Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Elvis, "It's Midnight" and he says " listen Cilla"

Quote Originally Posted by jak View Post
    Anybody that listens to Desert Storm and says Elvis isnt stoned that night absolutely refuses to see the truth.That is one recording that I wish never would have surfaced.I bought the Baxter release when it was first released.I was absolutely shocked when I played it.It's an audio document of Elvis slipping away and losing control.Nothing about his behaviour that night can be justified as him merely "venting" his frustrations.This is when his drug use got to a point that he could no longer be counted on to function properly on stage.The signs were there before 74, but when Elvis allowed himself to go on stage in that condition it was a lost battle.That's not a slam or just my opinion,it's the way it was.You cant change history by trying to explain things away because you want to sympathize with Elvis.
    Jak
    I am not refusing to see the truth, I'm 52 years old-I have seen and heard what "wacked out" is up close and personal. IMO Elvis was not "wacked out"
    This is a subject which has been gone over here before and it always seems to end in a free for all. I am not refusing to see the truth, I did not say Elvis was not medicated, I did not say he was straight as an arrow. "Wacked out" in my experience brings to mind a totally different picture than what I hear on Desert Storm. "Wacked Out" is drooling at the mouth and having no control of any kind-inablilty to walk a straight line, inablilty to do normal tasks properly. I can lose my temper without being "wacked out"-especially if I have spent any time dwelling on the subject which causes me to lose it. So I don't think losing ones temper and speaking up is 100% proof of being wacked out. Politicans, movie stars, singers, people from every walk o life lose it at inappropriate times and are not "wacked out" The fact that Elvis lost it at all does show he was on the down hill slide I will concede that. In public for over 23 years and how many times do you see ELvis lose his temper in public-not many.
    Also if you disagree with my opinion fine, but your "definitive statement" of "refusing to see the truth" is an opinion in itself. Its my opinion if yours is different I respect that-but I do not think commentary on my opinion or anyone elses is needed. Thats how the arguments start. I say this with all due respect.

Quote Originally Posted by Lonniebealestreet View Post
    I've always been a little surprised by that, that he would so publicly reach out to her like that. It's one thing to introduce her to the audience and say they still have a great relationship, that their undoing wasn't about another man, that they bought each other these awesome gifts, etc. But to direct those lines to her, giving the impression to all that he wanted her back and allowing them to think that maybe were still apart because she didn't want him back...that is what is surprising.

I should note that I don't necessarily think he actually wanted that. Maybe he did want that for a while, or maybe he wanted her to think that, or maybe he was just being dramatic--who knows?
    In total agreement with you! Elvis had far too much pride to be that public with his private life. I'm just not convinced at all......I think some people have made it quite clear that Elvis longed for a "family" situation, but was not interested in a reconciliation with Priscilla. Theirs was a marriage that never should have been IMO...

Anybody that listens to Desert Storm and says Elvis isnt stoned that night absolutely refuses to see the truth.That is one recording that I wish never would have surfaced.I bought the Baxter release when it was first released.I was absolutely shocked when I played it.It's an audio document of Elvis slipping away and losing control.Nothing about his behaviour that night can be justified as him merely "venting" his frustrations.This is when his drug use got to a point that he could no longer be counted on to function properly on stage.The signs were there before 74, but when Elvis allowed himself to go on stage in that condition it was a lost battle.That's not a slam or just my opinion,it's the way it was.You cant change history by trying to explain things away because you want to sympathize with Elvis.
    Jak
    Jak, you and I don't always see eye to eye on these threads, but I have to say "BRAVO" on this one. I DO sympathize with Elvis...his was a confusing and sad life at times...but I too have the recording (Baxter release), and I found it very sad. IMO, he was NOT at himself. This was not typical Elvis behavior on stage in front of his fans... I feel very strongly that his "condition" was to blame. I think, and again it's just my opinion, that this was the beginning of the end so to speak. For Elvis to let the world see him in that way sort of implies that he was losing the battle...and maybe didn't even care anymore. Bless his heart...I wish someone could have changed his future. Makes me very, very sad....

Daddy, I miss you more every day. You will always be my hero..

Quote Originally Posted by King_Creole View Post
    Perhaps you should try hard and listen again ...

Of note: May Mann would hardly be someone I would call reputable.

She also claimed many times, (and wrote 2 books), she was one of Elvis' best friends !

Joe Esposito anyone ???

Ok, tell me another one ...
    She was considered reputable by most Holloywood actors and stars-if thats not your thinking-fine pal. But your opinion is just that. I don't need to listen again- I have heard it. I gave my take on what I heard and compared it to people I have seen personally who were "wacked out" there is no comparison.
    Perhaps that is the difference in our opposite opinions on this. So we will agree to disagree.

Now you are all entitled to string me up by the thumbs for this opposing opinoin.LOL

Quote Originally Posted by KPM View Post
    She was considered reputable by most Holloywood actors and stars-if thats not your thinking-fine pal. But your opinion is just that. I don't need to listen again- I have heard it. I gave my take on what I heard and compared it to people I have seen personally who were "wacked out" there is no comparison.
    Perhaps that is the difference in our opposite opinions on this. So we will agree to disagree.

Now you are all entitled to string me up by the thumbs for this opposing opinoin.LOL

Nahhhh...no lynching in the forum! I guess it would all basically depend on your definition of "wacked out"...wouldn't it? I know some people say it and mean a totally incapacitated individual...while others use the term and for them it means someone who is high enough to just not act like themselves. Either way...it's good to "agree to disagree".

Daddy, I miss you more every day. You will always be my hero..

TCB Mafia
    Jak

When this came up last time, I wrote to my friend and asked her about the situation. She was there that night. She is a lovely friend of mine, a close friend of Elvis', as well as some of Elvis' true friends, and was around Elvis and his closest friends for fifteen years.

What she shared is that Elvis was absolutely, and understandably, FURIOUS at a situation he only just learnt of (a bell boy (?) was rumour mongering about Elvis taking HARD drugs) just before he went on stage, as he and his whole family were insulted, his career, everything.

I don't blame him. I would, anyone I know would be furious! He then had to go on stage!

Elvis' friend yes, she does loves him, she does share with me things that would never compromise Elvis' trust in her; moreover, she shares with empathy, she also shares the whole truth, but with love, not with her own story mixed in, but as a true friend, who understood. She is like this with any fan who asks her, she doesn't hesitate to call a spade a spade and share the truth, from the eyes of a true friend.

Take care,
    Kim

in spite of everything that happened in his life,he was still on stage and entertaining..that's a winner..I would've been talkin to myself in my straight jacket in a corner most probably if I were in his place..well actually that's what I'm doing now..

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Trout View Post
    Absolutely 100% dead-on with this post, Jak!!

If Elvis had been "straight" that night I can guarantee you that we would have never heard language like that coming from him onstage.....
    You make a great point.Elvis never would have used that language in public while performing.These things only happened because he was out of control.
    Jak

Quote Originally Posted by Jess View Post
    When this came up last time, I wrote to my friend and asked her about the situation. She was there that night. She is a lovely friend of mine, a close friend of Elvis', as well as some of Elvis' true friends, and was around Elvis and his closest friends for fifteen years.

What she shared is that Elvis was absolutely, and understandably, FURIOUS at a situation he only just learnt of (a bell boy (?) was rumour mongering about Elvis taking HARD drugs) just before he went on stage, as he and his whole family were insulted, his career, everything.

I don't blame him. I would, anyone I know would be furious! He then had to go on stage!

Elvis' friend yes, she does loves him, she does share with me things that would never compromise Elvis' trust in her; moreover, she shares with empathy, she also shares the whole truth, but with love, not with her own story mixed in, but as a true friend, who understood. She is like this with any fan who asks her, she doesn't hesitate to call a spade a spade and share the truth, from the eyes of a true friend.

Take care,
    Kim
    Im aware of the bellboy story behind the incident.It's no excuse for what happened that night.Elvis acted totally unprofessionally.The ironic twist is that he was stoned while going on his tirade about drug rumors.Elvis was completely addicted at this point and was upset that his business was being aired in public.Elvis commented he had never been strung out.That of course was a total lie.He was just lashing out because he was under the influence and not rational.I know two people personally that attended that show that evening in Vegas.One of them saw Elvis around 150 times in concert from 1971 up until the last show in Indy.She told me she will never forget that show.She says he had "off" nights before that concert that she just chalked up to him being under the weather.That was the first night she knew Elvis had serious problems.Dont kid yourself.The latter part of 74 was a nightmare all brought on by Elvis finally losing his grip on his drug intake.Elvis' problems that night were a lot greater than a bellboy spreading rumors.I know my comments are depressing but the facts are obvious.
    Jak

Loving elvis
    Quote Originally Posted by Jess View Post

Take care,
    Kim
    thanks for sharing that bit of information jess

Loving elvis
    funny how topics got thrown right off and into other topics.

Quote Originally Posted by 4THEHEART View Post
    in spite of everything that happened in his life,he was still on stage and entertaining..that's a winner..I would've been talkin to myself in my straight jacket in a corner most probably if I were in his place..well actually that's what I'm doing now..
    Yes, most of us know the ugly facts but are still amazed that the man was able to continue in any form or fashion. I don't know why some have to keep pointing the ugliness out time and time again. Hey, I mean if there is someone out there that is ignorant to those facts....let them remain blissfully unaware! There's things most of us would be alot happier not knowing.
    Too funny about the straight jacket!
    ...you're moving on the back roads, by the rivers of my memory and for hours you're just gentle on my mind.

Well I'm one who's been told and read all about the "uglies" in Elvis' life and it doesn't change my admiration for the "real" person he was and his unbelievable talent.

Diane

Quote Originally Posted by King_Creole View Post
    This version is from the infamous DESERT STORM from his closing night Sept. 2, 1974.

Elvis is obviously wacked out of his mind during this performance.

This is also where he addresses the rumours floating around that he was STRUNG OUT and that he would pull that person's "G'**************** Tongue Out By The Roots..."

It is a highly embarrassing moment for Elvis and his fans to have to listen to.
    and a part of it you can listen here
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmLIBL4xgJ0

I have heard that "listen cilla" clip a week ago.. and the song is really touching and Elvis sings it use his feelings in it.
    [CENTER]"The only time I can be me is when I walk through the door and lock it from the inside" -Elvis

Thank you!He sure did loved her.Is a very sad song and it hits me right in my heart because I miss my ex too.When I listen to things like this is when I dislike Prescilla.She said she was going to die defending Elvis'legacy.Could it be guilt?money?both?I don't want to judge her,because I am not God.Those are things that us,fans will never know or understand.Is so sad that they had to part.
    "Man,I just work here"
    EP 1968 ComaBack

You know at times IMO I think some people are holding Elvis to the standard of the image that he had:
    The image of the shy humble country boy, who never cussed, never drank, never smoked, handled physical and mental problems without over medication, was not held by the laws of heredity nor up bringing as mortals are, never got his feelings hurt, never took offense at the gossip, never suspected motives of others, never felt down, never had doubts, never
    felt helpless, never had a care in the world always had a smile and never ever lost his temper in public.
    "Elvis the Image" would have never lost it for whatever reason as was done on "Desert Storm"! "Elvis the Image", carefully crafted Col. Parker driven image that was used to promote Elvis.
    People are quick to point out he was not this person-MR PERFECT. And when his actions prove he was not this image-IMO he is held to that impossible standard by some fans and press.
    Would "Elvis the image" ever cuss on stage-no way. But Elvis the man used profanity often from his return to Vegas in 69-(usually in a humorous way but he did it). Would "Elvis the Image" ever have girls on the side during his marriage-no. But it appears Elvis the man, did.
    "Elvis the Image" overcomes the laws of heredity and of his social situation -from birth to success- and has no problems adjusting to the physical and mental problems which affect every human by these factors.
    Elvis the man had problems IMO from both these universal factors in his life.
    "Elvis the Image" coped with all the success-the 360 degree change in his life in supernatural fashion which only Gods are able. "Elvis the Man coped the best he could like any mortal human does with mistakes and failures.
    "Elvis the Image"
    never did things in anger, nor in haste, he was able to think all the problems through and come to the best answers for himself and all around him. Elvis the man had a huge temper and did not always think through the problems of his life.
    "Elvis the Image" really did not need doctors, nor- heaven forbid- some type of shoulder to lean on in times of doubt or trouble.
    Elvis the man was physically flawed like every person ever born and he did need(if even he did not know it) someone to help him at times whom he respected.
    "Elvis the Image" had trusted family and friends who were there for him at all times and who always had his best interests at heart an who never let him down in any way shape or form.
    "Elvis the man had.......................(fill in your own ideas as you see it)
    "Elvis the Image"
    never had reason to doubt or mistrust the Colonel because he never made a bad deal and always was on top of the business in Elvis's best interest.
    Elvis the man did have some doubts about Parker in the 70s and some deals have been very very suspect for conflict of interest by Parker.
    "Elvis the Image" in conclusion,is expected to-be ominipotent every aspect of life-he is not human-he is a God.
    Elvis the man made mistakes, had problems, was overwhelmed at times, did not always make the right choices and should be allowed to be as human as anyone ever born without dissection and a double standard.
    Frank Sinatra was in Australia on tour in the 70s and he made statements which outraged the country. It was in the news and gossip columns for weeks. No one questioned if he was over medicated or that he was "wacked out of his head" or even drunk-Sinatras image of saying what he thinks and speaking his mind served him well. People did not see his actions as in conflict with who he was-but "Elvis the Image" could not lose his temper ever-and if he did the answer could only be drugs. Thats the reasoning of some it seems.
    Whether Elvis was straight, on normal meds, or was Wacked out of his mind -he could lose his tempor like anyone else-( happened to many performers before and many since) he was not above losing it.
    To say the straight Elviswould have not acted like that is to try and make him live up to,
    "Elvis the Image" who was perfect. IMO Thats a double standard-to constantly point out he was not that person-yet hold him to that standard as if he was that person. I hope this is clear-my emotions have gotten to me a bit. I try to keep that from happening but it does once and a while.
    But opinion is subjective-to who what and where you've been and what you've seen. I can never say-"This is the way it is without a doubt"IMO be cautious of anyone who does.
    Last edited by KPM; 09-02-2007 at 07:38 PM.

TCB Mafia
    Im aware of the bellboy story behind the incident.It's no excuse for what happened that night.Elvis acted totally unprofessionally.The ironic twist is that he was stoned while going on his tirade about drug rumors.Elvis was completely addicted at this point and was upset that his business was being aired in public.Elvis commented he had never been strung out.That of course was a total lie.He was just lashing out because he was under the influence and not rational.I know two people personally that attended that show that evening in Vegas.One of them saw Elvis around 150 times in concert from 1971 up until the last show in Indy.She told me she will never forget that show.She says he had "off" nights before that concert that she just chalked up to him being under the weather.That was the first night she knew Elvis had serious problems.Dont kid yourself.The latter part of 74 was a nightmare all brought on by Elvis finally losing his grip on his drug intake.Elvis' problems that night were a lot greater than a bellboy spreading rumors.I know my comments are depressing but the facts are obvious.
    Jak

Thanks Jak, I'm only repeating as I said, what a close friend, who spoke to Elvis constantly, who went on tour with him, who slept in his house, who knew him very well, for over fifteen years, said.

(Nothing meant by my words directed at you in any way disrespectfully, you know that about me).

Take care,
    Kim

Quote Originally Posted by Diane View Post
    Well I'm one who's been told and read all about the "uglies" in Elvis' life and it doesn't change my admiration for the "real" person he was and his unbelievable talent.

Diane
    You are quite right.The things I point out dont mean I think any less of Elvis.His talent and who he was still shines brighter than the negative stuff.I only say dont just casually explain away certain things in his life to excuse them.The things that some are quick to explain away is what killed the man.It seems that when Elvis was alive he couldnt get the help he needed for whatever reason.Now 30 years later many people still cant see what he was struggiling with.
    Jak

You are quite right.The things I point out dont mean I think any less of Elvis.His talent and who he was still shines brighter than the negative stuff.I only say dont just casually explain away certain things in his life to excuse them.The things that some are quick to explain away is what killed the man.It seems that when Elvis was alive he couldnt get the help he needed for whatever reason.Now 30 years later many people still cant see what he was struggiling with. Jak
    Thats a comment you and I can agree on for probably different reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by TurnpikeTaylor View Post
    he really did love her

But he was never truly, deeply in love with her. Big difference ...

He was infatuated with her when she was 14, then by the time she was 21, he was virtually cornered into marriage and fulfiling promises he was foolish to have made in the first place.

And, by the way, has anyone thought that the "Listen Cilla" comment could simply be an instruction - ie, maybe she was talking to someone at her table in Vegas, and Elvis was simply telling her to have the courtesy to listen to him sing? Just a thought ...
    Getlo - cute'n'cuddly

Quote Originally Posted by presley31 View Post
    I listerned to the desert storm, to but didn't think he was wacked out. He was just letting people know what he wasn't happy about, after all he was human.
    You can hear it in his voice ... he is speeding off his head. His talks border on raving at certain times in this show.

But it's interesting nonetheless ...
    Getlo - cute'n'cuddly

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast