Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Memories of that black day in August 1977

International Level Menwithbrokenhearts's Avatar
    I was 11 years old and had just got home from school when my dad called with the news. "Turn on the TV son, you won't believe what's going on". I did , and I sat mesmerized and sad until my mom got home. She had already heard the news and grieved with me. My mom had just seen him in 75, and my brother and I in 76 and we had tickets to see him that year in Memphis. It was unbelievable. The Tv was filled with images of crowds of people crying, grieving, passing out from grief and the heat. And then, on top of that, the car that plunges into the crowd killing people. It was a shocking sad day.

I spent the following days, weeks and months playing records in my room, looking at books and movies, trying to imagine the concert and replaying it in my head, clipping newspapers, watching the funeral coverage, wishing he was still here, praying for him and his family, collecting more stuff.
    It's behavior I would repeat off and on from then on.
    Got my family, my kids, my books and my music, I'm good, yeah, I'm good.....

International Level
    Quote Originally Posted by franny
    This is a clip from the Action News 5 (WMC-TV Memphis, NBC) when it was anounced that Elvis Presley had died. Dick Hawley goes to Mason Granger live at Baptist Hospital downtown with details of whether or not he had drugs in his system....

franny

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slqXtBZulEs
    Thanks, Franny! And so the cover up began with the emphatic denial of Dr. Nick.....

International Level spanish eyes's Avatar
    I was 8, nearly 9 years when Elvis died, I was on holiday with my family. I remember my Dad handing me the newspaper and asking me not to cry when I read it. Taking the newspaper into my hands a saw the headline ELVIS IS DEAD. I began to shake so violently with shock, thinking no its a mistake, he can't be dead. It took me a while to get over the shock. I still feel sad today knowing that Elvis will not record any more music nor appear live on stage, which was one of my ambitions when I grew up.
    You ask how long I love you, I'll tell you true,
    until the Twelfth of Never, I'll still be loving you

LIF

Quote Originally Posted by Cherokee
    Thanks, Franny! And so the cover up began with the emphatic denial of Dr. Nick.....
    You're welcome, cherokee
    Yes, the cover up did begin with Dr. Nick...I can't believe they would go on the news before comfirming all details of Dr. Nick's involvement and his contribution to all those pills he "prescribed"...

franny

Quote Originally Posted by franny
    You're welcome, cherokee
    Yes, the cover up did begin with Dr. Nick...I can't believe they would go on the news before comfirming all details of Dr. Nick's involvement and his contribution to all those pills he "prescribed"...

franny

I believe A lot of the guys were covering their own butts too . Lets face it Elvis didn't go out and get all that stuff alone, they got it for him, and delivered it to him, which has debatable legality. Though I also believe the stories that what Elvis wanted he got one way or another, which is why he had more then one Doctor and some in different cities and back then they didn't cross check things like they do in 2006.

International Level

Cool

Yeah and the Stanley's supplied him with enough drugs that wern't of the prescribed nature as well.
    The Sun Never Sets On A Legend...

Cadillac King
    I first heared of Elvis one day before he died. Before that day, I liked all kinds of music, but didn't have a fav. Then my brother played a record of Elvis and it was as if lightning stroke me. I was interested immediately. I played his record all day long and even sang some songs later on that day. I never heared about the person Elvis and didn't know anything about the bad critesizm about him. That happened later on and that was the reason I got more into the person Elvis. Anyway, the day after I first heared about Elvis I woke up with my radio and heared the bad news. I was shocked and thought: This just can't be! Then I realised that it WAS true and cried my eyes out. My mum thought I was ill and I told hear that Elvis had died. I felt empty but had to go to school. I was dressed all in black and couldn't stop crying throughout the day. The students asked my teacher what was wrong and he just said: Just leave her, Elvis died. Most thought it was rediculous to cry about someone you never met. My parents couldn't understand me either. They said: Come on, get real. You're acting as if one of us died. However, later on my mum was happy that I loved Elvis so much. Now she didn't have to my bedroom walls anymore, because everything was decorated with pic's and posters of Elvis. Lol. Elvis intregued me more and more and started to read eveything I could get my hands on. The more I read the more I started to understand Elvis and the more I loved him. I learned to seperate junk from realistic (not necessarely true) stories. Even now I still cry when I see Elvis's last show, singing : My way., knowing I'll never will see him in person. The thought makes me feel empty inside. I'm sure that Elvis wouldh've still done great with nowadays music.

Christel (TCE)
    Last edited by TCE; 07-04-2006 at 12:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TCE
    Even now I still cry when I see Elvis's last show, singing : My way., knowing I'll never will see him in person. The thought makes me feel empty inside. I'm sure that Elvis wouldh've still done great with nowadays music.

Christel (TCE)

It is pretty haunting, knowing how big a part of the 77 tour that "My way" was, when you listen to the music and compare them to his life and then knowing he was about to die. Sure he'd sung it for years, but, IMO not with the feeling or emotion of 1977.

Quote Originally Posted by 0349054
    Yeah and the Stanley's supplied him with enough drugs that wern't of the prescribed nature as well.
    The Stanley's are another story...
    I can't believe the movie the Headhunter will be coming out later this year...another classic...

franny

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12