Thread: Elvis on vinyl

Elvis on vinyl

Last week someone gave me an old turntable and a few lp's.Well I hooked up everything and threw on an Elvis christmas LP that was in the collection.Boy I am here to tell you the sound quality out of vinyl is so superior to cd's its not funny.
    I grew up in the 70's but listening to records but moved over to cd's and threw away all my records.Now after 30 years I'm moving back,the richness and fullness of Elvis's voice on vinyl is outstanding and even though its good in digital format you can't compare it to the analog sound.

I know many people who would agree with you.Years ago I had a good Denon turntable and a Bang & Olfusen.The sound quality was very full and rich as you said.For me it's just the convenience of cd's that drew me away from my vinyl.Im moving to a new house now and everyday I look over at the several hundred Elvis lp's gathering dust and I wonder why I still have them.I havent played a lp in many years and probably never will.
    Jak

So true. My husband bought me a whole new stereo system a couple years back that included a turntable...... luckily I still have about 25 albums....... I have a couple of Elvis' Christmas albums, and regular albums. I had 45's....... and I got rid of them all............ uuuggg.... I'm on the search for them all again....... especially Moody Blue Album - just unique. Why is it that we get rid of things when we are young and then when we're older we're like......WHAT WAS I THINKING????? lol

Anyway, back to the point - I agree!!!
    "We're lost in a cloud, with too much rain ~ We're trapped in a world, That's troubled with pain.....But as long as a man has the strength to dream.... He can redeem his soul and fly"

Quote Originally Posted by elvisfan4life View Post
    So true. My husband bought me a whole new stereo system a couple years back that included a turntable...... luckily I still have about 25 albums....... I have a couple of Elvis' Christmas albums, and regular albums. I had 45's....... and I got rid of them all............ uuuggg.... I'm on the search for them all again....... especially Moody Blue Album - just unique. Why is it that we get rid of things when we are young and then when we're older we're like......WHAT WAS I THINKING????? lol

Anyway, back to the point - I agree!!!
    I guess I have kept mine just for sentimental reasons.There was nothing like getting a new Elvis lp back in the old days.Holding a new cd just cant match it.That Moody Blue lp can be found on ebay all the time for a cheap price.
    Jak

Quote Originally Posted by jak View Post
    I guess I have kept mine just for sentimental reasons.There was nothing like getting a new Elvis lp back in the old days.Holding a new cd just cant match it.That Moody Blue lp can be found on ebay all the time for a cheap price.
    Jak
    I've had bad luck buying lps on ebay - they've been scratched, played too much......... i've bought cds and received the wrong thing........ and these are sellers that are rated excellent.......

I agree a new cd doesn't even come close to the new albums when they came out - especially if it was a double album set. We used to get Elvis' small pocket yearly calendar too, but with me being young, I threw those away each year - but I still have my 1977 mini calendar where he's wearing the black studded jumpsuit.
    "We're lost in a cloud, with too much rain ~ We're trapped in a world, That's troubled with pain.....But as long as a man has the strength to dream.... He can redeem his soul and fly"

International Level Suspicious Minds's Avatar
    I have over 300 Elvis vinyl records. When the CD's started I stopped playing my vinyl collection because the player was going wrong. I still look for a CD player recorder with Turntable. Some are expensive to buy. I miss playing my Elvis boxsets.
    Frank

Every man has a flaming star

Vinyls if you got the right sound sistem, they sound way better than a CD, also I have found the old Cassette tapes have a warmer richer bass sound than the CDs, now I feel, CDs suck lol.

International Level thehillbillycat's Avatar
    Yes, LPs do sound better because they wasn't digitally enhanced at all. It is the pure sound itself. When transfer to CD, the CD will lose some of the sound from the original source. Listen to Aloha From Hawaii LP then listen to the same CD that came out in 1992. You can tell the differences.

Yea, I think for conveniece a Cd is the way to go or even better the flash memory of an Ipod.However the transfer from analog to vinyl loses some of that true sound. The lp's just seem richer and for their age they are unbeleivable.
    One more thing I have noticed ,if you scratch a record you can hear the scratch but scratch a cd and it often won't play

Quote Originally Posted by Supertigre View Post
    Last week someone gave me an old turntable and a few lp's.Well I hooked up everything and threw on an Elvis christmas LP that was in the collection.Boy I am here to tell you the sound quality out of vinyl is so superior to cd's its not funny.
    I grew up in the 70's but listening to records but moved over to cd's and threw away all my records.Now after 30 years I'm moving back,the richness and fullness of Elvis's voice on vinyl is outstanding and even though its good in digital format you can't compare it to the analog sound.
    1st post on this forum, it had to do with LPs.
    I also grew up listening to LPs and when the cds came along I just forgot about LPs. I had many Elvis LPs but they were badly damaged (I was kinda young and didn't take care of it) and since I put every cover on the walls of my room well the LPs were left without any covers. Two years ago I decided to find all the Elvis LPs I had when I was younger because I wanted to hear his voice on vinyl. Nothing like listening to his older records in mono. Basically I like listening to older music in LP format.

Quote Originally Posted by elvisfan4life View Post
    I've had bad luck buying lps on ebay - they've been scratched, played too much......... i've bought cds and received the wrong thing........ and these are sellers that are rated excellent.......
    ebay is ok but not great, I prefer GEMM when it comes to buying LPs or cds. When a seller is rated excellent they usually are. Most of my Elvis LPs that I've bought in the last two years come GEMM's sellers.

Oh yes! I bought an Elvis LP yesterday (G I Blues) in good condition from a second hand record store and they have heaps of others so I'm going to go back, cashed up to get a few more. I love vinyl.

The thing is that I had never actually held an Elvis album in my hands before.

re

I bought my first LP a year ago,and bought after that more LP's,just because of Elvis voice. it's so much stronger on LP's...i really love that
    I'd like to go to Graceland
    Memphis,Tennessee

Southeastern Portion of These Here United States
    I personally love the artwork for the lp's, mainly because of their "large size."

Too bad they don't put out as many of these special versions as they once did.
    "Don't tamper with the property of the U.S. Male"

Vinyl Records FOREVER!! I still have all the vinyls and still collect them. Of course I have alot of Cds because of the unreleased sons never found on the Vinyls.
    Sheila

Can't beat Vinyl don't have all mine now, ex kept them when we parted but love the ones I have.Also collected the British singles that came out last year on vinyl they are C L....