11 8.21%
  • 6 out of 10

11 8.21%
  • 8 out of 10

33 24.63%
  • 10 out of 10

75 55.97%
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Royal Blue Fireworks (aka) Owl Jumpsuit (1972)

Re: Royal Blue Fireworks (aka) Owl Jumpsuit (1972)

I dream a world where man no other man
    will scorn. Where LOVE will bless the earth
    and peace its paths adorn...

three more
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails owlsuit.jpg   owl3.jpg   owl.jpg  

I never looked for trouble but I never ran.

Backstage Pass

I did take a photo with flash and the suit is still purple.

Also, why is there no cape on display? That could very well prove the true color of this suit, because capes aren't washed.

Here a pic I took of the lucky suit. You can see the purple discolored part and the part underneath the collar which was shielded from light. That still looks blue.
    I believe the royal BLUE fireworks was originally the same color. It wasn't called the PURPLE fireworks.
    Last edited by merry77; 11-11-2012 at 02:13 PM.

Backstage Pass

the reason your pic shows the purple is because the suit was blue to begin with and the white is making the blue appear light purple. Elvis's suit was a dark plum eggplant purple it's on rareelvispresley.com under belts and cape. pan all the way to almost the end and you see a picture caption from vegas with his colored suits. 4th picture down is the real purple egeplant color. the names of the suits were mostly fan given names and they called it blue because it appeared blue in pictures and the on tour movie. i also believed the suit was actually a dark navy Blue until i saw that picture. the proof of the suit color is Why would they have made a royal blue suit with a purple belt ? it was always purple and just faded is why. I also would Love to see the original Cape. maybe if one day a star from the suit came off we all could see that the suit is still purple underneath. my guess is also elvis only wore this suit a couple of times and the Red suit also because he didnt really like the colors, he prefered white ( which are actually cream coloered ).

Backstage Pass

I would love to ask one of the band members what the suit color really was, im sure they remember . but until then it is a great discussion. this is all in good spirits to, i like to hear and know i'm not the only one in search of the truth : )

Backstage Pass

discussion is good, as long as people respect eachother and their opinions and try to do the discussion with facts or other types of evidence. Only that way we can solve this mystery.

And it is a mystery that needs solving I totally agree.
    How do you explain the color of the suit in daylight when Elvis walks into the building (footage of This is Elvis)?
    It definitely looks blue there.

On that picture you refer to on rareelvispresley, you can see that the belt is indeed a bit purple, BUT also that the suit is lighter blue and not purple the way it is now.
    Anybody have a larger version of that photo?

If you match the color of the present day suit and belt on the belt in this photo then you can compare the color of the present day suit with the one on the photo in Vegas. Lighting then has no impact since you are using one and the same color base for the belt.
    For that I would need a larger version of that photo.

It sure would be interesting to see what the bandmembers have to say.
    Last edited by merry77; 11-12-2012 at 01:39 PM.

Backstage Pass

That's the wrong photo, the photo is 4 th picture on the left in the picture caption on rareelvispresley, its dark purple, and the photo below it is the back of the owl cape which almost looks green. so there are 3 pictures of the same suit that look 3 different colors. its the lighting and flash bulbs that make it look blue in pictures. the real color purple was taken with little flash and almost natural lighting. the same happened to the blue nail suit in that caption with the white belt. the photo next to the one you have posted is the blue nail original color and you see the other pics make it look light blue, how people see it in pictures and the on tour movie. but it is a darker color in person.

Backstage Pass

the reason the belt stays purple in photos or most of them is because it is a suede leather not cloth wool/garbadine as the suit was. they wouldn't have made a purple belt for a blue suit , it would have looked more like the blue lucky suit and matched it up, and still would be blue. if you look at the 4th picture of the purple suit both suit and belt are purple. and that is the owl suit because no other suit was in question to be purple.

Backstage Pass

drumzz do you have those photos in larger size? I am still interested to see what will happen if I colormatch the present days suit-belt with this photo.
    You can see that the belt is more purple then the suit.

That other picture you mention has a color balance that is off. Look at the curtains. Totally different color then the rest of the photos. What color are the curtains really?
    If we know the real color of the curtains or the carpet we can color match the rest of the photo and that way restore the true colors. It doesn't matter if there is other lighting, because we have brought the colors back to the default we know the color off.

4th pic
    Look at Elvis' face, he looks like a ghost. The color balance of that 4th picture on the left is way off.

I will try and see what happens if I color match the owl suit to the curtains of the red pinwheel and black butterfly. Those photos seem to have normal color balance.
    Therefore it helps to have larger copies of these photos.
    Anybody who has these?

Backstage Pass

i don't have bigger photos, i wish i could see them also in a bigger picture. i think the chair color is also a clue of the natural color. the chairs in front of him are purple, but the 5th photo on the left of the back of the cape photo they change blue and the suit looks greenish. the same happened to the suit, Red was filtered out with high flash bulbs. the 4th photo is the closest to normal color. the reason is that picture you see its purple, and purple means RED would have had to be added to make it look purple, but the red was filtered out. I think if you go to a pro photo shop or a camera store and ask more about how Red is hard to capture in its true form, and oject and clothing that were purple were hard to capture as purple. you'll get a better idea of what happened to this suit in pictures and on film in the 70's.
    Last edited by drumzz70; 11-13-2012 at 08:43 PM.

Backstage Pass

Okay, please have a look at this clip from This is Elvis.

https://www.wetransfer.com/dl/KRq9rp...d6efed6656c53c

There are no flash photos. It is a filmclip taken by indoor light. You can see that the color of the suit changes from dark blue to lighter blue. Bith the suit and the cape.
    The color of the other persons is normal.
    Hair of Red West is Red and his shirt also shows red in it. That comes out red.

I'm curious as to what you think of the suit in this movieclip.

Backstage Pass

i couldn't view the clip it just showed a music note in the video. i agree red will look red but it won't be true red as it should be or was in person. If its a Film clip from the movie then thats the answer , its a movie and they always have ( indoor lighting or not ) big bright lighting on or around the camera.
    I just want to forget the suit for a second, Lets try to agree on a few things.

do you agree the chairs in the photo's change color from purple to blue ?
    Also do you agree that his red suit is really darker red in true form then in the pictures ? because it was a burgany not bright RED correct ?
    do you agree that his white suits are really cream color off white and not bright white as most pictures would show ?
    And do you agree that the owl suit in the 4th photo in the caption is purple when looking at the photo ?

Backstage Pass

do a web shearch on the question " Why would purple appear blue in photos " and you'll see even today alot of people ask the same question. and most are professional answers. the same happens with movie film and elvis film is from the 70's. the whole reason is you can have 2 objects in front of you that ARE purple and your eyes see them as purple, but then after taking a picture, the camera shows one purple but the other blue. its because the camera can't recognize one of them as purple and will only show blue. it depends on the material and if the camrea with or without flash can pick up the Red to view it as purple. your eyes are far more advanced in regcognizing color then any camera will, especially from the 70's.

Backstage Pass

The video is a quicktime movie. You can play it using Apple quicktime. It is strange, because I didn't get a download confirmation from wetransfer that the file was downloaded.

Yes I agree that the red suit is originally burgundy. I actually have a replica suit that is that exact color so I can adjust the color balance.
    yes I agree that the white suits are off white.
    The chairs I will have to look.

And yes I do think that the bright blue is not the real color of the suit. The suit is darker blue then what comes out on the photos.
    In the movie if you look you can see it is a darker blue, but still blue. Therefore I think it would be good if you are able to view that clip. Because it shows the other people with shirts and clothing in more natural light as opposed to flash photography.

Backstage Pass

I agree it would look dark blue, i always thought it to be a navy blue myself. but the point is purple is red and blue, and Blue is the main color but his color has a red overtone that the cameras didn't recognize and just picked up on the blue. thats why now in graceland and with most non flash cameras it will look purple today, that one photo must have used a filter and acutally showed the pruple in its true color. and now today its just a faded purple like the belt is. the belt mostly stayed purple because the leather behind it acted as a rebound and the camera picked up on it.

Did you do a shearch about Why purple shows up blue in pictures ?

Backstage Pass

Yes I've read that purple shows blue. But today this deals mainly about (flash) photos with digital cameras.
    Back then it was silver nitrate photographic layer. How did THAT react to purple? I couldn't find any information so far if back then they had the same problem as we have now. It seems that the purple-blue thing is present today because of the way the ccd chip registered light.
    The properties of silver nitrate are different then that of a ccd camera and the corresponding white balance. So far I haven't read articles about how that reacts to blue.

The link I mentioned is a video, not flash photography. The lights in the dressing room are not as bright as the spots on stage.

The belt is NOT leather, but painted felt. Felt doesn't hold the paint color also. It was later on repainted to match the discolored suit (source bk ent).

All these things tend me to think the color is a dark navy (hence the name navy fireworks by the designers, not the fans!) and that turns up lighter blue when there is a bright light.

Backstage Pass

Im pretty sure the cameras were worse off then they are now with purple, i understand you posted a video, but it is still FILM be it movie or flash photography, purple turned blue because of the red element not being picked up other then the naked eye. I really dont think they would have painted the belt to match, thats just hearsay to end a disagreement by bk. also people looked too deep for a reason into why the suit looked blue but is purple in person. here is more proof its just the camera, look at picures of the rainbow suit and embriodered eagal suit. That dark blue embriodery on both suits looks blue in most pics correct ? but in person or close digital pics and some 70's pics it is really purple embriodery that shows up blue.
    look at alot of the pictures of both suits digital and non digital graceland displays and you'll see sometimes it looks blue sometimes it looks purple. its the camera at that time of the photos (or video) that either pick up on the red element in purple or it doesn't.

Backstage Pass

If you agree that the other color suits and the white showed up lighter color then in person, why disagree that this suit was dark purple and is now lighter purple and it was the cameras that made it appear blue ? the camers made dark red lighter looking for the red suit, it made cream off white look bright white, it made the blue nail from a turquise blue to a baby blue. WHY ? it was the camera, lighting, flash and film.