Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: A question for the experts-Album covers

A question for the experts-Album covers

This is a challenge to see just how much those who call themselves experts on EP actually know. This segment is called Album Covers. I know the answer because I was there and have seen the original copy of the full picture. The question is.....

At what show and date was the cover of Elvis In Concert CBS TV Special taken from?

Good Luck

I think that was taken in Hunstville in June 75.I wish Elvis looked that good for the CBS special.
    Jak

We have a winner! That is correct. Great job Jak. Many think it's from Pittsburgh December 31, 1976. But as you and I and now everyone else knows, it's not. It was taken on June 1, 1975 at the 8:30 PM show at the Von Braun Civic Center arena (below).

This is the exterior as exactly how EP saw the arena as he arrived from the Huntsville Hilton hotel across the street.

This is the interior of the arena. EP's stage was in front and center just in front of that big center door. The floor seats were right where the ice is.

If you look at the facial features carefully it's pretty easy to tell the difference from the 76 show.If Im not mistaken it was probably taken by Bonja.I believe he took every live shot used on the RCA lp's.The one exception could be the On Stage lp.Im not sure about that one.
    Jak

Quote Originally Posted by EP75 View Post
    We have a winner! That is correct.
    Doncha think you should have given more time for other people to Answer that simple question EP75 ?

Great job Jak.
    Yes, great job Jak.

Many think it's from Pittsburgh December 31, 1976.
    Just exactly who is "many" that you are reffering to EP75 ?

A casual fan or a child off the street ?

Most Elvis fans I know already know the differnce and answer to that novice query ...

Ohh..Thank you, i love to see Concert buildings from the 70`s. do you have more questions?
    Taking Care of Business
    Til we meet you again, may God bless you, Adios.

By the way, the picture on the cover of the "In Concert" album is modified. They have "reworked" the chin and parts of the cheek bones to make him appear fresh. The same happened to one of the pictures inside and the picture on the back.

If you look at the difference between how Elvis looked between the new years concert and the CBS special, it was obvious that something was wrong.

I am also wondering where the picture on the cover of "Aloha from Hawaii" is taken, anybody know ?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Elvis - 42 - front.jpg  
    Taking Care of Business

Quote Originally Posted by toffe View Post
    I am also wondering where the picture on the cover of "Aloha from Hawaii" is taken, anybody know ?
    I read somewhere years ago that it was from San Antonio on April 18th, 1972.

Anyone?
    Last edited by srj1967; 06-10-2007 at 04:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Leroy View Post
    By the way, the picture on the cover of the "In Concert" album is modified. They have "reworked" the chin and parts of the cheek bones to make him appear fresh. The same happened to one of the pictures inside and the picture on the back.
    Why am I not surprised ?
    The world seems to have " modified" & "reworked" Elvis.

Quote Originally Posted by srj1967 View Post
    I read somewhere years ago that it was from San Antonio on April 18th, 1972.

Anyone?
    Hmm..Okei, this show was filmed for "On Tour" if i am right?
    Taking Care of Business

Quote Originally Posted by toffe View Post
    Hmm..Okei, this show was filmed for "On Tour" if i am right?
    It was one of the shows filmed for EOT, yes.

Quote Originally Posted by srj1967 View Post
    It was one of the shows filmed for EOT, yes.
    Okei
    Taking Care of Business

re

i heard that Elvis didn't liked the photo because his hair was too long and he tought he looked like a hippie
    I'd like to go to Graceland
    Memphis,Tennessee

Too Much Monkey Business Jumpsuit Junkie's Avatar
    This is a challenge to see just how much those who call themselves experts on EP actually know. This segment is called Album Covers. I know the answer because I was there and have seen the original copy of the full picture. The question is.....

At what show and date was the cover of Elvis In Concert CBS TV Special taken from?

Good Luck

It is indeed June 1st 1975, I'm certain that the photo's were taken by George Hill?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hunttsville June 1st 1975 (1).jpg   Hunttsville June 1st 1975 (2).jpg   Hunttsville June 1st 1975 (3).jpg  

Hunttsville June 1st 1975 (4).jpg   Hunttsville June 1st 1975 (5).jpg   Hunttsville June 1st 1975 (6).jpg  

This photo was never enhanced in any way shape or form. That is completely untrue. If anything it was darkened but never was his face "reworked" for the LP cover. In fact, the last time EP looked healthy was that June 1975 tour. After that was the beginning of the end. And not being biased but they could not have picked a better shot for the final LP.

I remember seeing that cover of Elvis In Concert as a kid and thinking "wow, he looks so young in that picture". In fact all four photos included were some of the best of him live on stage from 1972 (back cover) and the inserted 1974 pictures. What's a shame is hearing and seeing EP from these shows recorded for the album. You hear him and you think of those pictures used. But when you see him performing those shows you look at him then and then glance at those pictures and it's a whole different person.

EP never saw the cover or knew about it because the LP didn't become an idea until AFTER his death. It was released as a last memento to his life that was known to exist and it was rush released following the CBS TV special in October, two months after his death. So the rumor of him seeing it and commenting on it would also be inaccurate.

The photo used for the Aloha From Hawaii LP cover was indeed San Antonio, TX April 1972. And to be more specific, I do believe he was performing Proud Mary during that shot. that was when he went into the arm spin for the song break.

Okei, thanks for all info EP75
    Taking Care of Business

re

Like EP75 said,i think this was on of the last times Elvis looked great...he did looked great in other moments,but this was the true Elvis when he wasn't looking ill due to those pills and ilness
    I'd like to go to Graceland
    Memphis,Tennessee

This photo was never enhanced in any way shape or form. That is completely untrue. If anything it was darkened but never was his face "reworked" for the LP cover. In fact, the last time EP looked healthy was that June 1975 tour. After that was the beginning of the end. And not being biased but they could not have picked a better shot for the final LP.

I remember seeing that cover of Elvis In Concert as a kid and thinking "wow, he looks so young in that picture". In fact all four photos included were some of the best of him live on stage from 1972 (back cover) and the inserted 1974 pictures. What's a shame is hearing and seeing EP from these shows recorded for the album. You hear him and you think of those pictures used. But when you see him performing those shows you look at him then and then glance at those pictures and it's a whole different person.

EP never saw the cover or knew about it because the LP didn't become an idea until AFTER his death. It was released as a last memento to his life that was known to exist and it was rush released following the CBS TV special in October, two months after his death. So the rumor of him seeing it and commenting on it would also be inaccurate.

The photo used for the Aloha From Hawaii LP cover was indeed San Antonio, TX April 1972. And to be more specific, I do believe he was performing Proud Mary during that shot. that was when he went into the arm spin for the song break.
    I sorry to burst your bubble but the picture was enhanced. Look at the below and see for yourself. They have taken away a big part of the throat area. The picture has been taken only a moment before or after the album picture. See and compare and stop dreamin'. I also have reason to believe that a large part of his face doesn't even belong in 1975. Especially the area around his eyes looks too fresh. They could have found another picture to donate to this one. The album picture reminds me very much of a 1969 picture which I have posted here too. I think it's save to say there is more than a slight resemblance here.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Black Phoenix 2.jpg   In Concert.jpg   697rmp.jpg  

Last edited by Leroy; 06-11-2007 at 06:10 AM.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast