View Poll Results: Where Elvis is concerned, do you wear "Rose Colored Glasses"?

Voters
83. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I own a pair!

15 18.07%
  • No, can't say I do.

68 81.93%
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Those "Rose Colored Glasses"

yup Elvis was a very complex person, I know That because I'm Complex person too.
    God Made me and Elvis complex person, I'm little deff'net complex way with me have speech probelm that's made me some complex person.
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by poormansgold76 View Post
    yup Elvis was a very complex person, I know That because I'm Complex person too.
    God Made me and Elvis complex person, I'm little deff'net complex way with me have speech probelm that's made me some complex person.
    Tom
    Tom, we are ALL complex in one way or another. God gives us different talents and abilities, and yes, even challenges to overcome. It doesn't make us any less valuable than the person that we look at and think "Wow...he/she has it all!". Those people who appear to "have it all", have their complexities as well...even though it may not show outwardly. If anything, IMO, having something to overcome like a speech problem or learning disability, for example, only helps one to grow as a person. It does tend to make you keenly aware of how unfair some people can be...but it also makes you a strong person, both in character and in your soul. Some of the best hearted people in this world have had to overcome difficulties...just like Elvis himself! He overcame poverty...rejection by his peers....lonliness....and various other things...and all the while, he was developing into the wonderful humanitarian that he was! God knows what He is doing....

Daddy, I miss you more every day. You will always be my hero..

TCB Mafia
    Quote Originally Posted by The King's Queen View Post
    Tom, we are ALL complex in one way or another. God gives us different talents and abilities, and yes, even challenges to overcome. It doesn't make us any less valuable than the person that we look at and think "Wow...he/she has it all!". Those people who appear to "have it all", have their complexities as well...even though it may not show outwardly. If anything, IMO, having something to overcome like a speech problem or learning disability, for example, only helps one to grow as a person. It does tend to make you keenly aware of how unfair some people can be...but it also makes you a strong person, both in character and in your soul. Some of the best hearted people in this world have had to overcome difficulties...just like Elvis himself! He overcame poverty...rejection by his peers....lonliness....and various other things...and all the while, he was developing into the wonderful humanitarian that he was! God knows what He is doing....

Beautifully said, Queenie.

Hugs,
    Kimmi

P.S. Tom, please take care!

International Level rhythmknights's Avatar
    Rose Colored Glasses, huh? My brother & my favorite movie as kids was the Lion King. We watched so much we knew all the words to it. We could recite on demand & even when it wasn't demand. There?s that one scene when Rafiki, the Mystic whacks Simba over the head with this walking stick. Simba asks why he did that. It doesn?t matter, it?s in the past.
    Simba replies, yeah but it hurt. Rafiki says kind of sad like, ?Yes, the past can hurt!?
    That?s what my rose colored glasses do. The past hurts, but we can learn from it & move on or let it maim us & stand still. I think Elvis was a Movin? On kind of guy. (There's my rose glasses)
    am I being pathetic? well, the month just began & I?m dead broke, my purse got stolenwhile I was at a club last night but since I?m dead broke, they got no money from me. The purse was kind of expensive gift from an ex ? so I?m not really sad that it?s gone, but still, it had my license & my one credit card ? that no one can use & I have a major paper due next week. Okay, off my pity pot. Who?s next?

btw, Elvis was very human & he kept telling us he was. "An image is hard to live up too!" If we didn't see it it wasn't because he kept trying to hide it. And even though he was one superfly handsome kinda guy back in the day, my favorite look was in the late 70s - like KingsQueen avatar. Sure he was on the chunkymunkey side, but i still love it! And this is one helluva thread, thanks!

A million words could not bring you back, I know because I tried, neither could a million tears, I know because I've cried.
    All I wanted was a white knight with a good heart, soft touch, fast horse
    Ride me off into the sunset Baby, I'm forever yours

rhythmknights...you said it well babe! I loved Elvis...faults and all. Any age, and any stage...he was "ALL THAT" to me...

Quote Originally Posted by Lonniebealestreet View Post
    We do see the positive side of things--like the CBS special Elvis In Concert, for example, and we see those things even if they are masked in negative elements (which we don't deny, by the way).
    Unfortunately, Lonnie, a lot of fans do deny the negative truths; and this does a huge disservice to Elvis' legacy and to Elvis in the 21st century.
    Getlo - cute'n'cuddly

To me a clear synthom of wearing rose colored glasses is having an excuse for every action Elvis did in his life. I think some fans have turned Elvis into their personal Jesus or something like that or need to think he was different from the rest of us. If that isn?t the reason I can?t understand how can they give Elvis the privilege of understanding his reasons for doing certain things and can?t have the same atittude with those around him, if this is not wearing a big pair I don?t know what can it be...

Quote Originally Posted by Donut View Post
    To me a clear synthom of wearing rose colored glasses is having an excuse for every action Elvis did in his life. I think some fans have turned Elvis into their personal Jesus or something like that or need to think he was different from the rest of us. If that isn?t the reason I can?t understand how can they give Elvis the privilege of understanding his reasons for doing certain things and can?t have the same atittude with those around him, if this is not wearing a big pair I don?t know what can it be...
    Good point!

Some people slam the Memphis Mafia and others around Elvis, all the while ignoring the fact that he was doing exactly the same things ...
    Getlo - cute'n'cuddly

I can see that everyone has his/her own definition of the so-called 'Rose Colored Glasses'
    I said i own one of them lol, but I (when I wear them lol) don't use them as an excuse. And that doesn't mean that i am trying to ignore the truth or something like that. I consider myself as a true fan and I accept Elvis as he was.
    Sometimes i am fed up of discussing the mans faults and his death, addiction etc. and would like to talk about the good things about his life and have some fun

This is a good thread Queenie

TCB Mafia
    Quote Originally Posted by Getlo View Post
    Good point!

Some people slam the Memphis Mafia and others around Elvis, all the while ignoring the fact that he was doing exactly the same things ...

In my opinion, the difference is, is that the Presleys have taken the higher ground, and aren't writing books, betraying confidences told in friendship and trust, to make money about what the MM got up to (as the MM did to their friend. "With friends like that, who needs .......").

Elvis' true friends, have spoken about Elvis' challenges publicly, difference is, they speak about him with love, empathy and understanding, talking about the whole man as a human being with challenges, like all of us, not talking about him to sensationalise stories, to again, sell another book (for Elvis week or the like) and to attempt to justify their behaviour.

Quote Originally Posted by Jess View Post
    the difference is, is that the Presleys have taken the higher ground, and aren't writing books, betraying confidences told in friendship and trust, ... not talking about him to sensationalise stories, to again, sell another book (for Elvis week or the like) and to attempt to justify their behaviour.
    ELVIS AND ME - Priscilla "Presley";
    ELVIS BY THE PRESLEYS - greenlighted by Cilla, Lisa and EPE;
    A PRESLEY SPEAKS - Vester Presley;
    The Stanley books - they were family, like it or not;
    THE PRESLEY FAMILY & FRIENDS COOKBOOK - Donna Early Presley;
    Grandpa Jessie - sold his story to the highest bidder in the 50s, and traded on the family link for many years, despite the estrangement;
    And all the stuff done by Lisa and Cilla for the 30th anniversary.

etc etc

And Lisa's book ... when she inevitably writes one.

In short, the family has traded in on the Presley name just as much as the MM and non-blood relatives. It's just that most of their stuff is sanitised way beyond belief.
    Getlo - cute'n'cuddly

Aren?t Guralnick?s books supported and recommended by EPE? As far as I know they are full of quotes from the MM...

Quote Originally Posted by Donut View Post
    Aren?t Guralnick?s books supported and recommended by EPE? As far as I know they are full of quotes from the MM...

Yes, I think they are, you are right.
    But...they are one of the best books ever written about Elvis according to me

Quote Originally Posted by marijaep View Post

Thanks for that Marija, i will now think about buying it as you and a lot of others seem to like it !!

International Level
    Grandpa Jessie - sold his story to the highest bidder in the 50s, and traded on the family link for many years, despite the estrangement;

etc etc

In short, the family has traded in on the Presley name just as much as the MM and non-blood relatives. It's just that most of their stuff is sanitised way beyond belief.
    No kidding! The darned colonel was right when he said the selling
    of Elvis by him before his death would pale in comparison by the
    selling of Elvis AFTER his death, by the heirs.

Loving elvis
    Quote Originally Posted by marijaep View Post

Too right Marija

Quote Originally Posted by Cherokee View Post
    No kidding! The darned colonel was right when he said the selling
    of Elvis by him before his death would pale in comparison by the
    selling of Elvis AFTER his death, by the heirs.
    By heirs...friends...family...and everyone else! LOL..Guess the ol' Colonel was right about that!

But who started it all and put it into their lil old heads????

Diane

Quote Originally Posted by Diane View Post
    But who started it all and put it into their lil old heads????

Diane
    That's the truth!

TCB Mafia

etc etc

In my opinion, there are people who like to harp on the same thing (prescription drugs, yes, he had them) and then there are those who say things with love, (his family, friends and fans) empathy and understanding for the whole story, who didn't happen to betray Elvis' confidence and friendship.

If anyone has a right to use Elvis' name, it is his daughter, and the fans would be upset, if Graceland (and promotions of Elvis' music) weren't still going. Where I live, families do keep family businesses going, when they have an interest in them.
    Last edited by Merry; 09-09-2007 at 09:27 PM. Reason: typo

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast