23 15.65%
  • 8 out of 10

17 11.56%
  • 10 out of 10

44 29.93%
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Unworn Jumpsuit (1977)

Unworn Jumpsuit

I don't think the jumpsuit that is pictured at the beginning of this link looks like the jumpsuit that is in the Jumpsuit Expo at Graceland. The Baby Blue Silver Lemae jumpsuit is the only one in the collection that Elvis never got to wear. After his death, Bill Belew sent this jumpsuit to Vernon. There was no belt with this suit. This information came from Angie in the Graceland Archives.

These two pictures were taken in early March after the expo opened. There is no belt on the jumpsuit and the legs are not plain - they also have the Silver Lemae. It is a beautiful jumpsuit. Taking pictures of this jumpsuit proved to be difficult with the low lighting, placement of the jumpsuit with a lot of other jumpsuits, glare on the glass and reflections from the other side of the aisle.

Ref your comments about the two-piece suits, that has been talked about time and time again on Sirius Radio. Priscilla said that Elvis tried to wear the two-piece suits but due to his performance, he could not keep his shirt in the pants and he was uncomfortable wearing those.

Comments regarding why he wore the jumpsuits, he started that style and other performers started wearing jumpsuits. For one, Neil Diamond. You had to live that era to understand the fashion. Think about clothes being worn today and what they will look like in 30 to 35 years.
    Last edited by cprimm; 05-08-2007 at 07:09 AM. Reason: attachments not here

No attachments

Quote Originally Posted by cprimm View Post
    I don't think the jumpsuit that is pictured at the beginning of this link looks like the jumpsuit that is in the Jumpsuit Expo at Graceland. The Baby Blue Silver Lemae jumpsuit is the only one in the collection that Elvis never got to wear. After his death, Bill Belew sent this jumpsuit to Vernon. There was no belt with this suit. This information came from Angie in the Graceland Archives.

These two pictures were taken in early March after the expo opened. There is no belt on the jumpsuit and the legs are not plain - they also have the Silver Lemae. It is a beautiful jumpsuit. Taking pictures of this jumpsuit proved to be difficult with the low lighting, placement of the jumpsuit with a lot of other jumpsuits, glare on the glass and reflections from the other side of the aisle.

Ref your comments about the two-piece suits, that has been talked about time and time again on Sirius Radio. Priscilla said that Elvis tried to wear the two-piece suits but due to his performance, he could not keep his shirt in the pants and he was uncomfortable wearing those.

Comments regarding why he wore the jumpsuits, he started that style and other performers started wearing jumpsuits. For one, Neil Diamond. You had to live that era to understand the fashion. Think about clothes being worn today and what they will look like in 30 to 35 years.

Pictures won't upload. They are in an earlier post regarding the JUMPSUIT EXPO opening.

re

I looked at your previous post in the thread about the jumpsuit expo,and the jumpsuit looks different than the picture of that unworn jumpsuit that is in this thread.Is the photo of this thread a fake one?
    I'd like to go to Graceland
    Memphis,Tennessee

This information came from Angie in the Graceland Archives.
    ... which means nothing. Graceland is notorious for getting facts, figures and other information completely wrong. They rarely consult with fans or clubs who know what they're talking about.

I remember being there in '88, and several pictures, suits etc were mislabelled.

And during the ELVIS PRESLEY IN CONCERT tour in Australia last year, they had the jumpsuit featured on the MSG original LP cover. Which was fine, except they said Elvis actually wore that suit while performing at the Garden, which of course is untrue.

he looks funny He should never wear that jumpsuits after Aloha.
    He looks like a turkish folk dancer...

Quote Originally Posted by elvis himselvis View Post
    I think it's funny what he is doing there with his moves
    But that's my opinion
    no it's my opinion!
    I guess elvis made parody of himself in 76-77

Quote Originally Posted by srj1967 View Post
    ... which means nothing. Graceland is notorious for getting facts, figures and other information completely wrong. They rarely consult with fans or clubs who know what they're talking about.

I remember being there in '88, and several pictures, suits etc were mislabelled.

And during the ELVIS PRESLEY IN CONCERT tour in Australia last year, they had the jumpsuit featured on the MSG original LP cover. Which was fine, except they said Elvis actually wore that suit while performing at the Garden, which of course is untrue.
    Srj1967, I am completely with you on this one. I have never been to Graceland but I have put up a correspondence with them many times to point out several historical facts they are displaying in the wrong way.

For instance the "Gold Attendance Belt". This belt was presented to Elvis by the manager of the International Hotel Alex Shoofy right after the closing show on August 28, 1969. There are pictures to prove that. But EPE keeps on stating Elvis received this belt in September 1970, just before going on tour. Many pictures of that period shows an Elvis who looked completely different from the Elvis who received that belt.

Secondly they state that the 1972 "Royal Blue Fireworks" (aka "Owl") is from 1969.

Also they are keep putting the wrong scarves and belts on the suits. If they would have been really interested in displaying items the way it ought to be then they should developpe an eye for detail because that's what they're missing here. And they lack real interest.

The have displayed the wrong 1973 "American Eagle" (Aloha). It's not the one Elvis used during the Aloha Special. It's the tour version that was used between April 1973 and March 1974.

But if you point out these "mistakes" all you get is a very arrogant reply.
    I'm am sure there is much more expertise between the commen fan than there is at EPE.
    Last edited by Leroy; 05-08-2007 at 11:50 PM. Reason: Some gammatical mistakes

Finally a good picture of the "unworn jumpsuit" on display in the Jumpsuit Expo

I did not take this picture. One of the EI did take this. I copied the picture, as I have seen pictures from TCB World in the Insiders forum. Whoever took this picture managed to take a good picture despite this suit being in the back of a large jumpsuit display and in the dark.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Never worn jumpsuit.jpg  

Too Much Monkey Business Jumpsuit Junkie's Avatar
    I did not take this picture. One of the EI did take this. I copied the picture, as I have seen pictures from TCB World in the Insiders forum. Whoever took this picture managed to take a good picture despite this suit being in the back of a large jumpsuit display and in the dark.
    Thank you for posting this picture

Unfortunately I still don't like it

In my opinion this jumpsuit is like taking 10 steps back on the the road of progress. In later years most of Elvis' jumpsuits were so called "theme suits". Themes like birds, Native American symbols, fire, and so on.... This one seems like it has been made to clean the drawers. Besides that, the later suits were becoming more and more plain, without patterns on the arms. The "Unworn Suit" even has patterns on the inner side of the legs. It's just too much. I have only one word for it: uninspired. As if it was designed to underline Elvis' mood during a lot of Elvis concerts in the last two years.

the suit is not a great one but i think elvis would have pulled it of someway as for elvis in the 80's heaven only knows what he would have wore they were all shoulder pads perms and polka dots i think elvis started and ended at the right time god knew where elvis fit in and took him away before he had to look silly.elvis had style and was way ahead of the times but not sure where he would have went musicaly or with his apperance . the 90's well there wasnt really a style track suits trainers and base ball caps how woul elvis look in those and today well it would be like clif richard still around but not much happening. elvis is as popular now as he was when he was alive maybee even more so

International Level rhythmknights's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jumpsuit Junkie View Post
    Unworn Jumpsuit (1977) Made for the August 1977 unfortunately it was never to be. I have made up a picture to try and simulate what it could look like.
    Yuck! I know he liked to wear outfits that stood out & were BEjeweled!, but this is an outfit for a Princess Diana not the King of Rock 'n Roll!! This is way too girlie!

Unworn Jumpsuit (1977)

thanks for sharing the pics and info on this suit.

New Unknown Jumpsuit Pic

Here is my own modified version of Elvis wearing the Unknown jumpsuit.

Let me know what you all think.

Here is another one, hope you all enjoy

Unworn jumpsuits & comments

Too bad EP had lost most of life's challenges...
    He had seen it all, done it all, shown the world all, beaten all records,
    all he was interested in -great human being he was- is to give back as much happiness and joy to his fans who never stopped loving him ! He never forgot that. Too bad he did not change every day into another jumpsuit... Could it be that Bill Ballew was charging/invoicing Elvis too much for each of those new one ?? I guess so. Does anyone know the price he charged ?

Now in 1976 and 1977 someone should have pointed out to him that a
    2-piece suit would have been much better for his image (and weight problem)
    Normally women do care more about that than men...and Charlie (great guy or Joe Esposito) were NOT the kind of individuals that knew...look at their own clothing and taste...and it will show you the downside of those hillbillies (with all respect for the juman being) but they misguided unknowingly Elvis on wearing his on stage costumes...and EP was too freaked out anyway to listen to those guys...we guess...Was anyone there ? People around EP though must have suggested those things to the King, no doubt...Can anyone shed some light on this (from serious sources please)???

Quote Originally Posted by Josh&JodyKC View Post
    and Charlie (great guy or Joe Esposito) were NOT the kind of individuals that knew...look at their own clothing and taste...and it will show you the downside of those hillbillies (with all respect for the juman being)
    Firstly, the "hillbilly" remark as used here is racist and offensive, and shows no respect for either of those human beings.

Secondly, Joe Esposito was not a Southerner (he was born in Chicago in 1938) so your description is even more inaccurate.
    Getlo - cute'n'cuddly

Quote Originally Posted by Getlo View Post
    Firstly, the "hillbilly" remark as used here is racist and offensive, and shows no respect for either of those human beings.

Secondly, Joe Esposito was not a Southerner (he was born in Chicago in 1938) so your description is even more inaccurate.
    Being from the south does NOT qualify one as a "hillbilly". I assumed that everyone knew that Joe Esposito was from Chicago....I guess he was a "yankee hillbilly."
    Well said Getlo!

Quote Originally Posted by Josh&JodyKC View Post

...and Charlie (great guy or Joe Esposito) were NOT the kind of individuals that knew...look at their own clothing and taste...and it will show you the downside of those hillbillies (with all respect for the juman being) but they misguided unknowingly Elvis on wearing his on stage costumes...and EP was too freaked out anyway to listen to those guys...we guess...Was anyone there ? People around EP though must have suggested those things to the King, no doubt...Can anyone shed some light on this (from serious sources please)???
    I have been sitting here in awe of comments like that. I met Charlie and Joe and have their autographs. It was not uncommon to run into them in the lobby of the Hilton. Neither one ever struck me as country or "hillbilly" like...and they were dressed no differently than anyone else in the lobby. That comment was so un-called for.

Elvis had created a world for himself and those guys were all caught up in it too.
    I think that Bill was trying to distract the one piece jumpsuit by totally having the top half look like a shirt. Seperated by the belt.
    I thought he had to do some more alterations on the size. Elvis could make just about anything look good.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast