Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Even the most terrible of Elvis movies serve a useful purpose

Even the most terrible of Elvis movies serve a useful purpose

As there have been lots of Elvis' movies on tv recently it started me thinking about them.

Athough I love Elvis, I have to admit many of these films are embarrasing to watch especially in company, many have been rightly panned by critics and fans alike as simple, formulaic and corny, however these films are how many fans of today like myself had their first introduction to Elvis.

When I was about eight years old these films like 'Paradise Hawiian Style' and 'Spinout' on the BBC were my introduction to Elvis. They were easy to follow, they were colourful and full of fun and I loved them Perhaps the films shown over the past weeks will similarly provide an easy introduction for todays youngsters. Yes, perhaps they will grow to loathe them but many will still have become hooked on Elvis.

Love them or loathe them, if they work today as they did for me all those years ago they will certainly have proved their worth.

What do you think?

I recently watched some Elvis movies I'd never seen before....."Easy Come, Easy Go" and what is the name of the one with the big dog in it? Where he sings "Little Less Conversation"? Well that one, I thought was horrible....it also co-starred Dick Sargent or was it Dick York? One of the Darren's...lol....but man....it was just horrible.

But either way....I just love seeing him on the screen ya know?

Quote Originally Posted by ksimms2 View Post
    I what is the name of the one with the big dog in it? Where he sings "Little Less Conversation"? Well that one, I thought was horrible....it also co-starred Dick Sargent or was it Dick York? One of the Darren's...lol....but man....it was just horrible.

It is Live A Little, Love A Little. The dog was Elvis' real-life great dane, Brutus.

And it was Dick Sargent, who was the second Darrin in Bewitched.
    Getlo - cute'n'cuddly

TCB Mafia
    I like that film alot because of the beautiful scenes where you can see him playing with his own dog at the beach

TCB Mafia
    As a kid i "loved" to see most of his movies.

I still like them

especially blue hawaii, viva las vegas, clambake, girls girls girls, frankie and johnnie.

He was just gorgeous to look at and I could spend hours staring at him in awe.

Now I have not that much time anymore but still have great memories of those pictures.
    Until now I don't have any of those on dvd tough.

I would love EPE to bring out "all" the songs of all the movies on dvd's.

Wouldn't that be great.

From Elvis Presley Blvd Lonniebealestreet's Avatar
    I recently watched some Elvis movies I'd never seen before....."Easy Come, Easy Go" and what is the name of the one with the big dog in it? Where he sings "Little Less Conversation"? Well that one, I thought was horrible....it also co-starred Dick Sargent or was it Dick York? One of the Darren's...lol....but man....it was just horrible.

But either way....I just love seeing him on the screen ya know?
    Seems to me that if you consider that one horrible then you would likely only find a handful of them tolerable in the least. Or maybe I am just weird in finding LAL,LAL enjoyable. It's silly, sure, but it's mostly good fun and Elvis looks good and does a fine acting job and the songs are top-notch. It doesn't ding the bell on my cheese-o-meter like some of the other ones do anyway.
    ...you won't forget me when I go.

TCB Mafia
    Live a little love a little
    Here Elvis looked at his outmost best.
    He was always good looking but OMG in that movie , I never saw him looking any better in his whole life. Equally beautiful to his looks in the 68 special

Hi ya, I was searching the web and found the following:

There has been a long-held myth that Elvis and Priscilla's dog Brutus was used in this movie as Albert the Great Dane. Not believing this to be true, we checked with Priscilla herself. She said it was not their dog but a professionally trained 'working dog that was hired for the film'.

I also thought it was Elvis' own dog but I was corrected by someone else.

Live and Learn. LOL
    America has contributed four things to the world that are really unique: Baseball, Coca-Cola, Mickey Mouse and Elvis Presley. And only one of them is human - - Jerry Hopkins - "Elvis" - A Biography.

Hey guys...easy now...I'm not saying Elvis didn't look good, because well, he always looks good and yes he certainly did in that movie. I however did not like the lead character of female and thought her acting sucked....the movie just did not make sense to me much....has nothing to do with Elvis....I just didn't care for that movie or the main characters (other than elvis) in it....That is the one movie so far that I was from the "get go" not interested in - other than watching Elvis.......does that make sense?

I recently saw this film on tv, I dont recall ever having seen it before and despite being a fan for 35 years there are others I have never seen. I have to say i thought it one of his better films.

di I however did not like the lead character of female and thought her acting sucked....the movie just did not make sense to me much....has nothing to do with Elvis....I just didn't care for that movie or the main characters (other than elvis) in it....That is the one movie so far that I was from the "get go" not interested in - other than watching Elvis.......does that make sense?
    Ksimms - I have to say from a male point of view I liked the female lead, you were obviously looking at her in a different way to me. The scene in the white bathing costume that leaves very little to the imagination!!!

I just watched Stay Away Joe from the new boxset recently released.I forgot just how brutal that movie was.It was almost a painful experience.A good many of the films are tolerable but a select few need to be detroyed for the sake of Elvis' legacy.
    Jak

Quote Originally Posted by jak View Post
    I just watched Stay Away Joe from the new boxset recently released.I forgot just how brutal that movie was.It was almost a painful experience.A good many of the films are tolerable but a select few need to be detroyed for the sake of Elvis' legacy.
    Jak
    Are you saying it was bad? I love that flick!
    Getlo - cute'n'cuddly

Quote Originally Posted by Circle G View Post
    I recently saw this film on tv, I dont recall ever having seen it before and despite being a fan for 35 years there are others I have never seen. I have to say i thought it one of his better films.

Ksimms - I have to say from a male point of view I liked the female lead, you were obviously looking at her in a different way to me. The scene in the white bathing costume that leaves very little to the imagination!!!
    You are right...I wasn't looking at her bod. I was looking at the hunk Elvis' bod!! She was very attractive - but I thought the script just wasn't that great. I mean from the very beginning, she sends her dog out to "fetch" Elvis....and she decides just from looking at him through her binoculars that she loves him? or wants him? or whatever....just seemed silly to me....but it doesn't matter....I'll watch anything with Elvis in it.....I find it strange that I have not seen all his movies either and now am looking forward to seeing those I have not.

Quote Originally Posted by Getlo View Post
    Im glad you enjoyed it.It's all subjective.I wouldnt call it a memorable moment for Burgess Meredith either.Elvis looked great but the movie itself was beyond terrible to me.I put it in the same class as Harum Sarum.Onthe other hand I actually enjoy Tickle Me.Go figure.Elvis' costar joceyln Lane ,ay be part of the reason I like that one
    Jak

I actually enjoy Tickle Me.Go figure.Elvis' costar joceyln Lane ,ay be part of the reason I like that one
    Jak
    I saw Tickle Me for the first time in about 15 years (at least) yesterday; I'd forgotten that it was actually quite funny. And I'd forgotten what a hottie JL was in that ... a close second to Ann-Margret, I think. She couldn't act a lick, though ... but who cares?!
    Getlo - cute'n'cuddly

From Elvis Presley Blvd Lonniebealestreet's Avatar
    Jak
    I must say as much as I like LAL,LAL I strongly dislike SAJ. It is hard for me to watch. It had its moments, but for the most part I found myself feeling embarrassed for Elvis--and Burgess Meredith, too.

I definitely had my expectations set too high whenever I first saw it. Apparently Elvis did too, seeming to have a pretty positive mindset about it while he was making it. At the time he said something to the effect that in most of his movies he had played a guy who had things happen to him, with girls pursuing him and things taking place that determined his fate while Joe Lightcloud was a guy who was a go-getter, stirring things up and making things happen.

It is unclear whether Elvis really felt good about the film or if he was trying to convince others (or himself) that it was a worthy project. It had a great setting, a rarity among Presley pictures, and a decent cast, but the story and the dialogue seemed to lack any sense of direction and cohesiveness.

There are plenty other far from serious Elvis movies that I do enjoy, like Tickle Me or Clambake, so it isn't that if it's not King Creole I don't appreciate it. Stay Away, Joe is just a mess as far as I'm concerned.
    ...you won't forget me when I go.

I think it could be helpful to wear our famous rose coloured glasses to watch some of his films
    but I totally agree with ksimms2, I love to watch him no matter how or where....we don't have many choices, we have to take what we have

I actually thought it was a fun movie. Elvis was not a "humble straight arrow" At least this was a change in format to a certain extent. He was stealing his friends girls, trying to seduce an 18 year old and there was the hint that he had also had a fling with her mother years before(played by the great actress Joan Blondell) It was 180% turn from the characters he usually played. It was fluff-but had a more mature subject matter. But it is subjective, some like it- some don't.

I saw Tickle Me for the first time in about 15 years (at least) yesterday; I'd forgotten that it was actually quite funny. And I'd forgotten what a hottie JL was in that ... a close second to Ann-Margret, I think. She couldn't act a lick, though ... but who cares?!
    Tickle Me is funny because it was written by two great comedy writers who wrote and directed many Three Stooges shorts and some of their feature films-Elwood Ullman and Edward Bernds. When you watch it again and realize Three Stooges writers were involved-it ties together.

Don't think I've ever seen "Tickle Me" will definately have to take a look....everyone in my house dreads Aug 16th and Jan 8th because the movie channels all run Elvis movies and I won't let them watch anything else. But I've since accumulated (sp?) some of my own Elvis movies to watch in my room....but don't think Tickle Me is one of them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast