Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Black Butterfly aka Black Pyramid Jumpsuit (1972)

Coming On Strong Brad Stalnaker's Avatar

Re: Black Butterfly aka Black Pyramid Jumpsuit (1972)

I don't have the photo (I'm at work and the photo is at home).

I questioned the 2 suits theory too. But...I might have proof. I took the photos of the Black suit at the jumpsuit exhibit at Graceland in October of 2008 (see above)...I don't know if the display is still up or not.

BUT I was at the GRAMMY MUSEUM in Los Angelas this June (2010) and THEY have the (a) BLACK BUTTERFLY SUIT THERE!!!!!!!!!!! So when I saw it...I wondered if there is 2 suits...or is the Jumpsuit Exhibit over and Graceland sent the suit to LA.

Anyone know if a black suit is still on display at Graceland?...if so....I have photos of both (different) suits.

Mad Tigers

It is the same suit that was on disply at Graceland

No, it isn't. In fact two versions of the "Black Butterfly" are made. The one you see on the 1972 pictures has a cape with yellow lining and also the kick pleats are yellow lined.
    The version that is on display at Graceland has gold lining. I also saw the discussion about this suit. Some things will probably remain a mystery. But this suit does have two versions. Gene Doucette confirmed this to me during the meeting I had with him back in 2006. Sometimes this happened just to make it possible for Elvis to make a choice. You can draw a picture of a suit and then tell Elvis: "Hey, were gonna do this with yellow lining, or would you rather have a gold lining?". To avoid this they just made two version. Sometimes multiple versions were also made just to keep the staff working. That was the case with the 1973 "Spanish Flowers".
    Last edited by Leroy; 11-26-2010 at 09:42 PM.

Mad Tigers

Of course it is possible there is two suits, one with gold innlay, and one with yellow innlay, but the suit on display at the Grammy museum in Los Angeles and the one that was on display on Graceland is the same suit the one with the gold innlay.
    I tried to upload photos for 30 minuttes but it wont work so I gave up.

Coming On Strong thejumpsuitman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by merry77 View Post
    hmm weird. I asked B&K about half a year ago and they replied that Elvis had two suits, one gold lame and one yellow satin. Also it is very hard to replace all of the satin for lame. It means all the grommets, cape inside lining, even the satin cuffs on the sleeves.
    Never heard that story about tearing the pant leg.
    To my point!... I completely reject the premise that they are the authority. They have given two conflicting accounts. Give me a break, they know that Elvis tore the suit while putting it on? I call BS!

Coming On Strong thejumpsuitman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Leroy View Post
    No, it isn't. In fact two versions of the "Black Butterfly" are made. The one you see on the 1972 pictures has a cape with yellow lining and also the kick pleats are yellow lined.
    The version that is on display at Graceland has gold lining. I also saw the discussion about this suit. Some things will probably remain a mystery. But this suit does have two versions. Gene Doucette confirmed this to me during the meeting I had with him back in 2006. Sometimes this happened just to make it possible for Elvis to make a choice. You can draw a picture of a suit and then tell Elvis: "Hey, were gonna do this with yellow lining, or would you rather have a gold lining?". To avoid this they just made two version. Sometimes multiple versions were also made just to keep the staff working. That was the case with the 1973 "Spanish Flowers".
    LeRoy, you are absolutely amazing when it comes to research. You have come up with information that makes my head spin... That being said, don't put absolute belief in one man's account of an event that took place 40 years ago. There is no way on earth they tailored a second Butterfly suit at a cost of several thousand dollars and about a hundred man hours just to give Elvis a choice of the insert color. That is ridiculous. It would have only taken two or three hours at the most to open the lining and change all the satin to gold mylar.

And I highly doubt that the staff needed busy work to keep them occupied either. The suits were actually put together at Frank Page Design Studio in L.A. A friend of mine worked there along side Gene Doucette. Frank page studios is the company that Bill Belew contracted to bring his designs to life. They had plenty of work to do, including costumes for the Jackson 5, all kinds of TV specials, including Dance Fever (later), Captain and Tenille and many, many others.

This photo is in Elvis 71@40 it looks like this suit to me but the info says Cleveland 71 an i know he wore the Black Matador there. So any info on this pic and suit? I'm curious about it now.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cleveland.jpg  
    Last edited by Tommy; 05-23-2012 at 06:44 AM.
    I never looked for trouble but I never ran.

Backstage Pass

That photo is definitely the butterfly and not black pinwheel. Lining is yellow. Black pinwheel has red lining.

I though i was right so that means we have a photo of the Black Pryamid but no date, Yipee as there aren't many photos of this suit
    But i hope someone on here knows where and when it was taken

Very cool picture of that black butterfly suit on tour! So much for the idea that this suit never made it to the road. Where, I guess, is the question.
    I'm a roving roustabout...

Backstage Pass

These days I've come to realise that replacing the lining should not have been hard to do.
    The stud pattern at the flares is the same. Which means there is probably just one suit.
    Also the gold lame version clearly has studs that are tarnished, which means used. So my conclusion is lining has been replaced.

Quote Originally Posted by thejumpsuitman View Post
    To my point!... I completely reject the premise that they are the authority. They have given two conflicting accounts. Give me a break, they know that Elvis tore the suit while putting it on? I call BS!

if memory serves me right this pic is from thye book My Treasured Memories
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails blackpryamid.jpg  
    Last edited by Tommy; 05-23-2012 at 06:44 AM.

Thank you very much Julie for great photos.

I dream a world where man no other man
    will scorn. Where LOVE will bless the earth
    and peace its paths adorn...

I dream a world where man no other man
    will scorn. Where LOVE will bless the earth
    and peace its paths adorn...

Backstage Pass

go to flickr.com once on there do a search in the top right american eagle aloha from hawaii and you'll see there is a picture of the second butterfly suit and the tv show aloha suit in the same case and look at the lenght of both suits legs and size of the suit. that was way too big for elvis to wear. the first suit either was giving away and they had a replica made sized for someone alot taller, or changed all the linings , kickpleat, cape and cest inserts on the original ( which i don't understand why the cape would need changing ) and didn't hem the kickpleats back correctlly. He didn't wear this suit enough for them to have to change all that. my guess is it was a second suit made for display. and the suit is sized for butch of B&K who is about 6 foot 5, and elvis was 6 feet at most. EPE may have also orded this suit from IC costumes and just didn't give the right measurments being it was just for display . both are just guesses but look at the suit and make a judgement. also look at the close pics of this suit on this thread, the stiching on the lapel is not there like all his suits had, also the material doesn't look close to wool or garbadine but very grainy like felt. maybe to save money for display.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123