Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Two different Aloha Suits and Liberace cape?

Ok guys, so what you're saying is that the suit which is presently on display in Graceland is the Aloha Suit. Here is a photo of the "Graceland suit" from the beginning of August

Quote Originally Posted by jon_burrows View Post
    Ok guys, so what you're saying is that the suit which is presently on display in Graceland is the Aloha Suit. Here is a photo of the "Graceland suit" from the beginning of August

The suit that is pictured here (if I'm thinking correctly) is the second suit that was manufactured in the later months of 1973 and into 1974.

The third suit!

Quote Originally Posted by Leroy View Post
    The third suit!

OOOPPSS! Yep, you're right...I just had a momentary lapse of brain wave activity and forgot...

(By the way, please check your PM's Leroy...)

International Level thehillbillycat's Avatar

That is the Aloha suit but not the one he wore during the Rehearsal or Telecast. That is the third suit in which he wore during the tour of the other states in 1973 and 1974.

The cape that is display is the actual cape in which he threw into the audience and made it way back to Graceland.

Quote Originally Posted by Elvislennon2004 View Post
    That is the Aloha suit but not the one he wore during the Rehearsal or Telecast. That is the third suit in which he wore during the tour of the other states in 1973 and 1974.

The cape that is display is the actual cape in which he threw into the audience and made it way back to Graceland.

Yeah, this is what I thought. Thanks.

Mad Tigers
    The cape don't see so big and fantastic in television or Dvd.
    Last edited by Memory; 09-02-2007 at 07:50 AM. Reason: mistake

Quote Originally Posted by Memory View Post
    The cape don't see so big and fantastic in television or Dvd.

This cape pictured above was worn in the Aloha Concert.

It isn't the original long cape which is shown below.

Last edited by jon_burrows; 09-02-2007 at 09:15 AM. Reason: misleading

This is the cape worn in the Aloha Concert.

What???

Elvis wore the short cape in both Aloha shows!
    Getlo - cute'n'cuddly

Quote Originally Posted by Getlo View Post
    What???

Elvis wore the short cape in both Aloha shows!

No, he meant the cape that you see in the post by jon_burrows is the one he wore in the Aloha shows.

Remember, he said this.

This cape pictured above was worn in the Aloha Concert. meaning the photos of the cape at Graceland.
    It isn't the original long cape which is shown below. which he showed below.

The long cape is the first cape for the Aloha suit. It was the original cape but it was too heavy for Elvis. The short cape was the second one and that is the one Elvis threw in the audience.

Quote Originally Posted by King_Creole View Post

This photo is the third "Aloha Bald-Headed Eagle" suit that was used during later tours of 1973 and 1974. If I'm also correct the belt he is wearing is also different.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Trout View Post
    This photo is the third "Aloha Bald-Headed Eagle" suit that was used during later tours of 1973 and 1974. If I'm also correct the belt he is wearing is also different.

Right on both accounts. That is the third Aloha Suit. The Belt is the different as well. The first belt was given to Jack Lord. The second belt was thrown into the audience during the telecast. Those belts had stars in the middle on the top and bottom rows on the buckle. The third belt had red stones at those locations.

Notice photo from Aloha:
    http://www.tcb-world.com/gallery/sho...p?i=38443&c=27

Here is the third Aloha suit during 05-13-73:
    http://www.tcb-world.com/gallery/sho...p?i=37431&c=31

Right on both accounts. That is the third Aloha Suit. The Belt is the different as well. The first belt was given to Jack Lord. The second belt was thrown into the audience during the telecast. Those belts had stars in the middle on the top and bottom rows on the buckle. The third belt had red stones at those locations.

Notice photo from Aloha:
    http://www.tcb-world.com/gallery/sho...p?i=38443&c=27

Here is the third Aloha suit during 05-13-73:
    http://www.tcb-world.com/gallery/sho...p?i=37431&c=31

What caused Elvis to give the very first belt away to Jack Lord? Was it another moment of his being generous to a fellow entertainer that he admired??

What caused Elvis to give the very first belt away to Jack Lord? Was it another moment of his being generous to a fellow entertainer that he admired??

I guess. I really don't know. Jack Lord showed it during a interview a few years before he passed away.

Mad Tigers
    This is what I just found on the mesageboard Pep writing a bout Leroy Smith article

Now Pep is saying Leroy is misstaken and only one suit was made for Aloha

But didn't Angie Marchese write to Pep the following e-mail:

Not the invoice from January 73. IC only invoiced items once they were give to Elvis not when they were ordered. Vernon would only pay for items that they had received. That was his way of making sure they got what they were being billed for. That is apparent over and over again as we go through the document collection.

It also has been rumored for many years that the 2nd Aloha/Eagle suit was not delivery to Graceland until March of 1973. I had heard and at one time believed that as well. Because a person involved with the making of the suits had told that to me.

One thing I have learned from being in the archives is that memories and stories do fade and change over the years. That is why we rely on our documents/photos and videos to confirm historical fact about our collection.

As mentioned before, it was by close viewing of both shows and photo research in our collection that you can confirm without a doubt that the suits worn by Elvis in those shows are different, small differences, but enough of them to confirm that there were indeed two (2) Eagle Suits in Hawaii in January 1973.

Hope this answers your questions,

Angie

According to Leroy (and I believe that he's also a member here but I'm not sure), Elvis used two different jumpsuits for the Aloha shows. He wore one suit for the rehearsal and a different suit for the actual "Aloha" telecast and then there was another "Aloha Bald-Headed Eagle" suit that was manufactured after the February 1973 LV shows for use on the later tours of that year and into a part of 1974 because Elvis had gained some weight.

Take Care,
    Tony T.

In my opinion I think Leroy is mistaken, here again for a number of reasons.

One of the main reasons is because of what Angie said as it makes sense an like I said there appears to be No motive for EPE to hide information at least for something like this.

Two because if we go a little further on our own we can see the dart area going through the three nail heads in the same way on the left hand side of the suit which is like an imprint which can be seen on the front of the suit are consistent from the suit worn on January 12th 1973 through to 1974.

Third reason because there was No reason to have a third suit made.

Fourth reason by the time 74' came around the suit was starting to look small on Elvis as it was not fitting on him the way that it should have because of the extra weight gain which can even be seen in this picture the suit is stretched to the point where the zipper is visable.

Yet there appears to be nothing let out on the suit nor does it appear any nail heads were taken off and put on a different area of the suit or that there seems to be new nail heads added, the suit itself has only been stretched by what we can see in the picture nothing more, because the suit was originally designed to fit Elvis back in January of 73'.

There is nothing that I can see or that has been said at this point to have me believe there was a third suit, an that I guess is the bottom line.

I would not believe word over there at all. They want you believe what they said. There has been proof of three Aloha suits. The two that is display at Graceland is what I would call the first and third suits. I say this because:

1. The Rehearsal Suit was worn first and the other suit was worn during the 1973/1974 tours.

The actual Aloha Suit the he wore in the telecast has never been display at Graceland to my knowledge.

Now, if you ever noticed. Graceland folks can never make up there minds at all. Some times when you see the third suit that it is display with either the later belt for the suit or with the 1969 Gold Attendance Belt.

I bet he believes Graceland when they say that Elvis recieve the Gold Attendence Belt in 1970 when actually he receieve it in 1969.

He believes that they wouldn't lie about these things but when given proof of certain things they still back up what they say.

He says that Ed Parker got the original Aloha belt when actually Jack Lord got it. Jack Lord even showed the belt on TV a few years before he passed away and said that this is the original belt and not the one he threw into the audience. Jack Lord did recieve another belt too later on from Elvis. The Aloha belt that Jack Lord owned is still within the family.

I would say take the word for a expert on jumpsuits like Leroy then anyone from FECC who thinks the people at Graceland tell 100% truth.
    Last edited by thehillbillycat; 09-03-2007 at 06:40 PM.

I would not believe word over there at all. They want you believe what they said. There has been proof of three Aloha suits. The two that is display at Graceland is what I would call the first and third suits. I say this because:

1. The Rehearsal Suit was worn first and the other suit was worn during the 1973/1974 tours.

The actual Aloha Suit the he wore in the telecast has never been display at Graceland to my knowledge.

Now, if you ever noticed. Graceland folks can never make up there minds at all. Some times when you see the third suit that it is display with either the later belt for the suit or with the 1969 Gold Attendance Belt.

I bet he believes Graceland when they say that Elvis recieve the Gold Attendence Belt in 1970 when actually he receieve it in 1969.

He believes that they wouldn't lie about these things but when given proof of certain things they still back up what they say.

He says that Ed Parker got the original Aloha belt when actually Jack Lord got it. Jack Lord even showed the belt on TV a few years before he passed away and said that this is the original belt and not the one he threw into the audience. Jack Lord did recieve another belt too later on from Elvis. The Aloha belt that Jack Lord owned is still within the family.

I would say take the word for a expert on jumpsuits like Leroy then anyone from FECC who thinks the people at Graceland tell 100% truth.

I visit the FECC board sometimes and I confronted PEP about the obvious mistakes in the info he had posted. I still say that Leroy is 'Da Man" when it comes to jumpsuit info!!

I visit the FECC board sometimes and I confronted PEP about the obvious mistakes in the info he had posted. I still say that Leroy is 'Da Man" when it comes to jumpsuit info!!

Same here!!!

Mad Tigers
    The Aloha belt that Jack Lord owned is still within the family.

Can anyone support this story?

Only the belt Elvis threw into the crowd are accounted for.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast