Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: According to Joe,did Elvis like any part's of the CBS Special(From straight up vol.1)

Too Much Monkey Business Jumpsuit Junkie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jak View Post
    Sean Shaver once stated that if you didnt see Elvis perform in 1971 or before,you never had the chance to see the real Elvis.
    Jak
    I agree, because even if Elvis had survived 1977 I very much doubt he would have recaptured the raw power of 1969-71

Something happened to EP mentally post 1972. He was a different person altogether. He stopped mingling and associating with other stars as he would throughout his career. After 1972, he was never the same again.

Quote Originally Posted by EP75 View Post
    Something happened to EP mentally post 1972. He was a different person altogether. He stopped mingling and associating with other stars as he would throughout his career. After 1972, he was never the same again.
    Perhaps Elvis viewed himself differently after his divorce or thought others would view him differently?

JJ

Quote Originally Posted by Jumpsuit Junkie View Post
    Perhaps Elvis viewed himself differently after his divorce or thought others would view him differently?

JJ
    He may have felt the idea that "I failed" and he may have thought others would see him as less a man because Priscilla left him for another man. Superstars are no different than others when a marriage collapses. Regardless of who did what to whom you have to feel -we blew it. Especially if you truely loved that person. He had to face the fans and the magazine covers telling the world the details of a failure in his life. So he probably did view himself differently and worried how everyone else saw him.

Sean Shaver once stated that if you didnt see Elvis perform in 1971 or before,you never had the chance to see the real Elvis.
    Jak
    Sean is as good with description with the written word as he was with the camera. IMO his statement is on the mark (and Sean saw A LOT of ELVIS performances!!!) IMO... ELVIS... though always AWESOME to see in person... was at his highest peek in that particular time period.

~Carole~

I will never forget you Rosanne.
    R.I.P. 4-27-59~7-22-09

Quote Originally Posted by KPM View Post
    He may have felt the idea that "I failed" and he may have thought others would see him as less a man because Priscilla left him for another man. Superstars are no different than others when a marriage collapses. Regardless of who did what to whom you have to feel -we blew it. Especially if you truely loved that person. He had to face the fans and the magazine covers telling the world the details of a failure in his life. So he probably did view himself differently and worried how everyone else saw him.
    Superstars ego's are probably worse that the average joe!

Superstars ego's are probably worse that the average joe!
    Especially at the level of stardom Elvis occupied. His career was going as well or better than the 50s, he was getting more and more respect by critics and younger people who had trashed his movie career years and then comes the divorce. Crash.

The one common denominator in EP's life was his family. For any man that's been through a divorce and loses custody of their children, it's almost unbearable. He was never able to get over the loss of his nucleus that was Priscilla and Lisa Marie.

Quote Originally Posted by KPM View Post
    Especially at the level of stardom Elvis occupied. His career was going as well or better than the 50s, he was getting more and more respect by critics and younger people who had trashed his movie career years and then comes the divorce. Crash.
    Good Point

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Car View Post
    The one common denominator in EP's life was his family. For any man that's been through a divorce and loses custody of their children, it's almost unbearable. He was never able to get over the loss of his nucleus that was Priscilla and Lisa Marie.
    You might not want to be with someone, but once you lose it, you want it back.......

You might not want to be with someone, but once you lose it, you want it back.......
    Exactly, after 72....and the heartbreak...... came the reflective, sad, emotional downward spiral.
    It happened before our eyes.

I will never forget you Rosanne.
    R.I.P. 4-27-59~7-22-09

Re: According to Joe,did Elvis like any part's of the CBS Special(From straight up vo

I dont think it was only for personal reasons alone he changed after 72 . I think he came to realize he had just traded Hollywood for Vegas , another contractual prison and that his comeback had been for nothing . Even the col rediculous publishing deals meant he wasnt getting the best material . I think Elvis lost interest and became bored of his career .

Re: According to Joe,did Elvis like any part's of the CBS Special(From straight up vo

Jak
    I would have to agree according to videos I've seen but we did see him in '72 and '73 and he was still pretty strong then.

I'm sorry but despite some outstanding songs the whole CBS Special is very hard for me to watch, yes I would like to see a Deluxe DVD Edition but can see why EPE are reluctant to, given Elvis' appearance.

Put quite simply this is not Elvis' finest hour. Elvis has suffered from an Image problem that primarily came from 1976/77 releasing an official DVD even today will only contribute to this Image failure.

If Elvis had survived Aug 77 I don't think this would have been the Image he would have wanted to perpetuate, I think that the CBS Special was a knee-jerk response to the book "Elvis What Happened" and clearly gave credence to that sensationalist claptrap.

Before there is a barrage of "Elvis was Ill", "Unchained Melody was awesome" & "How Great Thou Art was powerful" is levied at me! I know, I am a fan. The fact is if you were to introduce a fan to Elvis..... this would not be your first port of call and believe that even Elvis would pick something like the 68 Special before CBS.
    The first time i was introduced to elvis was the CBS special, I Became a 1977 Fan from that moment, For the Weaker and The Most Powerful performances. Only after 1977 i check out the other stuff yet every month i pop in a bootleg version of the CBS concerts and play the hell out of them

After all these years, should we still believe Mr. Esposito? He was never able to tell us what had happened on August 16 ..
    Last edited by Sonny; 04-02-2012 at 10:23 AM.

In fairness to Esposito he has several times explained his original version of untruths and basically in a nutshell he has said that he was still operating in the protecting Elvis and his image mode. Since not many fans knew in 77 Elvis shared beds with his dates or girlfriends, the prescription meds problems, the place of death etc........the Memphis Mafia had worked for years to keep information that might be food for the tabloids or media off the radar screen.......Joe was still in that mode on 8-16-77 and for many years after.
    Read all the early books after Elvis died, then read later books by the same people-totally differing perspectives on what should or should not be said.
    Work in Progress!

Should we still believe to what Joe E said ? yes, but as Ken said ..Joe E still in the mode of protecting Elvis image, Elvis was all around good in his books, thats why after the Bodyguard book released, Joe E refused to ever speak to Red neither Sonny West . So far as what really happened on that day on August 16th 1977, I would think it will be hard for any one to really tell what was going on , .. for those who knew Elvis for years and years, spent their nights and days with him on the roads, on vacations and shared many memories with him , i think better not revealing too much about his death, .. its personal, something they keep like Elvis was their family member.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12