Thread: Quotes from Red West

Quotes from Red West

I found these 2 quotes by Red West in the book "Elvis Up Close" and they seem to cut Elvis quite a bit of slack. He seems to see Elvis in some ways as a victim of his life.
    Red West-"Elvis was like a prisoner. He couldn't go out and do things like other people. Wherever we'd go people were there; that comes with the territory. And anybody who reaches his level and can handle it, congratulations; cause I don't think anybody can do it."

Red West-"Elvis on the other hand, was almost locked in his room whenever we did the four-week bookings in Las Vegas(twice a year), and thats a long time for anybody. he couldn't go anywhere. Out in public he was always stalked. When he would go out the crowds were unbelievable. We went to a gun shop once and looked up and here's a guy-ban, bam, bam-taking pictures. So we go back to the room. Actually Elvis was looking for a way to feel better, to just get out of the pressure. I would sit there in Vegas and I was going nuts, too. Theres only one way that {kind of situation} can go; the way it did"

IMO Red seems to be saying no one could have done any better in the situation Elvis was in- no one can realize the extent of the pressure unless you had lived it. Red is seen by many as a staight shooter so If thats the case it seems he has a lot more empathy for Elvis's problems than some fans.

TCB Mafia
    Quote Originally Posted by KPM View Post
    And anybody who reaches his level and can handle it, congratulations; cause I don't think anybody can do it."

Well said, KPM, "Like KPM said" lol

This has been my feeling, all along.

Kim

Red West said it like it was......how else could Elvis' life have been with all the success he achieved especially with the open personality he had with his fans. He never distanced himself from them like other performers so they took advantage of it......unfortunately that's human nature but Elvis' fans were way out of control. They reminded me of a pack of hyenas.

In many ways, Elvis gave the fans far more respect than they gave him. They shoved and pushed at him, had no respect for his privacy and tore at his clothes trying to get anything and everything they could out of him.....and he took it with a smile showing how he cared for them like no other performer ever has.

Finally it got to the point where as Red said, he couldn't go out at all. He must have felt like a performing animal kept in a cage. I'm surprised he didn't go stark raving mad!

Diane
    Last edited by Diane; 08-12-2007 at 03:47 PM.

Cool

Thank's alot for this great post KPM!!!!!I really appreciate Red saying this so much!!!!!
    Last edited by nolvis; 08-12-2007 at 05:06 PM.

No one says here the situation Elvis lived was easy at all, it must be a hell to be a prisioner of your own fame like that, and I am not being insensible towards Elvis situation, neither intend to be preachy, but really? taking all those pills to knock your self out as the only way to pass the time while locked in your room?

What about spending all that time inside your suite in trying to prove yourself into the song writing? I can understand Reds point of view, but I guess his point of view turned out to be not the best company/advice for Elvis during those lousy look ups in Vegas.

OK Burn me now.
    Last edited by Raised on Rock; 08-12-2007 at 06:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Raised on Rock View Post
    No one says here the situation Elvis lived was easy at all, it must be a hell to be a prisioner of your own fame like that, and I am not being insensible towards Elvis situation, neither intend to be preachy, but really? taking all those pills to knock your self out as the only way to pass the time while locked in your room?

What about spending all that time inside your suite in trying to prove yourself into the song writing? I can understand Reds point of view, but I guess his point of view turned out to be not the best company/advice for Elvis during those lousy look ups in Vegas.

OK Burn me now.
    Pal you're intitled to your opinion. Thats why we discuss these things. Just because you see it different is not a problem with me. I just thought his comments were relevant to a lot of issues.