Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Excerpt from Sonny West's new book...

Cadillac King
    PHP Code:
     deeply regrets writing "Elvis: What Happened"
    Oh no he didn?t Who believes that is gullible

Cadillac King
    I'm sorry I'm one of those awful people who holds a grudge for 30 years, but why didn't he put up a website and tell his story, one chapter at a time, for free.. I'm tired of being nickled and dimed by the people who love Elvis and want to share it for a price. Or how about giving the money to one of Elvis' charities.

I can forgive, I just have a hard time forgetting.

Quote Originally Posted by meg View Post
    PHP Code:
     deeply regrets writing "Elvis: What Happened"
    Oh no he didn?t Who believes that is gullible
    IMO it is a GUILTY conscience he is trying to clear before his days here on earth are up.

I will never forget you Rosanne.
    R.I.P. 4-27-59~7-22-09

l'am not going to forgive him anytime soon!!!!!!!!!!!
    Without a song,the day would never end.
    Without a song,a man ain t got a friend.
    Without a song,the road would never bend,
    so I keep singing a song. Elvis Presley

I listened to the dull interview. I love learning everything little thing I can about ELVIS and have for 51 of my 60 years, but found it hard to even keep my eyes open during that boring interview, except to roll them now and then at Sonny. My take on the interview was that Sonny wanted to talk more about himself and put himself in good light than he wanted to give a better impression of ELVIS to people.

My folks taught me something many moons ago...if a person keeps saying, "It isn't about the money".....it's about the money.
    In Sonny's case he kept saying about "ELvis What Happened"..."It wasn't about revenge" ................IMO same theory applies.

I will never forget you Rosanne.
    R.I.P. 4-27-59~7-22-09

International Level
    Quote Originally Posted by SweetCaroline View Post
    IMO it is a GUILTY conscience he is trying to clear before his days here on earth are up.
    lol

And being turfed out by your employers father with a few weeks pay is perfectly fine?

Some poeple here need to wise up. Elvis had a problem and Priscilla and his father didn't help him. In fact he didn't want help to stop it - he was an addict.

Red beat someone pretty bad who was giving Elvis the stuff.

Marty wrote a letter to hime after he got off the drugs and Elvis blew up saying no one tells Elvis Presley what to do or how to live his life.

Elvis was no saint. I am a great fan of his, but not blinkered to the truth.

Red, Sonny and Dave were sacked becasue they were causing too much trouble, being too heavy with the fans and Elvis wa settling with the fans who were hurt. Elvis had a cash-flow problem, intensified by Priscilla who demanded more money through her lawyer for the divorce than she had agreed with Elvis.

Elvis had to take the 73' deal with RCA to have enough liquid cash to pay Priscilla off ( and im oh so delighted how through that she has now screwed herself out of millions!! ) and he wasn't exactly as flush as he had been.

I'm not excusing the book - but - Elvis was pr*ck to sack them the way he did.
    The Sun Never Sets On A Legend...

Quote Originally Posted by presley View Post
    l'am not going to forgive him anytime soon!!!!!!!!!!!
    Sonny West did nothing to you ... so the matter of forgiveness from you, Presley, and all of you others *****ing and moaning is moot.

So, he helped write a book that was less-than-flattering about Elvis. It was 30 years ago.

Live with it.

Forgiveness is only a right for people actually involved in a dispute, which none of us were.

And no ... Sonny offending you as a fan is NOT enough to warrant your not "forgiving" him either!

Quote Originally Posted by srj1967 View Post
    Sonny West did nothing to you ... so the matter of forgiveness from you, Presley, and all of you others *****ing and moaning is moot.

So, he helped write a book that was less-than-flattering about Elvis. It was 30 years ago.

Live with it.

Forgiveness is only a right for people actually involved in a dispute, which none of us were.

And no ... Sonny offending you as a fan is NOT enough to warrant your not "forgiving" him either!

Best post I've read in this thread....totally agree!!

Thumbs up

I bought the book and thought it was great.
    If you are one of those who think E was a sweet lil angel you'd better stay away from it. It tells it like it is (was), yet doesn't leave you thinking any less of our man.
    Actually, it lets you see the he was real flesh and blood, and had to deal with more than any person should have to. Right or wrong, he dealt with it his way. Just like the song says.
    In the book, Sonny speaks of the closeness that was shared between the MM and Elvis; the good and the bad. Anybody that has had very close friends that you've grown up with or siblings know all about fighting and making up over and over again.
    That is the feel that I get from the book. Even through tumultous times, the love never went away on either side.
    I know there is a big difference in the way Southerners think than some other parts of the country. Maybe that is why some just can't see it.?
    Last edited by TLC67; 08-01-2007 at 06:19 PM.

TCB Mafia
    Quote Originally Posted by 0349054 View Post
    lol

And being turfed out by your employers father with a few weeks pay is perfectly fine?
    Well, I would have.

That's all required by law, two weeks notice. They were employees, afterall.

Are you in business for yourself?

IMO there were all kinds of motives for writing the book 30 years ago. Not all of them noble. Sonny said something about presenting Elvis with a challenge 30 years ago-that the reason for writing it was to challenge Elvis to straighten out. That was one reason for writing it but not the prime reason. All the other reasons are pretty obvious and have been discussed to death. I am not a Sonny fan, nor any of the others who have written books. I am an Elvis fan. But I wish these guys no ill. They do- what they do. To be clear though, I did not listen to Elvis the first time and go:
    "Wow I wonder if Sonny West has anything to do with this song"
    Even when I became aware of who all these guys were I never gave them much thought-Elvis is who I watched and listened to. His talent did not spring from them not were they essential to his movies or recordings.
    If his new book is successful more power to him. If he is trying to give a more balanced version of his association to Elvis thats great. I really don't care that much. I use to buy every book written about Elvis now I get them at the library and save my money. That money will be spent on Elvis cds and videos-on the talent which made me a fan. In the last 30 years how many "my association with Elvis" books have been written by how many people? Hundreds! The 100% truth will never be found in them.(good or bad) Elvis's point of view is never represented-I have said this before-He would have one also. On many things I give Elvis the benefit of the doubt-as I would to anyone who never gets to give their version when accusations are made. That does not make me naive. Like I said-IMO- we do not have to rehash the same things over and over. Everyone has the right to an opinion. If you think by making someone mad you change minds to your point of view-you're wrong.

TCB Mafia
    Quote Originally Posted by KPM View Post
    IMO there were all kinds of motives for writing the book 30 years ago. Not all of them noble. Sonny said something about presenting Elvis with a challenge 30 years ago-that the reason for writing it was to challenge Elvis to straighten out. That was one reason for writing it but not the prime reason. All the other reasons are pretty obvious and have been discussed to death. I am not a Sonny fan, nor any of the others who have written books. I am an Elvis fan. But I wish these guys no ill. They do- what they do. To be clear though, I did not listen to Elvis the first time and go:
    "Wow I wonder if Sonny West has anything to do with this song"
    Even when I became aware of who all these guys were I never gave them much thought-Elvis is who I watched and listened to. His talent did not spring from them not were they essential to his movies or recordings.
    If his new book is successful more power to him. If he is trying to give a more balanced version of his association to Elvis thats great. I really don't care that much. I use to buy every book written about Elvis now I get them at the library and save my money. That money will be spent on Elvis cds and videos-on the talent which made me a fan. In the last 30 years how many "my association with Elvis" books have been written by how many people? Hundreds! The 100% truth will never be found in them.(good or bad) Elvis's point of view is never represented-I have said this before-He would have one also. On many things I give Elvis the benefit of the doubt-as I would to anyone who never gets to give their version when accusations are made. That does not make me naive. Like I said-IMO- we do not have to rehash the same things over and over. Everyone has the right to an opinion. If you think by making someone mad you change minds to your point of view-you're wrong.

I think I need to just say: "Like KPM said (or will say)" lol

Hugs,
    Jess

what about those MM's drug stories??..who will write their books I wonder..no one of course,no one cares to read their stories so they are safe..oh pardon me they were cleeaaannnn guys of course..and I see again there's no concern about Elvis's health condition at that time and how he was cornered by plain thieves trying to suck his blood empty with that so called bussiness thing,lawsuits,an his ex in need of more millions,plus problems only he could've known..no mercy for Elvis again,why should anyone,he was rich, famous and spoiled ..
    they better be thankfull Elvis didn't chase all of these people round the world,with a samurai sword in his hand..and those poor cousins,I bet he was going to take them back even though they didn't deserve this.. but they chose to be the victim of their own greed.now they're talkin about loyalty and friendship..

TCB Mafia
    Quote Originally Posted by 4THEHEART View Post
    what about those MM's drug stories??..who will write their books I wonder..no one of course,no one cares to read their stories so they are safe..oh pardon me they were cleeaaannnn guys of course..and I see again there's no concern about Elvis's health condition at that time and how he was cornered by plain thieves trying to suck his blood empty with that so called bussiness thing,lawsuits,an his ex in need of more millions,plus problems only he could've known..no mercy for Elvis again,why should anyone,he was rich, famous and spoiled ..
    they better be thankfull Elvis didn't chase all of these people round the world,with a samurai sword in his hand..and those poor cousins,I bet he was going to take them back even though they didn't deserve this.. but they chose to be the victim of their own greed.now they're talkin about loyalty and friendship..

Well said, as always.

This is the thing, In my opinion, EPE has too much class to throw around the applicable words re what they were up to.

Sometimes I'm tempted to throw a few out there, (from what I was told) at times like this. Give some balance, be fair.

4TheHeart, from Elvis' friend, it was said that Elvis ALWAYS took people back, THEY KNEW THAT, Vernon ALWAYS DID THE HIRING AND FIRING, they knew that, nothing was different.

Jess

yes Jess,he was his father after all,no matter how they didn't agree on everything many times,different characters it seems..yet, he had to give some responsibility to mr. Presley..and as I said before, Elvis was noble and forgiving,not that playful kid only..wish he was here so there wouldn't be those fights,arguments,and empty talks we talk sometimes..he was a man of peace and love yes he was a marksman and was good at using guns as well(so was the cupid),a harmless one as long as you are not some kinda furniture.
    anyway, what I believe is he wasn't treated as he treated others..what a shame..and what I see and read most of the time,is nothing he deserved after all that happiness he gave us..I know how much I owe him..

TCB Mafia
    Quote Originally Posted by 4THEHEART View Post
    yes Jess,he was his father after all,no matter how they didn't agree on everything many times,different characters it seems he had to give some responsibility to mr. Presley..and as I said before, Elvis was noble and forgiving,not that playful kid only..wish he was here so there wouldn't be those fights,arguments,and empty talks we talk sometimes..he was a man of peace and love yes he was a marksman and was good at using guns as well(so was the cupid),a harmless one as long as you are not some kinda furniture.
    anyway, what I believe is he wasn't treated as he treated others..and what I see and read most of the time,is nothing he deserved after all that happiness he gave us..I know how much I owe him..

Yes ........

Jess

Too Much Monkey Business Jumpsuit Junkie's Avatar
    Just to give a Real balanced view if Elvis had written a book such as this, would he be forgiven? My point is Elvis is just as human as Sonny.

I find it inexplicable that so much hate and bile is levelled at Sonny yes he wrote a book, and very probably for all the wrong reasons, however, given the same set of circumstances many of us would find ourselves falling short. Quite why people feel able to judge Sonny based on a book sensationalised by some scumbag co-writer 30 odd years ago makes me shudder.

We have all done things in haste and had plenty of time to repent at leisure, I have seen many interviews with Sonny putting a very positive side to Elvis, I have no reason to believe that Sonny hated Elvis, he just felt after years of loyal service that he should have been treated differently, loyalty works both ways, respect works both ways, you cannot treat people in a certain way and expect them not to feel hurt or react (rightly or wrongly) to a perceived injustice. If Sonny thought he was going to be re-hired shortly after being fired would he have written a book?

It seems to me from what I have read in this thread (and others) that the people around Elvis e.g. Priscilla, Parker, the MM all get measured by a totally different criteria to Elvis, That Elvis is somehow exempt from being scrutinised in the same way. Hero worship is a dangerous path to take. **News Alert** Elvis was capable of saying and doing bad things! Some day someone might judge us in the same way as Sonny, heaven forbid

Too Much Monkey Business Jumpsuit Junkie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jess View Post
    Well, I would have.

That's all required by law, two weeks notice. They were employees, afterall.

Are you in business for yourself?
    The above statement is just cold, they were more than employees! If this is the mentality that was used by Elvis and Vernon, then surely they shouldn't have expected any loyalty from employees who had worked for them for 20 years and just cut loose like that.

Again, if Elvis was treated this way would that be acceptable?

TCB Mafia
    Quote Originally Posted by Jumpsuit Junkie View Post
    The above statement is just cold, they were more than employees! If this is the mentality that was used by Elvis and Vernon, then surely they shouldn't have expected any loyalty from employees who had worked for them for 20 years and just cut loose like that.

Again, if Elvis was treated this way would that be acceptable?

Let me throw some words around. Drugs, attempted rape, plus others.

"It seems to me from what I have read in this thread (and others) that the people around Elvis e.g. Priscilla, Parker, the MM all get measured by a totally different criteria to Elvis, That Elvis is somehow exempt from being scrutinised in the same way. Hero worship is a dangerous path to take. **News Alert** Elvis was capable of saying and doing bad things! Some day someone might judge us in the same way as Sonny, heaven forbid"

This is the message I have always tried to convey here on this board.Youre statement is 100% accurate.Everybody has a good and bad side including Elvis.Elvis had a wicked temper.He could be the biggest jerk of them all at times.That shouldnt surprise or upset anyone.My wife will say the same thing about me from time to time.He was no different than anyone else.He put his pants on one leg at a time.Many fans refuse to believe that no matter what they say.
    Jak

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast