Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Alternate Aloha

International Level SeeSeeRider777's Avatar

Alternate Aloha

What's a matter with Elvis during this concert?
    "When I was a child, ladies and gentlemen, I was a dreamer. I read comic books, and I was a hero in the movie. So every dream that I ever dreamed has come true a hundred times. I learned very early in life that without a song, the day would never end; without a song, a man ain't got a friend; without a song, the road would never bend; without a song. So I keep singing a song." - Elvis Presley

Nothing, I thought he was awesome, with the exception of a few early mistakes, which were ironed out for the actual Aloha special, which was the point of the rehearsal show.

re

I was thinking this too,because he had a strange look in his eyes.
    I'd like to go to Graceland
    Memphis,Tennessee

Backstage Pass
    Obviously took too many pills whether uppers or prescription I don't know - I did read it somewhere. In the footage of the press conferences before the show, wearing ann all white shuit, its very hard to watch with Elvis slurring most of his words and very obviously all doped up

I have often wondered how he managed to sing at all during the concert as he could barely talk before it

Backstage Pass
    Elvis wasn't stoned or took any pills when he did the alternate aloha. He had a nice tan and he was in a good shape. Elvis was very nervous during the show. Remember how he stood behind the curtain in That's the way it is. Waiting to go on stage, and when he was he smiled from nervousness.. This time is was not a showroom or anything else. It was the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Trev1 View Post
    In the footage of the press conferences before the show, wearing ann all white shuit, its very hard to watch with Elvis slurring most of his words and very obviously all doped up

I have often wondered how he managed to sing at all during the concert as he could barely talk before it
    Got news for you Trev1, that press conference you refer to was actually taped at the Hilton Hotel in Vegas after his show on September 4, 1972, five months before the Aloha show

And yes, he was clearly doped up and not in good shape.

Please try and get your dates and facts right before launching a tirade ...
    Last edited by srj1967; 08-02-2007 at 08:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Ocean View Post
    Elvis wasn't stoned or took any pills when he did the alternate aloha.
    A naive statement.

Elvis may not have been acting stoned, but he started taking pills in the 50s ... and never stopped. Of course he had pills in him when he did the Aloha shows.

During the Aloha period, he just had a better grip on his pill intake than the latter years.

Quote Originally Posted by SeeSeeRider777 View Post
    What's a matter with Elvis during this concert?
    What exactly do you mean?

He was completely clean for the Aloha shows. He was a more like himself for the rehearsal, looser, more interaction with the crowd, for the show itself with so much on the line, ( the first world-wide broadcast via satellite ) he was completely focused.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Car View Post
    He was completely clean for the Aloha shows.
    "Completely clean" means that drugs were totally out of his system.

They were not - not since the 50s. But he was certainly focussed as you say, and was probably the "cleanest" he'd been in years.

And he certainly was never, ever as clean or focussed again after Aloha.

What I mean is look at him when he starts singing See See Rider. I hate to say it but he looks high. He started to get better after he sung Fever.
    "When I was a child, ladies and gentlemen, I was a dreamer. I read comic books, and I was a hero in the movie. So every dream that I ever dreamed has come true a hundred times. I learned very early in life that without a song, the day would never end; without a song, a man ain't got a friend; without a song, the road would never bend; without a song. So I keep singing a song." - Elvis Presley

I hate to say it but he looks high.
    Technically speaking, as I discussed above, he was.

But, aside from him being quite nervous, I find that in both shows he's very much on the ball with no signs of drug problems, and very lucid.

Quote Originally Posted by srj1967 View Post
    "Completely clean" means that drugs were totally out of his system.

They were not - not since the 50s. But he was certainly focussed as you say, and was probably the "cleanest" he'd been in years.

And he certainly was never, ever as clean or focussed again after Aloha.
    If we're splitting hairs, then you are right.

SeeSeeRider777, nobody could sing that great, and be "high," I don't care who they are. Sonny West said that he stopped taking meds while preparing for the Aloha. No way was Elvis going to embarrass himself in front of the whole world!

True he wouldnt want to embarass himself in front of the whole world. But what is the explanation for slurring See See Rider, messing up the lyrics for Burning Love, Something, My Way, Steamroller Blues, Welcome to My World? But he did do Cant Help Falling in Love better here than in the live show.

True he wouldnt want to embarass himself in front of the whole world. But what is the explanation for slurring See See Rider, messing up the lyrics for Burning Love, Something, My Way, Steamroller Blues, Welcome to My World? But he did do Cant Help Falling in Love better here than in the live show.
    It was a rehearsal show, mistakes were made, even the guy playing the flute hit an off-key note for Trilogy. Keep in mind, they hadn't done a live show since Nov 18th of 1972, which was almost two months earlier, in Hawaii as a matter of fact. The rehearsal show was an excellent idea, and after a few early mistakes, EP was back in the groove, thus his mistake free performance for the aired special itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Car View Post
    The rehearsal show was an excellent idea, and after a few early mistakes, EP was back in the groove, thus his mistake free performance for the aired special itself.
    Actually, he came in four bars too early at the beginning of It's Over during the worldwide telecast.

Look carefully in the background, and you'll see Joe Guercio madly scrambling to make sure the band gets back on the right note ...

Actually, he came in four bars too early at the beginning of It's Over during the worldwide telecast.

Look carefully in the background, and you'll see Joe Guercio madly scrambling to make sure the band gets back on the right note ...
    I saw it, i have never seen this before! , but when exactly did Elvis started with the drugs? In the Army?

Sorry my "Good" English!
    Taking Care of Business
    Til we meet you again, may God bless you, Adios.

If that's all he did wrong, in front of a billion to billion and a half people, then I'd say that's as good as it gets! He nailed number after number that night, putting on a singing clinic!

Quote Originally Posted by toffe View Post
    I saw it, i have never seen this before! , but when exactly did Elvis started with the drugs? In the Army?

Sorry my "Good" English!
    He definitely used uppers etc in the army. There are some who suggest he used stuff like that earlier in his career, but I don't know if those stories are really true.

But let us not turn this thread into another "Oh no, Elvis was ill he was only self-medicating, the poor baby" versus "Elvis took drugs. Live with it" type of thread ... !

Your English is good enough to get your point across. Don't worry.

i was just a little unsure about that i asked about the drugs, because in the movie "Walk the Line" Elvis is aksing Johnny Cash to try some pills, because he gets more energy..etc..etc..you know! and that was before the army? maybe i am wrong? ...but as you are saying..he used drugs...live with it, we can`t do anything with it now!
    Taking Care of Business
    Til we meet you again, may God bless you, Adios.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast