Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 36 of 36

Thread: Have Elvis's last years overshadowed his talent

  1. #21
    TCB Mafia The King's Queen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    2,467
    Quote Originally Posted by Diane View Post
    I don't ignore Elvis' addiction and everything else he is said to have done wrong, I,m very well aware of it all, it's just that I don't choose to make it the most important thing in my mind when I think of him and as I've said before, he had plenty of enablers to share the blame, plus as KPM says, I believe he did have an addictive personality.

    Generally after someone we love passes we like to think of the good memories we had with them and leave the bad ones behind so why can't we do the same with Elvis? I just don't get all these discussion on the drugs etc. If we fans continually do this, how can we expect non-fans to see him in a good light?

    Diane
    Always the voice of reason...thank you Diane...very well stated.

    Daddy, I miss you more every day. You will always be my hero..

  2. #22

    .

    Quote Originally Posted by Diane View Post
    I just don't get all these discussion on the drugs etc. If we fans continually do this, how can we expect non-fans to see him in a good light?
    Because if it's not discussed rationally and honestly - in the same way we'd discuss the music, the romances, the movies etc etc - then we fall into the same practices as EPE, ie presenting a sanitised, unrealistic view of Elvis to the world.

    It is better to be open and forthright about each and every aspect of Elvis' life, even the bad ones.

    I personally don't care if non-fans see Elvis in a "good" light or not. Our definition of "good" would be different to theirs. I'd prefer non-fans to see him in an honest, bulls**t-free light. Then they can make up their own minds as to what's "good" and "bad".
    Getlo - cute'n'cuddly

  3. #23
    TCB Mafia The King's Queen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    2,467
    Quote Originally Posted by Getlo View Post
    Because some things are black and white. People, addicts etc blame "circumstance" for their troubles when they - and the people who surround them - often don't take responsibility.

    And as for "pathetic" ...
    adjective

    1. causing or evoking pity, sympathetic sadness, sorrow, etc.; pitiful; pitiable: a pathetic letter; a pathetic sight.
    2. affecting or moving the feelings.
    3. pertaining to or caused by the feelings.
    4. miserably or contemptibly inadequate: In return for our investment we get a pathetic three percent interest.


    ... the word has been used incorrectly over the years and is automatically assumed to be a negative. I think definition No.1 aptly describes Elvis in the last few months, especially during Elvis In Concert.
    Sorry, but I don't see that some things are strickly black and white...

    As per your definitions...if you indeed meant it as a "sympathetic" type thing, then perhaps I misunderstood your post. I interpreted it to be a "negative" remark. If you did not intend it be such, then accept my apology.

    Daddy, I miss you more every day. You will always be my hero..

  4. #24

    .

    Quote Originally Posted by The King's Queen View Post
    then accept my apology.
    No apology necessary ...
    Getlo - cute'n'cuddly

  5. #25
    Cadillac King T_J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    England
    Posts
    424
    Sadly, yes. The last years and specifically the weight gain, drug problems and manner of his death, have overshadowed his achievements and talent in the eyes of the general public. Fans see the bigger picture of course. Even when there is a supposed complimentary piece in the media, it will generally start in a negative way. How often have you read a review of Elvis in his prime which starts with something like..."Before Elvis was the bloated, drugged, Vegas crooner, he was...." There's no escaping it and the language used is rarely sympathetic. Anyone who thinks this hasn't done profound harm to his image should ask a group of young people what they know or think about Elvis. I guarantee there would be a lot of comments about him being the fat, druggie, burger loving guy, but very little on him being a revolutionary musical force. Sad, but true.

  6. #26

    re

    It's a very diffucult question.
    I think because sometimes Elvis sounded very weak and was bloated,they would talk about how bad he looked,but on the other hand,i have read news articles of concerts in 1977,and the media is very exciting about him and says he still please the audience.
    I think his talent his overshadowed by people who are not fan,but like some songs of him,and know he was tin,and than he was fat,and says, because he died as a overweighted Elvis,he was a fat man and sick and he couldn't sing any more but people(the fans) who listen to his concerts from '76-'77,knows this isn't true and so as the reporters who were in the audience on those nights.
    I'd like to go to Graceland
    Memphis,Tennessee

  7. #27
    Let us not forget that Elvis is an ordinary human being and possessed all the weaknesses of being so. We will never know the true reason for his drug addiction that led to countless speculations. I always believe Elvis is a captive circumstantial victim of his own fame and glory. Being a celebrity of his status, his private life becomes an open book for public consumption and scrutiny. He is always vulnerable to temptation considering his easy access to practically almost everything he desired because he is Elvis Presley. Whatever transpired at the later years of his life tragic it may seems only attest to the fact that what goes up must come down somehow. Conclusively, he self destruct because he had reached the boiling point of his career, nothing to prove, nothing more to achieve. I will always look up to him as a singer, entertainer, an actor and a father but most of all a human being. No amount of words negative or positive can ever change the hard fact that he is one of a kind and there will never be anyone like him
    Last edited by ricardo b. prospero; 09-03-2007 at 09:59 AM. Reason: missing word "all"

  8. #28
    TCB Mafia KPM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    7,932
    Quote Originally Posted by jak View Post
    If youre a serious fan of Presley and his life's work you cant ignore the drug issue.In the mid to latter part of the 70's Elvis still had his moments of greatness.They were however much more infrequent.Elvis basically tarnished his own image because he couldnt control his own demons.The Elvis of 69 or 70 is a far cry from the guy on stage in Indy 6-26-77.It's hard to not mention the very thing that stole Elvis' creativity and eventually took his life.Elvis' drug addiction was the biggest factor in his life the last several years he was with us.It took over and dominated him.I just cant keep the blinders on.Nobody here is harming the Presley legacy by openly discussing the reality of the situation back then.I take the good and the bad with Elvis.I can discuss either because he was a complex individual with two sides.My post may seem negative but it's not meant to be.I just try to be honest and like the old saying,sometimes the truth hurts.
    Jak
    I am a serious Elvis fan because of the music and the talent. I firstheard his voice in 1961 and that is what made me a fan. My question is has the last years (74 on) overshadowed the other 20 years he was an entertainer?-I am beginning to think it has. No one has ever suggested blinders-I don't wear blinders. But it seems any attempt to understand why Elvis was Elvis is called naive or rose colored if it is not the accepted view. In my opinion that is a form of blinders also. Refusing to acknowledge there were things which affected him which he had no control over-things which shaped who he was.
    Things you have no control over help shape who you are- your parents, your childhood, your heredity. These are well accepted facts of science. If you just say "Elvis was drug addicted because that was his choice" that- IMO- from all I've read is unfair. It is wearing blinders to the last 50 years of research into what makes people who they are. Into why some are prone to certain mental and physical diseases, and why some are not. There is no shortage of info on ELvis to investigate his life and some of it is just dismissed as making excuses for his actions. I will say this again just because certain things are not readily visible to the eye does not make them any less valid as far as cause and affect. I have always been afraid of traveling to places new plus several other phobias. Having had some help on this in therapy I found out it a lot of it is fear of change-due to moving so much as child- no solid foundation. I still have problems with it-but I was constantly told by the therapist that I had not control over the moves as a child. Every one to some extent has things like this, including Elvis. Everyone, including Elvis, inherits certain traits and congenital problems. Many are small not important things but some are large things which have a huge affect on your life. IMO these are things which are being overlooked everytime the last years are brought up. Some have commented that Elvis just made wrong choices and his ultimate fate was his responsiblity.IMO its more complex than that, people are not characters in a poorly written play which only gives you a quick sketch of who they are. There is a lot hidden deep which
    makes a person who they are, and why they are that way. To black and white dismiss any persons problems as "Their choice" is not fair nor realistic IMO. Its a subject which I have had to study and learn from because it has helped me understand-me. If you are lucky enough to be totally well adjusted and phobia freesand your family has no history of addictions and problems, I am truely happy for you. It is a blessing and you may have trouble seeing this point of view. Not everyone is so blessed. IMO ELvis in these instances was not so blessed.

  9. #29
    Backstage Pass ilovelvis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    127
    When I first saw this topic and its question, I thought it was a very hard question to answer. I've read the responses and I will give my thoughts. I truly can't answer if Elvis' final years overshawdowed his talent because I feel I am too close to the subject. We all know just about everyone knows who Elvis is, from kids to older folks. Just exactly WHAT they know about him, I do not know. A poll asking the casual or non-Elvis fans or the regular Joe walking down the street would prove very telling. I've read comments on this thread where people say the first impression someone gives them of Elvis is about the "later years Elvis". I have come across this as well, but in most cases, if I start talking about Elvis, people who like him the way I like him, as a singer/entertainer, say great things about him. Females still go ga-ga over him and males still wish they had a little bit of Elvis in them. Possibly the people who don't like him, and know that I do, just keep their mouths shut. Hey, if you don't like Elvis, okay by me. A lot of people don't like Elvis, pre 1975 or otherwise. I really don't care. I figure, I like Elvis enough for the people who don't! . But, if you say you don't like him because of what you've heard and seen regarding the last years of his life, THAT'S IGNORANT in my opinion. You don't like his music or his singing, I can accept that. At a place I worked at many years ago, one of the girls (whose personality tended to be a bit on the negative side anyway) said she saw Elvis as a "beached whale". That comment went over my head. I DIDN'T see him, nor do I remember him like that. Yes, he looked very sad in his last years. And THAT'S what non-Elvis fans remember, how he looked when he left us. If he'd died thin, then what would people say about him? When he died, I was a teenager, and yes, I saw his weight gain in the last couple of years of his life. But I had NO clue about the drug problems until after he died. And none us know what went on behind closed doors. I'm tired of hearing 10 different accounts of the same stories about Elvis over 30 years after they've happened. The Memphis Mafia should get non-Elvis jobs and take their memories of Elvis, good and bad, and keep them close to their hearts, but I digress....sort of. The press eats up that kind of shit and everyone who has written books on Elvis is partly to blame. Of course he had his tough times, just like anyone, but it was Elvis' choice to take the drugs, just as it could have been his choice to get off of them or get whatever help he needed for whatever other personal problems he may have had. I was 16 when Elvis died and I remember my dad saying on the day Elvis died, "I hope he didn't kill himself". I got so mad at that comment, but years later, after some life experience and choosing to believe what I choose to believe about Elvis, I can't blame anyone else for Elvis' early death except Elvis and I hate to say that, but it's how I feel...and believe it or not, I miss him dearly.
    Last edited by ilovelvis; 09-03-2007 at 01:10 PM.

  10. #30
    Loving elvis
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    7,974
    l love elvis with faults and all, but to me thats what a true fan is supposed to be.

  11. #31
    TCB Mafia KPM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    7,932
    No man is an island -and if he is have pity on him.

  12. #32
    TCB Mafia Burning_Love's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    England, uk
    Posts
    2,390
    Quote Originally Posted by presley31 View Post
    l love elvis with faults and all, but to me thats what a true fan is supposed to be.
    Exactly..

  13. #33
    TCB Mafia jak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    S.C. USA
    Posts
    2,125
    If you are lucky enough to be totally well adjusted and phobia freesand your family has no history of addictions and problems

    In my case that is true.I dont have a single family member that smokes or drink.I tasted a beer about 25 years ago and wondered why people drink such poison.I must admit I may suffer from slight aracnaphobia.
    To your original question.Elvis' last years have overshadowed his talent to a good portion of the media and general public I think.Nothing can change what he did in his lifetime.He was the single most important person in popular cultural history.However his impact was long ago and time sometimes has a way of being harsh.Younger people cant realize what he did back in 56.It's more common for him to be a punchline to a joke.The impersonator's are helping out that negative image on a continous basis.If Elvis could have kept it together from 74 on we wouldnt be discussing this.Elvis was his own worst enemy in that regard.He supplied the ammo for the harsh critics.
    Jak

  14. #34
    PeacockLady Diane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Maine, USA
    Posts
    11,636
    Yes he did supply the ammo for the harsh critics Jak, but that just shows how much the media and the public thrive on sensationalism and not the underlining causes of why he was the way he was.

    They have absolutely no understanding and certainly no sympathy and that makes it a sad world we live in.

    Diane

  15. #35
    TCB Mafia KPM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    7,932
    Quote Originally Posted by Diane View Post
    Yes he did supply the ammo for the harsh critics Jak, but that just shows how much the media and the public thrive on sensationalism and not the underlining causes of why he was the way he was.

    They have absolutely no understanding and certainly no sympathy and that makes it a sad world we live in.

    Diane
    Thank you for that comment. IMO the ammunition supplied to the critics was from him, and his childhood, and his heredity-which made up the person he became. The lack of understanding for those factors which affect every single human (for the good or bad) does make this a sad world of extremes.
    No gray makes it a less complicated picture to draw but does not give a true representation of the subject.

  16. #36
    TCB Mafia jak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    S.C. USA
    Posts
    2,125
    Quote Originally Posted by Diane View Post
    Yes he did supply the ammo for the harsh critics Jak, but that just shows how much the media and the public thrive on sensationalism and not the underlining causes of why he was the way he was.

    They have absolutely no understanding and certainly no sympathy and that makes it a sad world we live in.

    Diane
    Im with you 100%.It's the way of the world.They build you up just to tear you down.It works that way for most celebrities.People seem to delight in watching others fall.Elvis gets almost no sympathy from the general public or media.They just dont understand him nor do they want to.The hardcore fans have always circled the wagons around him but we are not the majority.
    Jak

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. Elvis's Tour Bus?
    By EP4MEUK in forum Elvis Presley
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 08-04-2007, 10:00 AM
  2. Elvis ETA On America's Got Talent
    By jak in forum Elvis Presley
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-05-2007, 08:53 PM
  3. Replies: 23
    Last Post: 05-10-2007, 08:53 AM
  4. elvis's last will
    By masterbret in forum Elvis Presley
    Replies: 53
    Last Post: 01-19-2007, 04:57 PM
  5. Elvis and musical talent
    By rocker in forum Elvis Presley
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-11-2006, 03:42 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •