11 8.21%
  • 6 out of 10

11 8.21%
  • 8 out of 10

33 24.63%
  • 10 out of 10

75 55.97%
Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Royal Blue Fireworks (aka) Owl Jumpsuit (1972)

Backstage Pass

Re: Royal Blue Fireworks (aka) Owl Jumpsuit (1972)

B&K make suits any color on the color wheel if someone wants, he's about money not doing what bill and gene told him was ok to do. look at thier site, black king of spades suit ? never made for elvis, a multi aloha belt in blue ?? where did that come from ? and the white fireworks suit sold with the wrong belt. the fireworks suit belt ( they have as a multi belt ) is and extra charge and not for the fireworks suit but for the blue nail suit. its just the fact that the color is what you see at graceland purple, They chose darker shades for the owl, and dark burgandy red suit ( which i heard may have been takin to the cleaner and use to be yellow. See how ridiculous it sounds. and Elvis white suits were cream off white, it looked richer and wouldn't blur in stage lighting and photos. look at most of the white suits ( aloha ) and then match it to the white scarf, theres your answer.
    Last edited by drumzz70; 06-26-2012 at 07:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    THANK YOU TOMMY, AMAZING ELVIS and SUIT picture!
    I'll Remember You!!!

You are welcome dearest Evi................

I dream a world where man no other man
    will scorn. Where LOVE will bless the earth
    and peace its paths adorn...

Backstage Pass

go to rareelvispresley.com click on the belt and capes tab on the left, then pan all the way to the end just before the red lion belt. there is a picture caption from backstge vegas, click on it it will enlarge, the 4th picture on the left is the Pruple owl suit original color, there is no debate that the real color was purple and is purple.

WOW!!!!Tommy, I never saw this ELVIS picture
    THANK YOU!!!!
    BEAUTIFUL!!!!!
    I'll Remember You!!!

You are very, very welcome my friend Evi....

Backstage Pass

contact ronnie tutt or one of the band members who where there and see what they say, opposed to gene or butch. i'm postive you'll change ur mind and know it was and is still purple. its flash bulbs and 70's style cameras that changed the color blue.

I'll see it in person soon but my co worker told me in person there's no doubt it's Purple.

There is Only One Elvis

Backstage Pass

Fantasic !! , thank you, 2 more true believers Purple was the color and is still the color, you can't fade blue to purple, purple fades to light purple. flash bulbs and film take the red out and make it appear blue in pics taken in the 70's

During my meeting with Robert "Butch" Polston I finally learned the truth about the mysterious "Purple Fireworks". I always believed there were two versions; the "Royal Blue Fireworks" as we see in On Tour and the "Purple Fireworks" that can be found on display at Graceland. There's actually only one version; the "Royal Blue Fireworks". In 1972 during the November tour Elvis ripped the seat of the pants and the suit got disbanded. It also went to the cleaners where something strange happened. The suit went in blue and came out purple.
    What happened? The fabric used for the suits originally is white. If Bill decided to dress Elvis in another colour he had to dye the fabric. Somewhere at the cleaners the substance used to clean caused a reaction with the the paint of the suit and it became purple.
    Mystery solved....

The picture you find here was taken at the meeting on October 23rd. An impersonator's showing the replica of the "Royal Blue Fireworks" made by B & K's. This is the original colour.

Thanks to our member Leroy.

Even if there was any Kind of blue on it there's no way it looked as bright as the one the ETA is wearing and the belt is still Purple all the way. So what's the excuse for the belt not having any Blue?

Here's a video clip and did Elvis really have the local cleaners clean his suits?
    I'd thought that would go to a highly qualified Pro to handle. Also what's the reason? the split pants or ruined color?
    The stories these people give I think sometimes they get them mixed up.
    In the out take part during the ending it looks dark blue but look at the rest of the image quality, The colors are all off.

Last edited by ELVIS_; 06-21-2012 at 01:08 AM.
    There is Only One Elvis

Backstage Pass

rareelvispresley.com has a pic of the original color dark eggplant purple, read previous posts, the pic is under belts and capes tab and all the way at the end before the lion belt. Why would there be a pic of him wearing the suit that is dark purple if the suit had been ruined at the cleaners ????? because the pic was taken before it went to the cleaners. the cleaners only lightened the color to waht it is today. there are 3 pics of the owl suit in the pic cap from vegas, and all 3 have different color shades. the pic below the the dark purple is the back cape pic and is almost green, i guess they took it to the cleaners again and purple turned green ? no, its the flash bulbs. the belt never changed color ? because its the real color the suit was.. this is just a matter of admitting wrong when your wrong. this is all in good spirits by the way, i enjoy debating this but the pic on rareelvispresley.com is the true purple color, no matter what butch or gene want you to believe.

Why did they call it the Royal Blue Fireworks ? seems a bit daft if it was purple.

Backstage Pass

It and most of the suits are fan made names, and its because thats how it appears in most pics and the on tour video. I myself always thought it to be a dark blue until i saw the picture on rareelvispresley.com. that picture is taken at the same time as the other color owl suit pics in that caption. if the suit was blue and turned purple why would there be a pic of the suit darker purple then it is at graceland ? you can see the purple suit and right below is the back of the owl and appears blue, but look at the chair it too changes from purple to blue. you can see in the front open cape pic that the suit looks blue but the belt and chair in front of him is purple. its just the flash bulbs that made it blue in pics. also look at the embroidery on his suits from 74, the eagle, king of spades (arabian) and blue rainbow and you can see back then the blue embroidery work looks blue in pics, but now and in person it is actually a dark purple that appears blue.

Backstage Pass

Purple is a strange color, a mix of blue and red depending on the how dark it is. red has always been hard to capture in its full shade and thats why his red suit which was a real dark burgandy color showed up in pics as bright red or orange red, even digital cams today have a hard time showing true red color depeneding on if flash is used because the flash and film filter the darker shade. that happened with the owl suit, the red in the purple color was filterd out so blue ( the primary color ) showed up more when high lighting was involved.

Backstage Pass

you guys and women can try this yourself, go to any clothing store and put a dark purple and a royal color blue wool jacket and take a pic with out flash first and then take a pic with flash you'll be amazed at what happens to the purple color. both will show up shades of blue. i've done this myself with a blackberry phone cam and it works, i've even used drawing marker tips made off plastic and it still changes purple to blue.

Again-- If the suit was any shade of Blue and the cleaners ruined it, then what's the explanation for the Belt?
    There is Only One Elvis

Backstage Pass

i completly agree, there is no explaination needed, the suit just faded from dark purple to what you see today as well as the belt. i don't beleive it ever went to the cleaners and was ( what they say "something strange happend ") turned purple at all. i think its just a story invoked because of the suit looking blue in pics and they got tired of people asking why its purple in person and without flash bulbs or just didnt have knowlege of why a purple suit would look blue on film and pictures. if there was any visible royal or bright blue today you would see the suit blue in person. blue is still in the suit but it is mostly red you see to make it purple. if someone could ever take a pic of this suit with FLASH today it would look blue on ur camera. it would solve the whole story. but also everyone who thought it to be blue would have to admit they were wrong. This is all in good spirits by the way i like the debate, but really isnt one if you understand color and how it works.

Backstage Pass

The jumpsuit mans entry at #134 is the definative proof of how the purple turns blue with flash with todays cameras. you can post blue owl suit pics all you can because that is all it will look like with FLASH but the color was eggplant dark purple and is now faded to lighter purple.