Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Has anyone read this book???

Lightbulb Has anyone read this book???

I am getting ready to read the book:

Careless Love: The Unmaking of Elvis Presley

Has anyone read it? If so, is it worth the time? I "swore off" the EP books quite some time ago, because most of them seemed to be one-sided and untruthful. Just wondering about this one...

Daddy, I miss you more every day. You will always be my hero..

no I haven't read this one, I did read, Jerry Schilling's, Me and a guy named Elvis and it was very good. I am also getting from a friend a couple of Elvis books, I'll let you know once I read them, I think one is called "Down at the end of lonely street" and the other is just called, "Elvis" by Albert Goldman or someone. Plus I ordered Joe Esposito's new book and it hasn't come in yet

Ive read Joes book. I really liked it. It has quotes from alot of people that knew and worked with Elvis. The one thing I noticed is that he says that he and everyone around Elvis tried to help him as much as they could or that he would let them help, but the fans accepted him the way he was so he didnt work harder on getting back into shape and that if the fans would have sworn to leave him he would have done something about it. As fans blame those guys, the guys blame the fans. I guess we all loved him to much.
    I wouldnt come back out there for love nor money.

Cadillac King
    DO not under any circumstances read the Goldman book. It is the worst piece of trash you have ever seen in your life. IT will make you ill. IT BUTCHERS ELVIS' REPUTATION WORSE THAN ELVIS WHAT HAPPENED. I THREW MINE AWAY. PEOPLE WERE GLUING THE PAGES TOGETHER WHEN IT FIRST CAME OUT. IT IS A HORRIBLE BOOK.

Quote Originally Posted by The King's Queen View Post
    I am getting ready to read the book:

Careless Love: The Unmaking of Elvis Presley

Has anyone read it? If so, is it worth the time? I "swore off" the EP books quite some time ago, because most of them seemed to be one-sided and untruthful. Just wondering about this one...

One of the best, along with the first volume - Last Train to Memphis. It's not always pleasant reading, but it's compassionate and appears to be a true account.

gpowers
    when you finish let us know what its about and if its worth us buying it. thanks

Loving elvis
    I did enjoy reading that book, it makes a good read.

Yes I have it, it is a rather good book, I enjoyed reading it, had some interesting tidbits in it.

International Level Menwithbrokenhearts's Avatar
    I read both book in this set. REad "Last Train to Memphis" first. Guralnick researched that book 10 years and when you read it you are literally transported back in time. When I read "Careless Love" I felt like it was rushed together and drew from alot of already published books. It's still pretty good, but he says stuff about how bloated and ill Elvis looked on Aloha and how his voice wasn't up to par. I totally disagreed with that. There's a few other things I felt were thrown in there without much research. It's still a good read, and really sad at the end.
    Got my family, my kids, my books and my music, I'm good, yeah, I'm good.....

Quote Originally Posted by Menwithbrokenhearts View Post
    I read both book in this set. REad "Last Train to Memphis" first. Guralnick researched that book 10 years and when you read it you are literally transported back in time. When I read "Careless Love" I felt like it was rushed together and drew from alot of already published books. It's still pretty good, but he says stuff about how bloated and ill Elvis looked on Aloha and how his voice wasn't up to par. I totally disagreed with that. There's a few other things I felt were thrown in there without much research. It's still a good read, and really sad at the end.
    I have to agree w/u on the point about Aloha, now if he'd said that about some of Elvis' 76 performances or 77, I'd be like...hmmm well ok...but not the Aloha and NO WAY did he look bloated, so not quite on the mark w/that.
    What I did find interesting is interview w/Pris where she said Elvis TOLD HER about Ann-Margret and his women, that he didn't hide it, yet all other accts. supposedly he denied???? So that was very revealing to me.
    I have the first edition and there is actually a typo in it that he or publisher changed in the other printings...under the family pic of Elvis, Lisa & Pris it says 1971 but it's really 1970...I thought that was cool, don't know why but I do rof.

Oooo i have always wanted to read this so i would like to know..is it worth buying ??

Hi Burning Love
    I think so...
    The book I REALLY love though, by this author is Elvis Day by Day, EXCELLENT.

TCB Mafia
    it is a good book but often sad too

Coming On Strong
    It chronicled well the dates and events in his life. Even though there's no such thing as a "perfect" biography...authors can't help but conveying own perspective and information may be incomplete...this book, along with Last Train to Memphis is well researched and is the best biography about Elvis, IMO. But, it was so sad and heartbreaking reading the last half of this book. I've never felt such emotion reading a book.
    Last edited by Rhinestone; 08-29-2007 at 04:20 AM.

I have read it and I have to say it is the best biography ever made.. and many people have said same.

I also think it is a quite sad sometimes.. really emontional book.

There are some unbelievable things.. and as I know the book is the truth story even so much stuff you never could believe.

I really recommend it.

I have planned to read it second time soon..
    [CENTER]"The only time I can be me is when I walk through the door and lock it from the inside" -Elvis

Quote Originally Posted by CRITTERGITTER View Post
    DO not under any circumstances read the Goldman book. It is the worst piece of trash you have ever seen in your life. IT will make you ill. IT BUTCHERS ELVIS' REPUTATION WORSE THAN ELVIS WHAT HAPPENED. I THREW MINE AWAY. PEOPLE WERE GLUING THE PAGES TOGETHER WHEN IT FIRST CAME OUT. IT IS A HORRIBLE BOOK.
    thanks for the advice, there are so many Elvis books out there and you just never know which to read. I try and get everyone's perspective because somewhere in between is the truth.

Thanks to all who have posted on this thread. I have ordered the book, and am waiting for it to arrive. I will read it...although so many comments have labeled it as "sad"... ...I must admit that I am dreading it in a way. I have this uncanny knack of suffering with people...don't know why, but I've just always been that way...so I dread feeling his desparation in the last half of the book. However, when I do read it, I will certainly post on it to let everyone know my opinion. LOL...let's not forget that I have been accused of wearing those "rose colored glasses" when it comes to my man Elvis...so my opinion could be lop-sided!

Daddy, I miss you more every day. You will always be my hero..

Quote Originally Posted by T_J View Post
    One of the best, along with the first volume - Last Train to Memphis. It's not always pleasant reading, but it's compassionate and appears to be a true account.
    Agreed.

These two volumes together are fantastic reading!
    Getlo - cute'n'cuddly

Quote Originally Posted by The King's Queen View Post
    Thanks to all who have posted on this thread. I have ordered the book, and am waiting for it to arrive. I will read it...although so many comments have labeled it as "sad"... ...I must admit that I am dreading it in a way. I have this uncanny knack of suffering with people...don't know why, but I've just always been that way...so I dread feeling his desparation in the last half of the book. However, when I do read it, I will certainly post on it to let everyone know my opinion. LOL...let's not forget that I have been accused of wearing those "rose colored glasses" when it comes to my man Elvis...so my opinion could be lop-sided!
    I'm say way...I "live" their moments with them.....and it hurts....really bad.

Albert Goldman made a career out of trashing dead celebs. He did the same hatchet job to John Lennon.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast