Page 1 of 10 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Elvis in his Coffin

Elvis in his Coffin

When Elvis died,his body was viewed to the public,but where in the house was his coffin standing?
    I hope someone know the anwser
    I'd like to go to Graceland
    Memphis,Tennessee

If I remember right from Nancy Rooks book Inside Graceland , It was either in the Living room to the right of the front entry way, or the dining room to the left. They removed furniture to let the body lie in state.

You are right JDD, in the living room and music room
    Without a song,the day would never end.
    Without a song,a man ain t got a friend.
    Without a song,the road would never bend,
    so I keep singing a song. Elvis Presley

Here are some pictures I came across on FECC regarding where the coffin was prolly placed in the mansion....

The picture that is "colorized" was done by the person who posted the thread on FECC 'bout this particular subject...I think they did a pretty danged good job, myself!!

Below are the photos:

I know some won't like it, but I thought that was pretty interesting Tony. That is where I thought it was based on the book .

Quote Originally Posted by JDD View Post
    I know some won't like it, but I thought that was pretty interesting Tony. That is where I thought it was based on the book .

Oh...and the main reason that Elvis looks so young is because the family wanted him to look that way....and I believe that the Memphis Funeral Home succeeded in doing the job. From the looks of things, they did really good work on Elvis.

I finally located a copy of the book, "The King Is Dead", by Robert R. Holton which details the events surrounding Elvis's funeral as told to Mr. Holton by Robert Kendall who was Elvis's funeral director. I found a copy on Amazon....I should be receiving it within a few weeks.
    Last edited by Tony Trout; 02-18-2007 at 06:04 PM.

re

Thank you for you replies
    Especially from you Tony
    thank you very much
    What you said about he looks so young,is the one thing i was suprised of...
    i always tought how could he look so young
    How did they make him so young???
    Memphis,Tennessee

Quote Originally Posted by elvis himselvis View Post
    Thank you for you replies
    Especially from you Tony
    thank you very much
    What you said about he looks so young,is the one thing i was suprised of...
    i always tought how could he look so young
    How did they make him so young???

I don't know how they did it but I was told by a friend of mine that spoke to one of the people who embalmed Elvis and who also saw the autopsy photos (which were pretty rough and there was a team of four people who embalmed Elvis) that the family (presumably Vernon) wanted Elvis to look like he did back in the 1950s....and considering what they had to work with I think they did a tremendous and respectful job of making Elvis look young again.

Thanks for posting the pix's Tony, they are interesting. Dovey
    Get Him, get him~~Hot D*** ~~ he's a Squirrel!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PI7WiBUN_Bw

Awkward subject to bring up , and still makes me feel strange when i see the pics .... but well handled.
    I guess cos he looked too young, thats where the conspiracy theorys began ....

Quote Originally Posted by dennyelvis View Post
    Awkward subject to bring up , and still makes me feel strange when i see the pics .... but well handled.
    I guess cos he looked too young, thats where the conspiracy theorys began ....

The way he looked (being so young looking) and his hairline...the nose...the eyebrows...the soft hands....these things were exactly how and why the conspiracy theories began...I'm sure there are things about Elvis's death and the events surrounding it that we'll never know about...the sad fact is that (in a physical sense) Elvis is no longer with us here on Earth...but as long as we keep the memories of him and the music he left us alive in our hearts he'll truly never be gone from us...I like a quote that Colonel Parker apparently made after the death of Elvis:

"Elvis didn't die...just his body is gone"....

Think about it....
    Last edited by Tony Trout; 02-19-2007 at 05:55 AM.

re

i think he looks very peaceful
    Does anybody ever have seen the autopsy photo's?
    Memphis,Tennessee

Heartbreak Hotel, Room 11 Albert's Avatar
    I believe I read somewhere that Vernon received the copies and original films afterwards and that he destroyed them (fortunately!).

From that picture I can hardly see if Elvis looked good or bad. Dead people rarely look the same as they did a few days earlier, because the muscles in the face (and all other muscles) are strained. Also the body dehydrades (I'll look up the word and correct the spelling later), so dead people look less heavy.
    ‎"A year from now, you'll wish you had started today"

Follow TCB-World on Twitter for website updates and Elvisnews: http://twitter.com/tcbworldcom

Coffin

I have stood over my mother's body in her coffin, and she looked about 20 years younger. It was unnatural, although the funeral people did a good job. Most funeral parlours ask if you want a more natural look or something a bit younger, but everyone looks unnatural in death.

Her body was also "sweating", which was just moisture settling on the body after being in the freezer for days. When people saw Elvis "sweating" in his coffin, it gave fuel to the stupid rumours about him either being alive or substituted with a wax dummy ...

This is just one of the many reasons why I have specified to be cremated ASAP after death, and I will have no funeral or viewing of my body.

I always found the tradition (primarily in Europe and the southern US) of having open caskets for viewing rather undignified and more than a little creepy.

Quote Originally Posted by elvis himselvis View Post
    i think he looks very peaceful
    Does anybody ever have seen the autopsy photo's?

According to my friend (who did see the autopy photos) they are very gruesome and not at all pretty (of course how can autopsy photos not be gruesome?)....I pray that they never see the light of day....according to him they had to put all kinds of stuff on Elvis to make him look flesh-colored again because he had laid on his face for so long...

I will agree that Elvis looks very peaceful lying there...

I wonder if there is a real color photo of Elvis in his coffin anywhere? I heard a rumor that there is....but I've never seen one....
    Last edited by Tony Trout; 02-19-2007 at 06:19 AM.

Autopsy

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Trout View Post
    I pray that they never see the light of day...

Personally, I'd have no qualms about seeing the autopsy photos. JFK's, Marilyn Monroe's and other stars' autopsy photos are out there if you want to search for them. I'd find them quite fascinating, but that's just me.

The only problem would be if Lisa and the family saw them by accident.

I don't think it looks like Elvis at all. My mother looked like she always did when she died {at 56} . It would be hard to believe Vernon wanted him to look different. Wait to read the book you ordered Tony.

Here's a clipping from someone that could know about that picture .

Thank you for the pics Tony, Elvis does look at peace.....Diane

re

The people didn't get inside Graceland to look at Elvis right?
    Memphis,Tennessee

Quote Originally Posted by ajr View Post
    I don't think it looks like Elvis at all. My mother looked like she always did when she died {at 56} . It would be hard to believe Vernon wanted him to look different. Wait to read the book you ordered Tony.

Here's a clipping from someone that could know about that picture .

I never thought the picture on the Inquirer looked right. It does have a funny drawn quality to it. If this guy is telling the truth it explains that.
    I heard that the reason many thought it was a dummy in the coffin was because the face looked "waxy"

Page 1 of 10 12345678 ... LastLast