Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Following Aloha should have came a career move

Following Aloha should have came a career move

Following the Aloha benefit concert EP's health and career began to slide downhill. It was the first time he was officially hospitalized for health problems that we knew of. I believe it was in February 1973. Then with the success of the 2 LP live album reaching and debuting at #1, his next 3 albums to follow (Raised On Rock, Good Times and Promised Land) all failed to break the Top 20 on the Billboard 100. His image went from being the hottest rock ticket on the planet to being a washed up Vegas act to the public. All in just a short time period. And finally the power in EP's performances dwindled from a more rocking soulful sound to a more softer country pop sound for his shows and his albums. Although there still were at times signs of magic and his brilliance remaining in an aging 42 year old body riddled with drugs. The rest of that period (1973-77)displayed an image of what once was.

It seemed that following the Aloha success, EP wen the opposite direction than moving into a new more positive direction. He needed a new career move and there wasn't one given to him. Instead of touring overseas and making good top quality films as he desperately wanted to do like A Star Is Born, he went backwards and kept up his usual routine of Vegas shows and touring the Midwest and southern cities of two shows a night and one night stands. EP got burnt out on the usual and instead of doing something different to make it enjoyable and exciting again and not just a job, he caved in to the Colonel and to his posse. I think this is what really did EP in the most. The drugs didn't kick in as bad until AFTER Aloha also. And as we all know, the divorce took place after Aloha too.

So in a sense of reality and popularity, EP actually died in 1973 as the entertainer the world knew him as. The human died in 1977 overweight and in some eyes, finished.

Had EP taken a year off from touring in 1973 following the tv special, excepted the marriage was over and had moved on to Linda instead of drowning in his sorrows, concentrated on top quality material for his albums, spent the year recuperating from an exhausting US tour in 1972 that started off in January in Vegas and didn't end until November in Hawaii, then EP might have actually had a much better and longer career in the process. Who knows, he might have still been alive today and over the past 30 years could have had many more #1 singles and albums. More record setting performances. And Michael Jackson's glory years would have been adequate compared to EP still making history himself. EP would have still been the EP as always-the King! Imagine what the New Year's Eve show in Detroit in 1975 would have been like with a more inspired and healthier EP.

Loving elvis
    Don't think by taking time off would of kept him alive, He didn't take care of himself and thats when things went down hill for him.

From 55 to 77 he had a 22 year career-stardom like no one before him. His last couple years were sad to say the least. Now its it easy to say what might have been the right thing to do-to change what we now know happened. But theres no way to know what would have been right. I try not to let the last few years to overshadow the 19 or 20 before that.

I agree l00% KPM!

I think exhaustion played a part, but the pills took it's toll on Elvis...who knows the "what if's"...I think Elvis would had to do make major changes in his life, but we still don't know if that would have made a difference by 74'...

It's one of those things, we will never know...

franny

"making good top quality films as he desperately wanted to do like A Star Is Born,"

In the latest interview with Sonny West on EIN this was mentioned.He stated Elvis didnt want to do the film and told the Col to get him out of it.He stated Parker has wrongly taken the blame all these years when it was Elvis who killed the idea.There is no reason to doubt that statement.All of your observations are basically correct.Elvis' increasingly bad habits stole his desire and motivation during the period you discuss.
    Jak

Quote Originally Posted by jak View Post
    "making good top quality films as he desperately wanted to do like A Star Is Born,"

In the latest interview with Sonny West on EIN this was mentioned.He stated Elvis didnt want to do the film and told the Col to get him out of it.He stated Parker has wrongly taken the blame all these years when it was Elvis who killed the idea.There is no reason to doubt that statement.All of your observations are basically correct.Elvis' increasingly bad habits stole his desire and motivation during the period you discuss.
    Jak
    Since when is Sonny West a reliable source. This man still has to back himself up for what he did in 1977. Elvis wanted this role. Pure and simple. After Barbra Streisand approached him Elvis started to work on himself. Trying to get himself in shape.

It all came together. The plans for the Karate Special and probably playing the role of his life which might be a possibility to make a comeback in more serious roles in the future. But first the Karate Special got the red light. Then Elvis lost his role in the movie and from then on you could see it went downhill.

People like Sonny West are not interested in painting the pure Elvis picture. Just like EPE they are only interested in re-shaping their own part in this puzzle.

I think Elvis had a glories career the way he did it.
    Everyone knows that he didnt take care of himself and noone schould try to tell him how to live his life (especially not 30 years after his death).
    So dont use all this energy wondering what would have happend if he did this or this.
    Just enjoy what he did for all of us and share a tear for a man who gave everything for us and nothing for himself.
    Elvis Presley will always and forever be THE KING.
    [Royalties come and go....... But there is only one man we always call THE KING

Elvis had many great moments after the Aloha, his biggest problem, ( aside from prescription abuse ) was he depressed, plain and simple, which sapped a lot of his desire to stay in shape or to tackle projects such as A Star as Born, so a world tour, when feeling like this, would have been too much to ask. He needed time off, period, perhaps a year or even two years, to freshen up, physically and most importantly, mentally.

Quote Originally Posted by jak View Post

Jak
    Sonny West is wrong. Myrna Smith whow as actually there in the meeting (with the producer and Steisand and EP) said EP was heartbroken when the Colonel demanded that EP get top billing and that killed the project for EP. This was also the last hope for EP to turn things around. After that, he pretty much just gave up. Besides, none of the Mafia was even around at the time of his death or much of 1977. Lacker, Sonny and Red were all fired and then turned on him to write what I call the final nail in the coffin, the book What Happened.

Sonny West has proven himself to be reliable.He has always been consistent.The ones that really knew Elvis best were a select few of the MM.They were his confidants if you like them or not.Elvis couldnt have done the film because he wasnt up to it at that point in his life.It would have been a disaster and he knew it.Sonny has no reason to lie.Myrna Smith was not on the inside like the MM.Elvis just passd the back so he would save face.I dont think many here actually realize just how poorly Elvis' mental and physical state was at that time.He was pretty much beyond help at that point.How was he going to maintain sobriety while he worked for a few months or whatever while making a major film?You actually think he was just going to stop taking drugs?He had already tried detox in the hospital at that point if im not mistaken and that didnt work.No way he was just going to get himself in shape by snapping his fingers.Elvis being heartbroken over the loss of that film role is a great myth.Once again so many say the Col just told Elvis the way it was going to be so Elvis just shrunk away.Dont forget the 68 special when the Col wanted a xmas show and Elvis told him how it was gonna be.When Elvis wanted something he got it.The movie role would have been the same way.Blaming the Col is a joke.I dont believe for one second Elvis wanted to go through with that movie role.He may have had a moment of consideration but Im sure he realized the reality of his situation and then backed out.
    Jak

Loving elvis
    l read he was excited about this movie chance, and as for the mm they are no good in eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by EP75 View Post
    Sonny West is wrong. Myrna Smith whow as actually there in the meeting (with the producer and Steisand and EP) said EP was heartbroken when the Colonel demanded that EP get top billing and that killed the project for EP. This was also the last hope for EP to turn things around. After that, he pretty much just gave up. Besides, none of the Mafia was even around at the time of his death or much of 1977. Lacker, Sonny and Red were all fired and then turned on him to write what I call the final nail in the coffin, the book What Happened.
    Elvis was approached for the movie in 1975.All the MM were still there at the time.
    Jak

re

I think Elvis didn't had a challenge in his life anymore,and was disappointed in things in his life...like not getting the role in A Star is Born...i think after that,he didn't want anything more,and just let things happen and didn't take care of himself anymore...very sad
    I'd like to go to Graceland
    Memphis,Tennessee

Quote Originally Posted by Leroy View Post
    Since when is Sonny West a reliable source. This man still has to back himself up for what he did in 1977. Elvis wanted this role. Pure and simple. After Barbra Streisand approached him Elvis started to work on himself. Trying to get himself in shape.

It all came together. The plans for the Karate Special and probably playing the role of his life which might be a possibility to make a comeback in more serious roles in the future. But first the Karate Special got the red light. Then Elvis lost his role in the movie and from then on you could see it went downhill.

People like Sonny West are not interested in painting the pure Elvis picture. Just like EPE they are only interested in re-shaping their own part in this puzzle.
    West has always been a reliable source.He doesnt owe anybody anything for what he did in 77.The fans need to get over it.
    Elvis didnt finish his karate film becuase he couldnt.He was going to be the force behind the film but he wasnt able to follow through.That karate project he got started was a good two years earlier than the filming of Star is Born I think.By the time the chance of that role with Streisand came about he was in far worse condition.If he couldnt finish his pet project of the karate film how does anybody think he could have had the work ethic to complete a major film?Elvis knew he couldnt.
    Jak

Loving elvis
    He gave up after the movie but also lost that spark he had for life and excitement. I will never forgive sonny or any of the MM.

Quote Originally Posted by presley31 View Post
    He gave up after the movie but also lost that spark he had for life and excitement. I will never forgive sonny or any of the MM.
    No offense but it's that kind of thinking that allows people to ignore the truth about what Elvis did to himself.It's much easier to make Elvis the victim.Elvis had given up long before that film was discussed.
    Jak

Loving elvis
    I don't think he gave up before the movie, but we all have different opinions.

Let me get this straight Jak. You are saying that just because the Mafia was there and around EP (as were so many others) that their story stands ahead of all others and that they have no reason to lie? OK, interesting. Then why did they LIE in the book back in 1977 to begin with? Why did they LIE on Larry King Live just last year and try to make Esposito look like a fraud on there? Why did they also disrespect Kathy Westmoreland on that same show by saying that she was crazy and didn't know what she was saying? Face it. The Mafia is a bunch of thugs and tough guy bullies and have apparently brainwashed some fans into believing everything that they say about EP (although it is mostly degrading and embarrassing of him) is the Holy truth?

The truth of the matter is that the Mafia if anyone else around EP has as much to gain by LYING than telling the truth. Why? Because they love the popularity and even 30 years after his death continue to not only live off of his fame but degrade him even more. They love to THINK that their story is what ALL EP fans want to know and hear. It's their way of getting attention. And now 30 years later they are still putting out more books and changing their stories around, while more loyal friends to EP like Myrna Smith hasn't even written a book about EP when she could have back in 1977. Remember, EP told her that he wanted her to write his autobiography someday, because she knew him best, through his own eyes. Not the Mafia buds. That's the one thing I love about Myrna. She's never attempted to stab him in the back and portray him after all these years. A little consistency in their story would also go a longer way in giving them some type of credibility and reliable input. Here's something EP fans who are MM fans seem to forget. Back in 1977 when ABC interviewed the 3 Mafia leaches Sonny was the one to speak up and say "when we wrote this book it was out of bitterness". There's your answer to what they actually thought about EP in the first place. It was a revenge plot against EP since they were fired.

Any EP fans who glorify them or act as if they tried to help EP are obviously not well aware of their true identity. EPE even banned them from ever stepping foot on the Graceland property. And that was probably the best thing to respect EP that they have ever done.

Another thing. Myrna was more in the know than most realize. Her boyfriend was EP's right hand man for crying out loud. Not the other Mafia guys and they have always disrespected Schilling and because of Myrna and his relationship to begin with. Myrna herself has also said that she was around him on the road and at home where she lived with him and saw him 24/7. I guess most EP fans have forgotten about that and that when she and Jerry got married in 1982 that none of the guys went because of the interracial thing except for Klein and Esposito. Joan Esposito was Myrna's maid of honor if I'm not mistaken and Lisa Marie was the flower girl. Priscilla was there too. But that's all another story.

Now back to the original topic. EP was in good not great but good enough shape to have worked on that film in 1975. I don't buy that he was too gone to get it together then. I saw EP in May/June of that year and he was fantastic. Almost Aloha looking with a few extra pounds and even sounded better than Aloha. He was on his game then. It was late in the year that he began to fall apart.

Quote Originally Posted by presley31 View Post
    You are exactly right and I share your feelings towards the Mafia. In my own personal feelings and opinion, it was the Mafia that killed ERP. Not the drugs. They too did heavier drugs than EP did but like to hush up about that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast