Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: About the Tupelo House

Loving elvis
    HI diane
    took me awhile to dig this out, so here you go
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails vernintup7uuyi2.jpg  

i live in a place called glastonbury, somerset, england

found this

hello just found a picture of the house in 1945 and a up to date one i know it dosent help much but you can see them together and i have emailed people asking for help on this matter i need to know the truth,

http://www.elvis-presley-biography.c...BirthPlace.htm

kev

Quote Originally Posted by kevis View Post
    hello just found a picture of the house in 1945 and a up to date one i know it dosent help much but you can see them together and i have emailed people asking for help on this matter i need to know the truth,

http://www.elvis-presley-biography.c...BirthPlace.htm

kev
    They probably just copied the whole design of the house Kev and are leading fans to believe that it is the original house and it is in the same location.
    This is really annoying me a lot. When I walked through that house last August, I did feel emotional as I felt that the Tupelo house had a big significance, and now to think that it isn't even his original house - this really annoys me. I feel they have taken something from me by having these lies. Does anyone out there think we will ever be told the truth.
    I don't mind what the women in the house say when you are visiting it, they are paid to say this, and they might not even know themselves that it isn't the original house. But when I go in there next week, I will be asking questions, as will all of the fans on the same tour who have heard about this now for the first time.
    ELVIS THE KING - TODAY TOMORROW & FOREVER

Jen, thank you so much - I love this picture! I wonder what Vernon thought of the copy of his old home?

Kev, thanks for the picture of the original home. It looks to me like they did a good job on the copy - except for sprucing it up inside and out.

Riley, thanks so much for the offer of the picture but now Jen has saved us the worry of posting it.

Diane

Gerianne, I want to thank you also for posting the link. We must have crossed in posting as you weren't there when I saw Kev's.

Have a great trip and I hope you can find out what happened to the original house while you're there.

Diane

i live in a place called glastonbury, somerset, england
    the link i posted above is from a elvis site i asked the guy if he had any info on the house and he wrote back asking me to buy his book looked good but i emailed him again and this is what he sent back......

The structure has been renovated as it was unstable and the house was relocated just a little further down the road, Lea

so according to this guy the house has definetly been moved so now i have emailed the birthplace direct to see if they have a answer,

kev

Quote Originally Posted by Diane View Post
    Gerianne, I want to thank you also for posting the link. We must have crossed in posting as you weren't there when I saw Kev's.

Have a great trip and I hope you can find out what happened to the original house while you're there.

Diane
    Diane, just to say that it was Kev who posted the link, not me. I just quoted Kev.

Quote Originally Posted by kevis View Post
    the link i posted above is from a elvis site i asked the guy if he had any info on the house and he wrote back asking me to buy his book looked good but i emailed him again and this is what he sent back......

The structure has been renovated as it was unstable and the house was relocated just a little further down the road, Lea

so according to this guy the house has definetly been moved so now i have emailed the birthplace direct to see if they have a answer,

kev
    Kev, I would be very interested to know if you get a reply from the birthplace and what they have to say about this.
    The fact that the house was relocated and because the structure of the house was unstable, this says to me that they probably wouldn't have been able to move it without it falling apart, and the house in Tupelo is completely new and nothing to do with Elvis at all

I thought it was common knowledge that the shack in Tupelo wasn't the original one Elvis was born in and that it wasn't in it's original location.

Some people knew about this Dave but most fans don't know. When people visit the birthplace they are told it is the original, so naturally they would believe this. This is what I believed all along myself. And as I said further up, my friends father who has been an Elvis fan for 50 years didn't even know this either, so I do think most people don't know about this at all.

Hi Dave...I want to ask you when did you find this out and how? I have read many books about Elvis seen documentaries and I have never been aware of this fact

Susan x
    Yesterday was the past and tomorrow is the future but today is the present ..thats why we call it the gift"

"Never listen to a liar it takes too long to find out the truth and my time is too precious"

"Without you I am only half of me"

Oh yes you did Gerianne I see that now but thanks anyway.

Diane

Quote Originally Posted by EP4MEUK View Post
    Hi Dave...I want to ask you when did you find this out and how? I have read many books about Elvis seen documentaries and I have never been aware of this fact

Susan x
    I'd like to know that as well.

We'd all like to know this Gary

Colonel Tom
    Quote Originally Posted by srj1967 View Post
    As I explained in my thread re my recent trip there, the magic has gone for me. The area across from the mansion is overloaded with crap souvenirs - there is really nothing interesting available.

The tours are now impersonal (ie those stupid audio things you have to press to hear commentary) rather than a guide taking the time to explain things; the general approach from EPE / Sillerman etc is, IMO, now more about marketing rather than maintaining the spirit of the man or his music.

As I have said, Graceland will slowly be turned into Disneyland II. I have been twice now - for my 21st and 40th birthdays - and that will do me until I drop off the twig.

The general atmosphere there is no longer pleasant, at least not to me. It used to feel like a former home, now it just feels like an "attraction". In some respects, I felt like I was visiting a theme park, and the new ideas for the Graceland expansion will only make that feeling increase, IMO. Yes, the area certainly needs to be cleaned up, but a new luxury hotel? Not necessary.

It's difficult to explain, but that's how it was for me this past June.

Hi ! I totally agree with your opinion ! I've seen the House in January 1995, August 1997 and August 2002. And the last time, I decided not to, come back for a while because I felt like "the magic" had been lost on the way, most certainly because of EPE who is turning the thing into a Disneyland for Elvis fans !

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12