Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Two different Aloha Suits and Liberace cape?

International Level thehillbillycat's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Trout View Post
    So....from what I gather from this information.....this "actual" January 14, 1973 "Aloha" suit still has not been accounted for??

Something's not right here...I swear that the suit on the left looks exactly like the one he wore during the "Aloha" telecast and the suit on the right is the larger suit from the later months of 1973 and into 1974....that's the impression I was given when looking at the photo.

I sse something wrong with the two Aloha suits. I can't say it right now because I need to go over with this with Leroy first to see what he thinks. I believe there is a puzzle that need to be slove quickly before we go on.

Leroy if you see this before your email please read it first as soon as I send it....

Quote Originally Posted by Elvislennon2004 View Post
    There is several different Elvis Day By Day. But your explanaton on the sideburns, I have already ask someone about that as well. The person said he wouldn't be able make them that long at all by just combing them. He says maybe using extentions yes but naturally combing no it couldn't happen. That is from hair expert who being growning hair for over 40 years.

My Elvis Day By Day book shows a photo of Elvis wearing the belt on October 1970. It is the first known photo of Elvis wearing the belt. Now, has any photo of Elvis wearing the belt in 1969 appear. No it hasn't.
    But also is to consider is the physical appearance of Elvis himself is typical for 1969.

Now, I hope Leroy doesn't mind this just trying to make a point here. I amd using quotes by Leroy from TKC.

He went to the meeting on October 2005.
    Quote:
    "Last sunday I went to an Elvis meeting in Rotterdam (the very first meeting I attended in my life, could you believe it?). The main reason for me was because Bill Belew was there and I was eager to talk to him. More about this later. I also spoke briefly (almost 4 hours) with Butch Polston from B & K Enterprises. A really entertaining man full of stories. Believe me guys, if he would ever decide to write a book he would blow me away. I thought I knew much.......
    Anyway, he was in a heated discussion about the "Mexican Sundial" when I approached him. After introducing myself I layed down some questions and off course one of the questions was about the "Gold Attendance Belt" and the hard headed pose of the Graceland Archives in this matter.

Butch knew the man who manufactured the belt (unfortunately he died) but Butch told me he saw the bill and it definately said 1969. He also told a story about the belt being lost for many years. It was stored away in a leather case. But nobody knew about this case they were just looking for the belt and couldn't find it. Until someone got the spirit to look upstair in the attick where Elvis kept all of his mother's clothes and stuff. There in a trunk they find the case with the belt. "

Now, for those who doesn't know. The jewels that is on the belt wasn't on there originally they was put on the belt on March 12, 1971. Here is the bill of sale:

Here is another photo from Septembet 9, 1970:

Photo of Elvis receiving the belt:

When looking at the evidence and photos. You can see differences in the sideburns. KPM, look through the photos on here from 1969 and then from the photos I provided and look at the differences.

But until a photo or a newspaper clipping that shows that Elvis recieve the belt in 1969 it can't be 100% confirmed. But it can be confirmed though that Elvis didn't get the belt on September 7, 1970 just by looking at his physical appearance.
    Well I just can't say so definitively from sideburns and pictures. Shading, type lens used, lighting, subjects expression (wide smile cheeks draw back-no smile cheeks lay flat) and as I noted hair style all make a difference in what you see in a flat picture. What I keep looking to is since Jorgenson and Guralnick both have researched Elvis for - probably all told together 20 years and since they have had access to thousands of records, logs, pictures etc-they must have gotten that date from somewhere? They had to be really sure for it to get through all the copy editors and rewrites to put anything in this book. Having looked at a photos I also noticed the hair length in relation to the high collars he wore and to be frank at times when his hair is in the collars it looks short. When its mussed over the collar it looks long and shaggy. Take a look at TTWII-at times it seems shorter than others when it is mussed. Of the concert scenes were shot close to a month before 9-07-70 and his hair would have grown some. I think IMO the jury is out on this as long as hair length is the only indication Or someone claiming to have seen the date for the belts delivery on an invoice. The gentleman may be 100% correct but there is no way to know for sure. I may try to find an e-mail or site for one of these guys and see if they will shed some light on where they got the date and why they were sure enough about it to print it as 9-07-70. Since Elvis gave a 3rd show that night at 3:30and the Col got the extra $12,500 for it I would think this night was a little easier to get documents and memorys -being the end of the month run. The earliest picture I found of him wearing the belt was on Dec 5th 70 at a wedding.

Mad Tigers
    Posted by Elvislennon2004:

I also spoke briefly (almost 4 hours) with Butch Polston from B & K Enterprises. A really entertaining man full of stories. Believe me guys, if he would ever decide to write a book he would blow me away. I thought I knew much.......

Then you better read the detailed long information as a statement Butch Polston made concerning the Aoha suits.

On Top of the page dated August 5th

http://www.epgold.com/news/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by Nobody View Post

Then you better read the detailed long information as a statement Butch Polston made concerning the Aloha suits.

So....according to Butch, only one (1) costume was produced for the "Aloha" telecast...am I correct?? Are we finally getting closer to solving this mystery??

So....according to Butch, only one (1) costume was produced for the "Aloha" telecast...am I correct?? Are we finally getting closer to solving this mystery??
    Ok, I am back. I was so confused that it was funny. Now, I am back to normal (what ever you call normal).

Ok, I have look closely at the jumpsuits. I mean right next to the monitor and looking to see differences in the suits beside the extra star. Well, I do see one difference.

The eagle on the left is bigger than the one on the right. Also, the space between the eagle's tale and the row of eagles on the hip has a different distance.

Now, with this along with the extra star on the one on the right I can say that it is indeed the Telecast suit.

But for the other one, is it a third suit or is it the rehearsal suit. I believe I found something that would proof what suit is which but I need a high quality photo of Elvis wearing the suit in 1973/74. I need a photo that you can see the top right (Elvis' right, our left when looking at the photo) of Elvis' jumpsuit.

Mad Tigers
    Originally Posted by Tony Trout

Yes, according to Butch Polston only one Aloha suit was made and Elvis wore this suit on the Alternate show January 12 and the Telecast January 14

Quote Originally Posted by Nobody View Post
    Yes, according to Butch Polston only one Aloha suit was made and Elvis wore this suit on the Alternate show January 12 and the Telecast January 14
    Here is Elvis wearing the suit at the Rehearsal Show. Noticed the red circle. Look at the three stars directly in line with each other.

http://img181.imageshack.us/my.php?i...earsal1kx9.jpg

Now here is Elvis at the Insert Session wearing the Aloha Suit. No stars are in line with each other at all.

http://img181.imageshack.us/my.php?i...sessiondr5.jpg

But I found somethng else while I am at it. I know that there is three suit made. But when I looked at some of the photos from the other dates of Elvis wearing the Aloha suit I see something different as well.

Ok, I pointed out that the suits stars are different on his right side. But when looking at this photo from the other dates.

http://www.tcb-world.com/elvispictur.../post%2018.jpg

Noticed that the star on his right side above the eagle are not in line. Makes you think it is the Telecast suit. But look under the eagle and no extra star is under that. It also appears that the eagle is closer to the row of eagles that is on the waist of the suit just as it is on the rehearsal suit.

So it makes me think this.

That the two suits that is display at Graceland are from the two Aloha shows and that the third suit was put away. Because I looked through my photos of Graceland of the Aloha suit and saw the same thing that is picture in the last link I provided.

But I have to see what Leroy thinks about this. I sent him the info I found.

Quote Originally Posted by Elvislennon2004 View Post
    Here is Elvis wearing the suit at the Rehearsal Show. Noticed the red circle. Look at the three stars directly in line with each other.

http://img181.imageshack.us/my.php?i...earsal1kx9.jpg

Now here is Elvis at the Insert Session wearing the Aloha Suit. No stars are in line with each other at all.

http://img181.imageshack.us/my.php?i...sessiondr5.jpg

But I found somethng else while I am at it. I know that there is three suit made. But when I looked at some of the photos from the other dates of Elvis wearing the Aloha suit I see something different as well.

Ok, I pointed out that the suits stars are different on his right side. But when looking at this photo from the other dates.

http://www.tcb-world.com/elvispictur.../post%2018.jpg

Noticed that the star on his right side above the eagle are not in line. Makes you think it is the Telecast suit. But look under the eagle and no extra star is under that. It also appears that the eagle is closer to the row of eagles that is on the waist of the suit just as it is on the rehearsal suit.

So it makes me think this.

That the two suits that is display at Graceland are from the two Aloha shows and that the third suit was put away. Because I looked through my photos of Graceland of the Aloha suit and saw the same thing that is picture in the last link I provided.

But I have to see what Leroy thinks about this. I sent him the info I found.

*cues "The Twilight Zone" music*

The mystery continues to deepen.....
    Last edited by Tony Trout; 09-05-2007 at 07:47 PM.

*cues "The Twilight Zone" music*

The mystery continues to deepen.....

You got that right. I always agree with Leroy. But then I doing my own research and seeing the stars are different. Twilight Zone is right. I wonder where Leroy is when I need his thoughts............

The stars on the three photos of the Aloha suits are all different so it now leads to believe that now.

1. Originally the third suit was display.
    2. Then in recent years that the rehearsal suit was display.
    3. Then the actual Aloha suit is now display right by the rehearsal suit.
    4. The third suit is the one actual suit put away.

What's next!!!!!

Mad Tigers
    Posted by Elvislennon2004:

I also spoke briefly (almost 4 hours) with Butch Polston from B & K Enterprises. A really entertaining man full of stories. Believe me guys, if he would ever decide to write a book he would blow me away. I thought I knew much.......

Then you better read the detailed long information as a statement Butch Polston made concerning the Aoha suits.

Elvislennon2004, funny to see how Butch Polston's statement is getting completely ignored.

But Like Butch said:

If people want to believe what I've told them,then I say "fine". I'm merely going by facts that I've seen on paper and stories that I was told by the original designers. However, if people feel that Angie's information has more validity, that's also fine.

Note EpGold:

Butch wrote in this article:

This was during the mid-80's. At that time,Gene had a photographic memory for both design and details.

So, Angie Marchese remark on memories do fade is nonsense and indeed Butch did his detective work on this issue in the mid-80's and only came to this conclusion according to the documents written in Bill Belew's handwriting, Express Mail tags, Gene's remembrance, etc.

Angie Marchese from EPE is the same person who is responsible for the finalized publication of the booklet " Elvis Jumpsuits All Acess" that was made for the Sincerely Elvis costume display 2007.

Without even consulting Bill Belew, Gene Doucette and Butch Polston for a check-up on all information and details, this recent publication is according to Bill, Gene an Butch full of misstakes!!!

Like Angie said.... Memories do fade.....

Backstage Pass

Just a question

Has anyone seen photos of Elvis wearing this suit in 1974 with the pleats visible? I saw various pictures from 1974 with Elvis wearing blue scarves. Could it be that the version of the suit worn in 1974 had blue pleats (like the 'American Eagle')?? Just asking.

The kick pleats were dark red lined. On all models.

Backstage Pass
    Thanks Leory

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234