23 15.65%
  • 8 out of 10

17 11.56%
  • 10 out of 10

44 29.93%
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Unworn Jumpsuit (1977)

International Level
    Well didn't Joe have office out in L.A.? Or Las Vegas? When he wasn't on the road with Elvis he was at his office? As for hillbilly remark. I know Joe from doing shows and contest with him as a speical guest. He is very high class and very smart man and I'm happy call him my friend. I haven't seen him in couple years. Charlie I never got to meet wish I did.

Love to all,
    Tim Dudley

Other than the Mexican Sundial, this has got to be the worst design I've ever seen....

Was Elvis wanting to attempt to upstage James Burton or have a competition in regards to the paisley design (seeing as James played a paisley Fender tele)?

Too Much Monkey Business Jumpsuit Junkie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Trout View Post
    Other than the Mexican Sundial, this has got to be the worst design I've ever seen....

Was Elvis wanting to attempt to upstage James Burton or have a competition in regards to the paisley design (seeing as James played a paisley Fender tele)?
    I have to go along with you that this is the worst Jumpsuit design EVER I just can't see Elvis wearing this monstrosity! Obviously from the picture below the waist has been tucked in, the paisley design is just so awful it hurts my eyes to look at it, as for the colour, come on Gene (Doucette) what were you thinking. The bottom of the pants look odd, there was usually a kick pleat that seems to have disappeared. I just don't think that this suit was finished satisfactorily and Gene has done his own thing?

The whole Jumpsuit feels completely wrong IMO with what has come before it and what Elvis seemed comfortable with. Does anyone else agree?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1977.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Jumpsuit Junkie View Post
    I have to go along with you that this is the worst Jumpsuit design EVER I just can't see Elvis wearing this monstrosity! Obviously from the picture below the waist has been tucked in, the paisley design is just so awful it hurts my eyes to look at it, as for the color, come on Gene (Doucette) what were you thinking. The bottom of the pants look odd, there was usually a kick pleat that seems to have disappeared. I just don't think that this suit was finished satisfactorily and Gene has done his own thing?

The whole Jumpsuit feels completely wrong IMO with what has come before it and what Elvis seemed comfortable with. Does anyone else agree?

Did Elvis ever see the finished jumpsuit before his death?

Maybe that's what killed him?!

Hideous!
    Getlo - cute'n'cuddly

Quote Originally Posted by Getlo View Post

Hideous!

LOL! I agree...that's one hideous jumpsuit....EWWWW!!!

I agree it's the worse jumpsuit. Hopefully had he lived he would have turned it down and another more suitable suit would have been made. I can image the media would have had a field day if he had gone on stage in this one.

Diane

Too Much Monkey Business Jumpsuit Junkie's Avatar
    The book All Access says "This was the last jumpsuit to be designed for Elvis before his death. This suit was never completed and Elvis never had the opportunity to wear it on stage.

My guess is that Elvis didn't see it

I took another good look at the picture you posted of the last suit here Matt and was surprised to find that if you look at this picture where the blue is much paler and muted than other pictures we've seen, it looks better and might not have been half bad at all if it had been pale or a light gray but the belt had to go...no hope for it at all.

Diane

When Graceland first opened, and I toured it right afterwards they had this on display...it was a pale pale blue...the tour guide stated that Elvis was going back to the simpler, less adorned/elaborate suits that he started out with. It was on display in the trophy bldg. the center part where they had his personal wardrobe, motorcycle (his last one) and the wedding outfits/cake, to name just a few things.

Quote Originally Posted by Jungleroom76 View Post
    I've always thought this jumpsuit was a bit odd-looking too...certainly wouldn't have been one of his more popular jumpsuits, in my opinion.

TCB!
    Mike
    Nope, I never thought this looked like Elvis either.
    "I have learned never to ridicule any man's opinion, however strange it may seem."

You know guys most of the stuff Elvis wore looks horrible and tacky when he's not wearing it. Let's face it, he had a way of making almost anything look good. To me it looks like an attempt to stepping away from the concept Jumpsuits. The Aloha Eagle, Peacock, Tiger, Mexican, Aztec sundial. This look more like they were going back to the design look. Like the Adonis, Checkard Board and Pinwheel jumpsuits.

The book All Access says "This was the last jumpsuit to be designed for Elvis before his death. This suit was never completed and Elvis never had the opportunity to wear it on stage.
    When I fist saw this suit, it reminded me the fabric is used for the interiors of a coffin... Even the color seems to be related with death. I don't like this suit and guess the worst part was that aweful color. Elvis deserved more than that cheap design.
    And someone talked about Elvis wearing two-pieces suits intead of jumpsuits during his last years, but I think he wouldn't feel comfortable with them. He may not be able to move easily. And as far as I know, the Mexican Sundial () pressed his belly to make it look smaller... Anyway, I like all suits. Elvis was looking great with anything on. The most important was the man, not just the entertainer's look.
    Let the stars fade and fall, and I won't care at all, as long as I have you.
    Elvis...

http://myantiquemusicbox.wordpress.com/
    http://wendy56.wordpress.com/

"You've got it all together like a lovin' machine
    You're lookin' like glory and walkin' like a dream...
    Mother nature's sure been good to Y-O-U"

Wendy

International Level SeeSeeRider777's Avatar
    This jumpsuit is the worst design ever. And what is up with the belt? I know all of Elvis' belts were big but this is HUGE! Looks like a old lady's belt.
    "When I was a child, ladies and gentlemen, I was a dreamer. I read comic books, and I was a hero in the movie. So every dream that I ever dreamed has come true a hundred times. I learned very early in life that without a song, the day would never end; without a song, a man ain't got a friend; without a song, the road would never bend; without a song. So I keep singing a song." - Elvis Presley

International Level
    Believe it I or not. I like it...To me 30 years ago this would have looked good on him. With that picture from Jumpsuit book I see there is darts in that one so first few pictures at the begin' of this post have been 1st test run?

Love to all,
    Tim Dudley

Unfinished?

The other thing possibly making this suit appear strange is that (at least according to the jumpsuit tour at Graceland) it was unfinished.

I remember reading in Guralnick's CARELESS LOVE that he tried on a suit at Graceland before the tour that never was, but the suit "still did not fit." Is that the same suit?

I do think it would have looked better ON Elvis.

Quote Originally Posted by peter View Post
    I heard that Elvis should wore it for the first time on 17 - 26 June tour. Originally it was made as suit for CBS Special. I think that this suit isn?t bad as V-Neck or Mad Tiger suit, but yes, Mexican is far better!

The Mad Tiger suit isn't a bad suit, IMO. Between this suit and the Mexican Sundial suit, I wouldn't choose either one. By 1977, Elvis just didn't care anymore.

And, are you saying that Elvis was supposed to have worn this suit during his final tour? I've never ever read that anywhere at all.....

Quote Originally Posted by Getlo View Post

Hideous!

Quote Originally Posted by SeeSeeRider777 View Post
    And what is up with the belt? I know all of Elvis' belts were big but this is HUGE! Looks like a old lady's belt.

Good one Joe!!

Unworn Jumpsuit (1977) Made for the August 1977 unfortunately it was never to be. I have made up a picture to try and simulate what it could look like.
    This suit kind of looks like something an overweight Liberace impersonator might wear.

International Level elvispresleytheking's Avatar

Worst jumpsuit design

Reading all of the comments, it does not appear that this suit was very popular. Now if you want to talk about an ugly suit with an ugly belt, look at the V-Neck.
    http://www.epgold.com/Elvis%20Jumpsu...20jumpsuit.JPG

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast