17 9.88%
  • 6 out of 10

33 19.19%
  • 8 out of 10

29 16.86%
  • 10 out of 10

78 45.35%
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Mexican Sundial Jumpsuit (1974 and 1977)

Too Much Monkey Business Jumpsuit Junkie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Budd View Post
    Matt: You are not right.
    Hi Billy, It is not a question of me not being right, it is a question of whether Gene Doucette is right. Seeing as how Gene designed the suits and did the embroidery, I'm pretty certain that he would remember if there were two suits made?

Leroy went to see Gene Doucette and Bill Belew in Amsterdam a couple of years ago and had a long conversation, many myths were dispelled and names of suits were corrected etc. Leroy put the question of the two Sundial Suits and Gene said that there was only 'one' made.

Elvis wore this suit more than any other, there were more signs of ware and tear than any other, hence the missing buttons. To be exact there were 3 buttons on each cuff (both sides) giving a total of 12, some went missing, possibly fans who knows, but the suit was repaired and the buttons then went to two on all sides giving a total of 8.

I have no wish to get into any argument when the information has come from the designers. As far as I'm concerned this issue has been discussed and answers given.

Please have a look at the photo below, one of Leeches from 24.05.77

If you look at the cuff on the outside you can see two, where as when you look at the inside you can clearly see three!

Would this suit have been designed in such a way? Highly unlikely...

Another shot from the 23.05.77 plus a shot from April/May 77 with the left hand inside cuff button missing compare to the right hand!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 23.05.1977.jpg   April-May1977.jpg  
    Last edited by Jumpsuit Junkie; 08-12-2008 at 05:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonny View Post
    1977... He look good, could be 1974!
    I don't think it's 74,look at the belt where the design ends. He needed more room and the difference between the his body looks.

Elvis Presley Blvd Unchained Melody's Avatar
    The shots I've seen of Elvis in the Mexican Sundail from Tahoe 74 in the new tahoe book look fabulous wish he wore it through 75 !!
    "How do I get placed in situations like this? Ah hell, I guess it's all part of showbusiness "~ Elvis in his limo on his way to perform in Omaha, NE on June 19th 1977

Backstage Pass
    I agree with Jumpsuit Junkie. Furthermore, what was the use of having a multiple suit 3 years after the first version?

Heres a cool shot.5-21-77
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails LEACH 210577 LOUISVILLE 1.jpg  
    "How do I get placed in situations like this? Ah hell, I guess it's all part of showbusiness "~ Elvis in his limo on his way to perform in Omaha, NE on June 19th 1977

I like this pictures,(THE FOOL) is one of my favorites

Quote Originally Posted by medleyofcostumes View Post
    I agree with Jumpsuit Junkie. Furthermore, what was the use of having a multiple suit 3 years after the first version?

As Gene Doucette confirms in the new "Fit For A King" DVD from B&K Enterprises, there was only one (1) Mexican Sundial suit made.

Apparently, the reason he wore it so much in '77 is because it was the only suit that would fit.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Trout View Post
    Apparently, the reason he wore it so much in '77 is because it was the only suit that would fit.
    I'm not sure that the Mexican Sundial was the only suit that fitted him, there was the "Arabian Second Version" aka "king Of Spades" last worn June 18th 1977 plus the "Chief" aka "Indian Feather" last used on the February 21st 1977.

If the "Chief" Jumpsuit fitted Elvis as it did in Hollywood Florida on February 18th 1977, it would have fitted him any time throughout 1977. It could have been a question of comfort I suppose?

Quote Originally Posted by Jumpsuit Junkie View Post
    I'm not sure that the Mexican Sundial was the only suit that fitted him, there was the "Arabian Second Version" aka "king Of Spades" last worn June 18th 1977 plus the "Chief" aka "Indian Feather" last used on the February 21st 1977.

If the "Chief" Jumpsuit fitted Elvis as it did in Hollywood Florida on February 18th 1977, it would have fitted him any time throughout 1977. It could have been a question of comfort I suppose?
    So the question I have is, for a man that was notorious for not wearing the same suit two days in a row, he wore the Sundial suit over and over. When I asked this question on another site, they said, it was due to the date he supposedly died was in the design. 8-16 points.
    Before anyone throws stones at me, it was the guys quote not mine.
    Last edited by MojoElvis; 10-14-2008 at 12:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MojoElvis View Post
    So the question I have is, for a man that was notorious for not wearing the same suit two days in a row, he wore the Sundial suit over and over. When I asked this question on another site, they said, it was due to the date he supposedly died was in the design. 8-16 points.
    Before anyone throws stones at me, it was the guys quote not mine.
    I believe that this has also been covered in a thread on this site and Leroy gave some great information regarding the whole theory behind the numbers 8-16 and their relevance to the Mexican Sundial suit etc.

I'm sure Leroy will be one of he first to say that numerology and other similar things are not an exact science and whether you believe in such things is probably subjective to each individual.

Personally I believe the suit was designed by Gene without any knowledge of how the suit would have been perceived by Elvis or others 30 plus years later, numerology IMO in this case is purely coincidental..

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Trout View Post
    He also wore the King of Spades during the final tour.

Other suits certainly would have fitted him towards the end.
    Getlo - cute'n'cuddly

Backstage Pass
    If you've seen any photos from the 18th June wearing the second Arabian suit (King of Spades), The suit was far too tight and Elvis looked (and said) that it was uncomfortable.

My only question is this: since both the sundial and arabian suits were designed for October 1974, how come the arabian suit (as seen in the 18 June 77footage) looks far too tight than the sundial, which looks quite comfortable? I assume that if these were prepared simultaneously, the size would be identical and the same amount of letting out could be done.

Quote Originally Posted by medleyofcostumes View Post
    If you've seen any photos from the 18th June wearing the second Arabian suit (King of Spades), The suit was far too tight and Elvis looked (and said) that it was uncomfortable.

My only question is this: since both the sundial and arabian suits were designed for October 1974, how come the arabian suit (as seen in the 18 June 77footage) looks far too tight than the sundial, which looks quite comfortable? I assume that if these were prepared simultaneously, the size would be identical and the same amount of letting out could be done.
    Good question, I'm not certain what the answer is but my guess is that perhaps Gene made the Sundial slightly larger for some reason

There are certainly other suits that could have fitted, even back in 1975 (Silver Phoenix Photo) Elvis could be prone to being heavy set, in 1976 Elvis was very heavy!

I like the suit, too, but I can't understand why he wore it that often in '77, either. Why didn't he has some more / others made for the June (or later) tours? A sign for the lack of cash due to some financial mistakes?

Anyway, I like it, I simply don't understand how so called "friends" could let him go that far and let him harm himself that heavily, completely neglecting his physical conditions!!

Bye,

Thomas

International Level elvispresleytheking's Avatar
    Hm.... This suit look great on him in 1974, but after 1974 (possibly 75) he really should have stopped wearing jumpsuits.

Quote Originally Posted by Jumpsuit Junkie View Post
    I believe that this has also been covered in a thread on this site and Leroy gave some great information regarding the whole theory behind the numbers 8-16 and their relevance to the Mexican Sundial suit etc.

I'm sure Leroy will be one of he first to say that numerology and other similar things are not an exact science and whether you believe in such things is probably subjective to each individual.

Personally I believe the suit was designed by Gene without any knowledge of how the suit would have been perceived by Elvis or others 30 plus years later, numerology IMO in this case is purely coincidental..
    I do not claim to be an expert on Numerology but it seems to me that its like Astrology its fun to investigate but I would not turn fun into a true science -nor base any serious decisions on what "the stars" say I should do.
    The coincedences in life will happen with or without the aid of numerology or Astrology. IMO

Quote Originally Posted by Getlo View Post

Other suits certainly would have fitted him towards the end.
    Its sad reality, Elvis just didn't care anymore. Heck, let his health go, so I doubt his costumes on stage would have been a big priority to him. To me in 77 the only reason he was touring was because he knew him and Parker were almost if not broke!

International Level jean francois's Avatar
    636.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 636.jpg  

This suit really is impressive,
    MAY AND JUNE 1977
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Picture1026.jpg   j115-2-1AZTECA-NEW.jpg   j115-2-2azteca NEW.jpg  

International Level jean francois's Avatar
    HGG.jpg

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails HGG.jpg