Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Elvis and religion?

I agree with you very much . I'm afraid I don't follow the "normal" terms in religion either . More of the spiritual search.

We can create our own "hell" and "punishments "ourselves .
    Though I do believe there's a much higher,smarter presence than myself..
    At least I sure hope so.

Excellent post !!

I tend to agree with you in most of what you had to say Zey too. I believe in a higher power from which we were created and to whom we will go back to and that includes ALL religions and even those who have had no teachings at all...if they lead the best life they possibly can. I can't believe a god would turn away a decent person or child because of lack of religious teachings.

I think there is a lot of good in organized religion and is very comforting for a lot of people but like every organization some of it has been corrupted for power and control.

Diane

thanks Cameron,Diane..
    through our history religions used by some (can't even say evil) miserable minds to control the masses and keeping the power in their hands by dividing people and feeding the hatred against one another..so I never needed them to search and find some answers..of course this is a personal choice.
    It was supposed to be a big and nice plan but the point we reached today seems rather hopeless.We take "the good" as weakness,some kinda misery and even surreal.but "evil" is almost more believable and logical and common..even when we love another human being,as in our love of Elvis,we try not to go over our quota of believable goodness..when someone is a little more special or have more than one or two good qualities we even afraid to accept or pronounce it,for we could be considered among others as naive,immature,unaware,worshipping dreamers and even more and worse..so we automatically feel ourselves closer to negativeness,more comfortable when our guards on,ready to fight,ready to hear bad news..it seems we've lost our belief in good..I guess fear is the major reason for our being so..love and fear are the contrary of each other and when a person afraid of even the most sacred thing in their life,as "God" for some people,they can't feel true love for it.Maybe religions should consider not to use fear factor that much when they supposed to be showing crowds the right way..
    Last edited by 4THEHEART; 10-17-2007 at 09:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 4THEHEART View Post
    thanks Cameron,Diane..
    through our history religions used by some (can't even say evil) miserable minds to control the masses and keeping the power in their hands by dividing people and feeding the hatred against one another..so I never needed them to search and find some answers..of course this is a personal choice.
    It was supposed to be a big and nice plan but the point we reached today seems rather hopeless.We take "the good" as weakness,some kinda misery and even surreal.but "evil" is almost more believable and logical and common..even when we love another human being,as in our love of Elvis,we try not to go over our quota of believable goodness..when someone is a little more special or have more than one or two good qualities we even afraid to accept or pronounce it,for we could be considered among others as naive,immature,unaware,worshipping dreamers and even more and worse..so we automatically feel ourselves closer to negativeness,more comfortable when our guards on,ready to fight,ready to hear bad news..it seems we've lost our belief in good..I guess fear is the major reason for our being so..love and fear are the contrary of each other and when a person afraid of even the most sacred thing in their life,as "God" for some people,they can't feel true love for it.Maybe religions should consider not to use fear factor that much when they supposed to be showing crowds the right way..
    I've said for a long time ; one cannot control another person by using fear .
    It only works for a short time.
    IMO, that's the problem with some organized religions.
    It's why I chose differently and why some of my children have gotten away from the church.
    I choose to believe in the basic goodness of all.
    IMO; fear and hate is taught it's not a [B]natural state of being. [/B

Yes, I long wished some of the churches would teach love and stop trying to use scare tactics. It just drives some away.

TCB Mafia
    Quote Originally Posted by cameron View Post
    I've said for a long time ; one cannot control another person by using fear .
    It only works for a short time.
    IMO, that's the problem with some organized religions.
    It's why I chose differently and why some of my children have gotten away from the church.
    I choose to believe in the basic goodness of all.
    IMO; fear and hate is taught it's not a [b]natural state of being. [/B

Yes, I long wished some of the churches would teach love and stop trying to use scare tactics. It just drives some away.

I agree with you, Cam.

Well said, 4TheHeart and Diane.

Take care,
    Kim

I am personally not too keen to what religious group Elvis was affiliated. I believe the prime cause of the world's turmoil is religion and politics.

TCB Mafia
    Quote Originally Posted by ricardo b. prospero View Post
    I am personally not too keen to what religious group Elvis was affiliated. I believe the prime cause of the world's turmoil is religion and politics.

Absolutely, sad, huh!

Quote Originally Posted by ricardo b. prospero View Post
    I totally agree. Religion is a virus which has poisoned a beautiful world.
    Polk A Little Sock Salad !

Quote Originally Posted by Diane View Post
    A lot of people thought Elvis was the devil's spawn and that rock and roll contributed to teenage delinquency.
    lol...nowadays being an Elvis fan makes you a respectable

Mad Tigers
    Quote Originally Posted by cameron View Post
    I think that one that believes in nothing has a very empty existence.
    They only have themselves which leaves them alone and bitter.

Loving elvis
    Quote Originally Posted by 4THEHEART View Post
    thanks Cameron,Diane..
    well said ZEY.

SleepyJack
    From what I`ve heard and read over the years I`ve always got the impression that Elvis was always a very spiritual person...as to whether he was a christian or not,or if so then what type etc. isn`t really too much of anyones business...in my opinion religon it is a private thing between the believer and whatever it is that he/she believes in...also,given the temptations that surrounded him I reckon he did a pretty good job of being a decent human being...

Yup, I agree with you SleepyJack, Elvis sure had a lot thrown at him and I'm glad that his sense of religion gave him some comfort and something to turn to.

Diane

Quote Originally Posted by Diane View Post
    Elvis was raised as Pentacostle but as Conor said, he had no real denomination as an adult. I firmly believe he was a Christian in all sense of the word and that he had his place waiting for him in heaven when he died. Who ever said being a Christian was one without sin? I am a Christian (R. Catholic) and I don't believe that Christians are the only ones allowed in heaven....God is much greater than that to me and Jesus himself was Jewish you know.

I kind of resent the title of the book "Even Elvis" as it suggests he was the greatest of sinners and that is far from true.

Diane
    Good point Diane! This is how we should take others in.
    TCB, baby!

Elvis was raised Penecostal(as i was). We were/are called "holy rollers". I agree Tony Trout,to be a "christian" is to be Christ like. Elvis proved time and time again he never forgot his gospel side. Whether he was "saved" or not is not for me to say. In our church you have to be babtized and then recieve "the holy spirit". And then sin no more.But i believe in my heart Elvis made it to the pearly gates. From Graceland Gates to the Pearly Gates, Now that would be a good song title,LoL

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234