Thread: Early thoughts on newly reissued "Paradise Hawaiian Style" FTD release

With Elvis On Tour!!! Jungleroom76's Avatar

Early thoughts on newly reissued "Paradise Hawaiian Style" FTD release

Just received my copies of POLK SALAD ANNIE and the newly upgraded PARADISE HAWAIIAN STYLE CD's from FTD today!

While I have not had a chance to listen to POLK SALAD ANNIE yet, I currently have PARADISE HAWAIIAN STYLE playing while I type this! And I wanted to give everyone an early opinion of this release...

I have to say that I am VERY IMPRESSED with the sound quality of PARADISE HAWAIIAN STYLE!! The sound on this new reissue seems so much richer and fuller than on the "Double Features" release a few years ago! I especially enjoyed the richer sound on DRUMS OF THE ISLANDS....it just sounded so crisp and full...the drums are really up front in the mix, which works really well for the song! Even the outtakes sound refreshingly rich!! I have noticed on some of the past FTD soundtrack reissues that after the original album is over, the sound quality of the outtakes seems to drop off just a bit (which is to be expected of course, considering they are outtakes)...but even the outtakes on PARADISE HAWAIIAN STYLE sound quite good!!

I am hoping to post a full review of PARADISE HAWAIIAN STYLE (and eventually, POLK SALAD ANNIE) soon, but I wanted to give everyone my first thoughts on this latest soundtrack reissue....it's definitely a winner!!

TCB!
    Mike

TCB-World...OPEN for business!!!

Wink

Look forward to the full review!!!
    I'm getting a little behind on my FTD's. Have to catch up soon!!!

TCB Mafia
    Great mini - review Mike....i still have to play mine yet something i will do right now...as you have reminded me.

As for the sound...i recall a discussion on "that other board" a while ago about the sound on these new FTD's.
    I have to say that i think they are all superior to the double feature releases. Now, a few people agreed at the time...but there were many that didn't and believed the DF's to be better Now that made no sense to me at all.
    Is it just my ears then ? The sound to me is far better on the FTD's.
    I recall that alot of fans at the time said that they were not worth the money either....and should be sold for a fraction of the price for what you are getting
    I believe them to be very much worth the money. You have re-vamped sound...alternate takes and outstanding packaging. I love the movie re-releases and look forward to whatever others they have planned.

Maybe they would rather spend their money on the greatest love songs or something similar
    Only kidding. I just can't understand the negative views to them.
    TCB Chris.

---------------------------------------

Talking

I haven't got all the soundtracks yet! But I love the ones I have and will get the rest as soon as possible!!!

TCB Mafia
    Quote Originally Posted by sam
    I haven't got all the soundtracks yet! But I love the ones I have and will get the rest as soon as possible!!!

Well what you playin' at Sam ? go and Buy them
    TCB Chris.

---------------------------------------

Didn't receive my copy yet, but I always thought of those PHS rehearsals as very funny, with lots of laughs!

I hope this cd will feature some of that funny moments...

Sonny

THANKS EVERYONE FOR YOUR KIND WORDS OF ENCOURAGEMENT!!!

I have just posted my full review of "Paradise, Hawaiian Style" in the FTD FORUM for everyone to enjoy!!

MANY THANKS AGAIN for your kind words for my reviews...I REALLY appreciate all of the positive feedback, and I am hoping to post some more new reviews soon!!

TCB!
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by NightRider
    As for the sound...i recall a discussion on "that other board" a while ago about the sound on these new FTD's.
    I have to say that i think they are all superior to the double feature releases. Now, a few people agreed at the time...but there were many that didn't and believed the DF's to be better Now that made no sense to me at all.
    Is it just my ears then ? The sound to me is far better on the FTD's.
    I recall that alot of fans at the time said that they were not worth the money either....and should be sold for a fraction of the price for what you are getting
    I believe them to be very much worth the money. You have re-vamped sound...alternate takes and outstanding packaging. I love the movie re-releases and look forward to whatever others they have planned.
    No Night Rider, it's not your ears!! The sound quality on all of the reissued soundtracks from FTD are a DEFINITE improvement over the "Double Features" releases! I am in complete agreeance with you that these FTD soundtracks are far superior to the "DF" CD's. But, for some reason, I just noticed that "Paradise, Hawaiian Style" sounded exceptionally good!! And, as I said in my mini-review above, usually once you get to the outtakes portion of the soundtracks (even on some of the past FTD soundtrack reissues), the sound quality seems to drop a little...which is not a big deal, considering they are outtakes and weren't originally meant to be heard! But even the outtakes for "Paradise, Hawaiian Style" sound exceptionally crisp and refreshing!! I am just really impressed with the sound quality of "Paradise"!!

I am with you also, that these reissued soundtracks are worth every penny!!! But...as you'll read in my full review, the fact that FTD is able to release these soundtracks in the special 7-inch deluxe covers for the same price as a regular FTD release makes me wonder why they haven't released ALL of the FTD CD's in this fashion??

THANKS AGAIN for the kind words on my "mini-review"....I hope you enjoy my full review!!

TCB!
    Mike

Heartbreak Hotel, Room 11 Albert's Avatar
    I just love the 7" FTD soundtracks! Comparing them to the low-budget looking DF releases, they are superior. I haven't found a FTD release that supriced me with a less soundquality than the DF. I haven't compared them 1-to-1, but will do so today.

One soundtrack that dissapointed me (soundwhise) is the "Harum Scarum" album. We have had many outtakes (both on import as on BMG cd's) in much better quality than presented on the FTD sountrack. That one really was a stepback from what we already owned.

But I can't wait to have ALL soundtracks in the 7" FTD format. And after that, it's up for the re-released 70's albums
    ‎"A year from now, you'll wish you had started today"

Follow TCB-World on Twitter for website updates and Elvisnews: http://twitter.com/tcbworldcom

I AGREE COMPLETELY ALBERT!!!

I LOVE the 7 inch format for the new soundtracks and I thought it worked well for the MEMPHIS concert re-release as well, although as I think I pointed out elsewhere on the board, I thought FTD might have been able to do a little more with the booklet for MEMPHIS....but I digress...

As for your observation on the HARUM SCARUM sound quality, I guess I'll have to go back and listen to that one again and compare it to the DF CD....I didn't notice a big difference in the FTD re-release, but I guess I'll have to do some comparing here in the near future!!

And, like Albert, I have to say...BRING ON THE 70'S REISSUES!!! :worthy:

TCB!
    Mike