Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 30

Thread: Jumpsuit mistake from Graceland

  1. #1
    International Level srj1967's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    933

    Jumpsuit mistake from Graceland

    This is a page from the Jumpsuits All Access book from Graceland and EPE.

    You'd think these *****s would get at least the name of the suits right.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails JumpBook.jpg  

  2. #2
    International Level JDD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Rockford IL
    Posts
    828
    While its disappointing to find mistakes I've never bought a book on any subject that I didn't find some mistakes. All in all that looks like a great book to me. I doubt through glass you could take pictures that well yourself and thats what I'm picking the book up for, the photos.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    348
    That's the correct name of the jumpsuit..but I've never seen that belt b4

  4. #4
    With Elvis On Tour!!! Jungleroom76's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    The Empire State
    Posts
    9,609
    I've always known this jumpsuit to be called the KING OF SPADES suit...although I do recall this one also being referred to as the MEMPHIS GYSPY suit before...

    But I DIDN'T realize that the suit also had a cape with it...I've never seen any pictures of Elvis wearing this suit with the cape!!

    TCB!
    Mike


    TCB-World...OPEN for business!!!


  5. #5
    International Level srj1967's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    933

    .

    Quote Originally Posted by TCBnAflash View Post
    That's the correct name of the jumpsuit..but I've never seen that belt b4
    No, dude, it's not. The King of Spades is an entirely different suit altogether, although the Spades' design is based on the suit shown here.

    Yes, there was a cape made, but he never wore it, so the info at hand says.

  6. #6
    With Elvis On Tour!!! Jungleroom76's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    The Empire State
    Posts
    9,609


    WELL...I THINK I NEED TO HAVE MY CREDENTIALS AS AN ELVIS FAN TAKEN AWAY FROM ME...



    After reading srj1967's post, I went back up and took another look at the photo and...

    srj1967 is COMPLETELY RIGHT!!! This is NOT the KING OF SPADES suit!!! The KING OF SPADES suit has an embrodiered turquoise/gold design, while this suit has rhinestones on it!!

    Once I clicked on the photo that srj1967 posted and read the description and looked at the suit much closer, I realized that my original post was in error...

    Sorry for doubting you srj1967!!!

    TCB!
    Mike


    TCB-World...OPEN for business!!!


  7. #7
    International Level srj1967's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    933

    .

    Quote Originally Posted by Jungleroom76 View Post
    srj1967 is COMPLETELY RIGHT!!!
    See, if more people would live their lives with this wonderfully accurate statement as their guide, the world would be a much better place!

  8. #8
    International Level thehillbillycat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Byron, Georgia
    Posts
    785
    Yes, that is not the King of Spades suit it is the Memphis suit. But you need to know that those names are fan names for the suits. The suits need to be called by the original name.
    That is the Arabian Jumpsuit(I) first worn in 1973.

  9. #9
    TCB Mafia EP75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    1,060
    EP stopped wearing the capes in 1973. I believe his last show that he wore the capes to was in Atlanta in July 1973. But the poster above me is right. It's the Arabian suit. Not the Memphis Gypsy.

  10. #10
    International Level thehillbillycat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Byron, Georgia
    Posts
    785
    Quote Originally Posted by EP75 View Post
    EP stopped wearing the capes in 1973. I believe his last show that he wore the capes to was in Atlanta in July 1973. But the poster above me is right. It's the Arabian suit. Not the Memphis Gypsy.
    I believe he actaully stop wearing capes in 1974. But he only wore capes in 1974 off and on. He didn't wear them alot in that year as he did the pervious years.
    Getting back to the subject.......
    Their was two Arabian suits. The other is known as the King of Spades or Ace of Spades but its true name is Arabian Suit (II). The one in the photo is the first Arabian suit which is known as the Memphis Suit by the common name given by the fans. It got that name because he wore that suit during the 1974 Memphis show.
    Names like: Memphis Suit, King of Spades and so on are common names and not the desinger names. Designers names are like: Arabian, Eskimo Totem Pole, Egyptian, and so on.

    So Graceland needs to put the desingers name in big bold letters and under that should put the common name.

    As for the belt in the picture that is not the original belt. I have never seen that belt before. I will look through my photos again but I am 90% sure that Elvis never wore that belt. I could be wrong.

  11. #11
    TCB Mafia jak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    S.C. USA
    Posts
    2,125
    Quote Originally Posted by EP75 View Post
    EP stopped wearing the capes in 1973. I believe his last show that he wore the capes to was in Atlanta in July 1973. But the poster above me is right. It's the Arabian suit. Not the Memphis Gypsy.
    You are correct about the capes

  12. #12
    International Level srj1967's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    933

    .

    Quote Originally Posted by Elvislennon2004 View Post
    Yes, that is not the King of Spades suit it is the Memphis suit. But you need to know that those names are fan names for the suits. The suits need to be called by the original name.
    That is the Arabian Jumpsuit(I) first worn in 1973.
    We've been through all this before, and to some relatively heated argument. Although the suits supposedly have "designer" names, the fan names are more common (and, in most cases, a lot more descriptively accurate). The fan names have worked well for years, so this suit will always be known to be as the Memphis suit to me.

    As for the capes, he wore the last one in Atlanta in July '73; he never wore capes after that.

  13. #13
    TCB Mafia toffe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Europe -> Norway
    Posts
    1,047
    Thanks for info
    Taking Care of Business
    Til we meet you again, may God bless you, Adios.

  14. #14
    International Level Leroy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Rhenen - Holland.
    Posts
    845
    Originally this suit is named "Arabian". It was designed in a hurry in the summer of 1973. This suit has two different versions. One version is done with heavy stones and studs as you can see on the pictures.
    The second version was designed in 1974. This second version became better known as the "Ace of Spades" but this is not the original name. Because of the spades like figures on the suit the fans started to call this suit this way. But in fact the spades like figures are Arabian symbols. You can see them almost everywhere on buildings and stained glass in the Arabian world.

    The belt on the 1973 "Arabian" is not the original belt. This belt belongs to the 1973 "Multi Coloured Rain" which is also on display at Graceland.

    The suit was also nicknamed "Kitchen Sink Suit" and "Memphis Suit".
    The first nickname was given by designer Gene Doucette. He didn't had enough material to make a proper design so they emptied all the drawers and started to work. When the suit was finished he said: "We've used everything 'cept the kitchen sink!"
    It was called "Memphis Suit" by the fans but in fact this name doesn't make sense. Elvis used several suits in Memphis. Also this suit was worn several times before Elvis put it on for his 1974 Memphis show

  15. #15
    Too Much Monkey Business Jumpsuit Junkie's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    In Your Heart
    Posts
    5,993
    Although I tend to agree that EPE do get things wrong on a regular basis to some degree they are right

    Here is some information provided by Leroy for my site:-


    At the end of 1973 (during his August/September season in Las Vegas) Elvis started to wear a suit that was not exactly a well thought-of design. It was covered with stones and studs and very colourful to say the least. It was nick-named the "Kitchen Sink Suit". This was a phrase designer Gene Doucette used when the suit was finished: "We've used up everything except the kitchen sink!"
    This suit was done with the last pieces of material they had because Elvis needed a suit "in a rush".
    Elvis wore it several times during his last 1973 season and started wearing it again during the first months of 1974. Elvis wore the suit on March 20th, 1974 in Memphis while the live album was being recorded. For this reason fans started naming this suit the "Memphis Suit". But the original name was/is "Arabian"
    .

    Just before the spring of 1974 Gene found a way to use embroidery on the suits. The reason he developed this way of designing was that the suits would be lighter in weight and therefore easier for Elvis to wear. A whole new line of suits saw the light of day, all done in embroidery. Two suits that has been always associated with 1976 and 1977 made their debut during Elvis Lake Tahoe season in October 1974: the "Mexican Sundial" and a new version of the "Arabian", this time done in embroidery. Therefore we have two suits baring the same name. To avoid confusion we now talk about the 1973 "Arabian" and the 1974 "Arabian". This last suit is better known as "Ace of Spades" or "King of Spades"
    (pictured above).
    Elvis used two belts on this suit. In 1974 he used the original designed belt. When Elvis started to use the 1974 "Arabian" again in the fall of 1976 he used another belt; the one from the 1975 "V-Neck". In 1977 the 1974 "Arabian"
    was used again and this time Elvis altered between the original belt and the 1975
    "V-neck" belt. Looking closely at the 1976 pictures it might come to your attention that the suit looks larger than in 1974. That is right. I asked Gene if there were two versions. But Gene explained that after the Aloha Show in 1973 they started to anticipate on Elvis weight swings and build in the possibility to let the suit out if the situation asked for it.


    Hope this helps to clear up the confusion.

  16. #16
    International Level thehillbillycat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Byron, Georgia
    Posts
    785
    Quote Originally Posted by Leroy View Post
    Originally this suit is named "Arabian". It was designed in a hurry in the summer of 1973. This suit has two different versions. One version is done with heavy stones and studs as you can see on the pictures.
    The second version was designed in 1974. This second version became better known as the "Ace of Spades" but this is not the original name. Because of the spades like figures on the suit the fans started to call this suit this way. But in fact the spades like figures are Arabian symbols. You can see them almost everywhere on buildings and stained glass in the Arabian world.

    The belt on the 1973 "Arabian" is not the original belt. This belt belongs to the 1973 "Multi Coloured Rain" which is also on display at Graceland.

    The suit was also nicknamed "Kitchen Sink Suit" and "Memphis Suit".
    The first nickname was given by designer Gene Doucette. He didn't had enough material to make a proper design so they emptied all the drawers and started to work. When the suit was finished he said: "We've used everything 'cept the kitchen sink!"
    It was called "Memphis Suit" by the fans but in fact this name doesn't make sense. Elvis used several suits in Memphis. Also this suit was worn several times before Elvis put it on for his 1974 Memphis show

    The Memphis Suit doesn't make sense in my opinion either. He wore the
    White Egyptian Bird suit on July 5, 1976 and that suit is not referred to the Memphis Suit. He also wore the Chief suit on June 10, 1975. The Chief suit should have the honor of being called The Memphis Suit because it the photo which is from Memphis 1975 was the cover for From Elvis Presley Blvd, Memphis Tennessee. But that is my opinion.

  17. #17
    International Level srj1967's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    933

    .

    Quote Originally Posted by Elvislennon2004 View Post
    The Memphis Suit doesn't make sense in my opinion either. He wore the
    White Egyptian Bird suit on July 5, 1976 and that suit is not referred to the Memphis Suit. He also wore the Chief suit on June 10, 1975. The Chief suit should have the honor of being called The Memphis Suit because it the photo which is from Memphis 1975 was the cover for From Elvis Presley Blvd, Memphis Tennessee. But that is my opinion.
    Memphis show, 1974 ... he wore the suit during the live album recording. This show came before the others you mentioned.

    Simple, really.

    It was called the Memphis suit by fans since the 70s.

  18. #18
    International Level thehillbillycat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Byron, Georgia
    Posts
    785
    Quote Originally Posted by srj1967 View Post
    Memphis show, 1974 ... he wore the suit during the live album recording. This show came before the others you mentioned.

    Simple, really.

    It was called the Memphis suit by fans since the 70s.
    Still doesn't matter, Sunlight suit worn March 16, 1974 before March 20, 1974 live RCA recording. If you look at it your way then Sunlight suit should have the honor of The Memphis Suit. White Red Flower Suit worn March 17, 1974 AS before March 20, 1974. It too could have the honor of the Memphis suit. White Inca Gold Leaf suit worn March 17, 1974 ES it too could have the honor of the Memphis Suit.


    As I have said, Doesn't make sense.

  19. #19
    TCB Mafia jak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    S.C. USA
    Posts
    2,125
    Quote Originally Posted by srj1967 View Post
    Memphis show, 1974 ... he wore the suit during the live album recording. This show came before the others you mentioned.

    Simple, really.

    It was called the Memphis suit by fans since the 70s.
    You are correctabout why it's called the Memphis suit.The names given by the fans to his outfits have been around for years.They may not be technically correct in some instances but everybody acknowledges them.The names have been around for so long it sounds odd when someone calls them by another name.
    Jak

  20. #20
    International Level srj1967's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    933

    .

    Quote Originally Posted by Elvislennon2004 View Post
    Still doesn't matter, Sunlight suit worn March 16, 1974 before March 20, 1974 live RCA recording. If you look at it your way then Sunlight suit should have the honor of The Memphis Suit. White Red Flower Suit worn March 17, 1974 AS before March 20, 1974. It too could have the honor of the Memphis suit. White Inca Gold Leaf suit worn March 17, 1974 ES it too could have the honor of the Memphis Suit.


    As I have said, Doesn't make sense.
    Once again: it's based on the live album recording, not the fact that it was worn in Memphis!! Maybe "Memphis Album" suit would help you understand?

    Had the album not been recorded, the suit would've been dubbed another name by fans. Or, if he had worn another suit for the show, then that suit would've been called the Memphis suit.
    Last edited by srj1967; 05-31-2007 at 09:07 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 75
    Last Post: 07-17-2013, 09:28 AM
  2. Replies: 51
    Last Post: 10-20-2012, 04:16 PM
  3. Knot Jumpsuit (aka) White Tassel Jumpsuit (1971)
    By Jumpsuit Junkie in forum Jumpsuits
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 05-03-2012, 02:44 AM
  4. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 10-03-2005, 02:56 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •