Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: This is Elvis, different versions?

This is Elvis, different versions?

Hello everyone!
    I am just wondering about the dvd "This is Elvis", how many versions if this movie is it out there? and where can i get the longest? hard to find?
    Can someone explain me, thank you!

toffe
    Taking Care of Business
    Til we meet you again, may God bless you, Adios.

Loving elvis
    I have the dvd but it was burned from the video tape. I find its great, very long indeed.

Okei, but is this the longest version? there are 3 versons of this is elvis right?
    Can you post picture of the dvd?
    Taking Care of Business

This Is Elvis

This Is Elvis: Special EditionReleased: 2007/08/07 by Warner Home VideoRating: From executive producer and award-winning documentarian David L. Wolper (Roots, L.A. Confidential), This Is Elvis is an intimate, behind-the-scenes portrait crafted by Andrew Solt (Imagine: John Lennon) and Malcolm Leo (Rolling Stone: 20 Years of Rock ?n? Roll). Elvis? ?authorized biography? draws on interviews with the people who knew Presley best ? family, friends, employees and mentor/manager Colonel Tom Parker ? and includes some rare, never before seen footage.
    Additional information:
    Region: 2
    Runtime: 246 minutes
    Colour: Colour
    Screen: Widescreen / NTSC
    Sound: Dolby 2.0

Disc 1:
    * First-ever home video release of the original, uncensored 1981 Theatrical version in a new digital transfer with soundtrack remastered in Dolby Surround 2.0
    * Vintage featurette Behind the Gates of Graceland
    * Elvis Presley movie trailer gallery
    * Subtitles: Francais (feature film only)

Disc 2:
    * 1983 Unrated expanded Home video version with 40 minutes of footage not shown in theatres
    * Subtitles: Francais (feature film only)

This Is Elvis

This Is Elvis: Special EditionReleased: 2007/08/07 by Warner Home VideoRating:

CEP wrote on Aug 24, 2007report abuseMystery Rider we get the point now - you don't like any of these covers- good for you-can you just leave it now and go and do something much more interesting insteadHerman wrote on Aug 15, 2007report abuseOnly disc 1 (1981 version) is in 2.0 sound. Disc 2 (1983 version) is in 1.0 mono sound!Why, why, why Warner? Why not in 5.1 sound ? 2.0 is bad, and now we have the 1983 version in 1.0 MONO sound, terrible ! We live in 2007 !!Herman wrote on Jul 13, 2007report abuseDolby Surround 2.0 ? Even Gone with the wind is released with 5.1 sound. I can't believe this !jb gude wrote on Jul 1, 2007report abuseThis was the pic used in the original posters for the movie...so nothing wrong there:infact one of the more appropriate covers on the series.I just wish they could have come up with a more attractive cover, for me the lettering is way too large, but then you cannot please everyone.Mystery Rider wrote on Jun 29, 2007report abuselook at the cover, looks like Loving you, however its this is elvis, and again his name is half of the cover. Who is the designer of this stuff.??

Thanks for sharing alstrada
    Taking Care of Business

This is Elvis, different versions?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello everyone!
    I am just wondering about the dvd "This is Elvis", how many versions if this movie is it out there? and where can i get the longest? hard to find?
    Can someone explain me, thank you!

toffe

I waiting for my new "THIS IS ELVIS" & I will add here screen capture very soon I hope !

There are just two, as far as I know. Theater version, TV version, both are included in the new DVD release, that with the crapy cover art lol. Man the VHs release had such a killer cover.

International Level thehillbillycat's Avatar
    For the fans who doesn't know. There is a total of 4 different versions of This Is Elvis. Only two has been release officially. Only three of the four has been shown on TV.

On the 2 Disc Edition contains the two versions that has been release officially on DVD. Which both has been on VHS too but the theaterical version had been long since out of print until the new dvd.

As for the other two. This Is Elvis has on known as the TV version. This version is the Theaterical Version with the voice over during the two Elvis On Tour scenes in which Elvis used a little dirty language. This version also has a kinda different beginning. The beginning starts of with the Warner Brothers symbol and goes black and list the name of the movie, the producer, director and so on. During the scene of walking through Graceland has no words at all during the scene. That is the TV Version. It was shown on Lifetime during the early 90s and also on either ABC or NBC at about the same time. I have it but the tape got messed up and jumps throughout the movie.

The other version is known as the Director's Cut and is longer than the Home Video Version. The Director's Cut last for about three hours and includes more unseen footage of Elvis On Tour more important is Polk Salad Annie from San Antonio. The quality is crystal clear throughout the movie. But one thing to need to know, it is a real problem to get ahold of this version. It is that hard to find. I have seen it on EBay only three times during the period I have been on Ebay. The last time it appeared on Ebay it went for about $200 on VHS. I have never seen it appear on DVD yet or if anyone who has it put it on DVD. The only way I know of it is because of a site a few years ago that I found talked about This Is Elvis and the movie different versions. It showed clips of it that you could watch. But The site has long since closed down. I don't have this version at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Elvislennon2004 View Post
    For the fans who doesn't know. There is a total of 4 different versions of This Is Elvis. Only two has been release officially. Only three of the four has been shown on TV.

On the 2 Disc Edition contains the two versions that has been release officially on DVD. Which both has been on VHS too but the theaterical version had been long since out of print until the new dvd.

As for the other two. This Is Elvis has on known as the TV version. This version is the Theaterical Version with the voice over during the two Elvis On Tour scenes in which Elvis used a little dirty language. This version also has a kinda different beginning. The beginning starts of with the Warner Brothers symbol and goes black and list the name of the movie, the producer, director and so on. During the scene of walking through Graceland has no words at all during the scene. That is the TV Version. It was shown on Lifetime during the early 90s and also on either ABC or NBC at about the same time. I have it but the tape got messed up and jumps throughout the movie.

The other version is known as the Director's Cut and is longer than the Home Video Version. The Director's Cut last for about three hours and includes more unseen footage of Elvis On Tour more important is Polk Salad Annie from San Antonio. The quality is crystal clear throughout the movie. But one thing to need to know, it is a real problem to get ahold of this version. It is that hard to find. I have seen it on EBay only three times during the period I have been on Ebay. The last time it appeared on Ebay it went for about $200 on VHS. I have never seen it appear on DVD yet or if anyone who has it put it on DVD. The only way I know of it is because of a site a few years ago that I found talked about This Is Elvis and the movie different versions. It showed clips of it that you could watch. But The site has long since closed down. I don't have this version at all.
    Ok you?re right, I remember now, so, help me get it straight.

The versions I know are:

The Home Video Version, that's a VHS tape, it goes about little more than 2hrs long, I don?t have a VHS player anymore so I don?t remeber if this has the overdubbed voice when Elvis went into the "she gave great head" speech. But I do remeber it has the Touble/Let Your Self Go segment, as well as many others, like when he remebered playing in vegas '56 while backstage at the International in '70, and the opening of the movie was longer.

The other version I know is the TV version, which I believe its the same as the Theatrical version except for the overdubbed voice stuff in some Elvis on Tour segments, is that right? I believe I have seen both, they showed the overdubbed short version in TV here in Mexico City TV every August in the early 90's, but then by the mid 90's in Cinemax cable TV they showed the Theatrical version which is the same but without the overdubbed voice so you can hear Elvis talking about some beaver.

Anyhow, never heard about the Directors Cut edition and the Polk Salad Annie Footage, its foolish they didn?t include this in the new DVD set, it was a better choice than the Home Video Version, I mean is the same but even longer.

Quote Originally Posted by Raised on Rock View Post
    Ok you?re right, I remember now, so, help me get it straight.

The versions I know are:

The Home Video Version, that's a VHS tape, it goes about little more than 2hrs long, I don?t have a VHS player anymore so I don?t remeber if this has the overdubbed voice when Elvis went into the "she gave great head" speech. But I do remeber it has the Touble/Let Your Self Go segment, as well as many others, like when he remebered playing in vegas '56 while backstage at the International in '70, and the opening of the movie was longer.

The other version I know is the TV version, which I believe its the same as the Theatrical version except for the overdubbed voice stuff in some Elvis on Tour segments, is that right? I believe I have seen both, they showed the overdubbed short version in TV here in Mexico City TV every August in the early 90's, but then by the mid 90's in Cinemax cable TV they showed the Theatrical version which is the same but without the overdubbed voice so you can hear Elvis talking about some beaver.

Anyhow, never heard about the Directors Cut edition and the Polk Salad Annie Footage, its foolish they didn?t include this in the new DVD set, it was a better choice than the Home Video Version, I mean is the same but even longer.
    It looks like you have it all right from what I see.

The Home Video Version and Theaterical Version has both been on VHS. The Theaterical Version was only available for about a year after the theaterical release. then in 1983 the Home Video Version replace it. The Theaterical Version was never seen again until they showed it on the movie channels like Encore - True Stories (Now call Encore - Drama) and a few others. The Home Video Version was last release on VHS in the 90s in a black box.

The TV Version is the exactas the Theaterical Version but with the voice overs during Elvis On Tour scenes that you mentioned. Since it was on a regular TV Channel and not on a Movie Channel that is why voice overs was added in from the Home Video Version.

The Director's Cut is what you see in the Home Video Version but extended more to go to 3 hrs. It is in Widescreen. From what I understand the original Director's Cut film negative and first generation film was burned some years ago in a fire. The Director's Cut film negative and first generation film was in private hands at the time. It was the person who made a copy of it for his friend and they made copies of it and sold it. I don't believe MGM even has a copy of it anymore. The only way to get it is to find it on the black market, which I will say Good Luck in trying to get it.

Thank you soo much for all the info everyone, now i know alot more!
    Taking Care of Business

Quote Originally Posted by Elvislennon2004 View Post
    It looks like you have it all right from what I see.

The Home Video Version and Theaterical Version has both been on VHS. The Theaterical Version was only available for about a year after the theaterical release. then in 1983 the Home Video Version replace it. The Theaterical Version was never seen again until they showed it on the movie channels like Encore - True Stories (Now call Encore - Drama) and a few others. The Home Video Version was last release on VHS in the 90s in a black box.

The TV Version is the exactas the Theaterical Version but with the voice overs during Elvis On Tour scenes that you mentioned. Since it was on a regular TV Channel and not on a Movie Channel that is why voice overs was added in from the Home Video Version.

The Director's Cut is what you see in the Home Video Version but extended more to go to 3 hrs. It is in Widescreen. From what I understand the original Director's Cut film negative and first generation film was burned some years ago in a fire. The Director's Cut film negative and first generation film was in private hands at the time. It was the person who made a copy of it for his friend and they made copies of it and sold it. I don't believe MGM even has a copy of it anymore. The only way to get it is to find it on the black market, which I will say Good Luck in trying to get it.
    I also have never heard of "a directors cut" I have the Theatrical release, I have the extended release and the tv version of the theatrical release has little difference. But have never seen or heard of a directors cut. Put in a search for "This is Elvis Directors cut" 3 hours
    and got nothing that mentions a directors cut. Can you tell us where you got the info.
    Last edited by KPM; 08-25-2007 at 04:34 PM.

there are 4 versions that I know of.

1- The 1st one is, the theater version also the version they 1st aired on HBO.

2 - VHS added "42" minutes version. The changes as far as I could see were for one, over the whole flim they got rid of the grainey sort of a split second delay in the way it looked. The VHS version was all smoothed out and replaced with a normal look. That effect was popular in the 80s. They also dubbed in Johnny Harra saying, "She could raised the Dead" rather than Elvis' quote, "Man that girl Gave Great Head". The part where Elvis comes home from the ARMY 1960 and gives a interveiw that was in Color. You could see it when it first pops up for a second on some VHS versions.
    3 - The NBC released version kept the grainey look but still removed the color from the 1960 interview. It also went back to it's original lenght.

4 - The newest version out to date has far as I could see, What they claim is the "Original Movie Version" has an extra interveiw in 56 with a angry mother that was added in the 42minute extra version and they kept the 1960 interveiw in Black & White. They also Kept it without that grainy effect. I haven't had the chance to see the new version with added minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by TCBnAflash View Post
    there are 4 versions that I know of.

1- The 1st one is, the theater version also the version they 1st aired on HBO.

2 - VHS added "42" minutes version. The changes as far as I could see were for one, over the whole flim they got rid of the grainey sort of a split second delay in the way it looked. The VHS version was all smoothed out and replaced with a normal look. That effect was popular in the 80s. They also dubbed in Johnny Harra saying, "She could raised the Dead" rather than Elvis' quote, "Man that girl Gave Great Head". The part where Elvis comes home from the ARMY 1960 and gives a interveiw that was in Color. You could see it when it first pops up for a second on some VHS versions.
    3 - The NBC released version kept the grainey look but still removed the color from the 1960 interview. It also went back to it's original lenght.

4 - The newest version out to date has far as I could see, What they claim is the "Original Movie Version" has an extra interveiw in 56 with a angry mother that was added in the 42minute extra version and they kept the 1960 interveiw in Black & White. They also Kept it without that grainy effect. I haven't had the chance to see the new version with added minutes.

Johnny Harra only spoke a few times and that was only during the Graceland scene at the front of the movie. All the talking including the voice over that is on the Home Video Version that is over the Elvis On Tour scenes are done by Ral Donner. You never see Ral Donner in the movie at all. He is the one talking as Elvis throughout the movie.

The only info of the Director's Cut is what I told you folks. Nothing more. I found that on a site that tells only about This Is Elvis. It showed clips from it. But the site has been taken off years ago. It is no longer with us at all. As for a new version of the movie that TCBnAflash tells about. Never heard of it. I also never heard of a NBC version. If true that would make 6 different versions of the movie.

There are just two, as far as I know. Theater version, TV version, both are included in the new DVD release, that with the crapy cover art lol. Man the VHs release had such a killer cover.
    I agree about the cover art. It looks like it should be for "Loving You" not "This is Elvis"!

Sorry that was my bad, youre right it's Ral doing the voice but if you look you'll find the new released one with the Loving You photo on the cover. How would I know about the four different versions that I mentioned? it's cause I used to tape everytime I knew of an Elvis movie was going to be aired.
    I could see how the new covers are gear towards the newer fans. They had to have the name, "ELVIS" in large letters. The cool thing about the MGM boxset is, they come with extra photo cards inside. Inculding the a card of the original movie poster artwork. I really didn't care about the cover, I was just happy to get all them movies on DVD for the first time
    Last edited by TCBnAflash; 08-26-2007 at 12:36 PM. Reason: bab typing

I read rumors all over the place- and hope they are true- but unless I see it with my own eyes or on an official site-EPE, Turner Video, Warner video, etc....whoever I tend to take them all with a grain of salt.

Wrong, This Is Elvis 2 Disc Special Edition contains the following movies.

Disc 1 - The Original Theaterical Version.
    Disc 2 - The Extended Home Video Version.

The TV version is not the Extended Home Video Version. The TV version is exact as the Theaterical Version but contains the voice over during Elvis On Tour scenes. No extra footage that is in the Extended Home Video Version is not in the TV Version at all.

Regardless of how many versions there are, the only 2 that count are the two on the new release. The tv version has little difference to it when you get down to the basics from the original theatrical version and the 3 hour directors cut has never been released period. So its little to debate IMO

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast