Thread: Elvis and Led Zeppelin meeting

Elvis and Led Zeppelin meeting

I saw this on another forum, but I wondered if any of you know anything about Elvis and Led Zeppelin meeting on at least one if not more occasions in the mid-70's? I also read that Elvis liked their music, but don't know whether that is true or not.

Coming On Strong
    Yep they met up in Elvis` hotel, Percy Plant and Elvis even sung a little of "Love Me" together. Plant also said Elvis` seemed slightly embarrassed by the antics of the MM.

I know one of the Stanley boys tried to get Elvis into Led Zepp, but i cant see that myself.

Cadillac King
    hey, yer iv heard they met around '75. nd it was brought to elvis' attention that when rehearsing, zepplin's favorite song to sing was 'love me' by elvis nd so jst before they left elvis joined in singing it with the zepplin people. and robert plant said that this was the first time in his career he felt like he was really sing.

also, once in concert elvis was singing reconsider baby probs around '76 and elvis stopped the band and told them that they "have to get it right tonight cuz led zepplin are watching"

theres an interview on youtube with robert plant about elvis and robert plant also appeared on the Radio 2 show (in the uk) talking about elvis for the 30th anniversary

hope this helps

Robert PLant, Jimmy Page, John Bonham and John Paul Jones meet with Elvis several times, they were all big Elvis fans, and yes Elvis did knew and liked Led Zeppelin music.

The Led Zeppelin first encounter with the King was in 1969, they were Touring the States for the first time and took the time between their busy schedule to attend one of the now legendary Elvis '69 Vegas concerts, they were deligthed by Elvis raw and rocking performance, but they did not meet Elvis personaly after the show, neither was Elvis aware that the Zeppelin had just attended one of his shows.

By '71 one of the Stanley brothers, I belive the youngest, was a big Led Zeppeling fan, and yes, he did showed to Elvis some of the Zeppelin stuff, he recalls that when Elvis got to lisen "Stairway to Heaven" he did find it as "rather good".

We have to remeber that prior ot '73, Zeppelin material was mostly Blues covers and R&B inspired rock and roll, so there is no reason for Elvis to dislike them, what they do was pretty much what he did back in SUn Studios, and he may be flattered that himself was a well know huge influence on Led Zeppelin music. Now much has been said about Elvis being not to keen with the 60's counterculture music bands, but that has anything to do with their music, but with some of their ideals and attitudes, the drug culture stuff, flag burning etc. we know for example that Elvis in fact really liked The Beatles music, it was just he did not aproved their drug promotion an other attitudes toward what was happenin at the time. But the Zeppelin was after all that, and had little to do with the woodstock generation, in fact they were more of a let?s go back to the roots band, and stayed away from social comments like Elvis did, if they stated anything and changed anything in society, it was strictly with their music, just like Elvis.

Anyway, the Led Zeppeling was touring the States again in '74, and I believe it was Plant and Bonham not the whole group who attended to an Elvis show in L.A. Plant recalled later that he enjoyed the show, and that Elvis sounded and looked good to him and that the band played great. I don?t know if they meet or not backstage after the show, but I believe they did.

Once again in '75 the Zeppelin and The King meet by coincidence in an airport while both touring around the same area, they talked a bit, exanged their tour experiences, and then both had to run. Joe Espostio was working for the Led Zeppelin as their road manager by then and not for Elvis, he says that the guys of the Zeppeling were always asking about ELvis, but also Elvis asked Esposito about the Zeppelin.

Don?t know the date but around '74 and '76 theres was another meeting, Plant and Bonham visited ELvis at his house, (not Graceland so must have been in L.A.) I belive there?s when they jamed a bit and singed Love Me, at the end Elvis and Bonham exchanged watches, ELvis being a gold one, and Bonham?s a Mickey Mouse one, lol.

I remeber this by reading it in some other post in this forums an other and in a couple of books, but would be great if someone put the facts straight.

The Zeppelin did a few Elvis covers now and then and they are all great, their versions of A Mess Of Blues and That?s All Right are fantastic, they also added portions of Mystery Train into their hit single Whole Lotta Love.

Jimmy Page once declared: It was "Baby Lets Play House" by Elvis what got me hooked on music, I said yeah, I want to be part of that.

Look at Joe?s T-Shirt here:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails '74 (6).jpg  
    Last edited by Raised on Rock; 08-25-2007 at 01:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Raised on Rock View Post
    Robert PLant, Jimmy Page, John Bonham and John Paul Jones meet with Elvis several times, they were all big Elvis fans, and yes Elvis did knew and liked Led Zeppelin music.

The Led Zeppelin first encounter with the King was in 1969, they were Touring the States for the first time and took the time between their busy schedule to attend one of the now legendary Elvis '69 Vegas concerts, they were deligthed by Elvis raw and rocking performance, but they did not meet Elvis personaly after the show, neither was Elvis aware that the Zeppelin had just attended one of his shows.

By '71 one of the Stanley brothers, I belive the youngest, was a big Led Zeppeling fan, and yes, he did showed to Elvis some of the Zeppelin stuff, he recalls that when Elvis got to lisen "Stairway to Heaven" he did find it as "rather good".

We have to remeber that prior ot '73, Zeppelin material was mostly Blues covers and R&B inspired rock and roll, so there is no reason for Elvis to dislike them, what they do was pretty much what he did back in SUn Studios, and he may be flattered that himself was a well know huge influence on Led Zeppelin music. Now much has been said about Elvis being not to keen with the 60's counterculture music bands, but that has anything to do with their music, but with some of their ideals and attitudes, the drug culture stuff, flag burning etc. we know for example that Elvis in fact really liked The Beatles music, it was just he did not aproved their drug promotion an other attitudes toward what was happenin at the time. But the Zeppelin was after all that, and had little to do with the woodstock generation, in fact they were more of a let?s go back to the roots band, and stayed away from social comments like Elvis did, if they stated anything and changed anything in society, it was strictly with their music, just like Elvis.

Anyway, the Led Zeppeling was touring the States again in '74, and I believe it was Plant and Bonham not the whole group who attended to an Elvis show in L.A. Plant recalled later that he enjoyed the show, and that Elvis sounded and looked good to him and that the band played great. I don?t know if they meet or not backstage after the show, but I believe they did.

Once again in '75 the Zeppelin and The King meet by coincidence in an airport while both touring around the same area, they talked a bit, exanged their tour experiences, and then both had to run. Joe Espostio was working for the Led Zeppelin as their road manager by then and not for Elvis, he says that the guys of the Zeppeling were always asking about ELvis, but also Elvis asked Esposito about the Zeppelin.

Don?t know the date but around '74 and '76 theres was another meeting, Plant and Bonham visited ELvis at his house, (not Graceland so must have been in L.A.) I belive there?s when they jamed a bit and singed Love Me, at the end Elvis and Bonham exchanged watches, ELvis being a gold one, and Bonham?s a Mickey Mouse one, lol.

I remeber this by reading it in some other post in this forums an other and in a couple of books, but would be great if someone put the facts straight.

The Zeppelin did a few Elvis covers now and then and they are all great, their versions of A Mess Of Blues and That?s All Right are fantastic, they also added portions of Mystery Train into their hit single Whole Lotta Love.

Jimmy Page once declared: It was "Baby Lets Play House" by Elvis what got me hooked on music, I said yeah, I want to be part of that.

Look at Joe?s T-Shirt here:
    Thanks for all the info Raised on Rock! I had heard a few things over the years about some of the things you are describing, but wasn't sure if most of it really happened or not. I always thought it would be cool if Elvis liked Led Zeppelin's music, which you are right, prior to '73, Zeppelin mainly did blues and rock and roll, and that would have definitely been up Elvis's alley. I wonder what other 70's era music Elvis listened to?

Quote Originally Posted by ruggishboo View Post
    Thanks for all the info Raised on Rock! I had heard a few things over the years about some of the things you are describing, but wasn't sure if most of it really happened or not. I always thought it would be cool if Elvis liked Led Zeppelin's music, which you are right, prior to '73, Zeppelin mainly did blues and rock and roll, and that would have definitely been up Elvis's alley. I wonder what other 70's era music Elvis listened to?
    Well he obviously was into Creedence Clearwater Revival, he must have liked a few sides of Three Dogs Night, but its really hard to tell, Elvis was more into songs than into bands, like he could have liked a song by anyband, but didn?t care about the rest, hard to know really.

Anyway I found this past thread about Elvis and Zeppelin over here, you may find it interesting:

http://www.tcb-world.com/showthread....t=Robert+Plant

My favorite thing about the Elvis/Zeppelin meeting is when Robert Plant began to sing "Treat me Like a fool......" and Elvis joined in with a smile.

In this links there?s also more info about those meetings that some TCB members have posted:

http://www.tcb-world.com/showthread....light=Zeppelin

Just a sidenote: How coincidental that Jimmy Page was chosen for this commercial! They've removed the "How'd they do that" off YouTube, but the producers of that commercial stated that they chose those artists because the background surrounding them matched the background in the clipping of Elvis they intended to use.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6NT6tgg_rw

Coming On Strong
    Esposito worked for Led Zep in the mid 70`s ?............don`t believe that one i`m afraid.