17 9.88%
  • 6 out of 10

33 19.19%
  • 8 out of 10

29 16.86%
  • 10 out of 10

78 45.35%
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Mexican Sundial Jumpsuit (1974 and 1977)

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Trout View Post
    Ya'll can shoot me if you want to, but I personally think that this is one of the worst jumpsuit designs Elvis wore. It seemed to only make him look much bigger than what he was.

*ducks from objects being thrown in his general direction*.
    I agree with you Tony...100%. To start with, 1977 is when Elvis should have relied more on the black jumpsuits as they would have been more slenderizing. Also...for me this jumpsuit will 4-ever be associated with the end of his life, our last images of him. I picture him wearing this in that CBS concert trying to find his way through "Are You Lonesome Tonight". It just leaves a very sad image for me

He didn't lose his way through, Are You Lonesome Tonight", he was just joking with the crowd. You could see his mischeivious grin before he starts the speaking part. If people are going to say that was due to drugs and just that he had a good sence of humor, then we would have the say that the recording of the, 1960 concert in Hawaii he was stoned. Cause he was making fun of the speaking part of "AYL" then too, among other songs.

Elvis Presley Blvd Unchained Melody's Avatar
    I don't know Mojo Elvis.

I know what you mean about him messing with the crowd during AYLT at the Rapid City concert, but in Omaha, from the beginning he forgot the lyrics. Also at the end of the speaking part, it looks like he just forgot what he was doing>>??
    "How do I get placed in situations like this? Ah hell, I guess it's all part of showbusiness "~ Elvis in his limo on his way to perform in Omaha, NE on June 19th 1977

Too Much Monkey Business Jumpsuit Junkie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BradM View Post
    I know what you mean about him messing with the crowd during AYLT at the Rapid City concert, but in Omaha, from the beginning he forgot the lyrics. Also at the end of the speaking part, it looks like he just forgot what he was doing>>??
    I know what you mean Brad... if Elvis intended to play with AYLT like had done on previous occasions then it fell pretty flat, it just looked like he had fluffed his lines. It is also lost in translation, by that I mean we know that Elvis used to play with this song from time to time but the casual fan would not have known, so it ended up being a double whammy

Too Much Monkey Business Jumpsuit Junkie's Avatar
    Georgia June 1st 1977
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 01.jpg  

re

thanks for that photo Jumpsuit Junkie
    Never seen it before
    I'd like to go to Graceland
    Memphis,Tennessee

As I look at various photos, I notice some color differences. In many, the Sundial suit looks to be off-white rather that a brighter white (such as the Aloha suit). Does anyone know the true color of the Sundial Suit?

They could have made him a better suit or altered some of the other ones! There were & there are singers that are way more "big boned "than Elvis and they don't wear the same suits all the time! It wouldn't have been hard at all to change it up alittle!
    "Taking Care Of Business In A Flash!"

Matt, is this picture you just posted of the TV '77 Concert? If so he really looks a lot better on this photo than he did on television. Maybe television cameras make a person look heavier and shows up the heavy make-up he had on more?

Diane

Quote Originally Posted by Diane View Post
    Matt, is this picture you just posted of the TV '77 Concert? If so he really looks a lot better on this photo than he did on television. Maybe television cameras make a person look heavier and shows up the heavy make-up he had on more?

Diane

The pic Matt posted was taken on June 1, 1977.

Thanks Tony.

Diane

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Trout View Post
    The pic Matt posted was taken on June 1, 1977.
    Macon, Georgia to be exact.
    "How do I get placed in situations like this? Ah hell, I guess it's all part of showbusiness "~ Elvis in his limo on his way to perform in Omaha, NE on June 19th 1977

nNew photo

First is from March..maybe the 27th :
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails gallery_1_93_20781.jpg  

International Level SeeSeeRider777's Avatar
    I cant stand this suit. It really looks like a cheap suit. I dont know why Elvis wore this, it really brought out his weight because of the big sundial. A 2 piece suit would have been best for him. IMO
    "When I was a child, ladies and gentlemen, I was a dreamer. I read comic books, and I was a hero in the movie. So every dream that I ever dreamed has come true a hundred times. I learned very early in life that without a song, the day would never end; without a song, a man ain't got a friend; without a song, the road would never bend; without a song. So I keep singing a song." - Elvis Presley

Quote Originally Posted by SeeSeeRider777 View Post
    I cant stand this suit. It really looks like a cheap suit. I dont know why Elvis wore this, it really brought out his weight because of the big sundial. A 2 piece suit would have been best for him. IMO
    what are u saying? it looked cheap?it really brought out his weight because of the big sundial? nonesence..but i would have to agree when u say the way to go for elvis as a change back in 76-77 was the 2 piece outfits no belts..and disagree with you the sundial jumpsuit is one of elvis most beautiful jumpsuits ever one of my favs.peace
    Last edited by epmoodyblue; 02-11-2008 at 02:46 PM.
    MY ELVIS WEBSITE
    http://www.tcb-world.com/images/signaturepics/sigpic4801_25.gif[
    ]Elvis i WILL REMEMBER YOU..FOR YOU SING IN MY HEART..AND LIVE IN MY SOUL
    my Selena Website

The suit is one of the most beautiful suites..if you've seen this suite in person, you would say the same thing, trust me.

Are you kidding me, a 2 piece suite in June of 1977. it don't matter whether he wore a 2 piece suite or the sundial, or any other suite for that matter. The man was severley over weight. Regardless of what he wore. So it's not the suites fault Elvis looked overwight because Elvis was overweight. Plain and simple. And EPMoodyblue, that photo of Elvis in the King Of Spades aka Arabian 1974 suite looks killer in your new signature, photo's from June 18th 1977 Kansas City

Quote Originally Posted by BradM View Post
    The suit is one of the most beautiful suites..if you've seen this suite in person, you would say the same thing, trust me.

Are you kidding me, a 2 piece suite in June of 1977. it don't matter whether he wore a 2 piece suite or the sundial, or any other suite for that matter. The man was severley over weight. Regardless of what he wore. So it's not the suites fault Elvis looked overwight because Elvis was overweight. Plain and simple. And EPMoodyblue, that photo of Elvis in the King Of Spades aka Arabian 1974 suite looks killer in your new signature, photo's from June 18th 1977 Kansas City
    thanx glad u like my new siggyyeah ur right ...2 piece suits woudint have made a difference still he would of looked great in 2 piece outfits in 77..just go back to march april -early may 75 elvis wasint in great shape either and the 2 piece thingys made him look super great..so i could imagine elvis in 77 wearing a new 2 piece suit and no belt def no belt..well elvis looked good in practically anything .wellexcept for that terrible v-neck puffy sleve suit worn on late 75 in vegas and in pontiac michigan. and in 76 thats gotta be the all time ugliest suit elvis ever used on stage hated it big time what was elvis thinking using that v neck disaster of a jumpsuit ..looked like a pyjama why was it made? def the worst suit ever
    Last edited by epmoodyblue; 02-12-2008 at 05:09 PM.
    MY ELVIS WEBSITE
    http://www.tcb-world.com/images/signaturepics/sigpic4801_25.gif[
    ]Elvis i WILL REMEMBER YOU..FOR YOU SING IN MY HEART..AND LIVE IN MY SOUL
    my Selena Website

iv never liked this suit but when i went to graceland and saw it had to change my mind
    my boy , my boy

Quote Originally Posted by MEMPHISKING77 View Post
    iv never liked this suit but when i went to graceland and saw it had to change my mind
    Agreed. Thought the same thing when i saw the V Neck suit in person. Before I couldnt stand it but when i saw it in person it has a beatiful design to it

Coming On Strong
    This suit is Elvis' finest ever. Period. Just perfect.

"Hi sabbath, I think we can finally lay to rest the myth that there were two Mexican Jumpsuits forever, when Leroy meeet with Gene Docette the designer for the majority of Elvis' Jumpsuits he clearly stated that there was only ever one Jumpsuit made and that by the end of 1977 it was completely worn out by it's extended usage by Elvis, this would explain why there were buttons missing and when the suit was repaired they were never replaced.

Matt".

Matt: You are not right.

There was 2 "editions".

One made i 1974 with 3 buttons and one made in 1977 with only 2 buttons.

FOR ONCE AND FOR ALL! - HERE:

3 BUTTON VERSION USED:
    17.02.77: Savannah
    20.02.77: Charlotte
    23.03.77: Tempe
    25.03.77: Norman
    27.03.77: Abilene
    29.03.77: Alexandria
    21.04.77: Greensboro
    22.04.77: Detroit
    23.04.77: Toledo
    25.04.77: Saginaw
    26.04.77: Kalamazoo
    27.04.77: Milwaukee
    28.04.77: Green Bay
    30.04.77: St. Paul
    02.05.77: Chicago
    03.05.77: Saginaw

2 BUTTON VERSION USED:
    20.05.77: Knoxville
    21.05.77: Louisville
    22.05.77: Largo
    23.05.77: Providence
    24.05.77: Augusta
    25.05.77: Rochester
    26.05.77: Binghampton
    27.05.77: Binghampton
    28.05.77: Philadelphia
    29.05.77: Baltimore
    30.05.77: Jacksonville
    31.05.77: Baton Rouge
    01.06.77: Macon
    02.06.77: Mobile
    17.06.77: Springfield
    19.06.77: Omaha
    20.06.77: Lincoln
    21.06.77: Rapid City
    22.06.77: Sioux Falls
    23.06.77: Des Moines
    24.06.77: Madison
    25.06.77: Cincinnati
    26.06.77: Indianapolis

During Elvis last shows from may until June 26 the "3 buttons version" was prepered by Elvis crew for every new show (cleaning etc.). Elvis very seldom used the same suit two days in a row, but during his final shows he did for unclear reasons. He probably felt comfortable in the Mexican Sundial Suit with only 2 buttons on sleeves?