View Poll Results: Could Elvis Carry Off All That He Wore?

Voters
164. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, Of Course He Was The king!!

85 51.83%
  • Some Haven't Stood The Test Of Time

40 24.39%
  • What Are You Talking About Elvis Invented Fashion

39 23.78%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: 70's Fashion Faux Pas?

Too Much Monkey Business Jumpsuit Junkie's Avatar

70's Fashion Faux Pas?

I realise that fashion changes over the years, and the 70's sure seems funny to look at now.

There are many items of clothing that only Elvis could have worn and not be ridiculed

So to have a little fun, lets post some of the clothing that Elvis wore that you now think hasn't perhaps stood the test of time

I'll start with the cheeky number when Elvis met Jack Lord and his wife, the picture is great because they all look like they are having fun.

But that Jacket................ is it a little over the top?

Matt
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fashion.jpg  

Fashion

Some horrendous fashion faux pas (correct spelling, btw) in the 70s that spring to mind:

1. The "Penguin" suit, as worn on stage once in Vegas in August '75. I liked the other versions of the Flying Suits, but this was too much.

2. The Pontiac Suit, with puff sleeves and plunging curved shirt line. Just plain awful.

3. His "turban" phase. There are pics on the galleries here of him in these ridiculous head-covering creations.

4. The track suits, '76 - '77. Yes, he was putting on weight, but there were better ways to hide it. NO ONE, not even looks good in a track suit! The footage of him backstage from the unreleased Elvis In Concert footage, and getting off the plane meeting Todd Slaughter. Ugh!

Special mention: the white, terry-towelling hat he wore during his last vacation in Hawaii, '77. Nice combo with the blue track suit ... not.

Too Much Monkey Business Jumpsuit Junkie's Avatar
    Thank you for the correct spelling I wasn't sure, to much texting on my mobile rotting my brain away. I thought faux was the French term for "Fake"

The canes.....why oh why did he carry the canes?????? And the capes onstage were one thing, but offstage - way over the top.

Also hate the shots with the cigars. I realize that's not an article of clothing, but it just didn't suit him.
    "I can't see my reflection in the water. I can't speak the sounds that show no pain. I can't hear the echo of my footsteps. I can't remember the sound of my own name" - Tomorrow Is A Long Time

Elvis Presley Blvd Unchained Melody's Avatar
    Matt, the picture you posted is an awesome shot I think. To me, the jacket looks awesome on Elvis

And for the cigars and the canes he would use, he looked just as great with them imo !!!
    "How do I get placed in situations like this? Ah hell, I guess it's all part of showbusiness "~ Elvis in his limo on his way to perform in Omaha, NE on June 19th 1977

I'm no fan of the jumpsuit at all.

I'd rather seen him in the Comeback Special style more often or in suits

But I guess that is because I don't like the style of the seventies.

I like him in some of the first jumpsuits. They aren't as tacky as the later ones.

But I guess in the seventies his style was highly modern. I don't like it...sorry...

I have to agree somewhat with CurlySusi, I wasn't all that fond of the 70's style of clothing either but I did like most of the jumpsuits and some of Elvis' street clothing I really liked as well, especially the suits with the pocket flaps on the jackets. I like pocket flaps........... I think only Elvis could carry off the jumpsuits, capes, canes and cigars without looking ridiculous.

Backstage Pass
    I like the Jumpsuits, the one he wore for the Aloha From Hawaii concert was amazing
    He was a real classy dresser all though the 60s (check out some of the georgous shirts that some candid snaps capture him in, taken at the gates of Graceland).
    I do admit though towards the mid 70s he's dress sense went a bit awol :suprised: tho he hand'nt the shape to wear those figure-huging shirts that he did in the 60s
    My favourite picture of him is on the cover of the 60s masters box set in that black suit - WOW
    Last edited by Trev1; 01-18-2007 at 04:02 PM.

