Thread: In The Ghetto duet was played on pop station this morning!

In The Ghetto duet was played on pop station this morning!

On my way to work this morning I turned on the radio to our local top station that plays today's top 40 hits and to my surprise playing was In the Ghetto duet with Lisa Marie. I got only the ending (the last minute or so) but it sounded great. After the song ended the dj talked about it being done for proceeds to building a homeless shelter in New Orleans for Hurricane Katrina victims. They all agreed it was a class act by Lisa Marie. Then the main guy that does the show said that one of their co hosts for the Morning Show just got back from Memphis last week and took in Elvis Week then asked him how it was, if he saw EP. The guy said no they never saw EP but saw a lot of impersonators, or as they like to be called Tribute artists (his words). Then he talked about how miserably hot it was the whole time. He was shocked at how many came. He said he heard it was over 120,000 for the week. That there had to be at least 50,000 the day of the vigil. He said they had a great time despite the weather! He said he and his wife took their 12 year old daughter Amanda who didn't know much about EP and really didn't care to even go at first but that she had a great time and now is becoming a fan.

He said she fit in more than she thought she would because there were actually a LOT of children and teenagers there of all races!!!!:clap:

The guy said that while they were there that they went to the candle light vigil. They went early and stood in line for like 3 hours before it began but then it got too hot and left around 5 pm. Then the other dj smarted off and said "oh so you were among those *****s who stood out in the 100 degree weather to honor a dead man". He laughed and said not really. They went back to their hotel downtown at the Marriott and killed some time and went back around midnight. He said even then they had a waiting period of 5 hours before they got to the grave site but that it was worth it. When they got back to their hotel, the sun was coming up and laughed that it went on all night long and well into the mid morning hours. The other dj's were impressed and said you'll never see that type of fan devotion with any other entertainer in our lifetime and the lady dj said never.

He said something I really liked. "When you walk up there and you see the grave for the first time all lit up, you start to realize that it's not just another grave or another human being, this is ELVIS and you start to get teary eyed that you are actually there, as if you knew him personally. It's a site to see to believe!" That was a great thing for him to say.

Then they talked about the expansion plans and the lady dj on the show asked him if he saw any bulldozers or any construction. He said no and laughed. But then said they talked to one of the workers at the museums across the street and the girl who worked there told them that the plans for Graceland were going to be great and that the entire area around the mansion and the attractions will be totally remodeled and re-transformed into something special very soon. He said he asked when they were going to start making the changes and she said probably by the end of this year they'll start knocking buildings down round the area and begin redevelopment. He started getting all excited about the changes (new attractions and museums and hotels) and said this is going to be amazing for what's about to happen for Graceland and that it's going to be something like a musical theme park without rides and that he and his wife and daughter have already planned to return to Memphis once the changes have been done. He did say it was nice as it was but that it definitely can use a makeover and then laughed. He added "Why not build it bigger? Elvis is the King, give the man his crown and build him a throne to honor him!". They all laughed and agreed and then they went to commercial. As they came back from the break the background music playing while giving the weather update was A Little Less Conversation.

Anyhow it was great to hear such positivity towards EP from what is a station that never plays anything pre 1990's. And that's only on the lunch our that they even go that far back. Mostly all they play is current top 40 pop, rock, and hip hop. Whatever is hot at the moment. So this is major publicity our EP!

Quote Originally Posted by EP75 View Post
    .....He said he and his wife took their 12 year old daughter Amanda who didn't know much about EP and really didn't care to even go at first but that she had a great time and now is becoming a fan.

He said she fit in more than she thought she would because there were actually a LOT of children and teenagers there of all races!!!!:clap:
    Is it possible that a 12 year old doesn't need new attractions and amusement parks to become an Elvis fan?

He said something I really liked. "When you walk up there and you see the grave for the first time all lit up, you start to realize that it's not just another grave or another human being, this is ELVIS and you start to get teary eyed that you are actually there, as if you knew him personally. It's a site to see to believe!" That was a great thing for him to say.

I believe it at once

Anyhow it was great to hear such positivity towards EP from what is a station that never plays anything pre 1990's. And that's only on the lunch our that they even go that far back. Mostly all they play is current top 40 pop, rock, and hip hop. Whatever is hot at the moment. So this is major publicity our EP!

Thank you for posting. Great to hear all these positive things about Elvis, we still have commercials for the new CD The King on tv here in Germany. I am always glad to see it