Page 1 of 55 123456781151 ... LastLast

Thread: "official" Graceland development thread

Thumbs up "official" Graceland development thread

I found this post at Urbanplanet.com and I thought it was interesting. It's about the coming changes in Memphis and Graceland. It looks like my friend Lakeisha was right when she said a theme park could be included in the plans for the area.

"With respect to EPE, I had talked to someone that works for them and she said that people have people that visit the house tell them that if they had a convention center they would hold their national conventions at it. Since, people have been telling them this for a few years, I think they are taking them seriously and are working on a convention center. Think something along the lines of a baby opry land in that area."
    Last edited by Lonniebealestreet; 03-06-2008 at 09:19 AM.

Thank you for the information

I dream a world where man no other man
    will scorn. Where LOVE will bless the earth
    and peace its paths adorn...

Thank you for info
    Taking Care of Business
    Til we meet you again, may God bless you, Adios.

I emailed my friend Lakeisha who lives in Memphis and pretty much is up to date on what's going on there. I asked her about the "Opryland" quote I posted here and she said she didn't know much but would get back with me as soon as she found out from her friend and source. Well she just emailed me back and there are some things I found interesting. This is what she said:

Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2007 1:14:20
    From: "Lakeisha Johnson" <[email protected]> Add to Address Book
    Subject: Re: EPE expansion question
    To: <[email protected]>

Hey what's up!

The convention center you mentioned is somethin that was originally planned by Sillerman in his initial plans. That, I remember. So I guess it's in the preliminary plans as well

As far as Opryland goes....I don't know about that. I did ask my friend what you said and his exact words were...."I can't give out too much info right now, but I can say that a lot of his fans won't be too thrilled with the changes. But you might like them. Stay tuned". So hmmm, I don't know what he means by that. But obviously everything is now bein kept tight-lipped in fear of what the fans might say or think.

I have noticed lately that the mayor of Shelby Co. is very careful about what he says referrin to the new plans for Graceland.

Jay, remember I told you that he told me a while back that there could be some type of tie-in with Disney or another company for a new themed park here and that it could be in South Memphis/ So maybe there's truth to that and what you read about Opryland. As long as they don;t try to make it some country hang out like Dollywood, lol. But as far as it bein at or across from Graceland, that I can't see them doin. At least I hope not. But he did say I would like the changes so we'll see what they decide to do.

There was a story here the other day on the news about the Whitehaven changes and the Brooks area, and they said that the city was planning to redevelop that entire area from the airport along Brooks down to EPB. So I guess Sillerman got his wish after all.

Last I heard, it's gonna cost EPE and Sillerman about $300M overall for all the new attractions and changes. So no tellin what's gonna go there in Whitehaven for that huge amount.

I'll let you in on all the details when I hear them, okay?

Holla back

<[email protected]> wrote:
    Hey Keisha, I was over at Urbanplanet.com under the Memphis City developments link looking for information about the redevelopments at Garceland and there was somebody in the know who said he was told that there's going to be a convention center and possibly a mini Opryland theme park in the plans for the new Graceland property. Do you know what he's talking about and can you find out any inside information from your source?

Thanks a lot Keke.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

meaningless efforts..of course means a lot for that S man..

Calm down and just let this all play out. Then make a judgment on the changes. All I am going to say about this is that if Lakeisha's friend said that she would like it then I know it's going to be something hip and cool and will bring in newer and younger fans and non fans and that the most important thing to look at. Is keeping him alive and popular.

Thank you for the info, I to have heard that there are massive changes planned around Graceland.
    Sillerman also said in an interview that he is thinking of moving the visitor center, etc...next to Graceland, where the main EPE headquarters are now, in the old church next to Graceland and where the Chapel is located.
    I wonder if when Lisa signed over a 99 year lease on Graceland to Sillerman if she made specific request's to not have Graceland or the grounds touched? Plus I think also w/Graceland being a historic landmark, etc...that they can't touch the home and grounds themselves.

UPDATE! Lakeisha posted a new messgae about the expansion plans over at the BMG forum. Sounds to me (from what she is implying) that those who live along the property line of Graceland will soon have to give up their land to the government.

Lakeisha_22 - Jul 1, 2007 10:07 pm (#2 Total: 2)

Born and raised in the Mtown, the city where it all started

This is all interesting. My friend just told me today that from what he hears, it's not gonna be a convention center after all, but a convention hotel which will have large spaces for conventions.

The hotel is expected to be approximately 400-600 rooms and possibly 6-8 stories. That's pretty big to be across from Graceland. Probably costing around 100 million or more.

The latest on the new Visitor's Center is that it will probably more than likely be built next to Graceland, but that the final plans are still bein put together on the designs and financial cost.

It sounds like the VC is the 100M dollar museum and attraction EPE has been wantin to build. Groundbreaking won't be until sometime early 08 at the earliest.

It now sounds like an eminent domain is definitely involved with this as well. I figured it would be. For those that don't know, that means the taking of personal properties that benifits a public business or company legally by the state government. That's why Sillerman said it was very important for the state to back the project. And they have done that.

The state and city is bein asked to fund some of the project as well. From my understanding everything is goin very smoothly on both sides.

My friend said the state may be taking as much as 300 homes from residents who live in and around the Graceland area before this is all said and done.

The bill for the domain has already been passed.

That's all for now.

The newly proposed $100 million Visitor's Center sounds awesome and is much needed! Maybe an IMAX Theater is in the works with this!

Well that sucks...I can't believe they'd displace 300 families who've owned homes around Graceland for awhile, etc....I am seriously thinking if I want to support EPE anymore by buying Elvis' merchandise they've endorsed or created....I think Elvis would not be very happy about this.

Quote Originally Posted by Suzan View Post
    Well that sucks...I can't believe they'd displace 300 families who've owned homes around Graceland for awhile, etc....I am seriously thinking if I want to support EPE anymore by buying Elvis' merchandise they've endorsed or created....I think Elvis would not be very happy about this.
    I totally agree with you, this is unbelievable.....poor people, poor Elvis.

Quote Originally Posted by EP75 View Post
    Calm down and just let this all play out. Then make a judgment on the changes. All I am going to say about this is that if Lakeisha's friend said that she would like it then I know it's going to be something hip and cool and will bring in newer and younger fans and non fans and that the most important thing to look at. Is keeping him alive and popular.

Took a long time but now I see how much they care. Give people time and you learn the truth. But it doesn't matter now anyway.

TCB Mafia
    Many people care a great deal, more than care, there is a deep love. This is being shown through their writing of songs, through continuing Elvis' legacy through giving to others, being happy themselves, raising happy, well adjusted children. This would make him proud, in my opinion?

Elvis' friends are spending time with his fans, sharing their love through stories, giving interviews, expressing their love, over the years some have gone on cruises with fans, sm, just having fun. Giving their time to fans whom they don't know, being available, sharing loving stories, developing friendships because of their love of Elvis.

There are people on a Loop I visit, who belong to many Loops, they say that they have made so many wonderful friends, lasting friendships, because of their shared love of Elvis. Some are quite ill, members pray for them, this is all they have, because of Elvis they are happy....what could be more special?

As we all know, big business, it isn't ever going to change. You are right in that way. In my opinion, it is the real people, families; love that matters. There is so much love, because of Elvis, that is why the loving people stay on these Loops and Sites, developing their own little families, because of Elvis.

Hugs,
    Jess

Graceland wouldn't be running anyone out of their homes. The Tennessee Government would do that by claiming the redevelopment of the Whitehaven area benefits the project to benefit the economy. The government and city of Memphis would help relocate the displaced by offering them more than what their land and property is valued at. It's written in the state laws. Actually this is great and it will clean up some of the scum around the mansion. I remember when I was last there in the mid 90's that I was disappointed at how people's homes were so close by. There's not much privacy. You could see panties hanging on a line in someone's back yard standing at his grave. These changes that are coming will only benefit Graceland and EP's image. Priscilla said that when E was in the Army that he told her that when he got back home he was going to buy up all the land that surrounded Graceland but was shocked to find out that it had all been sold to developers to build communities around. EP wanted that land for himself but the city sold it back then. Now he's going to get it back as he should have in the first place.

My vision of Graceland in the next 5 years would be of driving down EP Boulevard and not seeing a neighborhood or apartments. But seeing beautiful landscaping that you would find approaching Disney in Orlando. Then seeing the new layout. While visiting the mansion I would not want to see a house near the mansion as far as the eye could see. I want it to be as isolated from urban life or inner city life as possible. And I do believe that is Bob's master plan. You don;t build Convention Boutique hotels in the projects or middle to lower class communities. You invest and build in nice surroundings that attracts tourists and visitors in mass numbers. Bigger than what Graceland usually brings in which is why the expansion calls for doubling possibly tripling the amount of yearly tourists and visitors to Graceland.

Here is an example of a 300 room Convention hotel.

Here's another that is being built in Las Vegas.

This is our new convention hotel here in Huntsville next to the arena where EP performed in 1975 and 1976.

Just to clear the air about this expansion. NOTHING on the grounds of Graceland will be affected or touched. The mansion, the gravesite, the farm. Nothing of that will be messed with. The only thing on that property that is being considered for improvements would be the Racquetball court being turned back into the court where EP played racquetball and sang his last songs on earth. The awards, costumes and others items will be moved into their new facility when it is completed. It's the newer purchased property (apartment complexes, restaurant and businesses) over the past couple years that will be redeveloped with new attractions.

I agree I've met many many many great people thru Elvis, however, those are every day people and separated from what is going on now w/EPE, etc...
    Yes the gov't would do it, HOWEVER, who petitioned them?
    I don't think Elvis would want his home to be a "Disney" place....hotel's, convention centers, if I wanted that I'd go to Atlantic City...he bought his home because he wanted a HOME...and it should stay like that if they truly want to "honor" his memory.
    I do agree that his friends, etc...share their stories, so forth, but lets be realistic, they've made quite a nice living for 30 yrs. doing so.

LONG LIVE ELVIS and his Loving memory!

International Level
    I think this well be great for Memphis. Here oyu have muti-billion dollar home now and have apartments. Do I agree on Disney type them? Not sure, but in a way I think he's doing it for kids of today to attract them to Memphis and if they see the house and his music maybe they will want to know more about him and who he was.

You gotta remember I'm 23 I never heard or saw Elvis live. It was because of my grandparents who introduce me to his music. From very first note he sang when I was little I feel in love with him. He was great man yes he had his faults but who don't?

He was the "American Dream" to be boy from no where to be international superstar. I just hope I can keep his memories coming for years to come.

Love to all,
    Tim Dudley

[QUOTE=EP75;119236] Priscilla said that when E was in the Army that he told her that when he got back home he was going to buy up all the land that surrounded Graceland but was shocked to find out that it had all been sold to developers to build communities around. EP wanted that land for himself but the city sold it back then. Now he's going to get it back as he should have in the first place.

Nothing was said to Cilla about buying up all the land. That was her idea. She figured it would be her little project. If I remember correctly it would be some way to help keep fans away from Graceland.

Thanks For The Info..

[QUOTE=EP75;119236]

Here is an example of a 300 room Convention hotel.

omg

Quote Originally Posted by Suzan View Post
    I agree I've met many many many great people thru Elvis, however, those are every day people and separated from what is going on now w/EPE, etc...
    Yes the gov't would do it, HOWEVER, who petitioned them?
    I don't think Elvis would want his home to be a "Disney" place....hotel's, convention centers, if I wanted that I'd go to Atlantic City...he bought his home because he wanted a HOME...and it should stay like that if they truly want to "honor" his memory.
    I do agree that his friends, etc...share their stories, so forth, but lets be realistic, they've made quite a nice living for 30 yrs. doing so.

LONG LIVE ELVIS and his Loving memory!

[QUOTE=EPFriend;119351]
    Quote Originally Posted by EP75 View Post
    Priscilla said that when E was in the Army that he told her that when he got back home he was going to buy up all the land that surrounded Graceland but was shocked to find out that it had all been sold to developers to build communities around. EP wanted that land for himself but the city sold it back then. Now he's going to get it back as he should have in the first place.

Nothing was said to Cilla about buying up all the land. That was her idea. She figured it would be her little project. If I remember correctly it would be some way to help keep fans away from Graceland.
    Priscilla said this when she was on Sirius radio one day with George Klien back a few months ago. I downloaded it when Jason Edge posted the link at the BMG forum. She kind of hinted then that this was part of the plan. I realized this from reading between the lines.

Page 1 of 55 123456781151 ... LastLast