Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Has anyone read this book???

Quote Originally Posted by Suzan View Post
    Hi Burning Love
    I think so...
    The book I REALLY love though, by this author is Elvis Day by Day, EXCELLENT.
    Thanks Suzan...I'll look out for both !

I am preparing to read the book too lol
    Few people have said to me that the book is very emotional so....
    I've read 'Last Train To Memphis', and it was really good, I loved it

i'm reading "Last Train To Memphis" at the moment, and at the moment i find it very good. It really goes into a lot of detail about all aspects of Elvis' life and is a very interesting read. I'm liking it
    I've got those hup, two, three, four, occupation G.I. Blues, From my G.I. hair to the heels of my G.I. shoes

Quote Originally Posted by CRITTERGITTER View Post
    DO not under any circumstances read the Goldman book. It is the worst piece of trash you have ever seen in your life. IT will make you ill. IT BUTCHERS ELVIS' REPUTATION WORSE THAN ELVIS WHAT HAPPENED. I THREW MINE AWAY. PEOPLE WERE GLUING THE PAGES TOGETHER WHEN IT FIRST CAME OUT. IT IS A HORRIBLE BOOK.
    I totally agree. When I read EWH I felt so hurt for him. I just can't imagine crushing somebody's spirit like that; especially someone so sensitive to other people's feelings.
    ...you're moving on the back roads, by the rivers of my memory and for hours you're just gentle on my mind.

Mad Tigers
    DO not under any circumstances read the Goldman book. It is the worst piece of trash you have ever seen in your life. IT will make you ill. IT BUTCHERS ELVIS' REPUTATION WORSE THAN ELVIS WHAT HAPPENED. I THREW MINE AWAY...IT IS A HORRIBLE BOOK.
    I second this.

I remember when it first came out in the early 80's, there was a movement amongst Elvis fans to actually write to Goldman and tell him precisely what we thought of his piece of crap. Someone actually published his home address in one of the fan magazines, and I am sure he was innundated with hate mail (which he certainly deserved!!!!)!!

DO not under any circumstances read the Goldman book.
    Have to partially disagree here. Despite its many obvious flaws, it's very subjective biases and the almost searing hatred Goldman seemed to have for his subject and for Southerners in general, there were still many truths in it, despite what some would have you believe. And there are quite a few good anecdotes and stories, especially from the sixties.

I think many people were angered not so much with the subjects in the book, but moreso the unnecessarily vicious way in which some of them were portrayed. And there were far too many unsubstantiated stories for it to be taken as gospel.

And say what you will about the late Goldman, but the book itself (subject matter notwithstanding) was very well written, and many Elvis biographies could have used the same English and grammatical standards to be improved.

Read the book yourself to make up your own mind; there are some second-hand copies still around. I still have my copy sitting right alongside my other EP books ... gathering dust.
    Getlo - cute'n'cuddly

Quote Originally Posted by The King's Queen View Post
    I am getting ready to read the book:

Careless Love: The Unmaking of Elvis Presley

Has anyone read it?
    Yeah, great book.

Hate to ruin it for you ... but Elvis dies in the end!
    Getlo - cute'n'cuddly

Quote Originally Posted by Suzan View Post
    Hi Burning Love
    I think so...
    The book I REALLY love though, by this author is Elvis Day by Day, EXCELLENT.
    I also loved the book, Elvis Day By Day, and I don't read too many Elvis books (unless they are pictorial or reference style books). I love the format it was written in, by date with information on each date, instead of just writing a chapter straight through. For me, that made it easier to read. There are also lots of great photos of artifacts like handbills from early Elvis shows (where I think they misspelled his name on one!) and all kinds of stuff. I would highly recommend this book!

International Level Menwithbrokenhearts's Avatar
    Jerry Hopkin's books are pretty good as well as the book by Maxine Brown, about the country group "The Browns, Jim Ed etcc) It has some great stories about being on the road with Elvis in the 50's and what it was like back then on the road, recording, etc.. One story she told at the EI convention in 2006 that's not in the book was about Elvis' first pink socks. Apparantly Maxine was in charge of laundry and one of her red panties got in the wash with all the boy's undergarments. They all wouldn't wear them until Maxine bleached them back out but Elvis took his socks and wouldn't let her bleach them out. She said he practically wore them every day and they started to get pretty rank. The guys tried to get him to wear another pair but he wouldn't . So, finally, one night on the road, Elvis was asleep and one of the boys took off his socks and threw them out the window. Elvis woke up with his socks gone and made them turn around and look for them. As Maxine says " After miles and miles, would you believe it, we found those **************** things after all!" We were all cracking up!.
    John Wilkinson's book is pretty good also. Respectful.
    Got my family, my kids, my books and my music, I'm good, yeah, I'm good.....

Thanks for sharing the story about Elvis and the "red socks" Menwithbrokenhearts. I have never heard it before and really enjoyed hearing it. Elvis sure was one of a kind!!! Dovey
    Get Him, get him~~Hot D*** ~~ he's a Squirrel!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PI7WiBUN_Bw

I have both Jerry Hopkins books and liked them. I read about the "pink socks" in some book too but can't remember which one - that was funny.

Diane
    Last edited by Diane; 09-02-2007 at 07:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Menwithbrokenhearts View Post
    John Wilkinson's book is pretty good also. Respectful.
    Does this have a lot of concert and studio recording stories in it? This might be one I'm interested in reading.

Wow a lot of people replied here. I am intrigued in getting this book now as i LOVE reading --> Yes i do it for fun LOL I have read many books including :
    Me and Elvis (3 times)
    Elvis and the MM (once)
    Are you lonesome tonight (twice)
    Orion (twice, my fave book everrr)
    And loads more
    But the one i did not enjoy was 'Me and a guy named Elvis', i found the chapters too long and i generally didn't like it. Please don't hate me :S
    Thanks for the review on these books i might think about buying them

Quote Originally Posted by Getlo View Post
    Have to partially disagree here. Despite its many obvious flaws, it's very subjective biases and the almost searing hatred Goldman seemed to have for his subject and for Southerners in general, there were still many truths in it, despite what some would have you believe. And there are quite a few good anecdotes and stories, especially from the sixties.

I think many people were angered not so much with the subjects in the book, but moreso the unnecessarily vicious way in which some of them were portrayed. And there were far too many unsubstantiated stories for it to be taken as gospel.

And say what you will about the late Goldman, but the book itself (subject matter notwithstanding) was very well written, and many Elvis biographies could have used the same English and grammatical standards to be improved.

Read the book yourself to make up your own mind; there are some second-hand copies still around. I still have my copy sitting right alongside my other EP books ... gathering dust.

Thanks Getlo, I'd rather form my own opinion as you say....look at all the fur flying in our threads because of different opinions, I'm sure the same applies to the different books. But I do appreciate everyone's opinions. I'd just like to see for myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Burning_Love View Post
    Wow a lot of people replied here. I am intrigued in getting this book now as i LOVE reading --> Yes i do it for fun LOL I have read many books including :
    Me and Elvis (3 times)
    Elvis and the MM (once)
    Are you lonesome tonight (twice)
    Orion (twice, my fave book everrr)
    And loads more
    But the one i did not enjoy was 'Me and a guy named Elvis', i found the chapters too long and i generally didn't like it. Please don't hate me :S
    Thanks for the review on these books i might think about buying them
    you didn't like Jerry's book? Really? i liked it - but keep in mind - was my first ever Elvis book....I'm working my way onto others as we speak.

Quote Originally Posted by ksimms2 View Post
    you didn't like Jerry's book? Really? i liked it - but keep in mind - was my first ever Elvis book....I'm working my way onto others as we speak.
    Well, it wasn't my sort of thing, i enjoyed it, but not as much as i as hoping. It's the last book i read actually, i am waiting to buy some new ones.
    My first Elvis book was Elvis and Me which i like and not many others, i guess we all have different opinions on things and what we read.
    What books have you got that you recommend ??

I bought "me and guy named Elvis" one month ago but I haven't started it yet. It takes a long time to read it because it is in English.. and it isn't my native language

At the moment I am reading Jerry Hopkins's "Elvis The Final Days" and I have read it a quite long time already. Cuz it is in English.
    Then I am reading "Elvis meets The Beatles" (easier to read because it is in Finnish) but it isn't that interesting book..so I don't recommend it
    [CENTER]"The only time I can be me is when I walk through the door and lock it from the inside" -Elvis

My two favorite books are Me and Elvis by Charlie Hodge and now I've forgotten the title but it's by Ed Parker. I highly recommend both of these.

Diane

Why is Orion your favorate book ever? And is it Me and Elvis or Elvis and Me? Cause I ordered Me and a guy named Elvis and now after what u said I wish I hadnt. I value everyones opinion on here for what I might like so I should have waited. I love to read books that are feel good books about Elvis. I dont like to read bad stuff that makes want to hunt down the author and beat him with it.
    I wouldnt come back out there for love nor money.

International Level Menwithbrokenhearts's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovelvis View Post
    Does this have a lot of concert and studio recording stories in it? This might be one I'm interested in reading.
    It does but only focuses on the Browns as far as studio recording. She does talk alot about touring with Elvis. But the book is primarily about the Browns. It is a fascinating and well written book about the industry, recording techniques and touring of that time period, as well as her life with her brother and sister group and her family and personal life. She doesn't pull any punches especially about record companies and execs from that time.
    Oh and it's called "Looking Back to See" by Maxine Brown. I also met her and she really is a nice outspoken and genuine lady.
    Got my family, my kids, my books and my music, I'm good, yeah, I'm good.....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast