View Poll Results: Would Elvis have made it big if he was born outside of America?

Voters
113. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes - His Talent transcends continental barriers

74 65.49%
  • No - He wouldn't of had the same opportunities

39 34.51%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Only In America?

Too Much Monkey Business Jumpsuit Junkie's Avatar

Only In America?

At his finest moments, Elvis was able to fulfil the American dream, he embodied it. And in some ways Elvis is used as the yard stick by which super stardom is measured, the Limos, the mansion, the aeroplanes etc.

There are landmarks e.g. the 68 special showing the world that he still had what it takes, this is probably an American phenomenon as other cultures for some reason seem to envy their stars where as in America they celebrate fame and have monuments such as Hollywood.

The Aloha show is a grand affair typically American brimming with showmanship.

The question................

Had Elvis been born in any other country besides America, would he still have made it?

Southeastern Portion of These Here United States
    A very interesting question Matt

I believe with his talent, Elvis would have been successful anywhere. He was just too good to go un-noticed.
    "Don't tamper with the property of the U.S. Male"

Thats a good question for sure. He was so influenced by things uniquely
    American- blues, gospel, and country western music-which started his musical search. But I think he had that inner chrisma which would have always attracted attention in any walk of life-wherever it may have been. If he would have become the world wide superstar he became with his American roots, I don't know.

That's a hard one, mainly because there are many fine talents that don't cross over to success in America. I think he would have, but that's one hard question.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Boss Man View Post
    A very interesting question Matt

I believe with his talent, Elvis would have been successful anywhere. He was just too god to go un-noticed.
    Right Steve!

Anyway, I think it was really important for his career and music to be born in America in that particular period to take all those musical influences that maybe he couldn't have found in other countries (Ghospel, Blues, Country)

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverTheKing View Post
    Right Steve!

Anyway, I think it was really important for his career and music to be born in America in that particular period to take all those musical influences that maybe he couldn't have found in other countries (Ghospel, Blues, Country)
    I think you are absolutely right, I think as Talented as Elvis was. Elvis would have struggled to achieve the same level of stardom in the UK.

The same opportunities would not have arrived as in America

I certainly don't think Hollywood would have come knocking!!

I say YES!!!! Anywhere he would have been noticed. I think with the cultural background he had from his childhood though, molded who and how he sang. This might not have been the same sound created if he had been born elsewhere.

I dream a world where man no other man
    will scorn. Where LOVE will bless the earth
    and peace its paths adorn...

This is a good topic.One I've never thought of before.The way it happened for Elvis it just seems like the stage was set for him to emerge here in the states.Sun records.the Col,TV,RCA records and so on.It all seems to fit so perfectly.I think the greatest boost to Elvis was his timing.This country was waiting for someone like him with open arms.I kinda think Elvis at that time would have acvhieved noteriety no matter where he was.
    Jak

The "South" is so important to becoming who he was, and it is part of his appeal-southern drawl, phrasing etc. I think it is a truely American puzzle he put together with his own natural talent and chrisma.

Quote Originally Posted by KPM View Post
    The "South" is so important to becoming who he was, and it is part of his appeal-southern drawl, phrasing etc. I think it is a truely American puzzle he put together with his own natural talent and chrisma.
    It feels very strange to see someone express my same opinions.
    Are you sure I don't know you??

Anyway; this is my opinion almost exactly. Because of the "southern culture" he was reared in...he was able to bring what people called "black music" to the mainstream public & they accepted it & him.
    In those early days there was much prejudice here in the U.S.
    He lived & grew up in the same circumstances as poor white & black families .
    He loved the music & incorporated the "feel" of it & brought it to the rest of us.
    Also, his families afiliation in the Assembly of God church.
    {they could 'move' & feel the music, preachers ,etc. ....they still can. }

It seems to me; European countries were much more tolerant of other races & people than we were. They still are , IMO.

Therefore, I have to say ......no, he wouldn't have been raised in the same circumstances so, things would have been different for him & us.
    Not that the talent wasn't there .....just that his life would have been different.

But, I can't say he might not have brought us a "different" sound.
    I think that restless need to express himself would still have been there .

re

It's a very hard question
    If you look to Robbie Williams,he is very famous in Europe and can't go out on the street without being recognized,but in the U.S.A,nobody knows him...
    So i don't know what anwser i have to give,but i think Elvis would also been succesfull if he was born outside of America...he was very talented
    I'd like to go to Graceland
    Memphis,Tennessee

Elvis would also have been a big succes outside the USA, a very gifted artist anywhere or simply a diferent kind of guy anytime, he had that special whatever it is that make of a human being a very special one.

But in order to make a revolution in modern popular music, fashion an social attitudes and to take that impact around the world he needed to be an american cat born Jan 8 1935 in the United States, he needed to be in that particular circumstances to change what he changed.

Plus we hardly have heard of him no matter how great he was if he had lived any other country, today things have changed, but back then only american media had that kind of world wide impact.
    Last edited by Raised on Rock; 05-05-2007 at 04:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Raised on Rock View Post
    but back then only American media had that kind of world wide impact.
    Absolutely right, there are artists around the world who have a great voice and presence that just do not get the same amount of coverage.

I think that Elvis was unique and was at the right place at the right time, that's not to say he wasn't talented of course he was, however if you don't have the right manager/agent putting your face about town, forget it.

God does things of a specific way for some reason... He created Elvis the way he did... EP lights up our lives anyway.
    Let the stars fade and fall, and I won't care at all, as long as I have you.
    Elvis...

http://myantiquemusicbox.wordpress.com/
    http://wendy56.wordpress.com/

"You've got it all together like a lovin' machine
    You're lookin' like glory and walkin' like a dream...
    Mother nature's sure been good to Y-O-U"

Wendy

Elvis had it tough. He got through it all.He had a very short life.He achieved so much.He left a unique legacy.He will always be remembered.His love is still there for everyone. ................. No. He would not have done all these things if he had been born anywhere else in the world. Just my opinion.

TCB Mafia
    i don't think it matters where you're born. i'm sure he would have been just as successful if he was born elsewhere

I think a lot of things have contributed to his fame, I totally agree with KPM. I think the influence of where he lived was very importaned for the way he sang, moved and breathed music. Think of Beale street and the black gospel he loved.

We are all a product of our environments, our cultures definitely leave a big stamp on our personality. For instance people often talk of the Southern Hospitality & American Culture, these are things that make people the way they are. To remove someone from their influences surely would make you a different individual as your life experience dictates certain aspects of your behaviour.

Elvis was born in the USA in 1935, lets say Elvis was born in Germany in 1935 or Europe! In spite of his huge talent, would it have had the same impact?

Only In Aamerica?

My reply is simple:
    Yes. Why? Because Elvis is Elvis. 'Nuff said.

Quote Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
    Talent is talent, proof is in the pudding as Elvis is still popular in Germany.

We will have to disagree on this, I don't doubt that Elvis is popular in Germany, but the second world war left a different culture to that of free America in the 50's, this would have had a big impact on the society of Germany!

Please name a star of Elvis' calibre to rise to world superstardom from Germany?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast