Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Upstairs at Graceland revealed...

Tony, all I was saying is that enablers are part of an addicts' problem and share the guilt and consequences. Elvis certainly had a lot of them around. If that's wearing rose coloured glasses then I'm wearing a mighty big pair.

Diane

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Trout View Post
    You're right on the $$$ here. Elvis made a distinction between himself and a "junkie"...a "junkie" mainlines but Elvis thought it was ok because he always had someone else give him the drugs--but he was still an addict either way you look at it. But Elvis thought the drugs he took were ok because they were prescription but as the 1970s wore on Elvis did, in fact, get into harder medications like Dilaudid (synthetic morphine), liquid cocaine, and especially "downers" or sedatives and uppers and Demerol...nobody needs that kind of stuff except advanced cancer patients (and please don't get me started on that--Elvis did not have cancer).

We also have to remember that Dr. Nick also was accused of over-prescribing drugs to another famous patient of his, Jerry Lee Lewis.

Again, you're right on the money (and I corrected your quote by Dr. Nick which is, in fact, found in the book, "Elvis Aaron Presley-Relevations From The Memphis Mafia"...by 1972-1973 Elvis had become severely addicted to what he was taking...and it eventually wound up costing him his life.

No offense, but you need to remove your rose-colored glasses. Elvis wasn't perfect.

This is true...especially the part about the B-12 shots. Right before the "Aloha" show, Elvis had asked James Caughley to inject him with B-12 mixed with amphetamines before going onstage.

As I said in my original post DR. Nick claims he did not add narcotics to the B-12 shots. As far as the Aloha show claim-never heard it before.
    I don't think everyone looks at Elvis with rose colored glasses, but that does not mean we do not seek other possible answers to some of the claims which are made. I have shown other answers to several claims here before, they tend to be ignored by those who just don't want any answer except their accepted one. Thats fine by me its the right of everyone here to decide what answers they accept or discount.
    As far as the term "junkie" Right after Elvis died Red and Sonny West and Steve Dunleavy were on Geraldos show or Good MOrning America-can't remember which. They were defending their book-Dunleavy called Elvis a junkie. Both Wests did not like him calling Elvis a junkie-they had never described him in that way to him. If I recall correctly they never appeared with Dunleavy again.
    I have said this once before-I have had druggies cousins in my family for a few years. When they got really bad they did not work, they flopped wherever they could. They lost interest in everything but being high. The closest thing they did to work was they stole or begged to get drugs. One sold pot to raise money for his own habit. They did not read books, or watch movies, their weight dropped, they only came around me to try to get a handout. They did not listen to much music let alone make it. Their sole mission was to score the next drug. One of them is no longer with us. The others mom commited him to a rehab after he was caught trying to break into a neighbors home. They were junkies in my book. IMO Others don't see it like that its fine by me. I've stated my opinion (which is backed up by scientific research in many instances concerning inherited traits) that their are reasons people get hooked easily and others don't. If some don't believe it okay-but it is a possiblity in Elvis's case as in anyone else's. Can I prove it-nope. But I'm willing to consider it is a pretty good possiblity.
    Last edited by KPM; 08-26-2007 at 01:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by KPM View Post
    As I said in my original post DR. Nick claims he did not add narcotics to the B-12 shots. As far as the Aloha show claim-never heard it before.
    I don't think everyone looks at Elvis with rose colored glasses, but that does not mean we do not seek other possible answers to some of the claims which are made. I have shown other answers to several claims here before, they tend to be ignored by those who just don't want any answer except their accepted one. Thats fine by me its the right of everyone here to decide what answers they accept or discount.
    As far as the term "junkie" Right after Elvis died Red and Sonny West and Steve Dunleavy were on Geraldos show or Good MOrning America-can't remember which. They were defending their book-Dunleavy called Elvis a junkie. Both Wests did not like him calling Elvis a junkie-they had never described him in that way to him. If I recall correctly they never appeared with Dunleavy again.
    I have said this once before-I have had druggies cousins in my family for a few years. When they got really bad they did not work, they flopped wherever they could. They lost interest in everything but being high. The closest thing they did to work was they stole or begged to get drugs. One sold pot to raise money for his own habit. They did not read books, or watch movies, their weight dropped, they only came around me to try to get a handout. They did not listen to much music let alone make it. Their sole mission was to score the next drug. One of them is no longer with us. The others mom commited him to a rehab after he was caught trying to break into a neighbors home. They were junkies in my book. IMO Others don't see it like that its fine by me. I've stated my opinion (which is backed up by scientific research in many instances concerning inherited traits) that their are reasons people get hooked easily and others don't. If some don't believe it okay-but it is a possiblity in Elvis's case as in anyone else's. Can I prove it-nope. But I'm willing to consider it is a pretty good possiblity.
    I think we all have family members who fall prey to this kind of thing...it's sad, but it happens. I agree with you...

Quote Originally Posted by Diane View Post
    Tony, all I was saying is that enablers are part of an addicts' problem and share the guilt and consequences. Elvis certainly had a lot of them around. If that's wearing rose coloured glasses then I'm wearing a mighty big pair.

Diane
    Well Diane...guess mine are pretty big too then, because I think you have it pegged!

Daddy, I miss you more every day. You will always be my hero..

TCB Mafia
    Quote Originally Posted by The King's Queen View Post
    I think we all have family members who fall prey to this kind of thing...it's sad, but it happens. I agree with you...

Well Diane...guess mine are pretty big too then, because I think you have it pegged!

Well said Diane and Queenie.

Hugs,
    Kimmi

Quote Originally Posted by Elvistcbkirch View Post
    Dear Cadillac King: Elvis was not a drug-addict in terms we usually know, i agree. But he was a junkie. He just got his drugs on prescriptions. Sometimes he let others inject him, and sometimes he used his celebrity-status to force doctors to let him have access to their medicin-drawyers. If you read 'Elvis & The Memphis' with Lamar Fike, Billy Smith and Mart? Lacker, you wil l realise, that Elvis was lucky to reach 42. And I'm not telling this to disgrace his reputation. Its just a fact. Best regards
    I'm agree with you except Junkie term is only for heavy street drugs addiction like heroine.
    junkie term is not fit for Elvis's state.

We'll never know if he could not reach the prescriptions drugs he may can be junkie with a little help from stepbrothers!

He was more hard drug-addicted then we knew and also he was sometimes pusher-man.

his big ego keep away him being junkie till his early dead...

Screenshots from This Is Elvis

Dear everybody: Like cadillac King I would like to shear some screenshots from the 'death-scene' from This Is Elvis, because this was very important to me, when I researched my graphic. I have lightened and sharpened the stills in Photoshop and added some labels. And actually some things in the picture came up. Like the jesus-statue beside the bed. Have a look at them. Notice that you see the shelves and ceiling in a mirror in the bedroom. They are pretty interesting. By the way: The white drawers you get a glipse of back behind in the bathroom, is the one wich is on exhibition in Graceland. On top of it, is the porcelain-tiger wich earler stood up on his RCA-television set in the bedroom. Best regards. Martin
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails bathroom-entrance.gif   bedroom with bed.jpg   bedroom-entrance.gif  

Last edited by Elvistcbkirch; 08-27-2007 at 12:17 PM.

Another screenshot

Here you can see the tiger. Best regards, Martin
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails bathroom-with-tiger-and-dra.jpg  

Thanks, for posting those pics along with the details, Martin!

franny

Thank you for the great pictures Martin. I'm glad he still had the tiger!

Diane

Yes Martin, thank you!

Is this the tiger you mention Martin? This is currently on display in Graceland.[IMG][/IMG]

Tiger on tv

Dear Jon. Yes, it is. Both the tiger and drawer. You can see the tiger on Jeanny Lemays picture here. Best regards, Martin
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails TV-with-tiger.jpg  

yes it is, and the dresser too I think.

do you guys ever think of the difference in decorating tastes from the 60's & 70's compared to today? I look at his stuff and sometimes chuckle....but if he were alive today I'm sure his taste would have become updated with the times....just like our hairstyles and clothing......god love him.

Yup ksimms2, I agree with you, some of the fashions and decorating styles in the 60's and 70's could be pretty outrageous but then the sterile boring styles of the 50's weren't much better in their way.

I think too that Elvis would have changed his decor as time went on. It would have been fun to see what he would have come up with next. My taste runs with the Victorian era but with much less clutter and a lot more light.....romantic, airy and soft.

Still love that funky Jungle Room though.

Diane

elvismusiccat1

There is an "Elvis For Everyone." My tribute to Elvis and all his admirers.

Greetings Friends: I hope everyone has enjoyed this summer season. It was very , very hot in my part of the world. I can imagine several people nodding their heads in agreement with my observations of the weather. Pass along the cool bottled water. And thankyou to the individual whom first coined the phrase, "air conditioning."

Returning to the topic of our man, Elvis.

I have enjoyed the thread of discussion posted here regarding August 16, 1977 and everything that has been said.

The discussion has opened the flood gates of memories - I celebrated my 14th birthday on June 7, 1977 and of course, that hot and humid August of 1977 I was old enough and can vividly remember reading about Elvis, listening to his music. where does one begin to sort all the information?

I am sure there are many members here that have absorbed so much information about Elvis? How does one separate the "wheat from the chaff" as the old saying implies.

Hmmm. My two-cent offering is this: after all these years, I don't bother to make the slightest effort to understand it all.

I do not have a medical background, I am not an English Literary Professor, singer, dancer, musician - none of those - historian. None of those.

But, somewhere in all the biological makings of this organ I call a heart that 14 year old lingers there, somewhere. I recall sitting in awe on Sunday, October 3, 1977 when CBS aired Elvis final tv special. Yes, I heard and read all the stories about August 16, and all.

I was not placing Elvis on a pedestal. I just tuned into something that Elvis had to offer. In those days, Elvis was another singer, sure a very special singer, whom offered something that I seem to naturally enjoy (like millions did).

Everytime I read an anecdote from a fan, see a picture of Elvis, his famous Graceland Mansion, that 14 year old pays the admission price and takes that journey to that time and place - I don't know exactly why, or what place, but, we all know that feeling when we hear Elvis sing, or watch his video, or enjoy whatever it is.

That's Elvis to me. I don't know why I enjoyed Elvis back in 1977 and I don't know why I do now. I just do and I am grateful that Elvis just did his thing for as long as he did.

I hope you all enjoyed a great summer (and I am willing to bet my 14 year old spirit shared the trip to Memphis with many of you)

Best wishes to all, and thanks for the privilege of sharing my thoughts,
    Last edited by elvismusiccat1; 08-27-2007 at 10:12 PM. Reason: monkey fingers typing away on this keyboard X 2

Thank you Elvismusiccat1 for sharing your beautiful memories and thoughts with us.

Diane

Quote Originally Posted by elvismusiccat1 View Post
    Greetings Friends: I hope everyone has enjoyed this summer season. It was very , very hot in my part of the world. I can imagine several people nodding their heads in agreement with my observations of the weather. Pass along the cool bottled water. And thankyou to the individual whom first coined the phrase, "air conditioning."

Returning to the topic of our man, Elvis.

I have enjoyed the thread of discussion posted here regarding August 16, 1977 and everything that has been said.

The discussion has opened the flood gates of memories - I celebrated my 14th birthday on June 7, 1977 and of course, that hot and humid August of 1977 I was old enough and can vividly remember reading about Elvis, listening to his music. where does one begin to sort all the information?

I am sure there are many members here that have absorbed so much information about Elvis? How does one separate the "wheat from the chaff" as the old saying implies.

Hmmm. My two-cent offering is this: after all these years, I don't bother to make the slightest effort to understand it all.

I do not have a medical background, I am not an English Literary Professor, singer, dancer, musician - none of those - historian. None of those.

But, somewhere in all the biological makings of this organ I call a heart that 14 year old lingers there, somewhere. I recall sitting in awe on Sunday, October 3, 1977 when CBS aired Elvis final tv special. Yes, I heard and read all the stories about August 16, and all.

I was not placing Elvis on a pedestal. I just tuned into something that Elvis had to offer. In those days, Elvis was another singer, sure a very special singer, whom offered something that I seem to naturally enjoy (like millions did).

Everytime I read an anecdote from a fan, see a picture of Elvis, his famous Graceland Mansion, that 14 year old pays the admission price and takes that journey to that time and place - I don't know exactly why, or what place, but, we all know that feeling when we hear Elvis sing, or watch his video, or enjoy whatever it is.

That's Elvis to me. I don't know why I enjoyed Elvis back in 1977 and I don't know why I do now. I just do and I am grateful that Elvis just did his thing for as long as he did.

I hope you all enjoyed a great summer (and I am willing to bet my 14 year old spirit shared the trip to Memphis with many of you)

Lovely statement...thank you!

Daddy, I miss you more every day. You will always be my hero..

TCB Mafia
    Quote Originally Posted by elvismusiccat1 View Post
    Greetings Friends:

Thank you for sharing your thoughts, and welcome!

Kim

very well put "elvismusiccat1" as I have said before, regardless of how he died, how he lived, etc. I truly love and admire his work and him. So to me, his drug problem, his womanizing, etc. is not what makes him, HIM. Get what I mean? It's the beautiful lyrics he sings and there is only one voice like his.....and it's just amazing.