Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Even the most terrible of Elvis movies serve a useful purpose

As we all know, Elvis really didn't have any control over those movies...we have the Colonel to thank for them...whether they are good or bad. But oh how I wish he could have done "A Star Is Born".... maybe then he would have been credited as a serious actor. I do think he had the potential...

Daddy, I miss you more every day. You will always be my hero..

TCB Mafia
    Quote Originally Posted by The King's Queen View Post
    But oh how I wish he could have done "A Star Is Born".... maybe then he would have been credited as a serious actor. I do think he had the potential...

I believe he did too, Queenie.

Hugs,
    Kimmi

But oh how I wish he could have done "A Star Is Born"....
    Unfortunately, the Streisand remake of A Star Is Born is one of the worst flicks of all time.

However, it may have been better received at the time if Elvis had been in it. And if it was made the same way, it wouldn't have resurrected his career I think.
    Getlo - cute'n'cuddly

Quote Originally Posted by Getlo View Post
    Unfortunately, the Streisand remake of A Star Is Born is one of the worst flicks of all time.

However, it may have been better received at the time if Elvis had been in it. And if it was made the same way, it wouldn't have resurrected his career I think.
    You make the point that I think many forget.The movie is not well regarded.There isnt much reason to think Elvis' appearance would have changed that.Elvis may have dodged a bullet by not being in it.His performance may have been ripped to shreds leading to more woes for him.It's one thing to falter while doing a series of one nighters on the road.To do it on the big screen in a major film could have really hit him hard.I dont know that he could have got it together for that film or not.A lot of "what if's"
    Jak

I like some of the movies, but not all. They got stupid. Elvis could have been a great actor, he had the talent, he had it. Col. is to blame for the stupid movies that were made. They are all the same story, just different people, different locations. Poor Elvis. I think though if he toured during them years, he would have died earlier, because when he did tour he took twice as many pills. So i guess these movies saved his life a couple of years, IMHO.

I often wonder how Elvis life and career would have turned out without the Col. in the background barking orders....some blame him - others say he was a very good businessman.

Quote Originally Posted by jak View Post
    I just watched Stay Away Joe from the new boxset recently released.I forgot just how brutal that movie was.It was almost a painful experience.A good many of the films are tolerable but a select few need to be detroyed for the sake of Elvis' legacy.
    Jak
    I agree jak i watched this film last week for the first time and had to turn it off.
    elvislady

Quote Originally Posted by jak View Post
    You make the point that I think many forget.The movie is not well regarded.There isnt much reason to think Elvis' appearance would have changed that.Elvis may have dodged a bullet by not being in it.His performance may have been ripped to shreds leading to more woes for him.It's one thing to falter while doing a series of one nighters on the road.To do it on the big screen in a major film could have really hit him hard.I dont know that he could have got it together for that film or not.A lot of "what if's"
    Jak
    Sorry, but I didn't necessarily mean that the movie in and of itself was that great...what I meant was that it was a cut above most of his movies...a more serious role, per say. Elvis viewed it as something that he really wanted to do...an IMO when someone really wants to do something, they tend to excell at it. Whether or not the movie would have been a box-office smash, I do think that it would have made him feel as if he was at least being recognized as an actor. Perhaps he did "dogde a bullet" by not being in it, we will never know for sure. But one thing is certain, there are a lot of "what if's"......

Sorry, but I didn't necessarily mean that the movie in and of itself was that great...what I meant was that it was a cut above most of his movies...a more serious role, per say. Elvis viewed it as something that he really wanted to do...an IMO when someone really wants to do something, they tend to excell at it. Whether or not the movie would have been a box-office smash, I do think that it would have made him feel as if he was at least being recognized as an actor. Perhaps he did "dogde a bullet" by not being in it, we will never know for sure. But one thing is certain, there are a lot of "what if's"......
    Hang on, in reference to your quoted post from jak, you seem to be talking about both movies - Stay Away, Joe and A Star is Born.
    Getlo - cute'n'cuddly

Quote Originally Posted by Getlo View Post
    Hang on, in reference to your quoted post from jak, you seem to be talking about both movies - Stay Away, Joe and A Star is Born.
    Uhhh...no, just A Star Is Born. Maybe it just came across wrong....

Mad Tigers
    I grew up on Elvis' movies, but as an adult, still find a lot of them really enjoyable! Eg Blue Hawaii, Girl Happy, Viva Las Vegas, Fun in Acupulco, Live a Little Love a Little...lol, I could go on and on!

Perhaps the only one I really cringe at is Harum Scarum (but even so, I'll stop for a second look if it's playing on tv - just because Elvis looks so handsome in it LOL!!!)...!!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12