Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Something my girlfriend told me last night

Something my girlfriend told me last night

Since there has been so much talk about the new expansion plans at Graceland, me and my girl were discussing my blog last and about those changes. She really likes it and finds it all interesting. She was saying how from all of the things she has heard lately from me, and the media about the plans for Graceland that she wants to go there BUT after they make the changes in the next couple of years. She told me back in January of this year that she wanted to go see Graceland this year and we had talked of going during EP Week for the 30th. But after the talks began about the plans for a "New Graceland" within the next 3 years, I convinced her to wait. There would be much more to see and do and enjoy more of after the changes. So she agreed and we're going to wait. I told her we would just be waisting our money if we went now or before any of the changes have been made. As it is right now nothing there can compare with what it will look like in the next 2-3 years. She agreed and we have decided that once the changes are done, then we will go to Graceland and take in the "Ultimate Elvis Experience"!

My point for this topic is that for someone like us, it's best to wait and save our money for the new expansions to be finished before visiting. For the older fans I can understand not wanting to wait. But for the younger ones, I personally think it's best to wait. Graceland will still be the same then as it is today. The only thing that will be new and changed is the area around it. It will be a new experience for all like never before with new attractions filled with fun, enjoyment and a learning experience for the whole family. Anna is 23 and is the type where "more to do and see equals bigger and better and more fun" just as I am. That's what makes u compatible.

Also I expect the changes to all be complete by the next big anniversary celebration in 2012. I expect the new visitors center and museum to be opened by the summer of 2009 and the groundbreaking on the new convention hotel by 2009 and opened by 2011. I figure they will start groundbreaking and construction on the new VC sometime early next year if not within the next few months now that everything is a go. The who VC complex will probably take anywhere from 16-20 months to complete. Bob Sillerman wants this to happen ASAP so that the quicker they get things done the quicker they bring in a profit, up tourism, and launch EP into a newer generation and can do the things they want and plan to do. Besides that's what it's all about. To keep EP relevant and a hot commodity, and preserved for generations to come.
    Last edited by EP75; 09-05-2007 at 11:01 AM.
    http://i.usatoday.net/life/_photos/2...-overhaulx.jpg "Without a shadow of a doubt, Bob Sillerman is the BEST thing to happen to the Elvis World in a very long time. Even EPE have stated this. During the next ten years we should see a massive boost for the Elvis Legacy."-courtesy, Brian Quinn

Check out my blog on the new upcoming Graceland expansion and redevelopment.
    http://gracelandfuture.blogspot.com/

Isn't this already on another thread?

Daddy, I miss you more every day. You will always be my hero..

If you wait, you will be missing out on the original point of Graceland and the meditation gardens where Elvis is buried. It's fine to go once the new stuff is done - but I wish you'd experience it the it is now.....I think you'll eventually regret it if you don't. Just my opinion.

Sorry I tried to delete this but I couldn't find the right buttons. I already have been there and experienced the atmosphere around there back in 1994. And have talked to some who have been there since and it hasn't changed a bit since I was there. All that has changed is Minni Mae's bedroom is part of the tour on the first level. And the Sirius booth has been added. Everything else is practically what it was before I ever went and what it was back in the 80's even. So there's nothing new for me to see. And as I said, Anna is like me when it comes to "wow" attractions. More to see and do means more fun and excitement.
    http://i.usatoday.net/life/_photos/2...-overhaulx.jpg "Without a shadow of a doubt, Bob Sillerman is the BEST thing to happen to the Elvis World in a very long time. Even EPE have stated this. During the next ten years we should see a massive boost for the Elvis Legacy."-courtesy, Brian Quinn

Quote Originally Posted by EP75 View Post
    Sorry I tried to delete this but I couldn't find the right buttons. I already have been there and experienced the atmosphere around there back in 1994. And have talked to some who have been there since and it hasn't changed a bit since I was there. All that has changed is Minni Mae's bedroom is part of the tour on the first level. And the Sirius booth has been added. Everything else is practically what it was before I ever went and what it was back in the 80's even. So there's nothing new for me to see. And as I said, Anna is like me when it comes to "wow" attractions. More to see and do means more fun and excitement.
    With all due respect EP75 to both you and your girlfriend, but herein lies the conflict...not everyone goes in for the "wow"... Some just want the original atmosphere and surroundings. Not that cleaning up is a bad thing, as I have repeatedly said. It is just the "wow" factor that bothers me......think of it like this: We get "wowwed" now for the younger generation...then they grow up and get bored and they need to be "wowwed"...then it all changes again. If you can understand where I am going with this, then perhaps you will be able to understand the reasons why some of us feel that it needs to be left alone. Eventually, I'm afraid that the "wow" will overshadow the legend...if you get my drift. And no, not because I feel that Elvis won't continue on his own merit...but because eventually people may start to think "That place has just gotten too commercial" and then what happens? Odds are that if Graceland would suddenly quit turning a handsome profit...it would be closed to the public. So again, I ask you...Is this all about Elvis? Or all about the many ways to keep the money rolling in?? Guess we just see it differently...

Quote Originally Posted by The King's Queen View Post
    With all due respect EP75 to both you and your girlfriend, but herein lies the conflict...not everyone goes in for the "wow"... Some just want the original atmosphere and surroundings. Not that cleaning up is a bad thing, as I have repeatedly said. It is just the "wow" factor that bothers me......think of it like this: We get "wowwed" now for the younger generation...then they grow up and get bored and they need to be "wowwed"...then it all changes again. If you can understand where I am going with this, then perhaps you will be able to understand the reasons why some of us feel that it needs to be left alone. Eventually, I'm afraid that the "wow" will overshadow the legend...if you get my drift. And no, not because I feel that Elvis won't continue on his own merit...but because eventually people may start to think "That place has just gotten too commercial" and then what happens? Odds are that if Graceland would suddenly quit turning a handsome profit...it would be closed to the public. So again, I ask you...Is this all about Elvis? Or all about the many ways to keep the money rolling in?? Guess we just see it differently...
    COMPLETELY AGREE MY FRIEND!

Quote Originally Posted by ksimms2 View Post
    COMPLETELY AGREE MY FRIEND!
    Thanks Kelly...

Completely agree as well

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Clawdy View Post
    Completely agree as well

Thanks

You make good points. But let me point some things out.

1)EP isn't getting younger. But his fans are. However it has been the original fans that were there or born during his rein that makes the legend continue. What would happen if Graceland stayed the same and Bob Sillerman wasn't involved? It would eventually grow old and outdated as it is becoming now and would have to close due to lack of visitors. This however would come once the originals were gone and that would be within the next 10 years. EP would have been 72 himself. So imagine the fans who followed him since the 50's. they too are up there in age.

2)Graceland claims that more than half of it's visitors are 35 or younger. However that does not mean that even a half of the percentage is teenagers. There plan is to draw is bigger overall numbers and by making the place a "wow"experience those numbers will grow.

3)Kids go to Disneyland or Disney World and get wowed. But they never grow out of that phase either. EP is like that with his fans. Once you get hooked you're hooked for life. But how many kids actually are hooked on EP today? That's what you got to remember.

4)Graceland isn't a home anymore. It's not been a home since Delta Presley died. It's a national historical landmark and tourist attraction. It's not just for fans to go and visit his grave. It's a place to go and see the history and legacy he left behind. It's a museum practically. But the new plans call for it to be restored back to it's originality. Which should be a blessing to the die hard fans.

5)By making the changes and expanding it to give it that fan appeal and popularity that Disney has will only make it a bigger hit than it is today. Never do I see a commercial about visiting Graceland. But I see Disney all the time. That's what Bob Sillerman wants with Graceland. To be a major attraction to all ages and races. Graceland really doesn't have that appeal going for it today.

6)The "wow" affect will only make visitors want to stay and come back for more. Having the extra land and down the road they can expand even more to create even more new attractions.

7)There are hi-tech state of the art museums all over the world for historical figures. But there isn't one official museum for EP not even at Graceland. And now there are plans for a hi-tech interactive museum for visitors to discover and learn all about the man, and yet some holler. Go figure.

I'd like to ask you why it has to be Graceland where you need to find your "wow" attractions? As you have already been there and you obviously don't want to visit this boring place again and your friend doesn't seem to be an Elvis fan, are there no other already existing "wow" attraction places you could visit?
    I am just curious

1)EP isn't getting younger. But his fans are. However it has been the original fans that were there or born during his rein that makes the legend continue. What would happen if Graceland stayed the same and Bob Sillerman wasn't involved? It would eventually grow old and outdated as it is becoming now and would have to close due to lack of visitors. This however would come once the originals were gone and that would be within the next 10 years. EP would have been 72 himself. So imagine the fans who followed him since the 50's. they too are up there in age.

2)Graceland claims that more than half of it's visitors are 35 or younger. However that does not mean that even a half of the percentage is teenagers. There plan is to draw is bigger overall numbers and by making the place a "wow"experience those numbers will grow.

3)Kids go to Disneyland or Disney World and get wowed. But they never grow out of that phase either. EP is like that with his fans. Once you get hooked you're hooked for life. But how many kids actually are hooked on EP today? That's what you got to remember.

4)Graceland isn't a home anymore. It's not been a home since Delta Presley died. It's a national historical landmark and tourist attraction. It's not just for fans to go and visit his grave. It's a place to go and see the history and legacy he left behind. It's a museum practically. But the new plans call for it to be restored back to it's originality. Which should be a blessing to the die hard fans.

5)By making the changes and expanding it to give it that fan appeal and popularity that Disney has will only make it a bigger hit than it is today. Never do I see a commercial about visiting Graceland. But I see Disney all the time. That's what Bob Sillerman wants with Graceland. To be a major attraction to all ages and races. Graceland really doesn't have that appeal going for it today.

6)The "wow" affect will only make visitors want to stay and come back for more. Having the extra land and down the road they can expand even more to create even more new attractions.

7)There are hi-tech state of the art museums all over the world for historical figures. But there isn't one official museum for EP not even at Graceland. And now there are plans for a hi-tech interactive museum for visitors to discover and learn all about the man, and yet some holler. Go figure.
    Okay, I can give credit where it's due - he does make a good point - especially about us "older fans " not being around much longer and I especially like it if they are going to restore Graceland back to it's original state...decor, etc. BUT they better leave it at that inside those hallowed grounds our man is buried in......they can do whatever else outside those precious gates.....

Here's another one in complete agreement with you Queenie. This continuation of "WoW" stuff is going to breed a bunch of no imagination, no brains generation if it keeps up. From what I hear from my sister who is a high school teacher, between that and the drugs, it's well on it's way already.

Diane

Quote Originally Posted by ksimms2 View Post
    Okay, I can give credit where it's due - he does make a good point - especially about us "older fans " not being around much longer and I especially like it if they are going to restore Graceland back to it's original state...decor, etc. BUT they better leave it at that inside those hallowed grounds our man is buried in......they can do whatever else outside those precious gates.....
    You're seeing the light.

Okay...it is rather apparent that we don't see this the same way...and we never will. But let me ask you...

A) If most of the tourist that visit Graceland are 35 or younger...why do they need to draw in a younger crowd?? What's next...a "It's Now Or Never" potty chair??? Not meaning to be sarcastic...it just doesn't make sense to me...

B) I remember Disney..yes, there was a Disney back then..lol...and even though my memories are fond...I don't cruise the Disney websites everyday like I do this forum. To compare Elvis and Disney makes no sense to me. Two completely different catagories, and no where near the same appeal...

C) Restoring Graceland to it's original state is great. I just highly doubt that those who visit Graceland are there because it is a landmark, historical site, ect...they are there because it was and still is Elvis' home. He lived there...loved it there...and now he rests there. IMO, it is still a "home"...just by a different definition I suppose.

D) Sillerman is looking at dollar $$$...otherwise he would realize that age and race have never been an issue among Elvis fans. For instance, if you would look at this forum you would find all different ages...all different backgrounds, and all different races.

EP75...I see where you are coming from. You have made your case. I respect your opinions. Now then, please try to respect mine...I don't think Elvis has to have a big elaborate hi-tech museum to be remembered....Go figure.

Okay...it is rather apparent that we don't see this the same way...and we never will. But let me ask you...

A) If most of the tourist that visit Graceland are 35 or younger...why do they need to draw in a younger crowd?? What's next...a "It's Now Or Never" potty chair??? Not meaning to be sarcastic...it just doesn't make sense to me...

B) I remember Disney..yes, there was a Disney back then..lol...and even though my memories are fond...I don't cruise the Disney websites everyday like I do this forum. To compare Elvis and Disney makes no sense to me. Two completely different catagories, and no where near the same appeal...

C) Restoring Graceland to it's original state is great. I just highly doubt that those who visit Graceland are there because it is a landmark, historical site, ect...they are there because it was and still is Elvis' home. He lived there...loved it there...and now he rests there. IMO, it is still a "home"...just by a different definition I suppose.

D) Sillerman is looking at dollar $$$...otherwise he would realize that age and race have never been an issue among Elvis fans. For instance, if you would look at this forum you would find all different ages...all different backgrounds, and all different races.

EP75...I see where you are coming from. You have made your case. I respect your opinions. Now then, please try to respect mine...I don't think Elvis has to have a big elaborate hi-tech museum to be remembered....Go figure.
    Again, completely agree

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Clawdy View Post
    I'd like to ask you why it has to be Graceland where you need to find your "wow" attractions? As you have already been there and you obviously don't want to visit this boring place again and your friend doesn't seem to be an Elvis fan, are there no other already existing "wow" attraction places you could visit?
    I am just curious
    First off don't come at me in some kind of attack mode. Second the wow affect wasn't my idea but Bob Sillerman's. His own words at that. Yes me, my girlfriend and others my age and younger happen to like to be wowed by attractions. I don't get wowed at looking at unattractive buildings or surroundings. I got wowed a little at the first sight of Graceland. But after the tour and visiting the plaza, I wasn't wowed except for the cars and the planes. I was expecting more than was there. I know if I took Anna today to Graceland she would not be overwhelmed as some of you die hard fans are when you see it. She might enjoy it. but she wouldn't be wowed. I can assure that. So that was why I suggested we wait until the changes have been made. I'm sorry if you or anyone else has a problem with my own personal choices that I make in my life.

To simply answer your questions.

A)To lure in newer and younger fans and visitors they have to spice it up, make it hip and attractive and I don't mean a hip hop appeal either. I mean make it fancy in it's surroundings. Nice facilities a la Disney complex such as Epcot. Make it fan friendly (something it lacks today). make it children and family oriented.

B)Disney and Graceland are prpbably as close as the two could be. Mickey and Disney. Elvis and Graceland. Both world figures. Mickey is the Elvis of animation. Elvis is the Mickey of the entertainment world. Sadly though the fans think this is a knock on him but it's not.

C)You're living in denial if you think the only reason people visit Graceland is due to it being just his home. Think again. Why do people visit the Grand canyon, statue of Liberty, or Pearl Harbor? Because it is a historical landmark just as Graceland is today. Simple as that.

D)Exactly what is at Graceland today that would attract black families besides it being a historical landmark? I don;t think you or others see the importance of those $$$$ signs in the future of keeping EP popular.

And I do respect your views. but most don;t respect or even try to comprehend mine or the actual plans for this amazing and honorable tribute to the man. And that bothers me as a true fan.
    Last edited by EP75; 09-05-2007 at 01:45 PM.

I've been to Graceland when i was 16. Now i'am 23, i am getting ?old? though i am still ?young?. When i was there in Memphis, the only thing i was focused in was Graceland not its environmental. I mean i wasn't looking for any "wows" at all, i was there just to pay my respect to the MAN himself and to experience his presence while visiting HIS HOME and HIS and HIS FAMILY?S GRAVES (may they rest in peace).

Though i am "young", i think everything should stay as they are. Because no one has to satisfy "new generation Elvis fans'" thirst but someone has to teach them how to respect and how to protect some values indeed.

I dont think any of the Elvis fans, if they really are fans i guess, do need the ?wow? effect to stay and come back for more, eventhough they are ?young?.

If it is inescapable to make those changes and turn the place into a big curcius for new generation, let them do it unless they STAY AWAY FROM THOSE GATES.
    Long Live The King...

You're seeing the light.
    maybe..but you are still getting bonked on the head for that OLD remark!

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast