Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 31

Thread: Why was Myrna Smith in the first car with Lisa and Vernon?

  1. #1
    TCB Mafia EP75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    1,060

    Why was Myrna Smith in the first car with Lisa and Vernon?

    WARNING:This is not meant to upset anyone of any background or beliefs. So please no flamers.

    I was talking to my girlfriend over the weekend and Myrna's name came into the conversation by her. She swears that EP and Myrna had a thing going on from what i have told her and what she has read herself. Then I thought back to seeing the raw footage of EP's funeral and seeing Myrna dressed in a short sleeve black dress walking with Lisa and the others the other day. This had me thinking about something I read a long time ago that Myrna spoke about. She said she was with Lisa and Vernon in the first car behind EP's hearse. Now I ask this because no other band mate, friends or ex's was in the car but family only. Why not Kathy? I have always found this odd. Now I learned just recently from an interview Myrna did recently that she says she and Jerry split up before EP died and reunited after EP's funeral. Then someone on this forum posted that EP bought Jerry the house in California as a peace offering for his relationship with Jerry's girl, Myrna. I never knew any of that. And she has also gone on record as to say that EP told her he was not going to marry Ginger but wouldn't say HOW he told her. What is that supposed to mean? Was it some type of intimacy that he showed Myrna that convinced her that he had no plans to marry her? And why would EP have to convince his backup singer something so private?

    These are just some of the things that leads me to believe the rumors about EP and Myrna are true. I think there's a fantastic brother-sister type of friendship turned love story there to be told by Myrna. No not incest style either.

    I believe it was in Child Bride that Myrna says something about being jealous of Priscilla and wanting to dress sexy like she did and wanted what Priscilla had and that included EP. I remember reading her saying that, and I believe it is in Child Bride that she said it.

    She also has said before that she doesn't like to be referred to as one of his girlfriends because in her words, that only meant "a queen for the night". In otehr words, they were much closer than that. That's another hint that she was closer to EP than she has revealed.

    I don't know if she will ever come forward and tell her side. But she needs to and soon. If anything it would help fix the tarnished image of EP in the black community that is so misunderstood as it is. And I don't think the EP world would disown EP for having an interracial love affair or even if he had secretly told Myrna that he wanted to marry her and her bare his children. I think 10, 15 or 20 years ago that might have caused some serious issues among some older EP fans. But most today couldn't care less. The world is changing and interracial relationships and marriages are way up and society has opened up to it more so than they have gay same sex marriages and relationships. So I don't think Myrna would receive any death threats or negativity from writing her story. Imagine if she did, and some movie producer wanted to turn it into a blockbuster film? Wow! Talk about breaking racial boundaries. If Myrna did write her own book, and knowing how loyal she has always been to him, then I think it would bring more to liking and respecting EP in a whole new fashion than has ever been seen before.

    She could be the loan person to change the negative past to a positive future for EP.

  2. #2
    International Level thehillbillycat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Byron, Georgia
    Posts
    785
    To tell the truth, it is really nobodys business of why she was in the car with Lisa and Vernon. That is my opinion, if she wants to tell then I am for it and will listen to it.
    Was there a relationship between the two? Perhaps. My opinion again, she was the best looking of the Sweet Inspirations. She have always said that she loved Elvis lot and also respected him and that they was really good friends. Their could be a relationship between the two as lovers or as a brother/sister, a sister that Elvis never had and could tell her anything and would kept private between the two. Only she and Elvis knows.

    Now, does it need to be known? I would say yes and no. Yes, so as you said would bring a light to Elvis that shows he truely wasn't racist and that he truely love Myrna. But I would say No, because it is really no one business. Elvis kept his life private so why tell something that is really private as a relationship.

    I have no problems with interracial relationships what so ever. Their is several beautiful black ladies out there - Alicia Keys and Beyonce to name a few.

    So it is up to Myrna Smith to tell the world how she truely felt about Elvis either it was two lovers or a brother/sister relationship.

  3. #3
    Cadillac King GirlHappy19's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Maui,Hawaii
    Posts
    336
    This is interesting.I never thought he was so close to her,but in a way I am glad because if this is true Elvis was thinking about the future with babies and all.Good for him.And yes her loyalty,respecting him so ver much.As for a book,she'll probably never write one.It's been 30 years and she remains in silence,so I doubt that she would writte one now.It would be great if she did.Thank you for sharing this wonderful news.

    GH19
    "Man,I just work here"
    EP 1968 ComaBack

  4. #4
    Heartbreak Hotel, Room 11 Albert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Assen, Netherlands
    Posts
    6,349
    That is an interesting read. Never thought about it before and have no idea why she could be in that first car. You're right about the level of friendship: to me it seems like there should be other people in that car?

    On the other hand: perhaps Vernon or Lisa liked her and wanted her in the first car -just a last minute decision-? Both knew her through Jerry. But I can't recall any big stories where she's part of. I believe she was there during the winter 1976 vacation with the gang? But not on the Hawaii 1977 vacation?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails mryna_smith.JPG  
    ‎"A year from now, you'll wish you had started today"

    Follow TCB-World on Twitter for website updates and Elvisnews: http://twitter.com/tcbworldcom






  5. #5
    ksimms2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Homosassa, FL
    Posts
    2,408
    well I never knew any of this - but am just now learning more and more....I'd say if Myrna was in the car with Lisa and Vernon then they considered her family and special. As for him not marrying Ginger - why on earth didn't someone say something instead of letting her go around and telling the world that they were getting married and making wedding plans - including the day of his death - she said :we were making all kinds of wedding plans and he was in such a great mood"......(she was too young for him...)

  6. #6
    TCB Mafia KPM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    7,932
    Never heard she was in the first car before-wouldn't that have been pretty noticeable to the press at the time. Speculation would have been rampant among them and everyone who attended the funeral. Wouldn't Priscilla have been in the same car as Lisa? If so this all seems kind of strange that it has never been commented on in any book when the funeral is mentioned. Heres a small piece I found on line:
    August 19 - "ELVIS BURIAL HUSHED, PRIVATE" "The 2 p.m. funeral sevices were held in Presley's music room, which ajoins the living room." " During the services a gospel quartet sang "How Great Thou Art" and Sweet, Sweet Spirit." Guests left Vernon Presley, the singer's father, alone after the last words were spoken. It was Vernon Presley whose car led the procession afterwards, when shortly after 3:30 p.m., guests and family members left the grounds. Behind that car followed the white hearse that bore the un-draped coffin. Behind the hearse rode Presley's divorced wife Priscilla, her face red behind her veil, clutching9-year-old Lisa Marie to her breast." - The Tennessean - Nashville
    Last edited by KPM; 08-13-2007 at 02:14 PM.

  7. #7
    Loving elvis
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    7,974
    Thanks for the information, maybe one day we will know the turth on this matter.

  8. #8
    TCB Mafia EP75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    1,060
    Quote Originally Posted by KPM View Post
    Never heard she was in the first car before-wouldn't that have been pretty noticeable to the press at the time. Speculation would have been rampant among them and everyone who attended the funeral. Wouldn't Priscilla have been in the same car as Lisa? If so this all seems kind of strange that it has never been commented on in any book when the funeral is mentioned. Heres a small piece I found on line:
    August 19 - "ELVIS BURIAL HUSHED, PRIVATE" "The 2 p.m. funeral sevices were held in Presley's music room, which ajoins the living room." " During the services a gospel quartet sang "How Great Thou Art" and Sweet, Sweet Spirit." Guests left Vernon Presley, the singer's father, alone after the last words were spoken. It was Vernon Presley whose car led the procession afterwards, when shortly after 3:30 p.m., guests and family members left the grounds. Behind that car followed the white hearse that bore the un-draped coffin. Behind the hearse rode Presley's divorced wife Priscilla, her face red behind her veil, clutching9-year-old Lisa Marie to her breast." - The Tennessean - Nashville
    That is all very interesting and misleading. For one thing Vernon was in no shape to drive his own car to the funeral. The paper had to be wrong about that. Another thing, Myrna did say that she was with Lisa and Vernon and Priscilla. I left her out accidentally. I think his grandmother was also in the car. Lisa sat next to Myrna.

  9. #9
    TCB Mafia KPM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    7,932
    Quote Originally Posted by EP75 View Post
    That is all very interesting and misleading. For one thing Vernon was in no shape to drive his own car to the funeral. The paper had to be wrong about that. Another thing, Myrna did say that she was with Lisa and Vernon and Priscilla. I left her out accidentally. I think his grandmother was also in the car. Lisa sat next to Myrna.
    Well it does not really say he was driving the car, it says his car was leading the funeral. IMO - if Myrna was in the first car, a lot of questions would have surfaced long before now. I mean it would have been noticed big time by the press and every person at the funeral. It would be a juicy tidbit for the tabloids and for the 100s of books which have come since that time. I can not recall it ever being suggested till here. It could be the paper was wrong. But its funny it has never surfaced in 30 years. IMO-The speculations on Elvis's life have sold millions of copies-this would have been a big sales plus-if it was reported in any book but it hasn't been.(as of yet anyway 30 years later) But I can not say it isn't so.
    Last edited by KPM; 08-13-2007 at 03:44 PM.

  10. #10
    TCB Mafia EP75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    1,060
    Quote Originally Posted by KPM View Post
    Well it does not really say he was driving the car, it says his car was leading the funeral. IMO - if Myrna was in the first car, a lot of questions would have surfaced long before now. I mean it would have been noticed big time by the press and every person at the funeral. It would be a juicy tidbit for the tabloids and for the 100s of books which have come since that time. I can not recall it ever being suggested till here. It could be the paper was wrong. But its funny it has never surfaced in 30 years. IMO-The speculations on Elvis's life have sold millions of copies-this would have been a big sales plus-if it was reported in any book but it hasn't been.(as of yet anyway 30 years later) But I can not say it isn't so.
    There's a lot of stuff that has gone unnoticed and is now starting to come out that wasn't mentioned back then or over the past 30 years. . Linda and Joe both stated on Larry king Live that there's some things about EP that will be be told. Could Myrna be a part of that?

    Another thing. Beyonce went on for almost 2 years claiming that she and rapper Jay Z were just good friends. Now everyone today knows that she lied and that they are a couple and have been for over 6 years now. My point being that the EP/Myrna friendship could have been a ploy to keep the media away, just as Beyonce did with her relationship.

  11. #11
    TCB Mafia KPM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    7,932
    According to Joe Esposito in his book "Good Rockin Tonight" Vernon gave instructions to him as to who would ride in the different cars-in Vernons car were Sandy (Vernons Girlfriend) Grandma, and Aunt Delta.Lisa Marie, Priscilla, Joes ex-wife Joan and Priscillas family were in the second. Joe, his girlfriend and some of the other pallbearers were in the third. Jerry Schilling, Myrna, Lamar, and others rode in another limo. Thats pretty definitive if true.

  12. #12
    TCB Mafia EP75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    1,060
    Quote Originally Posted by KPM View Post
    According to Joe Esposito in his book "Good Rockin Tonight" Vernon gave instructions to him as to who would ride in the different cars-in Vernons car were Sandy (Vernons Girlfriend) Grandma, and Aunt Delta.Lisa Marie, Priscilla, Joes ex-wife Joan and Priscillas family were in the second. Joe, his girlfriend and some of the other pallbearers were in the third. Jerry Schilling, Myrna, Lamar, and others rode in another limo. Thats pretty definitive if true.
    Interesting. But I do find it hard to believe that Joe could remember exactly who rode with who. Unless he had a list of who was in what car. Now I could understand if he said who rode with him, as Myrna did. That would be more believable. Also Joe had to go to Myrna and a few others to get his stories right as he couldn't remember certain details and Myrna has a photographic memory.

  13. #13
    TCB Mafia
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    1,039
    Quote Originally Posted by EP75 View Post
    Interesting. But I do find it hard to believe that Joe could remember exactly who rode with who. Unless he had a list of who was in what car. Now I could understand if he said who rode with him, as Myrna did. That would be more believable. Also Joe had to go to Myrna and a few others to get his stories right as he couldn't remember certain details and Myrna has a photographic memory.

    Believe Joe arranged a lot of the funeral, so not surprising he would remember.

    Myrna stated, categorically in a recent interview, that she and Elvis had no lover's relationship. If she says that, then we have to believe her until proven otherwise. Wishful thinking will not change this fact.

  14. #14
    TCB Mafia KPM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    7,932
    According to Priscillas book She and Lisa rode with Vernon and Sandy in the first car. Still no mention of Myrna in either account. I mean from all I've read (and can remember) I know for a fact Lisa and Priscilla rode in one of the first cars. I know for fact Vernon would have been in one of those cars.
    Now it makes sense that Aunt Delta and Elvis's Grandma Dodger would have been in one of those cars. Ginger Alden was suppose to marry Elvis (according to her and some others)- but she was not in one of those cars. Priscilla did not allow Linda Thompson to ride to Memphis on Elvis's plane the Lisa Marie with her-why would she allow Myrna to ride in the family car with her and Lisa? I have no problem with Elvis and Myrna maybe having a fling (if its true) I really don't see it making a difference in Elvis's credibility in most African Americans minds. But if it happened it happened. But so far their is no proof. Until she comes out and says it happened its just a rumor. Until someone comes out and says she definitely rode with Priscilla and Lisa-or with Vernon, Priscilla, and Lisa, and others its just conjecture. IMO
    Does anyone remember what Schilling said in his recent book about who he rode with? I got it from the library and read it so I can't refer to it to check.

  15. #15
    Cadillac King TLC67's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Where the alligators grow so mean.
    Posts
    293
    I believe that Lisa was really close to Myrna and the other Sweets. Maybe that is why, if it's true.

  16. #16
    TCB Mafia KPM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    7,932
    That may be true Lisa was close to the Sweets, but she was very, very close to Linda Thompson-she called Linda to tell her Elvis had died. But Linda was not in the car. IMO it just at this point is only a rumor. I checked several other books I have and they mention Vernon ,Sandy, Priscilla, and Lisa riding together- or there is no mention of who ride with who at all. Is it possible it could have happened-yes. But so far in several books there is no proof whatsoever. The only for sure is as I stated- Vernon, Priscilla and Lisa are mentioned in all accounts. So-IMO- I have to go by what I have read or heard and what seems logical.
    I will say this-if Priscilla would not let Linda, or Ginger ride with her-and if the rumor of some relationship with Myrna is true-that would make it even more doubtful that she would be in the family car with Priscilla. I'm curious as to where this comment by Myrna was made concerning riding in their car? I have posted inquiries about this in different ways on the net and nothing comes up.

  17. #17
    Loving elvis
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    7,974
    I read in Myrna interview she was friends with priscilla so why wouldn't she ride with the family??

  18. #18
    TCB Mafia KPM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    7,932
    I am not saying their is anything wrong if she did-I'm just saying there is no proof so far that it happened. If some have information which helps prove it might have happened, I'm willing to look at it and reconsider.
    The "perhaps affair" is the part that is more serious to speculate on. It could have happened also, but I find less proof of that than the limo ride to the funeral. I can only go by what I have read or heard and a lot of times it does not always tell the same story. This story is no different, I have never heard it anywhere except here. I looked up the subject in some of my books and ran a search on the net, so far have found nothing to back up the idea of an affair- or her in the family cars.
    Let me be clear I am not saying their would be anything wrong with her being in the family car, nor her having a fling with Elvis. If anyone has a book, or link to an interview with any info on this subject -post it and I'll be happy to look at it. I'm not trying to argue its just my opinion from the info I have.

  19. #19
    Backstage Pass Gary1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    142
    I've only seen one photo of Lisa at Elvis' funeral and she was with her mother.

  20. #20
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    282
    Quote Originally Posted by KPM View Post
    According to Priscillas book She and Lisa rode with Vernon and Sandy in the first car. Still no mention of Myrna in either account. -or with Vernon, Priscilla, and Lisa, and others its just conjecture. IMO

    This is correct.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Anna Nicole Smith Is Dead, Her Lawyer Says
    By thehillbillycat in forum Off topic
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 02-12-2007, 07:18 AM
  2. interview with myrna smith
    By elvislady in forum Elvis Presley
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 11-16-2006, 06:26 PM
  3. myrna smith interview
    By mistymorning in forum Elvis Presley
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-25-2005, 04:39 AM
  4. "See, what happened....." (Myrna Smith)
    By Lonniebealestreet in forum Elvis Presley
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 02-27-2005, 07:07 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •