4 5.48%
  • 6 out of 10

11 15.07%
  • 8 out of 10

12 16.44%
  • 10 out of 10

43 58.90%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Black Pinwheel (aka) Black Matador Jumpsuit (1971-1972)

Too Much Monkey Business Jumpsuit Junkie's Avatar
    From what photo's I have seen I have never seen Elvis wear the original belt with this suit

I like this jumpsuit but to be honest with you, I prefer Elvis dressed in white...
    Goodbye Rosanne...Your "family" in TCB will always remember you.

International Level jean francois's Avatar
    I love it thank you

Here's a wallpaper that Harry (hcvegas) put together of this suit! It's fantastic! I'm sure this took a while to do? Great work, Harry!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails WP_blackpinwheel_hc08.jpg  

Nathan Belt
    www.nathanbelt.com

I Want Footage I Want Footage I Want A Concert
    ''Baby I dun told you, after the show"

I Love The Black Suits
    ''Baby I dun told you, after the show"

Great suit! He looked smokin' hot too...

Daddy, I miss you more every day. You will always be my hero..

Re: Black Pinwheel (aka) Black Matador Jumpsuit (1971-1972)

Great photos!!!!

Mad Tigers

Look at the windscreen on two of the pictures...and they are suposed to bee from Cleveland Ohio november 6, 1971 afternoon show (pictures taken from Paul Lichter book "From the city of brotherly love to the big apple".
    But Elvis did not use windscreen in 1971 ded he??? and the pictures is not from vegas january & february 1972 i think if you look at the background.
    So is this from the April tour, maybee Jacksonville evening show?? this is the only date i am not sure if the information we got from books and internet is corect.

Noone

International Level elvispresleytheking's Avatar

I wonder why he didn't keep wearing it in 1972.

Quote Originally Posted by noone View Post
    Look at the windscreen on two of the pictures...and they are suposed to bee from Cleveland Ohio november 6, 1971 afternoon show (pictures taken from Paul Lichter book "From the city of brotherly love to the big apple".
    But Elvis did not use windscreen in 1971 ded he??? and the pictures is not from vegas january & february 1972 i think if you look at the background.
    So is this from the April tour, maybee Jacksonville evening show?? this is the only date i am not sure if the information we got from books and internet is corect.

Noone
    It is Cleveland, November 6th.... he just took a different mike for a short while... It's probably the only time in 1971 you'll see him with a windscreenduring that year. There could have been a technical problem with the mic.

Quote Originally Posted by elvispresleytheking View Post
    I wonder why he didn't keep wearing it in 1972.
    It's quite possible Elvis did wear it in Vegas in Jan/Feb 1972. One of the reasons he did not keep on wearing it is because he wasn't fond of coloured jumpsuits, especially the darker ones because they were very hard to light on stage.
    Last edited by Leroy; 02-06-2009 at 01:19 PM.

Mad Tigers

Thank you :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Leroy View Post
    It's quite possible Elvis did wear it in Vegas in Jan/Feb 1972. One of the reasons he did not keep on wearing it is because he wasn't fond of coloured jumpsuits, especially the darker ones because they were very hard to light on stage.
    Hmm, but he did wear the black pyramid and the black conquistador that year, and the blue nail is my favorite jumpsuit.

Thank you, all for these wonderful pictures!I thimk that ELVIS looks very good in black ...
    I'll Remember You!!!

Quote Originally Posted by elvispresleytheking View Post
    Hmm, but he did wear the black pyramid and the black conquistador that year, and the blue nail is my favorite jumpsuit.
    He never wore a "Black Pyramid", simply because that suit doesn't excist. You are probably referring to the "Black Butterfly", a suit that has a resemblance to the "White Pyramid", only with tiny gold butterfly shaped nails, which go in the opposite direction....

But you are right about Elvis wearing black. He even wore more black jumpsuits like the two different versions of the "Black Spanish Flower".

One of the unique things about Elvis and his wardrobe design team is that Elvis always did put aside his personal taste, and he was always willing to try out new designs, even though he was not always as thrilled as the designers or the audiences. But if you look at his wardrobe you have to admit that the majority is white.... simply because this way Elvis was always visible on the stage.....

Personally I believe that the black jumpsuits, especially the "Black Conquistador" and both "Black Spanish Flowers" were top designs and that Elvis looked at his best in darker suits.

Too Much Monkey Business Jumpsuit Junkie's Avatar

I agree that Black was a colour that flattered Elvis even if he didn't like it.

The point in case would be the Two Piece Suits front 1975, they certainly helped when Elvis was heavier.

He never wore a "Black Pyramid", simply because that suit doesn't excist. You are probably referring to the "Black Butterfly", a suit that has a resemblance to the "White Pyramid", only with tiny gold butterfly shaped nails, which go in the opposite direction....

But you are right about Elvis wearing black. He even wore more black jumpsuits like the two different versions of the "Black Spanish Flower".

One of the unique things about Elvis and his wardrobe design team is that Elvis always did put aside his personal taste, and he was always willing to try out new designs, even though he was not always as thrilled as the designers or the audiences. But if you look at his wardrobe you have to admit that the majority is white.... simply because this way Elvis was always visible on the stage.....

Personally I believe that the black jumpsuits, especially the "Black Conquistador" and both "Black Spanish Flowers" were top designs and that Elvis looked at his best in darker suits.
    The black pyramid was the result of contradicting thoughts in my head, but thanks for the correction. Was the black butterfly worn in 1971, as EPE states?

No... as usual EPE has their facts wrong. The suit is a 1971 design (smaller bell bottoms) but it was delivered to Elvis in January 1972. The suit made its debut during the Jan/Feb 1972 season in Las Vegas and Elvis wore it a few times during that engagement using two different types of gold belts. He never wore it on a tour. There might be a possibility it was even used in Aug/Sept 1972 but that is pure speculation.....

There's even a chance that the suit has two different versions. As you look at some of the pictures where Elvis is posing in the "Black Butterfly" you can see that the lining of the cape and the lining of the kick pleats are yellow. The version that is on display at Graceland has gold linings.

No... as usual EPE has their facts wrong. The suit is a 1971 design (smaller bell bottoms) but it was delivered to Elvis in January 1972. The suit made its debut during the Jan/Feb 1972 season in Las Vegas and Elvis wore it a few times during that engagement using two different types of gold belts. He never wore it on a tour. There might be a possibility it was even used in Aug/Sept 1972 but that is pure speculation.....

There's even a chance that the suit has two different versions. As you look at some of the pictures where Elvis is posing in the "Black Butterfly" you can see that the lining of the cape and the lining of the kick pleats are yellow. The version that is on display at Graceland has gold linings.
    Thanks again for your help. I know EPE also said the Spanish Flower suits were ONLY used in 1971, and I know that's not true.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast