Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Elvis's Guitar From 1957

International Level Suspicious Minds's Avatar

Elvis's Guitar From 1957

When did Elvis stop using this guitar?
    Is it the same guitar from 1957 Loving You?
    I know it has not got his name on that one.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 70 ttwii.jpg  
    Frank

Every man has a flaming star

International Level thehillbillycat's Avatar
    The that he used in Loving You when he first sung Loving You is the same guitar the he used in the 1976 shows. As the one you asking about I am not for sure.

Good reads here. Seems that he had two of them and when the first was sent to Gibson to be fixed they just sent him a brand new guitar.

http://www.scottymoore.net/56J200.html

http://www.scottymoore.net/60J200.html

Quote Originally Posted by supertwangreverb View Post
    Good reads here. Seems that he had two of them and when the first was sent to Gibson to be fixed they just sent him a brand new guitar.

http://www.scottymoore.net/56J200.html

http://www.scottymoore.net/60J200.html

That guitar was also seen in The Trouble With Girls.

Quote Originally Posted by Elvislennon2004 View Post
    That guitar was also seen in The Trouble With Girls.
    Where in Trouble with Girls? I thought by then they would have stopped using any of Elvis' personal belongings in movies. I know Col. Parker had it written in the contracts that none of Elvis' clothes could be worn in a movie, and this included wrist watches.

I'd love to see a picture of it being used as late as '76 as well.

In 1956 Scotty Moore gave Elvis his first gibson J-200, it was a '56 model, that's the guitar he used in Loving You and latter used in all his '57 live performances with a cool leather cover. In '60 that guitar was refurbished and became the one with the mod pickguard and his name in pearloid inlays, so the '56 J-200 he used live in '57 is the same he used latter in his live performances during '69 and '70.

A new '60 J-200 model was given to him in '60 and is the one we saw in G.I. Blues, Tickle Me and the '68 comback special, and in some performances in '69 and the Sep tour '70. It was not used in other movies neither live after probably '71.

The guitar Elvislennon is pointing is antoher guitar Elvis used in the first part of loving You, Im trying to get more info about that one, I think is the same he used on many other '60 movies, like Girls, Girls, Girls, the one it appears in the cover of the Devil in Desguise single. As far as I know this wasn't used live during the 70's.

I'm doing a research about all the guitars used by Presley, maybe you can take a look in that thread and help me out, its called: The guitars of Elvis Presley, heres the link:

http://www.tcb-world.com/showthread.php?t=11525
    Last edited by Raised on Rock; 03-14-2007 at 01:35 PM.

Maybe that "movie" J200 is the same j200 in Tickle Me as well. Interesting...

Elvis Presley Blvd Unchained Melody's Avatar
    Very intertesting information Raised On Rock.

Would really like to know more about Elvis using the same guitar from '57 Loving You movie in 1976 concerts .
    "How do I get placed in situations like this? Ah hell, I guess it's all part of showbusiness "~ Elvis in his limo on his way to perform in Omaha, NE on June 19th 1977

The guitar Elvis is using in Loving You is a Gibson J-45. This one would feature in a lot of Elvis movies such as Jailhouse Rock, Blue Hawaii and Girls! Girls! Girls!. Sometimes an almost similar guitar was used only with a smaller body. That was a Gibson LG-1. This last one was also seen in the scene where Elvis was trown into the swimming pool in Viva Las Vegas.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails J-45.jpg   Gibson LG-1.jpg  

And here is the guitar Elvis used in "Roustabout", a Harmony Monterey.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Vintage Harmony Monterey (01).jpg  

And in the 1967 picture "Speedway" Elvis can be seen playing a Fender Coronado II.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails a_8479782313563_1.jpg   a_8479782313563_2.jpg   a_8479782313563_3.jpg  

a_8479782313563_4.jpg   a_8479782313563_8.jpg   Fender Coronado II (02).jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Leroy View Post
    The guitar Elvis is using in Loving You is a Gibson J-45. This one would feature in a lot of Elvis movies such as Jailhouse Rock, Blue Hawaii and Girls! Girls! Girls!. Sometimes an almost similar guitar was used only with a smaller body. That was a Gibson LG-1. This last one was also seen in the scene where Elvis was trown into the swimming pool in Viva Las Vegas.
    Elvis did have a J200 in Loving You. It comes along later in the movie.

The LG1 or LG2 was used in Viva Las Vegas, Girl Happy, and It Happened at the World's Fair. There were atleast two of those LG1s or LG2s because I've seen a behind the scenes picture from one of those movies and Elvis and Red are both playing LGs.

Maybe that "movie" J200 is the same j200 in Tickle Me as well. Interesting...
    The 1960 that apeared in Tickle Me is the same of G.I. Blues or the '68 Comback, not a chance of being the J200 he used during the 50's.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheif77 View Post
    Very intertesting information Raised On Rock.

Would really like to know more about Elvis using the same guitar from '57 Loving You movie in 1976 concerts .
    That never happened, if the '56 J-200 was refurbished and became the Mod custom J-200 we saw Elvis using in TTWII, Elvis used it in Stage for the last time in '71. If they actually deliver another guitar, then the only concert Elvis gave in '58 was the last time Elvis used his 1956 J-200 in public.

If you are talking about the Gibson LG-1 or the J-45, Elvis never used any of those On Stage as far as I know.

Quote Originally Posted by Leroy View Post
    Leroy thanks for delivering more info about Elvis guitars.

International Level Suspicious Minds's Avatar
    Thanks for the info.
    Frank

Every man has a flaming star

Elvis Presley Blvd Unchained Melody's Avatar
    Great info Leroy. Thanks for those pics, and the info to go along with them .
    "How do I get placed in situations like this? Ah hell, I guess it's all part of showbusiness "~ Elvis in his limo on his way to perform in Omaha, NE on June 19th 1977

Where in Trouble with Girls? I thought by then they would have stopped using any of Elvis' personal belongings in movies. I know Col. Parker had it written in the contracts that none of Elvis' clothes could be worn in a movie, and this included wrist watches.

I'd love to see a picture of it being used as late as '76 as well.

Guitar that was used in the Trouble With Girls is the one he uses during the scene where he is on stage and playing Clean Up Your Own Backyard. I believe that is the guitar I am thinking of. Because I read it in a book that the guitar was used in several movies over his movie career but not alot of those movies.
    Last edited by thehillbillycat; 03-15-2007 at 04:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Elvislennon2004 View Post
    Guitar that was used in the Trouble With Girls is the one he uses during the scene where he is on stage and playing Clean Up Your Own Backyard. I believe that is the guitar I am thinking of. Because I read it in a book that the guitar was used in several movies over his movie career but not alot of those movies.
    That is not a j200 in that scene.

I posted a picture of The Trouble With Girls and if this is the scene you are referring to than than the guitar is the Gibson J-45.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails trouble-07.jpg  
    Last edited by Leroy; 03-16-2007 at 03:01 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast