23 15.65%
  • 8 out of 10

17 11.56%
  • 10 out of 10

44 29.93%
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Unworn Jumpsuit (1977)

Elvis Presley Blvd Unchained Melody's Avatar
    The Mad Tiger would have been way to tight for Elvis in August 77. Heck it was bad enough in the fall of 74.

Elvis was mad as hell when he tried the suit on and it didn't fit and he was upset because he was going to have to wear an old suit for the upcoming august 77 tour...according to Billy Smith..
    "How do I get placed in situations like this? Ah hell, I guess it's all part of showbusiness "~ Elvis in his limo on his way to perform in Omaha, NE on June 19th 1977

where was this picturn took can someone tell me plz

Backstage Pass
    its a bit odd and i've never been a fan of that percise design
    If Tears Could Build A Stairway, And Memories A Lane, I'd Walk Right Up To Heaven And Bring You Home Again -

Quote Originally Posted by elvisfan92 View Post
    its a bit odd and i've never been a fan of that percise design
    did you see page 3 of this thread? it has modified photos of Elvis wearing it on stage.

Quote Originally Posted by elvispresleytheking View Post
    Reading all of the comments, it does not appear that this suit was very popular. Now if you want to talk about an ugly suit with an ugly belt, look at the V-Neck.
    http://www.epgold.com/Elvis%20Jumpsu...20jumpsuit.JPG
    Yes, that one as atrociously ugly, like the designers were determined to see how far down the road to terminal ugliness -- and they obviously strove to achieve a Medusa-like level that would literally kill audience members who unwisely or unknowingly turned their full gaze upon the suit -- they could go. It's way beyond merely 'unflattering,' because it would have looked awful on anyone (including the more trim Elvis of a few years before).

Sure, the so-called 'Penguin' suit is a bit disconcerting to see on the stage (it's more out and out weird than anything else...the blue and brown versions are, by virtue of lower contrast, less jarring and looked okay on Elvis offstage) but it was never intended for stagewear. The 1975 V-necked outfit, on the other hand, is simply ugly beyond words and never meant to be seen in the wild at all.
    I'm a roving roustabout...

Quote Originally Posted by Lonniebealestreet View Post
    I think part of the reason that suit might look not look so great is because it's not on Elvis's body. Perhaps the design might not be something we would all favor, but it would have been great to see Elvis in another blue suit at that stage, I think. And the belt and buckle seem less bulky than most (is that why many think this suit looks cheap?), so that's another plus as it would not draw more attention to his midsection and add girth to it.
    The belt is weird, no doubt...it does appear too wide and too spartan for its size, and I think one of the more-or-less generic belts from earlier days (like the one made for the white fireworks suit or the original belt for the powder blue 'On Tour' nail suit, or the nice white belt that's seen in some pictures of shirt-and-pants Elvis in Vegas in 1972) would better set off the suit than that thing. And it was not unusual for Elvis to ditch the belts that came with the suit in favor of another, so I wouldn't be surprised if this belt never saw the light of day. Besides, Elvis seemed to awkwardly miss the chains on the belts that were made without them -- he'd grown too used to hooking his thumbs in them, for one thing.

I think a big contributor to why this belt looks so bad to us is not just that it's not on Elvis but that it's too high on Elvis' body in that picture. Elvis' concert belts were worn low on the hips and they look odd -- actually imparting something of a senior-citizen feeling (think of those more mature men who often wear their trousers so high that they're covering the floating ribs) -- if they're not so low that they're on the verge of slipping off over his hips. In a few pictures, Elvis can be seen with his belts hitched up and it just looks wrong.
    I'm a roving roustabout...

From Elvis Presley Blvd Lonniebealestreet's Avatar
    Good observations, 1100. I know what you mean and what comes to mind mostly are some photos from '76 in which he's bigger and he's got his belt hiked up there, which seems to make matters worse.
    ...you won't forget me when I go.

Backstage Pass
    Quote Originally Posted by MojoElvis View Post
    did you see page 3 of this thread? it has modified photos of Elvis wearing it on stage.
    Well that i've seen it he does look good in it or should i say the suit looks good because of him
    If Tears Could Build A Stairway, And Memories A Lane, I'd Walk Right Up To Heaven And Bring You Home Again -

I'm not crazy about this unworn jumpsuit...but, I think anytime a wide belt is worn, it just adds to the waistline...

franny

It is very different from all the other jumpsuits Elvis owned.
    The One and Only King of Rock'n'Roll.

dannyboyallen
    SO why does everyone hate impersonators??? Guys like myself try to create a true tribute to Elvis (most true Elvis fans enjoy our shows). Also I am a bigger guy I would rather come out in my two piece flying suit (with the blue and gold shoulder trim) than the Sundial. It would make sense for me as a big guy to come out in that that the 68' leather or the "that's the way it is jumpsuits" But I will admit that the Sundial is one of his most amazing an recognizable suits. I think everyone should just enjoy the memory of ELVIS and move on past the "I think he would have looked better in" and realize that he was ELVIS an amazing entertainer and vocalist and that is what made him great not what suit he wore.

I think it would've looked pretty good on him. "Classy" would've fit him better during this time period rather than the "flashy" ones from when he was more active. Kind of slowly going back to his original look, perhaps.
    ...you're moving on the back roads, by the rivers of my memory and for hours you're just gentle on my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by dannyboyallen View Post
    SO why does everyone hate impersonators??? Guys like myself try to create a true tribute to Elvis (most true Elvis fans enjoy our shows). Also I am a bigger guy I would rather come out in my two piece flying suit (with the blue and gold shoulder trim) than the Sundial. It would make sense for me as a big guy to come out in that that the 68' leather or the "that's the way it is jumpsuits" But I will admit that the Sundial is one of his most amazing an recognizable suits. I think everyone should just enjoy the memory of ELVIS and move on past the "I think he would have looked better in" and realize that he was ELVIS an amazing entertainer and vocalist and that is what made him great not what suit he wore.
    Elvis tribute artist's do love Elvis. It's not easy getting up in front all these people and hoping you can at least capture a little of what Elvis was like and what he gave us in music and image.

Quote Originally Posted by MojoElvis View Post
    Elvis tribute artist's do love Elvis. It's not easy getting up in front all these people and hoping you can at least capture a little of what Elvis was like and what he gave us in music and image.
    AMEN BROTHER!!!

Roustabouts
    Look, when you're mind is humming along on copious amounts of Dilaudid and Dexedrine this jumpsuit probably looks pretty cool. Hell, wearing the pizza suit probably looked okay, too. Elvis's jumpsuit choices over the last few years of his life were pretty horrendous. He had become a parody of himself. It's sad. Pathetic actually. I love Elvis, but I can't kid myself that he was immune to the devastating effects of drug addiction, he was human, after all.
    "Well, I'm the king o' the jungle they call me the Tiger Man."

Cadillac King
    this suit was part of Jimmy Velvet' Elvis Presley Museum On Tour. I know this, because I had this suit with me for almost a year in 1990-91 when I was touring with the Museum here in Canada. I did the 1989-1993 tour with Jimmy's museum. I have this suit with me in the showcase on a tv show, with oher items, like rings, 56 enterprises items, white coat from the 68 and other stuff. This new look was intended for the new August-September 1977 tour and 3 different color was ordered.
    Thanks, Bogarcon

Unworn

I was at Graceland yesterday and thought the suit looked great. Of course it was not on him so who's to say?
    ...you're moving on the back roads, by the rivers of my memory and for hours you're just gentle on my mind.

Backstage Pass
    Modified picture using very basic software (microsoft word) - took me 5 hours and 200 edits! Unfortuntely could only save it in very poor quality. Anyway I decided to post it nonetheless. Hope You like it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Modified.JPG  

Re: Unworn Jumpsuit (1977)

Quote Originally Posted by Jumpsuit Junkie View Post
    I think by this period in Elvis' life he had little love left for touring and perhaps saw it as a means to an end, the stagewear was pretty much on hold, wearing Jumpsuits from two or three years previous. the only challenge left was the CBS special and he had the same jumpsuit throughout the filming of this! You have to ask the question if there really was much milage left for the jumpsuit, the 80's were just round the corner I can't see how even Elvis could have carried on with what essentially was a 70's thing!!
    Even though the 50's where obviously making a comeback, like the 70's did in the late 90's, with the success of, American Graffiti 1973, that lead to Happy Days 1974 don't you think Elvis' death had a lot to do with boosting that fashion full force ahead? In my opinion, the fashion in the 80s was a modernized version of the 50s. Witch by the way, Jim Morrison predicted before he died.

http://www.fashion-era.com/hats-hair..._1980_1990.htm

Hard to tell what Elvis would've done but remember Prince copied Elvis' 70's look not 50s in Purple Rain, Released June 25, 1984.
    Last edited by TCB4ELVIS; 07-04-2009 at 06:07 PM.

Coming On Strong

Re: Unworn Jumpsuit (1977)

unknown one?but i don't really enjoy this one.the waistband is too wide!!
    i am a chinese girl , i hope to be friends with you

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast