20 16.39%
  • 8 out of 10

26 21.31%
  • 10 out of 10

48 39.34%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Colourful Flame Jumpsuit (1976)

Flame Jumpsuit

Absolutely stunning pics everybody! WOW! What is the background history on it? Any pics of it on display at Graceland?

International Level
    I think I may have some still some where but not 100% sure. I went to graceland in 2002 and then in 2004 (first time I entered contest) and they had the flame suit out one of those times and I took picture of me in it. This is other suit That is on my pre-order list at B-K Enterprises I hope to have it by fall of this year.

Love to all,
    Tim Dudley "A Tribute To Elvis Show"
    http://www.geocities.com/dudcowboy_1/

This suit is actually a re-make although my expanation could cause some confusion. In 1973 Elvis started to wear a suit called "Fire Suit". Most people are more familiar to the name "Red Flower" but Gene Doucette intended to portrait fire. But he had only nails and stones to work with and therefore this was the best he could do at the time.
    In the beginning of 1974 Gene discovered working with embroidery and because he was't really satisfied with the way some of the themes came out he re-designed some earlier suits. One of them was the 1976 "Colourful Flame Suit". Because the embroidery gave him the chance to work with different colours (red, pink and yellow) it became more realistic.
    But Elvis wasn't too thrilled about the suit. Even he found it too flashy. But the fans loved it so Elvis tried it out only a few times.
    This suit goes into history for being the last suit made for Elvis which he actually wore on stage. The very last suit that was designed never made it to the stage.
    I have attached a picture where you can see the 1976 "Colourful Flame Suit" on display in a showcase setting together with the 1973 "Orange Sunburst", the 1973 "Blue Rain" and the 1974 "Mad Tiger".
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Showcase Flame.jpg  
    Last edited by Leroy; 01-21-2007 at 01:29 AM.

Flame Suit

Quote Originally Posted by Leroy View Post
    This suit is actually a re-make although my expanation could cause some confusion. In 1973 Elvis started to wear a suit called "Fire Suit". Most people are more familiar to the name "Red Flower" but Gene Doucette intended to portrait fire. But he had only nails and stones to work with and therefore this was the best he could do at the time.
    In the beginning of 1974 Gene discovered working with embroidery and because he was't really satisfied with the way some of the themes came out he re-designed some earlier suits. One of them was the 1976 "Colourful Flame Suit". Because the embroidery gave him the chance to work with different colours (red, pink and yellow) it became more realistic.
    But Elvis wasn't too thrilled about the suit. Even he found it too flashy. But the fans loved it so Elvis tried it out only a few times.
    This suit goes into history for being the last suit made for Elvis which he actually wore on stage. The very last suit that was designed never made it to the stage.
    I have attached a picture where you can see the 1976 "Colourful Flame Suit" on display in a showcase setting together with the 1973 "Orange Sunburst", the 1973 "Blue Rain" and the 1974 "Mad Tiger".
    Thanks for the great info Leroy. But I'm confused about one thing......did you mean this is the last suit Elvis wore on stage before he died? Or did I read what you said wrong? Awesome pic too.....I'd love to see that Tiger Suit close up.....it looks so cool.

I knew it would get confusing. The 1976 "Colourful Flame Suit" was the very last suit that was designed and finished and used while Elvis was still alive. It's designed and manufactured in the summer of 1976 and used in October 1976. So it was the last NEW suit that was actually worn by Elvis.

The last suit Elvis ever wore on stage was an "oldie", namely the 1974 "Mexican Sundial".

Flame Jumpsuit

Quote Originally Posted by Leroy View Post
    I knew it would get confusing. The 1976 "Colourful Flame Suit" was the very last suit that was designed and finished and used while Elvis was still alive. It's designed and manufactured in the summer of 1976 and used in October 1976. So it was the last NEW suit that was actually worn by Elvis.

The last suit Elvis ever wore on stage was an "oldie", namely the 1974 "Mexican Sundial".
    Thanks Leroy. That definitely clears things up.......

Too Much Monkey Business Jumpsuit Junkie's Avatar
    I've always liked this Jumpsuit I know it is not what you call stylish but it has just got something, I suppose that after some of the other Jumpsuits from 1975/76 e.g. Chicken Rib, Eskimo Totem Pole, White/Blue Egyptian Bird & the V-Neck this stands out. I'm just glad that Elvis didn't wear the last designed Jumpsuit, this really would have been a travisty

last jumpsuit

Quote Originally Posted by Jumpsuit Junkie View Post
    I've always liked this Jumpsuit I know it is not what you call stylish but it has just got something, I suppose that after some of the other Jumpsuits from 1975/76 e.g. Chicken Rib, Eskimo Totem Pole, White/Blue Egyptian Bird & the V-Neck this stands out. I'm just glad that Elvis didn't wear the last designed Jumpsuit, this really would have been a travisty
    And why would that be? It can't be that bad looking.......

Quote Originally Posted by vulcandude View Post
    And why would that be? It can't be that bad looking.......
    from the picture i have mocked up, what do you think of it.......

Its just so awful!!

Last suit

I agree. That unworn "blue" suit is truly hideous.

The jumpsuits had had their day by August 1977, and had he lived, I'd like to think he would've gone back to the same style as the two-piece suits he wore in 1975. Or something more plain, similar to the TTWII styles.

I read somewhere once that Elvis was thinking of using some sort of "laser" or "light" system in his suits, so he could glow more on stage.

Man, now that would've been just tragic, for so many reasons ...

Here we go again! I wonder why that "Laser Suit" keeps popping up. That laser suit is only a rumour. It was never meant to be. The designers were thinking about designing a suit with tiny mirrors that would create the effect of laser beams when hit by the stage lights.

And I do not share the opinion that by 1977 the jumpsuit had its days. I have gone through the seventies. The same goes for flashy clothes. There were groups and artists that were performing in more flashy clothes than Elvis ever did. Think about the funk bands like the Commodores and Instant Funk or Parliament. They looked like they were coming for another planet. Or a rock group like KISS. Elvis wardrobe was tame comparing to their clothes....

And like I said in another thread: Elvis wasn't satisfied with the 1975 two-piece and the audiences back then felt the same way. They wanted the more elaborate jumpsuits and Elvis gave them what they want. Looking back it's easy for us to say what he should have done. But we are living in the next century and he had to live it up back then. That's a hell of a difference.

Hi Leroy,

having read you comment about the Jumpsuit not having it's day by 1977, I was wondering about you opinion on what Elvis would have been wearing post 1977? When would Elvis have changed etc.

Matt

According to Gene Doucette Elvis would go on wearing jumpsuits with a few adjustments. There were six suit lying and waiting for the August 1977 tour. Until this day only one suit has been showed.
    The flares would have been less wider and the kick pleats would disappear. Alsdo the Napoleonic collar would be lowered. And off course the patterns would change into something less elaborate. More subtile as on the 1975 "V-neck" or the 1975 "Rainfall". Also more darker suits like the 1975 "Dark Blue Phoenix".

At the end of the seventies the fashion began to change and I believe that this would be the time for Elvis to long for changes in his wardrobe too. But it all would depend on a couple of factors:

a) Would Elvis still be touring and performing?
    b) Would Elvis finally succeed in losing weight?

It was getting more and more difficult to design for Elvis because he didn't allow measurements. The 1976 "Colourful Flame Suit" is a perfect example of that. This suit was designed and made in the summer of 1976 while Elvis was going through his last tour. When Elvis went on with the next tour in October he was less bloathed as before and so the "Colourful Flame Suit" was too large all of a sudden. You can see it on the pictures. Especially at the back of the suit. So they folded it a little behind the belt.

A return of the two-pieces is not really an "out-of-the-question" issue but it would never happen while Elvis would still be at 200 ponds.

last suit

from the picture i have mocked up, what do you think of it.......

Its just so awful!!
    What's so bad about this suit? I think it is nicely understated.

Quote Originally Posted by vulcandude View Post
    What's so bad about this suit? I think it is nicely understated.
    Where do I start the colour, the pattern, the belt just looks like a cheap knockoff!!................ Just my opinion

the last suit

Where do I start the colour, the pattern, the belt just looks like a cheap knockoff!!................ Just my opinion
    Maybe Elvis was trying to go for something a little more simplistic after the way some of the suits had been.

wel back to the flame jumpsuit i think its great flamboyant bright an elvis master piece although i wonder what was wrong with his hair dosent quite look like the elvis style anyway great suit

This is the one suit I didn't like at all along with the V-Neck suit. I don't know what Bill Belew or Doucette were thinking when they made these.

Diane

Still a favourite of mine
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails flame.jpg  

A great looking jumpsuit always liked this one, very nice photo thank you Matt.

I dream a world where man no other man
    will scorn. Where LOVE will bless the earth
    and peace its paths adorn...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast