Thread: Current US Album total

Current US Album total

Has anyone heard if Elvis's total US album total is still at 117.5 million?
    I read that Garth Brooks had a push this last year to regain the title of best selling solo artist in the US and he was not far behind Elvis's total.

Coming On Strong
    According to the RIAA Garth is only 2.5million behind Elvis. Elvis is on 118.5million and Brooks is on 116 million.
    TCBEP

I want to entertain people. That's my whole life. To my last breath.
    Elvis Presley (1935 - 1977)

THat's Rock And Roll With Country, Blues And Gospal, Brooks Is All Country some Gopsal ?
    Too Me That's good for both artist no one not past Elvis as best Solo Artist In USA, not In My Life time
    Take a look at you and me,,Are we too blind to see, Do we Simply turn our heads and look the other way.....(Line From "in The Ghetto")

I think it's safe to say that Elvis' total of U.S. album sales is much higher, this has been an on going debate for the last several years. The sales from his death along were phenominal! I know, I was 18 years old at the time and every LP from here to Timbuck two was sold out as the RCA plant worked around the clock to keep up with the demand. Unfortunately, tallies were never properly kept, thus there is no real record of sales, but best guesses were around 100 million LP sales at the time of his death, if not more! That's right folks, 100 million!

In the 50s keeping artists and there managers from getting proper royalties was a way of life, that coupled with much poorer record keeping in general makes his 50s & early 60s count in doubt. As for the time after his death I recall an article saying back then that 30 million records were sold in the first month after his death so it seems 100 million is very possible for 77-78. Plus if an album has sales of 499, 999 it does not count. Until that count hits certification status those numbers are non existent to the RIAA. With all the reissues over 30 years how many millions are not in the total because they only sold below certification.
    Brooks had the album lead from about 97 until 2002 when BMG/EPE began to get serious in finding Elvis's true sales totals.

Totals

There is absolutely no way Garth Brooks could have sold more records than Elvis. Perhaps Brooks is the biggest-selling country artist, but overall it's got to be Elvis.

I've seen both Billy Joel and Elton John listed as the biggest-selling artists, but they were probably for specific categories.

And why on earth would anybody want a Garth Brooks record anyway??

UGH!

Garth Brooks has gone on record saying pretty much that everybody knows Elvis is the biggest selling solo artist of all-time, with Elvis and the Beatles supposedly close for top overall.

Quote Originally Posted by KPM View Post
    In the 50s keeping artists and there managers from getting proper royalties was a way of life, that coupled with much poorer record keeping in general makes his 50s & early 60s count in doubt. As for the time after his death I recall an article saying back then that 30 million records were sold in the first month after his death so it seems 100 million is very possible for 77-78. Plus if an album has sales of 499, 999 it does not count. Until that count hits certification status those numbers are non existent to the RIAA. With all the reissues over 30 years how many millions are not in the total because they only sold below certification.
    Brooks had the album lead from about 97 until 2002 when BMG/EPE began to get serious in finding Elvis's true sales totals.
    There are still a ton of sales unaccounted for, geeze, I wonder why?

What about Michael Jackson? He recently got the Diamond Award for "Thriller" selling 100 million albums. "Bad" and "Dangerous" also sold many million each. From the places I've read Michael Jackson has been first then Elvis, then The Beatles.
    Elliot

International Level thehillbillycat's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by EP6873 View Post
    What about Michael Jackson? He recently got the Diamond Award for "Thriller" selling 100 million albums. "Bad" and "Dangerous" also sold many million each. From the places I've read Michael Jackson has been first then Elvis, then The Beatles.

Funny, Very Funny. Diamond award only means that you selling a album 1,000,000 times. Those you name is the few that sold a million.
    Elvis sold way more records than Michael. I believe Michael is in the top 25 as a solo artist. Of both solo and group Michael is in the top 30.

Garth Brooks did sell more than Elvis but since his retirement his number went from one to where ever it is now. So Elvis is back in number 1. Billy Joel and Elton John are consider as Rock stars and they haven' sold more than Elvis either even though they are good musicians in their own ways.

Quote Originally Posted by EP6873 View Post
    I'm sure the 100 million figure is for supposed "World wide sales totals" not US totals alone.
    Michael Jackson is listed pretty far down the list for US album sales with 60.5 million at the RIAA site. The RIAA is the only association who officially keeps track of documented record sales. here is the definition of what a Diamond award is for:A Diamond Record is the award given to a performing artist (typically musical artist) for the sale of ten million units of records, CDs, or cassettes through legal distribution sources. The Diamond Record award was created in 1998 as the industry saw the sales of individual singles and albums reaching ten million units. The Gold Record is awarded for the sales of 500,000 units and the Platinum Record is awarded for the sales of one million units of an album or single.

i heard back in the 80s that Elvis had sold a billion records and i believe that to be true.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Car View Post
    I think it's safe to say that Elvis' total of U.S. album sales is much higher, this has been an on going debate for the last several years. The sales from his death along were phenominal! I know, I was 18 years old at the time and every LP from here to Timbuck two was sold out as the RCA plant worked around the clock to keep up with the demand. Unfortunately, tallies were never properly kept, thus there is no real record of sales, but best guesses were around 100 million LP sales at the time of his death, if not more! That's right folks, 100 million!
    After His Death That happened for week so.
    Take a look at you and me,,Are we too blind to see, Do we Simply turn our heads and look the other way.....(Line From "in The Ghetto")

Quote Originally Posted by srj1967 View Post
    And why on earth would anybody want a Garth Brooks record anyway??

UGH!
    I agree. I live in Oklahoma and I do not like Garth. I know, I know. Shame on me. But it is the truth! Elvis is #1
    America has contributed four things to the world that are really unique: Baseball, Coca-Cola, Mickey Mouse and Elvis Presley. And only one of them is human - - Jerry Hopkins - "Elvis" - A Biography.

What about the Elvis music you can buy on-line, does that count? It should.

Cadillac King
    I think he had already sold about half a billion records worldwide at the time of his death. Surely must be a billion now
    sincerely, Scott, a 15 year old Elvis fan

prayers to Jackie my auntie in law, and R.I.P Charlie Hodge, both victims of cancer