Thread: $2.8 million fine for producers 'Definitive Elvis'

$2.8 million fine for producers 'Definitive Elvis'

The company 'Passport International Productions' released the 8-piece dvd box 'Definitive Elvis' in 2002.
    Besides a lot of interviews, the documentary contained footage from the Sullivan shows, Comeback Special, Aloha and private movies off Elvis. Because of the copyright violation, the box was removed from the store shelves - and became the label off collectors item.
    Five years later, the courtcase is ended.
    EPE, Sofa Entertainment and writersduo Leiber and Stoller receive $2.8 million.

Some of you all never been down South too much...
    I'm gonna tell you a little story, so you'll understand where I'm talking about

DVD set

Anyone who's work is featured in this series should be compensated. It's only fair.

If EPE was smart, they'd bury the hatchet with the makers of this excellent doco series, add some new footage, change relatively few things. And add more original songs, videos and such.

Don't know about anyone else, but I really enjoyed this DVD set ...

It's okay for EPE to crack down on the people out there making crap in Elvis' image, but EPE could've been nicer to the producers of thisd set.

Then it could have been even better than the set we have now.

Mad Tigers
    I recently heard that on the version that was pulled from the shelves there was alot of footage from the CBS Special from '77. Would anyone happen to have that set? If so, could you please let us know what is all on it?

re

There isn't much footage of the CBS tv Special '77 in it.
    The only thing from the cbs tv special is the end of my way...
    But what i wanted to say,with that money,EPE could use that money for making a good dvd of the CBS Tv Special '77 and then release it!
    That should be good news...
    I'd like to go to Graceland
    Memphis,Tennessee

Except they'll never do it...they have said over and over that that footage will never be released again.
    But I like how u think elvis himselvis.

I recently bought "The CBS Tapes" on Ebay, the CBS Special plus full footage of the two concerts it was drawn from. Not extremely high quality but really good non-the-less with good sound and some really fun moments. Obviously not "official" but worth it.

I to have it but I taped it back when it aired in Oct. of 1977, well my dad did anyway.
    I sort of understand the logic behind EPE not wanting it released...but on other hand as an Elvis fan I would love to have it in official format...
    Granted he didn't look his best, but I don't think he looked horrible...and his voice was amazing! Espescially on "Unchained Melody".

Quote Originally Posted by Suzan View Post
    Except they'll never do it...they have said over and over that that footage will never be released again.
    But I like how u think elvis himselvis.

thank you Suzan
    I'd like to go to Graceland
    Memphis,Tennessee