Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Elvis's Guitar From 1957

Quote Originally Posted by Elvislennon2004 View Post
    Found a little info on J-45. One of my source say it is the same guitar that was used in the all the movies it appeared in. J-45 was redone sometime between the year of 1967 and 1968. It says that only minor chances was done which included a new head piece. But it says that it is indeed the same guitar. My source shows a picture of Elvis holding the guitar on the set of Loving You. Then it shows a picture of it from the Trouble With Girls with Elvis holding the guitar and the J-200 right by him. But it does say it is the same guitar that was used in all of the movies it appears in.

But the source doesn't say why it was redone.
    Wow, is that from a book? I'd love to know where you got that.

International Level thehillbillycat's Avatar
    I have a bunch of papers that I got off a guy who did amazign research for me about two years ago. These papers are one of a kind since it is done in my friend's writing. To comfirm this he gave me the books that they came from and it match up. The book it comes from is a book about guitars. It tells who played the type of guitar and if the artist had more than guitar model. Example: It shows that Elvis had two J-200 guitars. Well, It does this. The original is listed as J-200 but the second one is listed as J-200-II meaning that this is a completely different guitar than the original but it is the same model.
    Ok, for J-45 it doesn't list a second or more copies of it so it means he only had one guitar of this model. It tells only a handful of the shows that he used this guitar for. It also listed what movies this guitar was in if the artist was in a movie. Which we all know that Elvis was a movie star. It says that the guitar was redone sometime between 1967 to 1968. Reasons: unknown.

That is what I am going by here. The info is from a book call Guitars and their artists.

Mad Tigers
    Elvis had two guitars with leather covers. One was a Gibson J 200 and the other was a Martin D 18. The one in the movie Loving You is the same one that can be seen throughout the sixties and it is the same guitar that he uses in the '68 comeback special and he continued to use it until the day he died. The J 200 was sent in to have Elvis written on the fretboard shortly after the 1968 Comeback Special. Elvis had seen Glen Campbell had his name written on his guitar and liked the look of it so he had it done himself. When it was sent in the guy that made the changes changed the pick guard as well because he thought the design suited Elvis. Elvis agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by vinceeverrette View Post
    Elvis had two guitars with leather covers. One was a Gibson J 200 and the other was a Martin D 18. The one in the movie Loving You is the same one that can be seen throughout the sixties and it is the same guitar that he uses in the '68 comeback special and he continued to use it until the day he died. The J 200 was sent in to have Elvis written on the fretboard shortly after the 1968 Comeback Special. Elvis had seen Glen Campbell had his name written on his guitar and liked the look of it so he had it done himself. When it was sent in the guy that made the changes changed the pick guard as well because he thought the design suited Elvis. Elvis agreed.
    I'm sorry to correct you vinceeverett but the J-200 got Elvis' name on the fret board in 1960. That was when this guitar was costumized. The J-200 you see in Loving you is not the same as in the 1968 Comeback Special. The one you see in the 1968 Comeback Special is the 1960 replacement. If you had taken the time to read this thread befor you replied you would have known.

International Level Suspicious Minds's Avatar
    Here's photo with name on guitar from after Wild In The Country I think.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Wild 1.jpg  
    Frank

Every man has a flaming star

This picture belongs to a set of promo pictures from Wild in the Country.

International Level thehillbillycat's Avatar
    Gibson J-200 was sent in in 1960 just three weeks after he came back from the army. The guitar was redone with a somewhat new look which includes his name in capital letter on the fret board. There was two ideas for this guitar before the final that is seen. Idea one feature J-200 with a total new look which includes his name on the pickguard and not on the fret board. Idea two was the one that was used and is seen in several photos and in the movie TTWII. But the original guitar was misplace and a replacement was sent in its place. The replacement was only seen a few times. It is mostly remember being the guitar that was seen in ELVIS a.k.a. The 68 Comeback Special. The original guitar was found sometime before Wild In The Country and sent to Elvis because of the several pictures of Elvis with that guitar with his name on the fret board. Their is some photos that has Elvis holding the guitar on the set of Flaming Star but the guitar was not seen in the movie. The guitar didn't even have his name on the fret board so clearly it was the replacement that is seen in the photos taken on the Flaming Star set.

All info is provided by the same place that I found on the J-45 guitar. Which was mostly told on here except for a few details which I added from my source.

Quote Originally Posted by Elvislennon2004 View Post
    Gibson J-200 was sent in in 1960 just three weeks after he came back from the army. The guitar was redone with a somewhat new look which includes his name in capital letter on the fret board. There was two ideas for this guitar before the final that is seen. Idea one feature J-200 with a total new look which includes his name on the pickguard and not on the fret board. Idea two was the one that was used and is seen in several photos and in the movie TTWII. But the original guitar was misplace and a replacement was sent in its place. The replacement was only seen a few times. It is mostly remember being the guitar that was seen in ELVIS a.k.a. The 68 Comeback Special. The original guitar was found sometime before Wild In The Country and sent to Elvis because of the several pictures of Elvis with that guitar with his name on the fret board. Their is some photos that has Elvis holding the guitar on the set of Flaming Star but the guitar was not seen in the movie. The guitar didn't even have his name on the fret board so clearly it was the replacement that is seen in the photos taken on the Flaming Star set.

All info is provided by the same place that I found on the J-45 guitar. Which was mostly told on here except for a few details which I added from my source.
    It would be great if you can scan and post some of the photos you are talking about as well as the author and publishing company of the book you are telling us.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123