Elvis 70s Fashion Faux Pas

Ok, not that I'm particularly crazy about every outfit Elvis wore on stage, (like most of you, I have my favorites), but I think EVERYTHING looked great on him. Elvis was style. In many ways, he still is. But I have one question that's been nagging at me....on the CD "A Texan Trilogy" I think either right before or right after he sings "Love Me", he introduces himself as the NBC Peacock.....what was that all about? Was he referring to the outfit he was wearing? What? I have no clue....
    Last edited by vulcandude; 01-17-2007 at 07:58 PM. Reason: add words to post

Where did you see Elvis wearing capes off-stage?
    Specifically, I'm referring to the Nixon meeting.
    "I can't see my reflection in the water. I can't speak the sounds that show no pain. I can't hear the echo of my footsteps. I can't remember the sound of my own name" - Tomorrow Is A Long Time

Elvis Presley Blvd Unchained Melody's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by vulcandude View Post
    But I have one question that's been nagging at me....on the CD "A Texan Trilogy" I think either right before or right after he sings "Love Me", he introduces himself as the NBC Peacock.....what was that all about? Was he referring to the outfit he was wearing? What? I have no clue....
    Most likley he was making fun of himself..because the suite has a big Peacock on it...
    "How do I get placed in situations like this? Ah hell, I guess it's all part of showbusiness "~ Elvis in his limo on his way to perform in Omaha, NE on June 19th 1977

Quote Originally Posted by Leroy View Post
    In that case, my friend, I am afraid you are mis-informed. Elvis didn't wore a cape during his meeting with president Nixon, nor did he wore a purple suit made of pressed velvet.
    I know that some books, like the one of Albert Goldman, stated this fact. Also the movie "When Elvis meet Nixon" is showing a purple suit with cape.

Are you saying he never wore capes offstage?

Quote Originally Posted by Leroy View Post
    Not that I know of. Or it must be when he was travelling from the hotel to the building to perform.
    He also wore a cape during the press conference in the New York Hilton on June 9th, 1972 but that was also a kind of performance.
    My understanding of the origins of the capes onstage is that he had first incorporated the capes in his personal wardrobe and then they found their way into his stage act. Mind you I can't show you photos, but I have read this from more than one source.

Regarding the Nixon meeting, if he had the coat draped over his shoulders, it would pretty easy for people to mistake it for a cape. In the photos of the event it is very hard to tell.

Quote Originally Posted by Diane View Post
    I have to agree somewhat with CurlySusi, I wasn't all that fond of the 70's style of clothing either but I did like most of the jumpsuits and some of Elvis' street clothing I really liked as well, especially the suits with the pocket flaps on the jackets. I like pocket flaps........... I think only Elvis could carry off the jumpsuits, capes, canes and cigars without looking ridiculous.

I think Elvis could of worn anything looked great!!!!!!!!!! Dovey
    Get Him, get him~~Hot D*** ~~ he's a Squirrel!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PI7WiBUN_Bw

I loved his outfits of the 70's. That picture of him complete with flashlight meeting glen cambell is pure elvis fashion god. There are great pics in the elvis fashion book. My favourite in there was the red suede outfit that Cilla bought for him. Love the superfly coats, gypsy stage suit is fab.

TCB Mafia
    Quote Originally Posted by nashville cat View Post
    The canes.....why oh why did he carry the canes?????? And the capes onstage were one thing, but offstage - way over the top.

Also hate the shots with the cigars. I realize that's not an article of clothing, but it just didn't suit him.

Gosh, I don't smoke, and prefer people to not smoke around me....lol....but Elvis with a cigar was sexy! lol

Jess

TCB Mafia
    Quote Originally Posted by Dovey View Post
    I think Elvis could of worn anything looked great!!!!!!!!!! Dovey

Hi Dovey,

Elvis had a great sense of fashion, especially with the cut of his outfits and colour co-ordination. Timeless. With regard to the outfits of the 70's, I remember my hair and outfits from the 80's (huge shoulders).......now that was embarrassing...lol, although fashionable!

Jess

never saw, met or heard of another man who had the guts to feel free and brave about his styles in fashion as Elvis was..and he always looked greatest .Elvis was a great designer..however,those tailors love to credit themselves..

TCB Mafia
    Quote Originally Posted by 4THEHEART View Post
    never saw, met or heard of another man who had the guts to feel free and brave about his styles in fashion as Elvis was..and he always looked greatest .Elvis was a great designer..however,those tailors love to credit themselves..

One word:

"YEP"

Jess

I dont know about you... but i dont think these trousers a very sexy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails harumscarum3.jpg  
    [Royalties come and go....... But there is only one man we always call THE KING

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast