20 16.39%
  • 8 out of 10

26 21.31%
  • 10 out of 10

48 39.34%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Colourful Flame Jumpsuit (1976)

Quote Originally Posted by vulcandude View Post
    What's so bad about this suit? I think it is nicely understated.

That paisley design is the worst design for a jumpsuit that Gene Doucette and Bill Belew could think of...it's like Elvis wanted to compete with James Burton for the title of "Which one of us does paisley look the best on?"

Back to the "Flame" suit, though....I think it's a pretty good looking suit...although Elvis's hairstyle doesn't wanna make me go "gaa-gaa!" because of it....

I don't like that blue suit.I guess i'm partial to the white jumpsuits.My all time favorite would have to be the "Tiger Jumpsuit", 2nd on my list would have to be the Aloha from Hawaii jumpsuit.

International Level SeeSeeRider777's Avatar
    This suit would have been better if it had Stones on the sleeves.
    "When I was a child, ladies and gentlemen, I was a dreamer. I read comic books, and I was a hero in the movie. So every dream that I ever dreamed has come true a hundred times. I learned very early in life that without a song, the day would never end; without a song, a man ain't got a friend; without a song, the road would never bend; without a song. So I keep singing a song." - Elvis Presley

Too Much Monkey Business Jumpsuit Junkie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SeeSeeRider777 View Post
    This suit would have been better if it had Stones on the sleeves.
    from about 1974 most jumpsuits stopped having ornaments on the sleeves, I'm guessing that it was a conscious decision to stop guitars from getting scratched and possibly to reduce the weight of Jumpsuits

didnt he wear that in 74 also ?
    Tony

Colorful Flame/Red Flower Jumpsuit

Quote Originally Posted by tony70 View Post
    didnt he wear that in 74 also ?

No, you are getting this suit confused with the "Red Flower" suit from '73-'74.

Elvis Presley Blvd Unchained Melody's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jumpsuit Junkie View Post
    from about 1974 most jumpsuits stopped having ornaments on the sleeves, I'm guessing that it was a conscious decision to stop guitars from getting scratched and possibly to reduce the weight of Jumpsuits
    You know Matt I never really paid that close attention to that until you said that but it is true. Maybe the design team wanted to go for a different style perhaps..
    "How do I get placed in situations like this? Ah hell, I guess it's all part of showbusiness "~ Elvis in his limo on his way to perform in Omaha, NE on June 19th 1977

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Trout View Post
    No, you are getting this suit confused with the "Red Flower" suit from '73-'74.
    ah your right thanks so much boy I feel dumb
    Tony

International Level elvispresleytheking's Avatar
    Reading through the omments, I'll agree that it is too flashy. I saw a modified poto once with a black jumpsuit and blue flames, which looked better. Too much red, and you first notice the suit, not Elvis. I like noticing Elvis, then the suit.

International Level WHITETIGERMAN's Avatar
    I must agree that this suit is not a favorite of mine.I just don't care for it .

Backstage Pass

Re: Colourful Flame Jumpsuit (1976)

I saw a photo on the net of a rack of jumpsuits with 2 Clourful flames suits.

My question is why a duplicate suit?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails flame2.jpg   flame22.jpg  

There are several reasons to make duplicate versions of a suit. Around 1970 Elvis' wardrobe wasn't that large so in order to make it possible for him to wear a certain suit several times they made several identical version. In case of the 1970 "Chain Suit" even three versions. Later on when the suits got more eleborate and expensive the copying stopped.

Both 1973 "Black Spanish Flowers" were made to keep the staff busy. So there you have another reason. In case of the 1976 "Flame Suit" it might be just that; keeping the staff busy. It could bever have been a case of a need because as history showed us, Elvis wasn't really fond of this suit....

Backstage Pass

That's interesting, Leroy - keeping staff busy at EP's expense!!!

Compared with 'busy' years like 1972 or 1973 where many suits were made, 1976 was a 'slow' year with only one addition (except for the 'Colourful Flame, of course).

In other posts, you stated that Elvis had nothing to with design of stage wear. Does this mean, that Elvis didn't even commission a jumpsuit (whatever the design)? If this was the case, and I were Gene, I would have made plently of suits in 1976 and 1977 that Elvis would have added to his wardrobe.

From your conversations with Gene (and your opinion), do you think there were other suits planned in mid/late 1976 and 1977? (apart from the unworn suit of 1977)

Very good jumpsuit

Quote Originally Posted by medleyofcostumes View Post
    That's interesting, Leroy - keeping staff busy at EP's expense!!!

Compared with 'busy' years like 1972 or 1973 where many suits were made, 1976 was a 'slow' year with only one addition (except for the 'Colourful Flame, of course).

In other posts, you stated that Elvis had nothing to with design of stage wear. Does this mean, that Elvis didn't even commission a jumpsuit (whatever the design)? If this was the case, and I were Gene, I would have made plently of suits in 1976 and 1977 that Elvis would have added to his wardrobe.

From your conversations with Gene (and your opinion), do you think there were other suits planned in mid/late 1976 and 1977? (apart from the unworn suit of 1977)

In the end Elvis only payed for what he got. There are two sides on the story of keeping the staff busy. Apart from avoiding his people to "hang around the store" they also created something extra... As you probably know Elvis could make decision in an instant and it had to be fulfilled right that moment. Several times Gene was confronted with having to work around the clock in order to created a "spure of the moment" jumpsuit.

As far as Elvis commissioning pieces of wadrobe.... In the beginning Elvis worked on a very close base with Bill Belew. The 1969 "Cossack Top" two-pieces was a design based on ideas of Elvis. When the jumpsuit made its debut in 1970 Elvis began to concentrate more and more on his performances and left the wardobe intirely to Bill Belew. After that the only jumpsuit(s) he commisioned was for the 1973 Satelite show.

During 1976 Gene and his staff mostly worked on repairs and alterations of the excisting suit. The only new ones were the 1976 "Light Blue Egyptian Bird" the the two already meantioned "Flame Suits".

According to Gene five newly designed jumpsuits (including the 1977 "Light Blue Paisley" jumpsuit) were delivered to Graceland. EPE has some explaining to do......

Backstage Pass

So there are 4 never-before-seen jumpsuits hidden somewhere!! My guess is that with the confusion after Elvis' death, someone must have taken them.

Once again Leroy, thanks a million for your answers!!!

Coming On Strong Brad Stalnaker's Avatar

from my Memphis Trip in October 2008
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Memphis 362.jpg   Memphis 376.jpg  

It's good but no too best
    I'll Remember You!!!

International Level moody-blues67's Avatar

I like this one !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Leroy View Post
    In the end Elvis only payed for what he got. There are two sides on the story of keeping the staff busy. Apart from avoiding his people to "hang around the store" they also created something extra... As you probably know Elvis could make decision in an instant and it had to be fulfilled right that moment. Several times Gene was confronted with having to work around the clock in order to created a "spure of the moment" jumpsuit.

As far as Elvis commissioning pieces of wadrobe.... In the beginning Elvis worked on a very close base with Bill Belew. The 1969 "Cossack Top" two-pieces was a design based on ideas of Elvis. When the jumpsuit made its debut in 1970 Elvis began to concentrate more and more on his performances and left the wardobe intirely to Bill Belew. After that the only jumpsuit(s) he commisioned was for the 1973 Satelite show.

During 1976 Gene and his staff mostly worked on repairs and alterations of the excisting suit. The only new ones were the 1976 "Light Blue Egyptian Bird" the the two already meantioned "Flame Suits".

According to Gene five newly designed jumpsuits (including the 1977 "Light Blue Paisley" jumpsuit) were delivered to Graceland. EPE has some explaining to do......
    Great info, Leroy!!! But, lord have mercy, missing FOUR suits that were produced and delivered to Graceland.... how in the world could that have happened? They've got to be somewhere?
    Leroy, did Gene mention what the designs were on these four suits? It would be very interesting to know.

Nathan Belt
    www.nathanbelt.com

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast