Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Substitute Artists

Southeastern Portion of These Here United States

Question Substitute Artists

Does anyone know if Elvis ever have a list of people that were identified as back-ups, or to be used as substitutes just in case someone in the band could not perform in a show while on tour?

I have osometimes wondered what would have happened if say, for example, James Burton or Jerry Cheff had some sort of emergency prior to a show and could not perform with the band.
    "Don't tamper with the property of the U.S. Male"

Talking

thats a intresting question big boss and id love to here an answer....

*song comes to aron's head,he starts singing: 'such an easy question why cant i get an answer' not a pretty sight me singing )

take a look at the tcb band in late 1976 and early 1977..
    Mister Hardin was replaced sometimes, Mister Tutt replaced by Larry Londin, The stamps quartet was changing all the time.
    The list can go on and on..i think the only person there wasn't a back-up for was Mister Burton ( the band leader)
    And Mister Hodge should have been replaced for mic. standard..
    No only kidding, i think Hodge was the motor on stage, the man did really everything on stage!

Southeastern Portion of These Here United States
    I recall an occasion in Las Vegas, December 1975, where Ronnie Tutt had to miss a show because his wife was having a baby (I think this was the reason) and the drummer for the Sweet Inspirations filled in for him.
    "Don't tamper with the property of the U.S. Male"

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick
    And Mister Hodge should have been replaced for mic. standard..
    No only kidding, i think Hodge was the motor on stage, the man did really everything on stage!
    I'm sorry but in my opinion you give him too much credit....Sometimes he was in place,But most of the time he was just an on stage waiter...And I know Charlie likes to think he WAS that important, and that also works against him.... But that's just MINE opinion....But then.....Sometimes he was in place I'll admit that much.....

Steve
    The only thing i can say is that James B. and John W. Never mist 1 concert with Elvis.
    They did them all from 1969 till 1977.

I will sorte this out by the end of the week i give some more......

(h)

With Elvis On Tour!!! Jungleroom76's Avatar
    Interesting topic Big Boss!!

As far as the TCB Band is concerned, here is what I have at the moment:

James Burton & John Wilkinson NEVER missed a single show!! They performed with Elvis in all 1,106 shows (that is the number that EPE lists as the number of concerts Elvis gave from '69 - '77) that Elvis gave from '69 - '77! I am pretty sure that Charlie Hodge also never missed a show (although I have to agree with Elvos that Charlie, while I am sure he was a signifcant part of the Elvis Presley Show, does give himself a little too much credit, in my opinion).

Ronnie Tutt played on MOST of Elvis' concert dates, although he was occassionally replaced for various reasons by Larry Londin, Bob Lanning, and the drummer from the Sweet Inspirations (as Big Boss has already pointed out).

Jerry Scheff was with the band until sometime in mid-'73 and then left the band until mid-to-late '75. During the time he was away, Jerry was replaced by either Emory Gordy or Duke Bardwell.

Larry Muhoberac was the original piano player in '69, but then Glen Hardin came in during 1970 and was with Elvis until late '75. Once he left, he was replaced by Shane Keister and Tony Brown (I am also thinking there might have been another one or two piano players in here as well, but their names escape me at the moment).

Later in the 70's, Elvis began using a keyboard player (I think starting in '76) and it was either David Briggs or Bobby Ogdin.

As for the back-up vocalists, The Sweet Inspirations (comprised of various members) never missed a show. The Imperials provided the male back-up vocals until late '71, I believe. Then, it was J.D. Sumner & The Stamps from then on. Millie Kirkham originally provided the "high voice singing" from '69 through '71 (I think it was '71) and then Kathy Westmoreland joined the group. And, of course, Elvis used Voice starting in '74 and eventually they disbanded, but Shaun (Sherill) Nielsen stayed with Elvis until the end of his life.

As for orchestra conductors, it was Bobby Morris and then Joe Guercio.

I think that is everybody...as I said, that's what I have....hopefully all my facts are straight for the most part....I just kind of wrote this off the top of my head, so please feel free to add/correct anything I have written here...just want to be sure I have all my facts straight!

TCB!
    Mike

TCB-World...OPEN for business!!!

From Elvis Presley Blvd Lonniebealestreet's Avatar
    Excellent recall, Mike. Don't try and tell me you looked any of that up, because I know you didn't!

