Thread: Viva Las Vegas ?

Viva Las Vegas ?

I was wondeing if anyone knows the name of the black group that appeared in the film? I have done a little research and I am thinking it is The Jubilee Four...am I right ? if so also what was the song they sang ...I have been searching for some time now and can not find alot about them...can anyone help?

Susan x
    Yesterday was the past and tomorrow is the future but today is the present ..thats why we call it the gift"

"Never listen to a liar it takes too long to find out the truth and my time is too precious"

"Without you I am only half of me"

They were the Jubilee 4 and they sang The Climb.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails four.jpg  

Thankyou srj1967 I love the song now all I have to do find it somewhere on the net....

Susan x
    Yesterday was the past and tomorrow is the future but today is the present ..thats why we call it the gift"

"Never listen to a liar it takes too long to find out the truth and my time is too precious"

You can find the song on the 7inch Viva Las Vegas cd (FTD label).

I have just found some song out takes on youtube great stuff.......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jqy05oodzGE

Susan x

Coming On Strong
    Get the "Viva Las Vegas" FTD soundtrack if you can, it`s a cracker.

Now something like this should have been publicly known years ago and not through a private collector's release. EP producing a black group!!! That is groundbreaking news right there. Considering he is seen as a bigot in the black community and a thief. If the blacks new he produced a black act then they might actually grow respect for him. But come on, it's the EP world and the black artists and fans aren't as important, right? But they should be.

Quote Originally Posted by EP75 View Post
    Now something like this should have been publicly known years ago and not through a private collector's release. EP producing a black group!!! That is groundbreaking news right there. Considering he is seen as a bigot in the black community and a thief. If the blacks new he produced a black act then they might actually grow respect for him. But come on, it's the EP world and the black artists and fans aren't as important, right? But they should be.
    Then why wasn't the song included in the original EPs or singles?

Sorry, but there's no way Elvis could be considered the producer of these tracks from the Jubilee Four for the movie. You're drawing a very long bow here. Elvis wouldn't have been anywhere near the studio when they recorded.

Quote Originally Posted by srj1967 View Post

Sorry, but there's no way Elvis could be considered the producer of these tracks from the Jubilee Four for the movie. You're drawing a very long bow here. Elvis wouldn't have been anywhere near the studio when they recorded.
    I have to agree.
    Its a great song but Elvis probably had nothing to do with its production. He did have a good knowledge of black gospel and spiritual groups and may have recommended them to sing the song, possibly.
    (but thats just a guess) The song itself fits great in the movie.

Coming On Strong
    Elvis was there when this track was cut.............he can be heard stopping various takes!

Sorry but you're wrong here. EP is there and can clearly be heard saying "that's a little too fast " at one point during a cut. He's clearly leading them through it which is in today's standards called PRODUCING.

Quote Originally Posted by EP75 View Post
    Sorry but you're wrong here. EP is there and can clearly be heard saying "that's a little too fast " at one point during a cut. He's clearly leading them through it which is in today's standards called PRODUCING.
    I followed the link posted here to hear the takes of this song and it is Elvis who is speaking. I then did a quick search and found a review of this FTD release which mentions Elvis producing the track. I stand corrected in my earlier statement:' here is part of the review-
    The Climb' - Not just the master take, as indicated on the sleeve, but 4 takes! The first ever official release and what a stunner. This is a real discovery that, although this movie track has the sublime bass lead vocal of George 'Biggie' McFadden, Elvis was not only producing this track but also singing backup vocals with The Jordanaires! In the middle of Take 1 Elvis shouts, "Hold It. We picked up the tempo a little too much fellows." Everyone also laughs when it is suggested that they might be singing "Chick to chick"! It's a fabulous final track showing what fun Elvis could have in the studio with the right movie, right material and the right co-star.
    I checked a few other reviews and it appears only George McFadden is singing from the Jubilee Four- the Jordanaires are singing the other parts. Here is more interesting info The official producer for MGM at this session is listed as George Stoll:

Radio Recorders - Hollywood, California

Soundtrack Session for "Viva Las Vegas"
    MGM Producer : George Stoll
    Engineer : David Weichman

Musicians: Backup Vocals:

Guitar : Scotty Moore The Jordanaires : Gordon Stoker; Neal Matthews; Hoyt Hawkins; Ray Walker
    Guitar : Billy Strange Elvis Presley (The Climb)
    Guitar : Hilmer J "Tiny" Timbrell
    Bass : Bob Moore
    Drums : DJ Fontana
    Drums : Murrey "Buddy" Harman
    Drums : Frank Carlson
    Percussion : Hal Rees; Roy Hart; Larry Bunker;
    Frank Flynn; Michael Sylva (12-3.30)
    Piano : Floyd Cramer
    Piano : Dudley Brooks
    Piano / Organ : Calvin Jackson
    Saxophone : Homer "Boots" Randolph
    Saxophone : William Green (7.00pm - 11.00pm)
    Trumpet : James Zito (12.00am - 3.30am)
    Trombone : Herb Taylor (12.00am - 3.30am)
    Trombone : Randall Miller (12.00am - 3.30am)
    Guitar : Al Caiola (Santa Lucia - Overdub)
    Guitar / Harmonica : Dominic Contese (Santa Lucia)
    Lead Vocals : George McFadden (The Climb)
    Lead Vocals : Ann Margret (Duet on The Lady
    Loves Me; You're The Boss and
    Today Tomorrow & Forever)
    Last edited by KPM; 08-19-2007 at 12:29 PM.

Coming On Strong
    Glen Campbell should also be in there on guitar.

I'll have to take your word for it that Elvis is on that link, because I can't hear it on this PC ...

From Elvis Presley Blvd Lonniebealestreet's Avatar
    A bit off topic here, but I got it into my head a few years ago that the bass singer was one of the old guys digging a grave and singing in a particular scene in O Brother, Where Art Thou. It seems like it was somehow confirmed that I was crazy, but it seemed to fit at the time.
    ...you won't forget me when I go.

Quote Originally Posted by TurnpikeTaylor View Post
    Glen Campbell should also be in there on guitar.
    I got the session info from the web site "Master and Session" which has always been pretty reliable.

I'll have to take your word for it that Elvis is on that link, because I can't hear it on this PC ...
    I had a hard time hearing the voice also but after several listens I was fairly sure it was Elvis. But I still decided to run a search on the FTD release it came from and read several reviews of it and Elvis is mentioned as at the session and participating in almost all for that song. Amazed me. But it also amazed me that only George McFaddens voice was the only one on the recording from the group and the Jordanaires were the others.