Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Microphones?

Quote Originally Posted by Leroy View Post
    The only way to hear me live AJR is on PalTalk. There are several rooms there. I'm mostly in the Karaoke/Singing department in the rooms Goodtimes Karaoke Respect Studio or Tx AnGels International Cafe or Universal Karaoke All Singers Room.
    I do hope to see you there one day.
    Thanks, babe.......
    Is PLM still hanging out there ??
    If so, I'd rather not .

However, I just might venture in there one of these days.....
    To stay "on topic" , which microphone might you be using ??

The name PLM doesn't ring a bell to me.
    The microphone I use is an oldie. It must be at least 25 years old. It runs on a battery. It's a Prefer OC-500. But the sound is incredible.
    IF it's the one you used when you posted on EC....then I'd say "the sound is definitly incredible."

Perhaps PLM has been "taken out" . , as he needed to be.
    He "thought he was another EP" .....but, dissed him & others constantly.
    Not a nice person at all !!
    I'll see if I can find my way in......& bring others.

Quote Originally Posted by Erhan View Post
    Worner Bros spys at work I'm afraid!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=diY3MyhXq98
    Found a "new" clip, Erhan, hope you get to watch this one. It's one of my favorites of Elvis, terrific sense of humor!

Backstage Pass
    Great job Leroy! What about microphones after 1974?

Quote Originally Posted by ajr View Post
    If Leroy doesn't know, it's not worth asking in this venue.
    I've found his knowledge & dedication to learning these things amazing.
    I'm beginning to see that, I was just about to post, "wow Leroy you know everything!" but am agreeing with your post instead...lol.

Does anyone have a picture of the microphone he was using doing the aloha?
    I saw it ones and it had also his name writing on it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Jumpsuits5.JPG  
    [Royalties come and go....... But there is only one man we always call THE KING

What about the microphones Elvis used in 1971? I seen alot of photos of him in that year, especaily from Aug. 1971 and he is using a different kind of mic. Does anyone know which one that is?????????

Joe
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails cxvxcvd.jpg  
    Last edited by jb_1359; 11-22-2007 at 02:07 AM.
    Ain't it funny how time slips away?

Fantastic info, you did a great job. Thanks for sharing LEROY

Thanks alot for the info Leroy!! But do you know why he chose to use that mic in those months??? Beacase he never used it again on stage

Joe

so did he use the mic that he used in 1970 for the rest of his carrer???
    i see that one the most

Thanks alot leroy for all this info!!

your a big help!

Joe

LVISFAN

Elvis Mics

Leroy, you are indeed the man! I am a tribute artist and have already figured out that Elvis used the RE-15 for the most part, but until I found this site I had been racking my brain and searching the net to find out the mic he used in '76/'77. I suspected the CS mic...but wasn't sure until you listed it. Thanks...now I'm on a quest to find one. So far no luck on ebay.

Jerome

Welcome to the board, Lvisfan. I cannot for the life of me find a black/grey foam windscreen cover for my RE-15 and I'm actually wondering if my RE-15 is different from what Elvis used? I know that's a stupid question probably....the windscreens I've bought so far will not fit the microphone. If I had an RE-16, I'd bet that I wouldn't have any problem whatsoever because the windscreen on those mics look to be 'bout the same size as the very small black/grey foam windscreen that I currently have.

I'd like to use the windscreen without having to use electrical tape....

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Trout View Post
    Welcome to the board, Lvisfan. I cannot for the life of me find a black/grey foam windscreen cover for my RE-15 and I'm actually wondering if my RE-15 is different from what Elvis used? I know that's a stupid question probably....the windscreens I've bought so far will not fit the microphone. If I had an RE-16, I'd bet that I wouldn't have any problem whatsoever because the windscreen on those mics look to be 'bout the same size as the very small black/grey foam windscreen that I currently have.

I'd like to use the windscreen without having to use electrical tape....
    I got lucky on eBay, long before I managed to (again on eBay) get hold of an re-15, and bought a bag of mixed black windscreens that included some that fit the re-15 perfectly. It might be worth trying a search for nonspecific windscreens, or a mixture like I got, and go for it if the price is suitably low. In the meantime, you'll be 100% authentic Elvis with that electrical tape attached!

I'm a bit confused regarding mention of the windscreen for the re-16, because my understanding was that the re-16 was an re-15 with internal windscreen, with all attributes essentially the same as the 15. That's another mic I wouldn't mind getting if the price is right.

I am totally in love with my re-15. It's the best mic I've ever been near and is just perfect for my use, apart from the whole bonus of it being Elvis' most iconic '70s mic. The lack of proximity effect, and the general supernaturally-clean quality it provides vocals, is heaven. It'd have to be one of (if not THE) best vocal microphones ever made..at least, the best that was able to withstand the rigors of handheld use or the even greater rigors inflicted by the equipment-abusing Elvis Presley (I think you could just about hammer in nails with the re-15 and still have it work). Expensive condenser mics and the like may be more perfect (the RE-200 included, that JD and the boys seemed to often use), I grant, but that re-15 is a stellar workhorse. My other mics (a newer Electrovoice, the ND 767a, I think, and the classic Shure SM-57 with windscreen) basically haven't seen much use since I got this old re-15, and I can see why even battered units from the '60s and '70s are so sought after by musicians and command such good prices long after they were discontinued.
    I'm a roving roustabout...

Wow, this thread is really interesting! Thanks for the infos and the pics! I liked them!

I LOVE
    ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
    ♪ ♫♪ ♫♪ ♫♪ [̲̅̅E̲̅][̲̅̅L̲̅][̲̅̅V̲̅][̲̅̅I̲​̅][̲̅̅S̲̅] [̲̅̅P̲̅][̲̅̅R̲̅][̲̅̅E̲̅][̲̅̅S̲​̅][̲̅̅L̲̅[̲̅̅E̲̅][̲̅̅Y̲̅] ♫♪ ♫♪ ♫♪
    ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

My page on YouTube and on MyElvisWorld:
    http://www.youtube.com/cibetty, http://www.myelvisworld.com/cibetty

A few days back I have been able to get hold of a RE-15 too... Just waiting for it to be delivered. I'm gonna use it with any windscreen because I very much like the microphone as it is build.....
    Excellent! You'll love it. I found that it works better for me with the windscreen because the mic seems pretty sensitive to breath and popping. Either way, it's a great little piece of technology -- they really don't make 'em like that any more!
    I'm a roving roustabout...

Re: Microphones?

What about the microphones Elvis used in Comeback Special?

I was wondering if Elvis really had much concern for the mics he used when he recorded and toured or did he just use whatever was provided by the studios and by his sound engineer while touring?

Was his ear that sensitive to sound that he dictated what he wanted or did he leave these decisions to other professionals?
    "More people today should see him not simply as a performer, but as an artist with a great soul."

John Bakke, professor emeritus
    University of Memphis

Quote Originally Posted by ehollier View Post
    I was wondering if Elvis really had much concern for the mics he used when he recorded and toured or did he just use whatever was provided by the studios and by his sound engineer while touring?

Was his ear that sensitive to sound that he dictated what he wanted or did he leave these decisions to other professionals?
    Yeah, I'm wondering the same thing as well.

Elvis would simply use what was the best at that time. To get the best he highly relied on his sound engineer Bill Porter who was on the look out constantly to improve the sound. I the end it was Elvis who decide...
    Thanks for the information Leroy. You are just filled to the brim with information.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast