Thread: Is the Elvis birthplace shack the real thing?

Is the Elvis birthplace shack the real thing?

A few weeks back there was a very popular thread regarding the Tupelo shack whether it was the actual original shack where elvis was born and if it was in the same location. Some folks who were due to travel there for Elvis week were going to look into this whilst there as there was some dispute as to the authenticity and obviously this is a very important matter for those visiting. So this is a question to those folks - did anyone discover any info, is it real or not? Is it in the actual location or not?

When I was there I visited the birthplace and there was a woman there who I questioned about this. I told her that it has been rumoured that this wasn't really the birth house and it wasn't even in the same location at all.
    She then told me that it was indeed the same house, but that it had been moved a little bit to this location. It is still on the same road, only just up a bit.
    But she did assure me that the house is the real house but it has had a few changes to it since, like a new roof and I think she said new floors but I just can't be sure of this bit.
    It's hard to know for sure when things are rumoured but I'd like to think that what she said is the truth and it is the real house.
    ELVIS THE KING - TODAY TOMORROW & FOREVER

International Level thehillbillycat's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Circle G View Post
    A few weeks back there was a very popular thread regarding the Tupelo shack whether it was the actual original shack where elvis was born and if it was in the same location. Some folks who were due to travel there for Elvis week were going to look into this whilst there as there was some dispute as to the authenticity and obviously this is a very important matter for those visiting. So this is a question to those folks - did anyone discover any info, is it real or not? Is it in the actual location or not?

No, it is not. I have met a person who lives in Tupelo and he told me that is not the real place. He is now 69 years old and lived in Tupelo all of his life. He remembers the original house. The original house was located about 200 yards from the one you see today.

Quote Originally Posted by Elvislennon2004 View Post
    No, it is not. I have met a person who lives in Tupelo and he told me that is not the real place. He is now 69 years old and lived in Tupelo all of his life. He remembers the original house. The original house was located about 200 yards from the one you see today.
    perhaps then it could be like Gerianne says, it is the original house but just moved a bit along the road?

International Level thehillbillycat's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Circle G View Post
    perhaps then it could be like Gerianne says, it is the original house but just moved a bit along the road?

No, it is not the original house either.
    Sorry to say that.

Their is nothing about that hosue that is the original house in which he was born in.

No, it is not the original house either.
    Sorry to say that.

Their is nothing about that hosue that is the original house in which he was born in.
    That is a big shame for all those who have been there and it is surely then a big con and robbery of the fans.

They said the house was moved to the location where it is now. I just don't know who to believe at this stage so I'll accept that it is the real house until proof can be found for sure.
    ELVIS THE KING - TODAY TOMORROW & FOREVER

re

To me was said it was the original house,and that only the floors and the roof was new....
    I'd like to go to Graceland
    Memphis,Tennessee

The only original part of the house is the door frame; everything else has been reconstructed. And it's several hundred yards (metres) away from where the house used to sit.

Several people informed me of that in Tupelo 20 years ago, including one who used to work for the house people.

It is, in effect, a reconstructionist musuem ... not that there's anything necessarily wrong with that. They just need to be honest.

The "site" certainly needs to have this there for the fans and the curious.
    Getlo - cute'n'cuddly

IMO Just because one man says something doesn't make it gospel. I have heard also that when the house was moved up the road they did "renovate the house quite a bit and it has had rotted lumber replaced in the framework to make it safe and sturdy for people to visit.
    Any famous home in America that is visited by tourists has had the same thing done to them-you can't have an unsafe structures being visited by people daily. There is nothing at all wrong in making it safe and sturdy. My own home has had a lot of reconstruction but its still the same house.
    I will admit the interior is spruced up and does not now look as it did when the family actually lived there.
    But from all I've read its suppose to be "the house" just rebuilt and moved.