One detail I'm not sure about is when Kathy Westmoreland joined up. I want to say that she came around in August 1970, just after filming wrapped for TTWII. I believe it was Elvis who wanted Millie Kirkham to stay around for that before she departed. I could be mistaken though.
    ...you won't forget me when I go.

With Elvis On Tour!!! Jungleroom76's Avatar
    THANK YOU for the kind words and faith in my ability to recall these things....actually, I was kind of surprised myself as I was typing my post that everything just kind of fell into place....I really didn't have to look anything up for a change (which is good, since all of my Elvis books are packed now!!)

I could be wrong about when Kathy joined the group....I thought it was in '71, but it could have been late '70. As I said, if anyone has anything to add/change/correct regarding my information, please don't hesitate to do so....I certainly don't want to give out bad/erroneous information!!

THANKS AGAIN for the kind words buddy!! Always appreciate your faith in me!!

TCB!
    Mike

TCB-World...OPEN for business!!!

From Elvis Presley Blvd Lonniebealestreet's Avatar
    I knew it! You're welcome.
    ...you won't forget me when I go.

Thanks for sharing all info Jungleroom76, i love to hear all the musicians, how they play and so on

Here is a list of all musicians:

Percussion
    Bob Lanning
    Larrie Londin
    Jerome Munroe
    Ronnie Tutt
    Bass guitar
    Duke Bardwell
    Emory Gordy
    Jerry Scheff
    Guitars
    James Burton (Lead)
    John Wilkinson (Rythmn)
    Electric piano
    David Briggs
    Bobby Ogden
    Piano
    Tony Brown
    Glen D. Hardin
    Shane Keister
    Larry Mohuberac
    Vocals (groups)
    The Blossoms
    The Imperials
    The Stamps
    The Sweet Inspirations
    Voice
    Vocals (individuals)
    Charlie Hodge
    Mildred (Milly) Kirkham
    Sherrill Nielsen
    J.D. Sumner
    Kathy Westmoreland
    Conductors
    Joe Guercio
    Bobby morris

I think this should be all of them
    Last edited by toffe; 11-07-2007 at 01:15 AM.
    Taking Care of Business
    Til we meet you again, may God bless you, Adios.

Too Much Monkey Business Jumpsuit Junkie's Avatar
    It is just so cool when an old thread like this pops up, it just shows you what information is out there and when it resurfaces it's still as fresh and informative as it was 4 years ago

re

Quote Originally Posted by Jumpsuit Junkie View Post
    It is just so cool when an old thread like this pops up, it just shows you what information is out there and when it resurfaces it's still as fresh and informative as it was 4 years ago
    You're right
    Every day you keep learning and learning
    I'd like to go to Graceland
    Memphis,Tennessee

Ohh....07-26-2004, 05:20 AM!
    Haha, i saw it now!
    Taking Care of Business
    Til we meet you again, may God bless you, Adios.

Conductors

You forgot Joe Malin.

He led the Joe Malin Orchestra for the four Madison Square Garden shows. Joe Guercio and his orchestra did not play on the June 9th to 11th, 1972 shows.

And for the younger fans who may not know, there was no orchestra at all during the Houston Astrodome shows in 1970. Just Elvis and the TCB band up on that revolving stage, miles away from the audience.
    Last edited by Getlo; 11-07-2007 at 07:49 AM.
    Getlo - cute'n'cuddly

Loving elvis
    Thanks for posting.

Quote Originally Posted by Getlo View Post
    And for the younger fans who may not know, there was no orchestra at all during the Houston Astrodome shows in 1970. Just Elvis and the TCB band up on that revolving stage, miles away from the audience.
    This was also the case for the March 1974 Astrodome concert wasn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by ruggishboo View Post
    This was also the case for the March 1974 Astrodome concert wasn't it?
    Yep, forgot to mention them ...
    Getlo - cute'n'cuddly

Having been to the Astrodome I can tell you it was not a great place for any musical event. It echoed horridly-the sound was almost wave like when I was there.

Elvis Presley Blvd Unchained Melody's Avatar
    Kathy Westmoreland was with the group during that first real tour in September/November of 1970 wasn't she?
    "How do I get placed in situations like this? Ah hell, I guess it's all part of showbusiness "~ Elvis in his limo on his way to perform in Omaha, NE on June 19th 1977

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast